Another Take (A Naruto Fanfic...

Spirit_of_the_Wolf6 द्वारा

Kiyomi Himura has a rather large problem. A chakra beast with an earth nature, the wolf named Fenrir, sealed... अधिक

A Quick Word
Disclaimer and Notes
*Prologue: Fireflies
*Ch. 1: At the Beginning
*Ch. 2: Here's To The Zeroes
*Ch. 3: Just a Little Girl
Ch. 4: My Demons
Ch. 5: If Today Was Your Last Day
Ch. 6: Truth or Dare
Ch. 7: She Is The Sunlight
Ch. 8: Chemicals React
Ch. 9: Chasing Cars
Ch. 10: Hello Cold World
Ch. 11: It's Complicated
Ch. 12: Already Over
Ch. 13: Dance With The Devil
Ch. 14: Here's To The Past
Ch. 15: Fighting
Ch. 16: The Ghost Of You
Ch. 17: Right Back At It Again
Ch. 18: Eyes Of The Devil
Ch. 19: Get Off My Back
Ch. 20: Five Against The World
Ch. 21: Start The Shooting
Ch. 22: You Can't Take Me
Ch. 23: Have Faith In Me
Ch. 24: War Of Change
Ch. 25: I'm Still Here
Ch. 26: Rooftops
Ch. 27: Break Me Down
Ch. 29: In The End
Ch. 30: Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
Ch. 31: Unknown Soldier
Ch. 32: Missing
Ch. 33: Iris
Ch. 34: The Downfall Of Us All
Ch. 35: The End Of The Beginning
Epilogue: Closing Time
Bonus Chapter 1: Colors Of The Rainbow
Bonus Chapter 2: What If
Bonus Chapter 3: The World We Knew
Soundtrack
SEQUEL

Ch. 28: It Has Begun

3.4K 172 38
Spirit_of_the_Wolf6 द्वारा

~But nothing could ever stop us from stealing our own place in the sun. We will face the odds against us, and run into the fear we run from~

Third POV

The stadium was packed, the crowds were cheering, and the sun was bright. It was time for the final round of the Chunin Exams, the third-round one-on-one battle tournament. Arguably the most exciting of the three rounds.

People from all over the continent were waiting for the fights to commence, placing bets on who they thought would win based on rumors they'd heard about each contestant. And if you listened close enough, the favorites to win the whole thing were both competitors from the Hidden Sand, siblings Gaara and Kaizen. Though the rumors of an Uchiha fighting were enough to make some seriously heavy betting get going.

Most of the Genin planning on participating in the fight were standing in a line on the arena floor, staring into the crowds with varying degrees of nervousness displayed on their faces. But five of the original twelve were missing, a worryingly large number.

These five were Naruto Uzumaki, Sasuke Uchiha, Kiyomi Himura, Taishi, and Dosu Kinuta.

Apparently, the bodies of the two Sound ninja had been found the previous night, both brutally murdered. It was worrying, but understandable, as the Hokage knew some of the competitors were rather bloodthirsty. They didn't know for sure who did it, but Hiruzen had an idea.

Their deaths brought the number of matches down to five, and also reduced the number of competitors. It also affected the bracket, but no one was worried about that now. The Genin were really worried about surviving the first match. Well, some of them were. Others could care less.

"Get out of the waaaaaaaay!" someone yelled as a cloud of dust rapidly approached the entrance to the stadium. Only after the leading figure circled around was it visible that the person was Naruto Uzumaki, and he'd been chased by a herd of bulls.

"What did you do now?" Shikamaru asked with a groan. "Idiot. You were almost late."

"But I wasn't!" Naruto grinned happily. Then he managed to get a look around, and frowned, the happy expression dropping from his face. "What happened to all the other Genin? Weren't there more than this?"

The Nara nodded seriously. "Yeah, but four people haven't shown up yet. Including two of your teammates."

"Seriously? Kiyomi and Sasuke aren't here yet?" Naruto exclaimed, looking around frantically to see if he could try and spot them. "That's weird! I bet Kakashi-sensei made Sasuke late, but Kiya-chan's not one to be late to something as important as this!"

"Well, neither of them have shown up yet," Shikamaru shrugged. "Honestly, I'm fine with that. I don't want to go against either of them."

Naruto pouted. "But I do!" Then the blond grinned. "Oh well. They'll show up! Believe it!"

Shikamaru rolled his eyes, but didn't argue any more. It was useless, as Naruto was incredibly stubborn.

Further along the line of Genin, Kaizen and Gaara exchanged a glance. Neither of their opponents were here yet, which was worrying. The plan must succeed, at all costs. But it wouldn't if the brothers were forced to fight each other.

After all, one of Kaizen's special abilities, besides the Steel Release, was his skill in fuuinjutsu, the art of sealing. It was why their father trusted the older boy to be around Gaara, as he could hold back Shukaku if it was truly necessary.

Once it appeared that no more people would be arriving, Lord Hokage stood up in his special seating area. Another man was there, one who had the bottom of his face covered. The Kazekage.

"Thank you to everyone who had come for the Third Round of the Chunin Exams!" the Hokage announced, his voice projecting throughout the entire stadium. "We will now commence the fights between our twelve- No, excuse me, ten competitors!"

There was some muttering in the crowd, because only eight people were present on the field. And some had even heard that there'd been twelve fighters originally. Where were the missing four people?

Now the proctor for this exam stepped forward, holding a piece of paper. "Listen up!" he commanded. "There have been a few changed to the match-ups."

The proctor showed the paper to the Genins, letting them see the new matches. Originally there were three blocks of fights, but now there were only two. The removal of one fight had made it so that there was also a single match, and the winner of that would move on to fight the winner of the second block. Then the winner of that match would fight the winner of the first block in the final fight.

"Awesome..." Shikamaru muttered sarcastically. "This is great." The lazy Nara was unhappy about the fact that he was one of the four people who had to fight four times if he wanted to win the whole tournament, as opposed to the six who only fought three times. The other unlucky three were Temari, Kaizen, and Kiyomi.

"Hey, I have a question!" Naruto suddenly asked, raising his hand. The proctor nodded at him, and Naruto continued. "What happens if Sasuke and Kiyomi don't show up?"

The proctor sighed. "Well, if they don't show up by the time their match is called, they automatically forfeit, and lose the match."

Naruto grimaced. Where were they...?

======

Kiyomi's POV

"Ryuuko, I swear I'm going to be late if you don't hurry up!" I yelled at the red-haired man. He told me he wanted to give me something before I set off for Konoha, but when I mentioned this half an hour ago, he'd basically panicked, and started rifling through all his stuff.

"Oh, give me a minute." Was Ryuuko's irate reply.

"You said that twenty minutes ago!" I snarled. "I need to get moving if I'm gonna make it there in time!"

"Found it!" Ryuuko announced triumphantly, holding up the object he'd been searching for. "Here," he carefully handed it to me.

It was a small pouch, brown in color. It seemed to be... Identical to the ones Ryuuko stored Kiriyoru in.

"You didn't..." I asked cautiously, holding the pouch carefully in my hands. It didn't smell like the drug, but Ryuuko's a genjutsu master. And I wouldn't put it past him. My sensei was prone to do little things like this.

Ryuuko chuckled. "I did, actually. But-"

The Sage was cut off when I flinched because Fenrir had roared loudly in my head. 'You did not just give my host a drug!' Fenrir was pissed. 'If you're gonna give her drugs, wait till she's eighteen or twenty! She's TWELVE!'

"What did he say...?" Ryuuko asked with a slightly nervous expression on his face. Over the course of the month, the red-haired man had met and talked with Fenrir on various occasions (all while Fen was possessing my voice), and the two had seemed to get along well. But Ryuuko'd also learned the hard way that Fenrir would do quite a lot to ensure my safety.

I rubbed my temple, feeling the ache caused by Fenrir's roar to slightly fade. "Well, he's pissed at you. Apparently you can't give me drugs till I'm eighteen or twenty."

"That's not a problem," Ryuuko said dismissively. "That isn't for you, anyways. It's for Orochimaru, if you see him."

I raised an eyebrow. "And just why do you think I'm going to give a rogue Sage a pouch full of drugs?"

"Because I'm asking you to," Ryuuko's tone took on an almost pleading sound. "This isn't bad or anything. I just.... I need to do this."

I frowned. My gut was telling me that this was a horrible idea, and I should just not even bother, and leave right now. But my heart disagreed.

Over the course of the month, Ryuuko and I had grown closer. He'd told me stories of his team, and all their antics and such. Quite frankly, his team had an eerily similar dynamic to my own team. But I'd also listened to his stories about his friendship with the Snake Sage, and from the way he talked, I almost thought there was something more than friendship between them.

But when I questioned Ryuuko about this, he simply shook his head and changed the subject. Meaning that something had happened, but it was either painful or sad to think about. Probably having something to do with Orochimaru going rogue.

I definitely wasn't comfortable giving a rogue shinobi this pouch, but I could see how much Ryuuko wanted me to do it. Sure, I wondered why he didn't do it himself, but maybe he didn't want to see the snake again.

So, against my better judgement, I nodded. "I'll do it."

The Lizard Sage smiled softly. "Thank you," he mumbled. "I really appreciate it. But you should get going now. Don't want to be late."

My eyes widened. During all this talking, I'd almost forgotten that I have somewhere I need to be! "Right, right!" I said hurriedly, racing inside the cave to grab my stuff. I quickly grabbed my small pack, and threw it on my back. I shoved the pouch Ryuuko had given me in a side pocket, then stood up and ran back outside.

"Kiyomi..." Ryuuko said as I was starting to head down the trail out of the mountains. "You are always welcome back here if you so wish to return."

I smiled. "I'll most likely end up taking up that offer," I said, looking over my shoulder. I waved once, then began to head out again. "See you, Ryuuko."

There was no reply, and I could tell that Ryuuko's chakra presence was fading. Figures. Once a hermit, always a hermit.

'Let's get going,' Fenrir said, shifting impatiently in my head. 'When you came here, it took you a little less than a day to get here. With your improved abilities, it shouldn't take as long, but I recommend hurrying. The Exams technically start in six hours.' (A/N: I'm saying the Exams start at noon, and it's early morning right now. Just clarifying)

Right. The problem is, getting back is going to tire me out, which isn't a good thing if I'm fighting against a strong opponent the moment I get back. My stamina has improved, but only so much.

I knew I should have left yesterday... But nooo. I obviously needed the last-minute training. Ugh.

'I can lend you chakra, but keep in mind you've still got a ways to travel,' Fenrir cautioned. 'My suggestion? Use a Summoning.'

Ah yes. One of the things I'd learned over the month, and which had thankfully only taken about two weeks to learn. Ryuuko told me I picked it up rather well, as most people would take a while longer to learn it.

'But that takes a lot of chakra....' I muttered. That was true, as every time I used the jutsu, I got rather tired for a while.

'Not a problem. Use mine,' Fenrir offered. 'You've been using your own chakra this whole time for Summonings. It will be easier if you use mine. And I can recharge some as we travel.'

I shrugged, and without another thought, performed the jutsu. Like Ryuuko, I had made a contract with the lizard tribe, and was able to summon some of them. Unlike Ryuuko, I couldn't summon the huge Dinari, who was Ryuuko's personal summon, but I'd made a friend in Dinari's son, a small black lizard named Machai.

"Summoning Jutsu!" In a poof of smoke, a small lizard had appeared.

Machai wasn't the largest lizard I'd ever seen, but he also wasn't the smallest. His body was about the length and width of my arm, and his tail was the same length. Machai's entire body was covered in black scales, and his eyes were orange with a slit pupil.

"Yo," Machai said calmly, staring at me from his spot on the ground. "What'cha need?"

"Do you have any way of transporting a person over a large distance?" I asked hurriedly.

The black lizard seemed to think for a moment. "Yeah, but it's not instantaneous. And I can only cover five miles at most in one jump."

I frowned. "Can you do about twenty jumps?"

"What?!" the lizard screeched. "Twenty? Why do you need to travel a hundred miles away, and why aren't you getting there yourself?!"

I rolled my eyes, sighing. I love Machai and all, but he can be a little dramatic at times. This being one of them. "I have to get to Konoha while using as little effort as possible. Hence why I summoned you."

"But-But-" Machai whined, his eyes pleading. "Why me?! Why not Senri or Hyla?!"

"Because," I groaned. "I remember you bragging about how you were the best at long distance travel when all four of us were training a week ago."

The lizard sweatdropped. "Well..."

"Just get on with it," I said. "We need to be at Konoha in less than six hours."

Without a word, Machai stepped backwards, right into the shadow of a nearby tree. The lizard's black scales blended in perfectly with the darkness, and Machai's orange eyes flashed once. The shadow began to lengthen, spreading along the ground towards me.

"Ready?" Machai asked from inside the shadow. "Time for jump one of twenty."

The shadow connected with my own, and suddenly I was sucked in. My world blurred, spinning erratically, but then straightened out a moment later.

I shook my head to clear the dizziness, and caught sight of Machai panting on the ground. The black lizard looked as dizzy as I felt, and stumbled to his feet.

"And... Number one... Done," Machai wheezed.

I smirked at the three versions of Machai that were in front of me. "Yep. And only nineteen more to go."

The lizard groaned. He staggered towards me, and collapsed at my feet. "Are you serious?" he asked wearily. "Do I have to?"

I nodded, having narrowed down my vision to only two lizards. "You do," I confirmed.

Machai groaned again, but extended his slightly wobbly shadow towards my own. They connected, and once again the world blurred.

======

Third POV

"If I determine that the fight is over, I will step in and stop it," the proctor of the Third Exam was saying. "Now, the first fight is Naruto Uzumaki versus Neji Hyuga. The rest of you, head on up to the waiting room."

The Genin filed out of the arena, except for Naruto and Neji. Those two remained standing in the arena, facing each other.

Then Neji smirked. "You look like you have something to say," he said to Naruto mockingly.

The blond's expression didn't change. "I told you before," Naruto said evenly, pointing his fist at Neji. "You're definitely going down."

======

The crowd was growing restless.

Naruto and Neji's match had just concluded, and the blond had surprised many by triumphing over the Hyuga prodigy. Next, however, was the most anticipated match yet. The last Uchiha versus the Sand's killing machine.

But Sasuke wasn't there.

"We have no choice..." the Hokage muttered. "Sasuke must be disqualified."

The Kazekage shook his head. "No, Hokage-sama, let's give him some time." The Hokage frowned, and started to say something about how Chunin should be punctual, but the Kazekage interrupted him again. "You are aware that most of the shinobi leaders, myself included, are here for this particular match, aren't you?"

The Hokage sighed. "... Very well." Then he turned to look at a nearby Chunin. "Tell Genma that this match will be postponed, and we will proceed with the next match."

"Um, Hokage-sama?" the Chunin asked. "One of the next match's participants, Kiyomi Himura, isn't here either."

Hiruzen groaned. "Well, we've already done it once, why not do it again?" he asked nobody in particular. "Postpone the third match as well, and move on to the fourth."

"As you wish," the Chunin said, then teleported in a poof of smoke, only to reappear in the arena next to Genma. The Chunin whispered to Genma what was happening, and the Jonin nodded. Then the Chunin disappeared again.

"Ladies and gentlemen!" Genma yelled, silencing the rowdy crowd. "The contestants for the next two matches haven't arrived yet, so we will be moving on to the fourth match!"

"Phew," Naruto sighed. "At least they're not disqualified."

"But this sucks!" Shikamaru groaned. "Now my match is even closer than before!"

The proctor ignored the Nara's complaints, and called the next two competitors down. "Shino Aburame and Kankuro! Come down!"

Shino nodded, and began to walk down the stairs, but Kankuro didn't move. It seemed like he was having an internal debate with himself. Which was resolved when the Suna nin raised his hand. "I forfeit!" Kankuro yelled.

Shino looked kind of annoyed, though it was hard to tell behind his jacket. The proctor frowned, but nodded. "Very well. Kankuro of Sunagakure has forfeited! Next match- Shikamaru Nara versus Temari!"

Temari appeared on the field in a swish of wind. But Shikamaru groaned, and was about to raise his hand to forfeit as well. That's when Naruto slapped his back with enough force to send the lazy Genin falling over the railing.

The crowd simply stared as Shikamaru landed with a thump on the ground below. Then the jeers began. Seems like nobody really liked the lazy Genin.

"Ugh..." Shikamaru muttered, rubbing the back of his head as he stood up. "They all want Sasuke's match, don't they? Well, no point in delaying them with a side act."

Above in the waiting room, most of the Konoha Genin sighed. "He's really not motivated, is he?" Asuma, Shikamaru's Jonin sensei mumbled around the cigarette in his mouth. The other Genin nodded in agreement.

Temari curled her lip in disgust at her opponents lack of interest. "Well, if you won't fight, then I will!" she yelled, grabbing her fan and running towards the Nara. Completely ignoring the proctor yelling that he hadn't officially begun the match.

======

Temari and Shikamaru stood facing each other at the center of the arena. Shikamaru had just managed to capture Temari in his shadow, using the holes Naruto dug earlier in the day. The crowd was tense in anticipation, waiting to see just what the outcome of this surprisingly interesting match would be.

Then Shikamaru sighed. "That's it. I give up."

There was complete and utter silence in the arena for a few seconds after Shikamaru said that. No one could believe it. The Nara had Temari cornered, and could have easily won the match. So why'd he give up?

The proctor sighed again, a small grin on his face. "Alright then. Winner, Temari."

Shikamaru began to disconnect his shadow from Temari's, but then a weird feeling ran through him. The shadow began to wobble, bending in various directions. It almost seemed as if the shadow was trying to expand, but was confined by it's dependence on the lack of sun.

"What the...?" Shikamaru muttered, trying to control the shadow. "What's going on?"

Suddenly, the shadow seemed to give up. It steadied, and turned darker right in the center. Then two dark shapes began to rise out of it, like something coming up from deep water.

It was over in a second. The shadow seemed to spit both the figures out, then retreated to it's normal dimensions.

The entire arena as one looked at the two figures laying sprawled on the ground. One was human, one was most definitely not.

The first shape was familiar to most of the Genin. Especially when they saw the black figure of a wolf sewn into the back of a tan jacket. One of the missing competitors, Kiyomi Himura.

The other, however, wasn't recognizable to many. Actually, it was only recognized by two people. The Hokage, and the Kazekage. This was a small-ish black lizard, known to them as Machai.

Kiyomi staggered to her feet, shaking her head as she looked around. The purple-eyed Genin had a smirk on her face as she realized she was exactly where she wanted to be, and hopefully at the right time as well.

"Kiyomi?" Shikamaru asked, cocking his head as he appraised her. "Where have you been? You're late."

Kiyomi turned, and saw that she wasn't alone in the arena. "Oh, Shikamaru," she frowned. "Did I interrupt your match?"

"No you didn't," Temari said, taking a step forward as well as she folded her fan. "We just finished."

"Temari?" Kiyomi looked. Then her eyes widened. "Crap! I'm late!" She turned to look at the proctor, who seemed to be rather confused. "Am I too late to fight?"

"And you are?" Genma asked. Sure, he was pretty sure he knew who this girl was. But it never hurts to make sure.

Kiyomi smirked. "I'm Kiyomi Himura." A groan from Machai distracted Kiyomi from being dramatic, and the Genin turned to look at her summoning. "Oh, Machai. Are you okay?"

The lizard didn't raise his head, only groaning again. "I've... Been better. Can I.... Go?"

Kiyomi nodded. "Yeah, go ahead. Rest up." The lizard didn't say another word, disappearing in a poof of smoke. Kiyomi turned to look at the proctor again.

Genma sighed. "Well, technically you should be disqualified for being so late. But the Hokage said he was postponing your match, so I guess you're going now."

Kiyomi nodded. "Got it. I'm ready, so let's go."

"Kaizen, get down here!" Genma yelled. The black-haired Suna nin smirked, and glanced briefly at his youngest brother. Kaizen had been given some information from Gaara about this girl, and with this knowledge, the oldest of the Sand Siblings knew he could easily beat this strange purple-eyed girl.

Host or not.

~It has begun~

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

508K 13.6K 17
Jordan Jenkins knew she'd found the one true love of her life at the tender age of sixteen. For four years, it was a long honeymoon phase, filled wit...
1M 55.4K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...
131K 3.2K 158
So we all know the loving, orange haired 15 year old named Ichigo Kurosaki, well he has a twin sister other than Karin and Yuzu. Her name is Kuroki K...
32.8K 900 78
*I don't own any bit of the Tokyo Ghoul plot, characters, etc. but I do own the characters Raven, Devin, and Tae, etc.* What happens when three colle...