Zaliya's Unexpected Journey

By shivers00

Zaliya is not a normal middle earth being. She is a controller, she has power over fire, earth, water, and ai... More

About Zaliya-Prologue
Ch 1: Too Many Dwarves?
Ch 2: Who's She?
Ch 3: The First Day on the Road
Ch 4: Night Time Stories
Ch 5: Trolls?
Ch 6: The Brown Wizard!
Ch 7: The Chase
Ch 8: Rivendell
Ch 9: The Explanation
Ch 10: The Moon Map
Ch 11: The Last Days in Rivendell
Ch 12: The Council Meeting
Ch 14: Into the Fire
Ch 15: The Journey Continues
Sequel
New Story

Ch 13: Goblins?

817 30 2
By shivers00

Third POV
The company is crossing the Misty Mountains; the trail is narrow and dangerous, with a cliff on one side and a sheer drop on the other. There is a fierce storm in the air, with lightning and rain all around. 

"Hold on!" Thorin roars, thoroughly drenched and wishing Zaliya was with them to make this rain go away.

As Bilbo walks, the stone beneath his feet gave away, and he starts falling into the chasm; Dwalin manages to pull him back in time. 

Thorin shakes in the cold, "We must find shelter!"

"Watch out!" Dwalin shouts in warning. 

The dwarves look up and see a massive boulder hurtling through the air; it hits the mountain side above them, causing rocks to fall all around them as they press themselves against the mountain. 

"This is no thunderstorm; it's a thunder battle!" Balin said in awe, "Look!" 

The dwaves follow Balin's pointing hand to see a stone giant rear up from a nearby mountain. It rips off a massive boulder from the top off the mountain. 

Bofur leans forward his eyes wide, "Well bless me, the legends are true. Giants; Stone Giants!"

Thorin yanks him back, "Take cover, you'll fall!"

Kili tries to see around his brother, "What's happening?"

The giant they had seen before throws the boulder far in the air; another stone giant appears from behind the Company, and it is hit in the head. The dwarves yell at each other to brace and hold on, and the rocks beneath their feet begin to give way from all the vibrations and from the impact of the falling rocks. The ground between some of the Company members splits; part of the group is on one side, and part on the other.  

FIli looks in horror as his brother slips farther and farther away, "Kili! Grab my hand! Ki..."

 As the two stone giants fight with their fists, the dwarves hold on tight as they are flung around. One of the groups manages to jump to a different spot. A third stone giant appears, and it throws a boulder at the head of one of the first two. That one falls over; as the first group watches, it appears to them that the other group of the Company has been smashed to bits. The hurt stone giant loses its footing and falls down the chasm.  

Thorin runs toward the company that was crushed, "No! No! Kili!"

The rest of the group rushes to the spot where the others appeared to have been crushed, but they are safe. 

Balin waves his hand tying to calm his friends, "We're all right! We're alive!"

Bofur suddenly looks around frantically, "Where's Bilbo? Where's the hobbit?"

"There!" Ori yells pointing to hands desperately trying hang on to the edge of the cliff. 

"Get him!" Dwalin yells. Ori dives onto the ground and tries to grab Bilbo's arm, but Bilbo slips and falls another few feet before he catches another handhold. As the dwarves try to pull him up unsuccessfully, Thorin swings down on the cliff next to Bilbo and boost him up, where the others pull him to safety. Dwalin tries to lift Thorin back up too, but Thorin loses his grip and begins falling too; however, Dwalin, with much effort, is able to pull him back up. 

Dwalin sighs in relief, "I though we'd lost our burgalar." 

Thorin scowls at Bilbo, "He's been lost ever since he left home. He should never have come. He has no place amongst us. Dwalin!" 

Bofur frowns at him, "You should be glad Zaliya isn't here because she would toss you off this mountain." 

Thorin merely ignores him, and sends Dwalin to search the cave he had just found. 

"It looks safe enough," Dwalin shrugs.

"Search to the back. Caves in mountains are seldom unoccupied," Thorin commands. 

Dwalin searches the cave with a lantern, "There's nothing here."

Gloin drops a bundle of wood on the floor and rubs his hands. "Right then! Let's get a fire started."

Thorin shakes his head, "No, no fires. Not in this place. Get some sleep. We start at first light."

Gloin sighs, "Probably for the best, we wouldn't have been able to get this fire started without Zaliya. 

Balin stops Thorin as he walked to his sleeping area, "We were to wait in the mountains until Zaliya and Gandalf joined us. That was the plan."

Thorin sighs, "Plans change. We can only wait so long. Bofur, take the first watch." 

---

 The Company is resting in the cave; all the dwarves are asleep. Bilbo, only pretending to be asleep, stealthily opens his eyes and looks around. Seeing that no one is watching, he quietly rolls up his blankets and packs his things. Grabbing his walking stick, he starts to leave the cave, tiptoeing over the sleeping dwarves.  

Bofur, who is standing watch, sees Bilbo trying to leave. He jumps up to stop him, "Where do you think you're going?"

Bilbo runs his hand through his hair, "Back to Rivendell." 

Bofur shakes his head in horror, "No, no, you can't turn back now, you're part of the Company. You're one of us."

Bilbo frowns, "I'm not though, am I? Thorin said I should never have come, and he was right. I'm not a Took, I'm a Baggins, I don't know what I was thinking. I should never have run out my door."

Bofur smiles kindly, "You're homesick; I understand."

Bilbo shakes his head, "No, you don't, you don't understand! None of you do - you're dwarves. You used to - to this life, to living on the road, never settling in one place, not belonging anywhere."

Bofur looks at the ground slightly offended and Bilbo tries to apologize, "I am sorry, I didn't..."

"No you're right. We don't belong anywhere. I wish you all the luck in the world. I really do." With that Bofur gives Bilbo a pat on the shoulder as he starts to walk out the cave. "What's that?" 

Something is glowing; Bilbo pull his sword partway out of its sheath and sees that it is growing bright blue, meaning Orcs or Goblins are nearby. Thorin raises his head as he hears strange machinery noises and sees cracks form in the sand on the floor of the cave.  

He sits up with a start, "Wake up. Wake up!"

Before anyone can react, the floor of the cave collapses downwards. The entire Company falls down a chute, slides through a tunnel, and lands in a giant wooden cage. As they struggle to get up, a horde of goblins attacks them, takes away their weapons, and drags them all away. As the dwarves are lead away kicking and yelling, Bilbo somehow gets missed by the goblins; not seeing him they leave him behind. Nori, looking over his shoulder, sees this happen. Bilbo scampers behind some railing to hide as he watches the goblins proceed through the tunnels. Bats fly in the darkness. Bilbo draws his sword, which is glowing bright blue, and slowly follows the goblins. Suddenly, one goblin jumps out in front of him and rushes at him with his sword. After a brief fight in which Bilbo barely manages to keep himself alive, the goblin and Bilbo both fall over the edge of a platform and fall through the darkness.  

Meanwhile, the goblin horde brings the dwarves through a vast network of tunnels and wooden bridges to the throne room and platform of the Great Goblin. The Great Goblin is a massive Goblin sitting on a throne, holding a mace topped with a skull. He is far larger than any other goblin, and he is incredibly ugly, with warts all over her swinging chin. The dwarves' weapons are piled together. The Great Goblin jumps off his throne, trampling several goblins, and approaches the Company.  

The Great Goblin sneers down at the company, "Who would be so bold as to come armed into my kingdom? Spies? Thieves? Assassins?"

A small dwarf bows his head, "Dwarves, Your Malevolence."

"Dwarves?"

"We found them on the front porch."

The Goblin King grins, his chin swaying as he says, "Well, don't just stand there; search them! Every crack, every crevice."

The goblins search the dwarves thoroughly, throwing away whatever they find. Oin's hearing trumpet is thrown on the floor and crushed underfoot.  

  "What are you doing in these parts? Speak!" None of the dwarves respond.

"Well then, if they will not talk, we'll make them squawk! Bring out the Mangler! Bring out the Bone Breaker! Start with the youngest."  The Great Goblin points at Ori who is quivering in fear. 

Thorin steps forward, "Wait!"

The Goblin King wiggles his fat fingers at Thorin, "Well, well, well, look who it is. Thorin son of Thrain, son of Thror; King under the Mountain."

He bows mockingly, reminding Thorin of Zaliya's mock salute. Crossing his fingers that she'll turn up he glares at the disgusting creature. 

"Oh, but I'm forgetting, you don't have a mountain. And you're not a king. Which makes you nobody, really. I know someone who would pay a pretty price for your head. Just the head, nothing attached. Perhaps you know of whom I speak, an old enemy of yours. A Pale Orc astride a White Warg."

Thorin looks up in surprise, "Azog the Defiler was destroyed. He was slain in battle long ago." 

"So you think his defiling days are done, do you?" The Great Goblin cackles, then turns to a tiny goblin sitting in a basket and holding a slate. "Send word to the pale orc. Tell him I have found his prize." The tiny goblin writes down the message on his slate; cackling, he then pulls a lever, causing his basket to start sliding down a system of ropes and pulleys into the darkness.

The dwarves are yanked into a small circle, surrounded by goblins poking and prodding them. Meanwhile, dozens of goblins carry massive instruments of torture on their shoulders, bringing them to the Great Goblin as he sings. 

"Bones will be shattered, necks will be wrung! You'll be beaten and battered, from racks you'll be hung. You will lie down here and never be found, down in the deep of Goblin-town." 

Grinnah, one of the goblins, is examining the weapons the dwarves brought with them. He picks up Thorin's sword, Orcrist, and slides it a few inches out of its sheath. Recognizing the sword, he gasps in horror and throws down the sword. It lands in view of all the goblins. Recognizing it, the goblins howl in fear and rage as they retreat from it; the Great Goblin runs rapidly to his throne, trampling many goblins on his way. He speaks loudly, pointing at the sword, "I know that sword! It is the Goblin-Cleaver, the Biter, the blade that sliced a thousand necks." 

As he speaks, Grinnah and the rest of the goblins begin whipping the dwarves with ropes and leaping upon them, biting and slashing. 

"Slash them! Beat them! Kill them! Cut off his head!"

Goblins hold Thorin down, and one of them pulls out his knife and prepares to behead Thorin. 

"ZALIYA! WHERE ARE YOU?" Kili shouts in despair as he fights to get to his uncle. 

All of a sudden an arrow flies from behind the dwarves and into the goblin who's about to behead Thorin. He falls to the ground with a cry as everybody stills, wondering who shot the arrow. A hooded figure flips down from a high up ledge, landing on their toes. The figure straightens and removes the hood. The dwarves let out a cheer when they see Zaliya's smiling face. 

The goblins stiffen as she walks past them to stand infront of the shocked Goblin King. She mockingly bows, her face almost touching his rotten feet. 

The goblin king recovers from his shock and roars, "Someone grab this she-devil!" No goblin steps forward.

Zaliya frowns, "Now now is that a way to treat a guest and an old friend?"

The Goblin King quivered in fear as Zaliya flips her dagger in her hands, "You are not welcome here!"

Zaliya looked back on the dwarves and winked, "Now what have I ever done to you?"

"You killed my father!" whimpers the Great Goblin. 

Zaliya scratches her head, "Huh, don't remember that. My apologies. How bout I help you get back to him?" 

"No! No! Stay away from me!" mutters the Great Goblin, "Leave now and forget about your dwarf friends."

"Now I can't do that now can I?" Zaliya smirks, "As annoying as they are, they're my friends."

"Friends eh?" the Great Goblin grins, a plan forming in his head, "Someone grab the Mountain King!" Thorin struggles to get away as 10 goblins pin him to the ground. 

Zaliya's eyes turned black and her voice became cold, "Now you shouldn't have done that!" With that she pushes him off the ledge with a large gust of air. The goblins roar with rage and run at her, forgetting about the dwarves. The dwarves watch in horror and awe as goblin after goblin falls at Zaliya's feet. 

"Pick up arms you fools! Let's go!" a voice yells from behind the dwarves. Turning they saw Gandalf frantically waving them forward. 

"What about Zaliya?" Thorin asks turning to look back at her still fighting at the very edge of the ledge. 

"She can take care of herself now let's go!" 

"Zaliya!!" Kili yells in horror as she tumbled off the ledge with goblins clinging to her back. Thorin went to run toward her but Gandalf grabbed the back of his shirt and started running with the rest of the company in the opposite direction. 

"Quickly!" Gandalf commands letting go of Thorin. 

Dwalin sees several goblins running at them from in front, "Post!" he yells. He and some of the dwarves cut a guardrail post from the side of the path and they hold it out in front of them like a massive spear. "Charge!" 

He and the other dwarves charge at the oncoming goblins and sweep them away with the long rail. Dropping the rail, Dwalin pulls out his axes and begins knocking aside goblins. The rest of the company do the same. Gloin hits one goblin who falls and lands on another suspended path, breaking the path and dropping all the goblins on it into the darkness below. The rest of the Company also fight the goblins around them with their various weapons and fighting styles. Several goblins snarl as they swing on ropes toward the dwarves.  

"Cut the roped!" Thorin yells. Thorin and some of the dwarves cut the ropes holding a raised platform in place; the platform falls outward, entangling the goblins swinging on the ropes. As Kili fights, several goblins start shooting arrows at him. He deflects some arrows with his sword; he then grabs a nearby ladder and drops it on the oncoming goblins. Kili and some of the other dwarves run forward, pushing the ladder and the goblins it has trapped in front of them. As they approach a missing area of the path, the goblins fall down into the darkness; the ladder, however, acts as a bridge for the dwarves to cross to the rest of the path. As soon as they cross it, Dwalin breaks the ladder, preventing the goblins chasing them from crossing it. 

"Quickly!" Gandalf roars. The dwarves and Gandalf continue running through the maze-like paths; they get on a section of the path suspended by ropes from above. They slice some ropes, and the pathway swings away from the rest of the path, approaching a different path. 

"Jump!" Thorin shouts. Several of the dwarves manage to jump to the other path; however, before the rest can, the suspended path swings back like a pendulum to where it started, and several goblins leap on. As the path swings back again, the rest of the dwarves and Gandalf manage to jump to the new path as well; they cut the ropes, causing the swinging path and the goblins on it to fall. The dwarves and Gandalf continue running through the tunnels, killing all the goblins in their way. Gandalf strikes a rock above them with his staff, causing the rock to fall down and begin rolling in front of the Company, squashing all the goblins in their way. Soon, they approach a bridge between two walls of the cavern. As they try to cross it, the Great Goblin suddenly breaks through from underneath the bridge and pulls himself up onto the bridge, in front of the Company. As the Company pauses, hundreds of goblins approach them from all sides. 

"You thought you could escape me?" roars the Great Goblin, "With your female dead, there is no one to save you now?" 

Zaliya jumps from a higher bridge, landing with a thud in between the company and the Goblin King, "Who said I was dead?" 

The Great Goblin roars with anger and swings his mace twice at Zaliya, causing her to stumble back and almost fall. "What are you going to do now, controller?"

Zaliya leaps forward and strikes the Great Goblin in the eye with her dagger. The Goblin drops his mace and clutches his face in pain. "Ow, ow, ow!" he whimpers. 

Zaliya steps forward and slices the Great Goblin in the belly. He falls to his knees, clutching his belly. "You are the most disgusting creature in all of Middle-earth!"

He whimpered in fear, lost staring into her hard unforgiving eyes. Zaliya swings again and slices the Great Goblin's neck, causing him to fall down dead. "Go join your father," she spat. 

His weight causes the bridge to start shaking; suddenly, the section of the bridge on which the company is standing breaks away from the rest of the bridge and starts sliding down the side of the cavern. The bridge slides at a terrific speed down the cavern's wall, demolishing everything in its way; the dwarves cling on, screaming in terror."Ah shit!" Zaliya muttered as she struggled to bring the fall to a slow. The bridge slows down and lands at the base of the cavern, breaking apart and burying the dwarves in the timber and wood. Gandalf and Zaliya get up from the pile of wreckage and inspect the rest of the dwarves, who are still stuck in the wreckage.

Gasping Zaliya leaps up onto the top of the wreck causing the dwarves to cry out in pain, she lifts her hands, holding the Great Goblin's dead body from squishing the dwarves. "Hurry up you idiots! He isn't that light!" Zaliya groaned in pain.  

As the dwarves extricate themselves from the rubble, Kili looks up and sees thousands of goblins running at them. "Gandalf!"

Zaliya heaves the Great Goblin with all her might, causing it to fly into the incoming goblins, knocking them down. 

Dwalin looks around frantically, "There's too many! We can't fight them." 

Gandalf waved his hand forward running into the tunnels, "Only one thing will save us: daylight! Come on! Here, on your feet!" The dwarves get up quickly, helping each other out of the rubble, and they run away, following Gandalf. Zaliya keeps to the back of the company, running backward making sure no goblin could get too close. 

Phew! That was a long chapter! Hope you guys liked it! Took a while to write. Hope you all are having a fantastic day! Don't forget to comment, vote, and follow!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

78.2K 1.5K 26
Persephone is the rarest race in Middle Earth. She isn't a half breed... but a quarter breed. What she doesnt tell anyone outside of the Wizards is t...
312 24 4
Several months after the company of Thorin Oakenshield reclaimed their homeland, the Bagginses come home to Erebor. Fili trains to be the next King U...
2.4K 137 14
A THORIN OAKENSHIELD x OC FANFIC Blair Baggins, sister to Bilbo Baggins, has lived in The Shire her whole life, considering what's beyond the border...
239K 7.9K 70
Love is complicated. Especially if you were forced to marry someone who doesn't even like you. But for Mivera, unlike most arranged marriages, has gr...