latibule ➳ bucky barnes

By queenevangelina

latibule (n) a hiding place; of safety and comfort ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ He was alone in this world. He couldn't trus... More

01. prelude
02. saviour
03. home
04. love
05. bruises
06. beauty
08. remember
09. acceptance
10. bonding
11. chase
12. sisters
13. secrets
14. trust
15. forgiveness
16. dance
17. reasons
18. perfect
19. captured
20. cooperation
21. numbness
22. hope
23. darkness
24. trapped
25. echoes
26. visions
27. freedom
28. latibule
acknowledgements
new username + profile

07. try

109K 3.3K 2.3K
By queenevangelina

For the tower to be noiseless was a rare occurrence. There would always be arguments, laughter, debates and Clint and Tony pranking everyone else. However, none of those were happening and that's because everyone was secluded inside the movie theatre, watching a Star Wars marathon.

Anastasia sat between Bucky and Sam, holding a bowl of popcorn that was shared between the three of them.

Anastasia would never know how Tony managed to get everyone together for a Star Wars marathon but she knew blackmail was involved. She snuck a glance at Bucky and smiled when she saw that his eyes were glued to the screen.

She wished it was as peaceful as it was now every day. Everyone was dealing with their own problems, nobody spends time together anymore. It was truly heartbreaking. She wanted to go back to simpler times when the world didn't need saving, when the Avengers weren't heroes, just ordinary people who wanted to make a difference.

Perhaps that's what heroes were. Perhaps heroes were regular individuals who strove to make the world a better place. The world may see the Avengers as extraordinary people and many times Anastasia did so too, but she also saw that behind all that power and strength, the Avengers were human. They have emotions, fears, dreams, desires and ambitions. In the end, they're the same as everybody else.

If anything, their desire for change was what made them the heroes they are today.

"Ana, you seem off, you okay?" Sam whispered in a concerned voice.

"I'm fine." She murmured, giving him a tiny smile. In truth she was anything but fine. When she allowed her mind to wander off on its own she tended to think of more negative thoughts making her feel depressed.

She felt a vibration in her pocket and sighed. "Hey... I have a call... Look after Bucky for me please?" She asked Sam in a soft voice.

"No problem, go ahead." He replied, giving her a thumbs up. She hastily walked out of the room, keeping her head low so she wouldn't be in anyone's way.

"Doctor Volkov, what's your business?" She answered robotically, having memorised the line and having said it a thousand times.

"Volkov, we need you now." Nick's voice came through the speakers. The panic and urgency in his voice made her concerned.

"Location?" She inquired, racing to the elevator with her bag slung over her shoulder.

"S.H.I.E.L.D.'s new base in New York, the beds in our infirmary are filled. We're short on doctors and everyone we've got is useless." Nick informed furiously.

"Give me 20 minutes sir." She stated, sliding into the driver's seat of her car. She started the engine and stepped on the pedal.

In exactly 18 minutes, she stopped in front of an abandoned warehouse. It was old and run-down and it certainly wasn't eye-catching which made it the ideal place to locate the new S.H.I.E.L.D. base.

Slamming the doors open, she approached a seemingly ordinary wall and entered a code in a hidden keyboard. The 'wall' moved to reveal a hidden elevator.

"Thank goodness you're here." Maria sighed.

"What's the situation?" Anastasia questioned, walking with Maria towards the infirmary. When she was working she tended to be more confident in herself since it was her field of expertise.

"Several dozen H.Y.D.R.A. agents raided one of our safe houses. Our agents got rid of any Intel in that base but many agents died doing so, the others are in the infirmary right now." Maria explained without slowly down her pace. "We don't have enough doctors or nurses and we don't have time to call everyone in so we had to call in the best."

"Now's not the time to compliment me." Said Anastasia, entering the infirmary. The sight made her heart drop to her stomach.

The infirmary was gigantic, with countless rows of hospital beds all lined up symmetrically. Cabinets containing various types of antibiotics, medicines and tools littered about in reach of those who needed it so no one would have to travel to the opposite side of the room to get it. Under the bright light she could clearly see the injured agents on each bed.

Males and females, the experienced and inexperienced, they were all lying there hopelessly, some thrashing about and their faces contorted with pain and suffering. The white bandages that were sloppily wrapped around their wounds were stained deep red. Their bodies were decorated with bruises and cuts, and Anastasia knew there were many with broken or dislocated limbs and bones.

Then the stench hit her like a brick.

She was used to the smell of the hospital. The scent of chemicals, cleaning products, medicines and drugs never fazed her but this was something else. The concentrated smell of blood was what dominated the space around them, overpowering any other scent. It was nauseating and made her feel dizzy, even when she was used to the smell of blood.

"Why... Why are there so many?" She breathed shakily.

"It was one of our primary safe houses." Nick answered, shoving a clipboard in her hands. She stumbled but managed to hold it close to her chest.

"We were in the midst of upgrading it to use it as one of our main bases. We didn't only have agents there, we also had ordinary workers." Nick said gravely.

Anastasia approached the closest patient to her who was gasping quietly and shuddering, coughing up blood every few second. It was a young female with fiery red hair that reminded her painfully of Natasha.

She scanned the clipboard attached to a string connected to the patient's bed post, telling her what the agent's injuries were. Her face turned to one of confusion.

It was completely blank. Anger bubbled inside her chest, and she wasn't easily angered. She hoped the doctors and nurses filled in the other clipboards as it would tell everyone the patient's condition. Leaving it blank was careless and unacceptable.

She did a quick yet accurate analysis of the patient, pressing in various areas and studying the reactions of the patient. She examined the visible wounds afterwards. At least those would be easier to notice and hopefully treat.

"This agent needs immediate medical attention!" Anastasia raised her voice, shocking Maria and Nick. Never in their life had they heard Anastasia sound so demanding and authoritative before.

"D-Doctor Volkov?" Two nurses stammered nervously.

"Can you two operate?" Anastasia questioned, taking out sedatives and the operating tools. The nurses and patient eyed the tools in alarm.

"Y-Yes." One of them squeaked.

"This agent has internal bleeding, a very minimal cut in her right lung. Please fix it and change her bandages." Anastasia ordered, hastily writing on the clipboard. "And please fill in these clipboards, thank you."

She didn't wait for an answer and instead moved on to the next patient. She had the entire infirmary to get through, she couldn't afford to waste time.

It was going to be a long day.

➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳

"Please don't tell me Fury is using her again." Loki grumbled.

"Probably is." Sam sighed, calling Anastasia for the twentieth time. She didn't pick up which was unusual for her since she doesn't ignore her calls and she never went anywhere without her phone.

"My apologies for interrupting, but it seems Doctor Volkov is occupied with treating the wounded in the New York S.H.I.E.L.D. base." J.A.R.V.I.S. informed in his usual accented voice.

"The wounded? How bad is it for Fury to call Ana?" Steve asked in a concerned tone.

"H.Y.D.R.A. had attacked one of the primary safe houses." J.A.R.V.I.S. explained. Hearing the name of the organisation that had enslaved him for decades, Bucky tensed considerably. Steve noticed the change in his friend immediately.

"20 agents and 13 scientists have been reported dead along with 32 ordinary workers, 73 are currently being treated." The A.I. continued.

"Why are there so many people in a safe house?!" Sam exclaimed.

"Director Fury planned to make that safe house one of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s main bases. There had been intensive construction occurring over the last month." J.A.R.V.I.S. responded.

"How bad is it there?" Tony questioned.

"10 have already died, but conditions have improved since Doctor Volkov arrived."

"Seems like they really need her." Sam muttered.

"Lady Anastasia is very capable. Under her watchful eye none of our brothers and sisters will fall." Thor said positively, making Loki roll his eyes.

"Technically they already fell." Bucky muttered with his arms crossed. Both Clint and Loki stifled a laugh.

"Do not speak in such a way soldier of Winter." Thor snapped.

Bucky visibly cringed hearing the name of what H.Y.D.R.A. called him - a variation of it but still the same name nonetheless. Sam and Steve instantly came to his rescue.

"Don't use that name ever again." Sam warned angrily.

  "His name is James Buchanan Barnes." Stated Steve. Bucky stood up and placed his hands on the shoulders of the two men that were defending him. For the first time he was grateful for Sam and Steve. Anastasia always told him they cared about him but he never believed her until he saw it for himself.

They didn't pity him, they genuinely cared for his feelings and well-being. Even after everything he had done throughout the last few decades, they forgave him and accepted him. He realised he needed to do the same. He needed to accept them too. They were trying and fighting for him, he should do the same for them as well.

"It's... It's fine." Bucky reassured, stepping in front.

"I may not like the name but it's who I am now, the Winter Soldier is part of me." He rubbed his metal arm uncomfortably. "This is a reminder of that fact."

He felt everyone's pitying eyes burning into his head, but Sam and Steve simply smiled despite their worries.

➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳

Anastasia stumbled into her apartment, rubbing her eyes wearily. She couldn't prevent a yawn from escaping her mouth, she was awfully exhausted. She had been working without a break the entire day and thankfully no one had died under her care.

It was three in the morning but as always, the city was as alive as ever. The artificial golden lights from outside dimly lit the room up, outlining where the furniture were and creating long shadows.

She crashed onto the couch, not even bothering to change or take off her shoes and bag. She figured she would rest for a while before going into her own bed to get a well-deserved sleep.

When she closed her eyes, she didn't plan to actually fall asleep, but as exhaustion overtook her body she couldn't help but feel herself slowly losing consciousness.

Despite fighting to stay awake, she soon entered the world of an altered reality.

➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳

Bucky was always a light sleeper. In the military soldiers always had to be alert at all times and he was no exception.

He jolted awake and into a sitting position when he heard a noise from the other side of the door. It was slight and minimal but it was definitely there.

Sweat dripped down his forehead as he stood up, stalking towards the door cautiously. His feet barely made a sound against the carpet.

He opened the door slowly and peeked out in case there was an attacker of some sort, as unlikely as that sounded. His brows furrowed once he realised there was no intruder or disturbance outside whatsoever. He was beginning to think he was paranoid and only hearing things but then he caught sight of the unusual shape on the couch.

He straightened up, opening the door fully and quietly walking towards the shape. He felt in his heart that whatever, or whoever, the shape was it wouldn't hurt him. It was a strange feeling but he guessed it was just instinct. He may be out of practice physically but his instincts stayed with him.

A body rested on the couch, curled up like a child. Wavy brown locks spread like a fan around her head, greatly contrasting her pale skin. Her rosy lips were parted slightly and her chest rose and fell steadily.

It was Anastasia, asleep and looking completely drained. She still wore the outfit she left in; a casual, navy-blue dress with black tights. She didn't even both to take off her shoes and her bag telling Bucky how beat she must be.

He lowered his hand, hesitating a few seconds before bringing it to brush a strand of hair from her face.

Pain enveloped his heart. She worked so hard, slaving every free hour she had with him or for S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Avengers yet she never once uttered a complaint.

He picked her up, his arm easily sliding under her legs and carried her into her bedroom. She shifted and mumbled a few incoherent words but remained unconscious. Knowing how alert Anastasia always seemed to be, Bucky realised she must be incredibly tired to not wake up.

He had only been in her room a few times, but every time he entered he could never get used to it.

It was gigantic, but it was filled with rows and rows of bookshelves filled to the brim. A large bed was located by the stainless windows and a desk and chair only occupied a small portion of the wall. A couch, armchair and coffee table was placed in the middle of the room, facing a flat-screen TV. The smell was intoxicating. It smelled like Anastasia, only much more concentrated.

Bucky placed Anastasia down gently on her bed, taking her shoes and bag off before covering her body with her duvet. She let out what sounded like a contented sigh and if possible, her muscles relaxed more.

"Sleep well..." Bucky smiled, glancing at her peaceful face, one that used to be filled with concern but now was filled with a comforting calm.

She spared no effort trying to help him, he had to do the same.

He had to try, for her and for him, and for everyone that was trying to get through to him as well.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

70.7K 2.2K 37
The Universe has it's own way of ensuring that soulmates end up together, written words appear on your skin every morning of the first, or last, sent...
4K 229 17
𝐁𝐀𝐓𝐓𝐋𝐄 𝐎𝐅 𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐌𝐒 *SLOW UPDATES* ❝In which a little girl is cursed by the people she once trusted, and is forced to save the world. All...
338 12 7
Y/N Y/LN has been part of the Avengers since the start, she's battled against Loki, Ultron and Hydra. Now the team is her family and everybody loves...
467K 11.1K 137
An AU where Civil War never happens, and people are friendly with each other. This is just Winterwidow fluff and smuff. Lot's of angst, but mostly fl...