Gods & Monsters

By SierraRamseyer

Cordelia Winters has been an anomaly since the day she was found as a baby on the lakeshore of her adopted pa... More

update
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE

FIVE

3.3K 197 18
By SierraRamseyer

Aden

    I sit at the bar inside Ciara's home, my eyes like daggers as I stare down my drink. I'm dreading this night, and it's not just because of the white-haired goddess that I know will be arriving shortly. Kieran sits next to me, his presence like a cruel reminder of what we're all doing in this godforsaken realm.

    "You need to have three more of those, friend," He says before taking a sip of his drink. "You have to be nice to her for this to work."

    "Who says I want it to work?"

    "Dagda does." He says, matter-of-factly. "We are doing this for the sake of our kind, of our people."

    "They don't care to be saved, at least what's left of them, and you know that."

    I see him flinch at my words and I curse myself for being too harsh, knowing he's as optimistic as his sister and wishes our fates hadn't been the downfall of our Gods—our leaders.

    I, on the other hand, have accepted my fate.

    I know that this is what's left of me. That no matter how hard I fight, how hard I try to save my kind, our numbers are dwindling, and fast. All because of that goddess—

    Speaking of the Deamhan, I turn once I feel her presence fill the room. I feel her cold mingle with my warmth, her icy fingers lacing through my body like the cruel hands of death. I take her in like the ocean takes her victims, in giant, unmerciful waves, and feel something stir within my jeans as I curse the Gods for my lack of self-control.

She's dressed in a simple white dress, but it looks anything but simple on her. Her hair is curled in long, blonde waves and her icy eyes catch mine instantly. I see the flush of her cheeks rising, proving that I affect her just as much as she does me. The pink color seems to warm her cold expression every time her eyes meet mine, and I can't say I don't relish the feeling it elicits.

    "Hello," Kieran says, standing with a wide smile. He closes the distance and offers his hand to her, a human interaction I've never quite understood. "I'm Kieran, Ciara's brother."

    "Nice to meet you, Kieran." Lia shakes his hand and offers him a smile, a single gesture she has yet to gift me. I take a long drink from my whiskey before I stand, making my way over to them. Lia watches my movements carefully, her eyes assessing.

    "Hello, Lia. Nice to see you again," I say, trying to keep my voice polite. She nods in my direction, not offering a smile like she did for Kieran. I twist my expression, but quickly regain composure and look to her friend. "Chloe,"

    "Hi," She says, smiling. "It's nice to formally meet you."

    "Likewise." I look over to Kieran who doesn't seem the least bit bothered, his smile as wide as ever and blonde, curly hair making him look innocent and not some ruthless demi-god warrior with blood tainting his soul for eternity. "Can I offer you ladies a drink? Ciara is still in the kitchen putting together something for us to eat."

    "Yes, thank you," Lia says.

"I'm good," Chloe shakes her head, offering a half smile."I'm DD for the night," She explains.

"DD?" Kieran raises a brow in her direction and she furrows hers, laughing with shock.

"You know, designated driver? I'm her ride."

"Oh right, sorry, sometimes my head is in the clouds." Kieran flashes her a smile that melts away the uncertainty on Chloe's face. He does better than me because I am still lost on the term, but decide it's not important enough to try to understand. "So, Lia, what will it be? We love our whiskey around here, but we have some wine as well."

    "Wine is perfect," Lia says as she wrings her hands nervously in front of her, her eyes looking anywhere but at me. I let my eyes rake up the expanse of her long legs, taking in her hips and the curves of her breasts that are pressing against her chest from the white lace of her dress. My cock twitches when I focus on her pebbled nipples beneath the lacy fabric, and my hands begin to grow with warmth, the tingling sensation prickling at my fingers. I tear my eyes from her and turn, focusing on the ornate decor along the walls and balling my fists inside my pockets.

    Dear Gods, she's going to be the death of me.

    "So, Aden," I hear Chloe ask from behind me. I suck in a sharp breath and turn, my jaw locking and flexing slightly. "Are you from here?"

    "No," I answer simply, trying to keep my gaze from her friend who stands at her side, her eyes locked to the floor below as if something is interesting there. "I'm from...out of the country."

    "Oh really? Is that why you have an accent? You all do, actually—It almost sounds Irish."

    "More or less," I say, nodding. Her guess isn't too far off since Ireland is now the land where I was born, but my origins and the few hundred years under my belt have meddled my voice into a dialect only the Gods seem to share.

    "Oh, how cool. Right Lia?" Chloe nudges Lia next to her and her head shoots up, her eyes locking on mine like magnetic forces pulling them to me.

    "Yeah, that's pretty cool." She says, giving me a small smile. I try not to react to the small sentiment, but I ingrain the image to memory, locking it away for the rest of my existence.

    "Here you are." Kieran steps forward with a glass full of wine, handing it to Lia who softly thanks him. I would have not poured that heavy, but I don't say a thing fearing Lia might take it the wrong way.

Look at me, a descendent of Arawn, watching his tongue, fearing for this little Deamhan's feelings.

    "Are there any others coming?" Lia asks before taking a sip of her wine. Her eyes widen as she looks down at the glass, licking the deep crimson that dribbled on the soft pillow of her bottom lip. I feel the sudden need to taste the sweet nectar right from her mouth, but quickly force the urge down.

    "No, unfortunately, it's just us tonight. But we can make our own fun, right?" Kieran looks at me as if cueing me to speak.

    "Of course," I glare at Kieran, but he ignores my hard look completely, using his finger to tip up the bottom of my glass, telling me to drink. I take another long pull, trying to ease the unfamiliar feeling inside my gut.

"What kind of wine is this?" Lia asks. "This is fucking delicious."

Of course, it is--it's older than you are, mo stóirín.

"It's from our home. We pride ourselves in it."  Kieran says. At that, Ciara pushes her way through the large doors from the kitchen, carrying a platter of flatbread, meats, cheeses, fruits, and jams. She places the tray on the table and turns to the girls, smiling brightly before she pulls Lia and Chloe in for a hug.

"I'm so happy Aden didn't scare you away. I hope he is behaving tonight."

"He is," Lia says, smiling at Ciara.

For now.

"Let's sit and eat, I'm starving," Ciara says, taking a seat in the leather chair. Lia and Chloe sit on the couch and Kieran pulls up a stool, taking a seat there. I sit down in the second leather chair, resting back and placing my drink against my thigh.

There's no way this is going to work.

"So, Lia, tell me about your family?" Kieran asks, feigning curiosity when in reality he wants to pinpoint exactly how this bandia came to be.

Real subtle. I think, biting back a laugh at his prying curiosity. Ciara is more well versed with human interaction, Kieran is a close second but struggles from time to time, now being a perfect example. But me? I've never been bothered to learn mortal social cues. Everything about them is bizarre and why should it matter for me to learn their pleasantries when a single look at me makes them feel they should kneel at my feet and give me everything I desire?

"Oh, um..." She looks around awkwardly, her tongue darting to wet her lips. "I mean, there's not much to tell. I come from a small family, and I'm an only child. I was adopted by my parents after I was born—"

"But they didn't just adopt her," Chloe interjects, looking over to Lia. "they found her, and then adopted her after no one could locate her real parents. She's a local legend." Lia glares at her friend, silently threatening her for telling her origin story.

"They found you? What does that mean?" I finally speak up, narrowing my eyes at the bandia who looks as if she wants to sink into the couch.

"Um, that cabin my parents own? They found me by the water there one summer in 1997. No one knew where the hell I came from, but I was lucky to have been found, that's for sure."

"Who would leave a baby alone, by the water no less?" Ciara looks at her in horror, but she knows exactly who would do such a thing. Someone who made a terrible mistake. But why there, of all places?

"I couldn't tell you." She says, shrugging as if it's no big deal. "But my parents are great. They always say I'm a gift from God since they could never conceive." I snort, and I'm met with an angry stare from Ciara, her eyes plotting my death.

"What's so funny?" Lia asks, leaning forward, the movement pressing her breasts together and causing me to shift in my seat.

"Nothing," I say, meeting her gaze with a shared intensity. "I did not laugh."

"Then what was that sound you just made? Sounded awfully close to a laugh, to me."

"Lia," Chloe warns, but Lia raises her hand to shush her friend, her eyes brightening slightly, a swarm of power swirling inside.

There it is, little one.

Let it consume you.

"I'm sorry if it sounded like a laugh to you, but it was not my intention to laugh at your story."

"Hm," She looks at me as if she doesn't believe me, and I don't blame her one bit.

The tension rises in the room, making every single person uncomfortable—but I act as a stone, not backing down from her stare.

You don't scare me, bandia. It should be you who fears me.

I feel the warmth in my chest grow slightly and press it forward, inching my invisible Dhaéra that slithers across the ground like serpents. I am the only one who sees them in the realm of mortals since they're a part of me, but in Sihaile they surround me in a black mist, following me like my own shadow and listening to my every whim. I watch them inch closer and closer to her feet, knicking at the tips of her toes in her sandals and begging to get a feel for her. I push forward, watching the black ghostly fingers snake up her skin and she stills at their touch, sensing their presence--my presence. I use their warmth to melt the frigid ice she uses as a layer of protection. I focus on the strength of my power, squeezing my fist as I up the heat, making her cheeks flush. They circle her completely like a black cloud and I smile when I see a small bead of sweat drip down the curve of her chest, and I watch as it dips between her breasts. I swallow, the heat palpable as I raise the temperature in her body, sending my heat throughout her center, somewhere she can't ignore.

She sits back, pressing her soft thighs together and dropping her eyes from me, a ragged breath falling from her lips as she accepts defeat.

Good girl.

I pull my Dhaéra back instantaneously, the smoke sinking back into my chest and residing within the black ink that tendrils along my skin.

"Can I use the restroom?" Lia suddenly is on her feet, her words coming out breathless. I stand as well and she looks up at me with fear in her eyes. Part of me wishes that she didn't feel the way she did toward me, but it quickly disappears.

Gods don't pay mind to how they are perceived, nor do they need to justify their actions.

"I'll show you the way," I say before I press my hand against the soft skin of her back, the cold of her skin feeling like a threat against my warmth. She shutters but nods, falling into step with me quickly as I push her along with gentle force. I guide her from the room and away from the prodding stares, leading her down the hallway.

She stops suddenly and turns toward me, my chest almost knocking her onto her ass. I grab her shoulders and steady her, but she doesn't thank me. She lifts her hand, pressing it against my breastbone before pushing me back slightly. I step back and drop my hands, the warmth returning to my fingers as I allow her to believe she has the power to move me unwillingly.

"What the hell was that?" She asks in a hiss, her icy eyes cutting right through me.

"What do you mean?" There's not a chance she believes that I'm the one controlling the heat inside her core, so she has to be referring to something I'm not catching onto.

"You know what I mean." She folds her arm across her chest and narrows her eyes at me. No, little Diabhal, I don't. "You don't like me, I get it. But why do you have to be so rude to me."

"I am not intending to be rude—"

"Yes, you are!" She nearly yells the words and I lift my hand, covering her mouth softly, my fingers nearly covering the entirety of her cheek. Her eyes widen and she backs away, her gaze blazing as she rips my hand from her mouth. "You've been nothing but rude to me since last night," She says, her voice low again.

"I think you're reading me the wrong way, little Diabhal." The words slip through my mouth before I can bite them back and she steps back slightly, looking at me with confusion. Oh Gods, I fucked up.

"Little what? What the fuck? Did you just call me a devil?"

I don't answer her question—I ignore it completely. "Let me just show you where the bathroom is, Lia. They will wonder what we are up to." She glares up at me, the cold that surrounds her snuffing my heat.

Yeah, she's pissed, and rightfully so.

"Yeah, wouldn't want to give them the wrong idea," She snaps. I tighten my jaw and push forward, and she has no choice but to follow behind me, stomping her feet in an angry—but adorable—manner. I allow myself a smile knowing she can't see, loving the fire that burns within her cold exterior. Seems I left a small trace of myself behind, and because of my Dhaéra that invaded the very cells that make up her composition, her emotions are tenfold, especially her anger.

I stop in front of the door and motion towards it, looking down at her doe-like features. She doesn't spare me a glance as she opens the door and shuts it roughly. I hear the lock fasten and chuckle darkly.

Smart girl.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.3K 1.1K 82
Choosing to say out of the Alliance, the Cinders are isolated in their own conflicts, and when Helia Cinder reaches to the void for answers, she inad...
4K 345 24
***SPOILERS AHEAD FOR WICKED ENCOUNTERS, SEASON 1 OF THE WICKED SERIES*** After the betrayal that shattered Cordelia's world, she finds herself in th...
1.4K 2 17
18+ Cordelia was once a human in the 1800s, living off the street and selling her body to survive while taking care of the needs that plagued her. Un...
1.7K 123 25
*Book 4 in the Fated Four series* *Inspired by the Morai (the Three Fates) of Greek Mythology* ~*~ "Weave your dreams with emotions and follow them t...