Distinctly Different

De Miss_Ever_After

In the Kingdom of Amstia werewolves plague the towns and villages. Of all the six kinds of werewolves the whi... Mai multe

Chapter 1 ~ Wolves
Chapter 2 ~ Tragedy
Chapter 3 ~ King's Announcement
Chapter 4 ~ The Letter
Chapter 6 ~ Problems
Chapter 7 ~ The Hunt
Chapter 8 ~ The Inquiry
Chapter 9 ~ Lies
Chapter 10 ~ Surprise
Chapter 11 ~ Introductions
Chapter 12 ~ Detour
Chapter 13 ~ The Meeting
Chapter 14 ~ Tournament
Chapter 15 ~ Help
Chapter 16 ~ Capture
Chapter 17 ~ Escape
Chapter 18 ~ Warning
Chapter 19 ~ The Unexpected
Chapter 20 ~ Masquerade
Chapter 21 ~ Side Effects
Chapter 22 ~ Realization
Chapter 23 ~ New Perspective
Chapter 24 ~ Threats
Chapter 25 ~ False Security
Chapter 26 ~ Exposed
Chapter 27 ~ Torn
Chapter 28 ~ Preparations
Chapter 29 ~ Defiant
Chapter 30 ~ Assistance
Chapter 31 ~ Luck
Chapter 32 ~ Execution
Chapter 33 ~ Waiting
Epilogue
Distinctly Different Update ~ Sequel

Chapter 5 ~ The Hunters

2K 51 4
De Miss_Ever_After

Chapter 5

It seemed that after the King had made the announcement that the castle immediately began preparing for the hunters’ arrival. Many servants ran about with different chores and tasks to set up for whenever the hunters would arrive. The King wanted to keep up appearances and make sure that the hunters got a very warm welcome. Arabella imagined the kitchens were absolute chaos as they attempting to put together a welcoming feast.

Almost all of the servants hated when important guests came to the castle of Amstia but the royal family always enjoyed themselves. Even now Eleanor couldn’t contain her excitement for the hunters’ arrival. She couldn’t sit still and kept leaving her room for a walk only to go back after only a short time.

“Will they ever come?” Eleanor exclaimed as she threw herself on the bed. Arabella hid a frown; she had just made the bed. She turned her attention back to cleaning Eleanor’s room. She swept the table in the middle of them room and then started putting all of Eleanor’s belongings back in their places.

“Give them a bit more time,” Arabella said laughing at Eleanor’s display of impatience. “They probably haven’t even received the message from the King yet. Then they have to make their way to the castle. They can just be here like that,” Arabella said snapping her fingers to demonstrate her point.

“Amstia just won’t be safe until all the white wolves are killed. The other wolves might be dangerous but not to the degree that white wolves are,” Eleanor replied thinking allowed. Arabella nodded her head to avoid answering.

“Are you hungry, my lady? I can go fetch some food from the kitchens,” Arabella offered suddenly wanting to be out of this room. Eleanor shook her head and Arabella nodded disappointed.

She started to resume cleaning when a horn sounded announcing the approach of a group. Arabella and Eleanor rushed to the window and pushed it opened. They waited with bated breath until the newcomers could be seen. A group of six came into view. They all rode horses and their cloaks hiding their features as they rushed to get where they were going.

“They’re here,” Eleanor stated. She had a huge smile on her face as she turned away from the window. Arabella quickly shut the window but not before she saw the crowd forming, they probably were hoping to see these hunters. “Let’s go, I’m sure the King is going to want me there when he official welcomes the hunters.”

Eleanor quickly walked through the halls. It was almost as if she picked up speed gradually. Arabella jogged to keep up and as a result they both got to the throne room before the hunters did. Eleanor took her place near the King and Queen and Arabella stepped into the crowd of servants.

Everyone was looking at the shut throne room doors. They couldn’t wait for the hunters to enter. With a groan the doors parted and were pushed open. Three adults entered the room. Two were male and in between them walked a blonde female. She bore a resemblance to the man on her left. They both had the same shade blonde hair and grey eyes. They were probably related, Arabella thought to herself. The other adult had a light brown hair and dark brown eyes. They all wore the same sort of outfit; they wore some brown cotton pants and a white linen shirt and some leather boots, in other words, clothes for traveling.

Behind them were three more hunters. These hunters were much younger than the first three. In front was a blonde female that looked like her mother, she also appeared to be the eldest of the latter three. Behind her was a male that looked to be in his early twenties. He had even lighter brown hair than his father but he had the same brown eyes. Finally the last and youngest hunter seemed to be in his late teens. He had somehow gotten a deep, dark brown hair colour that appeared black. His eyes were a peculiar medium, dark grey with flecks of silver. The young hunters were dressed similarly to the first three. They all stopped before the King and Queen and bowed.

“I’m glad you have arrived,” the King said. “The sooner you can rid of the white wolves the better.” The hunters raised their heads and nodded. “I will pay whatever fee you have, and you may stay in the castle if you choose. The servants are at your disposal as are my guards and knights. Let me know if you need anything else.”

“My King, it is an honour to be able to lend you our services and we would be foolish to decline your hospitality,” the male adult with the dark brown hair replied smoothly. I’m Joseph and this is my lovely wife, Alice,” he said gesturing to the blonde woman beside him. “The man beside her is her brother, Walter.” The man named Walter bowed again. “And these are my children,” he said turning his head to the three hunters behind him. “My eldest daughter, Rose, my son, Gavin and my youngest, Rowan,” Joseph introduced. “All of them are excellent hunters and I’m confident we can find these white wolves and kill them.”

“Great, I’m glad to hear it,” the King said. “When will you start?”

“Soon, but we must settle in first, we are weary from our journey,” Joseph replied.

“Of course, I’ll have some servants show you to your rooms,” the King said. “After you have settled in I would like you and your family to join mine for a feast. The kitchens had been cooking for your arrival.”

“We would be honoured to,” Joseph answered. The King nodded his head and then the crowd gathered in the throne room was dismissed all except for the servants. The King’s servant began selecting servants to take the hunters to their rooms. He seemed to be picking the servants for the royal family,” Arabella noticed and her thoughts were confirmed when she was picked to take Rowan to his chambers.

“They are to be taken to the hallway were important guests stay, and should they need anything you are assigned to take care of it,” the King’s servant told the selected servants. Great, Arabella thought, another person she needed to be a servant to, as if Eleanor wasn’t enough. Then he proceeded to tell each servant which room they were taking their hunter to. Finally he came to Arabella. “You will take the youngest hunter to the room with the many stained glass windows.” Arabella nodded, she knew the room he was speaking of.

She walked away from the King’s servant and towards Rowan who was leaning against a pillar outside the throne room with a brown bag at his feet. He had been warily watching everyone. She paused in front of him and waited until he looked at her.

“Yes?” he asked.

“I’m to take you to your room,” Arabella explained before putting a smile on her face. Hopefully he wouldn’t be able to tell that she didn’t wholeheartedly mean it. “Or I could show you around first,” she offered after he didn’t say anything.

“No I think I’d better go to my room and change first,” he said finally. “Although, perhaps you can show me around later, after I’ve settled in.”

“Of course,” Arabella replied. “I’ve been assigned to you so if you need anything just tell me.” He nodded and then stopped leaning on the pillar. “Shall we go to your room?” He nodded a second time and then Arabella started walking leaving him to follow. She navigated her way though the crowds and hallways heading towards Rowan’s room.

“How do you not get lost?” Rowan asked. She paused and waited for him to catch up and then shrugged. “After a while you get used to it and know where you’re going.”

“But there are so many hallways; I’ll never be able to find my way back to my rooms alone.” Arabella bit back a laugh at how lost he sounded and resumed walking.

“Well there are always people around so just ask them for directions to wherever you want to go.”

“Even to my room?” Rowan asked sounding sceptical.

“Yes, I’m sure by now a bunch of servants know where your room is,” Arabella replied. This time she laughed at his expression. “It’s not that uncommon. Important stuff doesn’t happen here very much so when it does the servants are very interested. The castle’s servants gossip a lot.”

“Oh I see,” Rowan replied.

“Here we are,” Arabella announced stopping before a door. She pushed it open and stepped aside so Rowan could go in first. Rowan entered the room and then just stopped as he looked around the room.

The room was a light gold and the light flowing through the stained glass windows made the floor coloured. The bed was a smaller one, intended for one person and the wooden closet sat near the bed. There was a wooden table with a candle resting on it near the largest window and that was near the other room that contained the tub for washing.

“Yeah these rooms can be a bit luxurious,” Arabella said. “Shall I get someone to bring water so you can wash?”

“That’d be great,” Rowan said as he sat down in his bed.

“Alright, I’ll get someone to bring you some water and prepare the bath and I’ll be back later. My name’s Arabella, just ask for me if you need anything.” Rowan nodded and Arabella took that as her cue to exit the room. She shut the door behind him and breathed a sigh of relief. She spotted a servant in the hall and waved to him to catch his attention.

“Can I help you?” he asked.

“Yes could you please get some water so the youngest hunter can wash?” Arabella asked. The servant sighed and nodded. “Thank you,” she called after the servant as he rushed to go get water.

“Arabella, I haven’t seen you all day,” Alexander said catching sight of her. “What have you been doing?” Arabella shrugged.

“Well I’ve been with Eleanor most of the day and then I went to the throne room for the hunters’ welcome,” Arabella explained. “And now I’m supposed to see to the youngest hunter and help him if he needs anything,” she sighed.

“Sounds like a busy day. Do you want to go to the market and get something to eat? I was just heading there.” Arabella considered the offer and after a moment she nodded.

“Alright let’s go. We can’t spend too much time; I have to check up on Rowan in a little while,” Arabella said already walking a bit faster so she could get to the market in time.

The market was crowded, it normally was around noon. Arabella pulled a few copper coins out of her pocket and went to the nearest stall. She paid the vendor and then picked up a peach and an apple.

“That’s all you’re getting?” Alexander asked.

“Yeah, I’m not really hungry,” Arabella replied taking a bite of her apple.

“I see,” Alexander said as he and Arabella started slowly walking back to the castle.

“So how’s your friend? Is he better?”

“No, he’s still unconscious but the physician said there’s no infection, yet.”

“That’s a good thing. Infection can be pretty bad. And as for him being unconscious I’m sure it’s nothing to worry about,” Arabella said.

“Yeah, I guess,” Alexander said.

“I have to go and check up on Rowan,” Arabella stated glancing at the castle. “I’ll see you later,” she said before rushing off. By the time she had gotten to Rowan’s room she had finished her fruit. She wiped her sticky fingers on her skirt and then knocked on the door. She waited a bit and the door swung open revealing Rowan. “I’m just checking to see if you need anything.”

“Come in,” Rowan said holding the door open for her. He had changed into some new clothes that didn’t look as worn as the others. The dark grey shirt he was wearing made his grey eyes look even more interesting.

“Do you need something?” Arabella asked as she stepped in the room.

“I’d just like to know about the recent white wolf attack.”

“Oh, the attack on the guard,” Arabella replied.

“Yes, did you know the guard?” Rowan asked before sitting on his bed.

“No I didn’t. I generally don’t talk to guards. The only times I talk to them are when I need their help for some task.”

“What do you normally do?” Rowan asked curiously. He brushed his hair out of his eyes and gestured for her to take a seat.

“Well normally I’m Lady Eleanor’s maid. I do anything she needs done,” Arabella answered. She chose the closest chair to Rowan which was near the table and sat down.

“What has Lady Eleanor said of the attack?”

“She was pretty shaken up. Her horse had suddenly sped up and she got away from the rest of her group. Then she saw an incredibly large white wolf running toward her and her horse reared up causing her to fall. The wolf almost got her except a guard got between her and the wolf so it attacked him not Eleanor. The wounds he sustained are pretty bad,” Arabella told him. “He still may die even though the physician has done all he can.”

“Did you see the guard after he was injured?”

“Yes, I went to the physician’s tower because I thought Eleanor might be there. Then the physician got me to help tend to the guard. I’ve helped the physician many times.”

“Do you know where this attack occurred?” Rowan inquired. Arabella shook her head.

“I didn’t ask, but I’m sure a guard that was there will be able to tell you,” Arabella said. Rowan opened his mouth to say something more but just then the door swung open and his older brother walked in.

“Rowan- oh I didn’t realize you had company,” Gavin said.

“Its fine, she’s just the servant assigned to me.”

“Oh okay, well anyways I was told to tell you that the welcoming feast is in an hour. I’ll see you then,” Gavin said before turning around abruptly and leaving.

“Sorry about him, he’s just not good with people,” Rowan laughed. After a bit he realized he’d let his guard down and his expression returned to a neutral one. “So since it seems we have time until the feast how about you give me that tour you promised.”

“Uh sure, we’ll probably only have time for a tour of the castle. I can show you around the lower town some other time.”

“Alright, so where to first?” Rowan asked.

“Well you know the important guest rooms because that’s where we are now. You’ve seen the throne room,” Arabella said as she and Rowan left his room. She spotted a room and walked towards it. “This is the armoury.”

The armoury had many weapons on the wall. There were some chain mail, shields and helmets resting on the ground. And swords of different styles filled the rest of the large room.

“Wow, that’s a lot of weapons,” Rowan said impressed.

“We’re always prepared for anything,” Arabella explained rolling her eyes. And so the tour began. Arabella showed Rowan the busy kitchens, the dungeons and the main always used corridors and hallways so he would know his way about the castle and many other rooms.

“Wow, the castle seems even larger when you see everything in it,” Rowan said.

“Yeah, I was pretty amazed the first time I saw inside it too,” Arabella replied. “Well that’s all the time we have, you have a welcoming feast to get to.”

“Ah yes, the welcoming feast,” Rowan said. He didn’t look at all happy to be going. “And um, which way is the throne room again?”

“Just follow me. I have to be there anyway to serve Lady Eleanor,” Arabella said shaking her head.

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

Two Worlds De

Vârcolaci

40.1K 1.4K 35
In a world where the supernatural live separate from the humans, some live with us but they mostly live in their own worlds. The Royals had a devasta...
129K 2.1K 29
(**Violence in some parts**) Abused physically and mentally. Diana takes it all for her sister Emma, the only blood related person she has left. She...
Wanted: VAMPIRE QUEEN De CocoNellz

Ficțiune adolescenți

178 1 17
I DO NOT OWN THE PICTURE, THE MEDIA OR THE CAUSE OF YOU NOT READING THE MATURE CONTENT WARNING. MATURE CONTENT IN THIS STORY. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. ...
6.3M 198K 44
|| In his eyes, she glowed. Her pale skin was like a canvas, just waiting for him to paint it with his dark colors. She was his moon and his hope. ||...