The Lady Knight

By SLGrey2904

As the first Lady Knight of Monrique, Juliette Van Helsing regularly deals with criminals who threaten the pe... More

Chapter I: Missions and Murders
Chapter II: Arrivals and Adversaries
Chapter III: Suspicions and Surprises
Chapter IV: Break-ins and Balls
Chapter V: Follies and Faults
Chapter VI: Swords and Scares
Chapter VII: Potentials and Puzzles
Chapter VIII: Pasts and Plans
Chapter IX: Waits and Worries
Chapter X: Thoughts and Truces
Chapter XI: Meetings and Menaces
Chapter XII: Mails and Misses
Chapter XIII: Visits And Vents
Chapter XIV - Beliefs and Bonfires
Chapter XV: Impossibilities and Insanities
Chapter XVI: Excitements and Exaggerations
Chapter XVII - Distresses And Desolations
Chapter XVIII: Nights and Nirvanas
Chapter XIX: Pranks and Paybacks
Chapter XX: Codes and Comprehensions
Chapter XXI: Confusions and Congratulations
Chapter XXII: Pursuits and Prowls
Chapter XXIII: Rescues and Revelations
Chapter XXIV: Friendships and Fiancées
Chapter XXV: Fights and Falsities
Chapter XXVI: Feelings and Frustrations
Chapter XXVII: Impressions And Intoxications
Chapter XXVIII: Chambers and Cares
Chapter XXIX: Cousins and Costs
Chapter XXX: Dances and Dames
Chapter XXXI: Waltzes and Wishes
Chapter XXXII: Hands and Hesitations
Chapter XXXIII: Ices and Images
Chapter XXXIV: Fears and Forebodings
Chapter XXXV: Truths and Tears
Chapter XXXVI: Pianofortes and Presents
Chapter XXXVII: Songs and Sketches
Chapter XXXVIII: Babies and Baby-showers
Chapter XXXIX: Birthdays and Bashes
Chapter XL: Suns and Sieges
Chapter XLI: Instabilities and Injuries
Chapter XLII: Conflicts and Confrontations
Chapter XLIII: Doubts and Decisions
Chapter XLIV: Homes and Hollows
Chapter XLV: Confessions and Conclusions
Epilogue: Another Beginning
Bonus Chapter: To My Love

Prologue: A Beginning

246K 4.7K 674
By SLGrey2904

19 June, Year 26 of King Frederick V of Monrique's reign

Bordeux Castle, Bordeux

Monrique

Silence was a strange entity.

It was present all around her, like an ever-faithful companion, and yet, she had never felt more alone. It flooded her with a steadily increasing anticipation for what was to come in a mere few moments, and yet, it set her nerves at ease at the same time.

The Captain bit her lip subconsciously, her hands clenching by her sides.

She felt a gentle hand on her shoulder. "Please cease worrying, Captain Van Helsing," an aged, wise voice pulled her out of her thoughts, "at least for today."

Realising that she had been staring at the double doors before her for too long, she shook her head clear. She glanced up at her mentor, Commander General Laxier of the Monriquan Armed Forces, and stood upright at attention.

"Sir."

He nodded at her with a small smile. "Stand easy," he allowed kindly, "now, would you like to enlighten me on what is troubling you so on such an important day, Captain?"

She stared straight ahead, her features void of all emotions. "I have waited for this for a long time, Sir," she answered, "but now that it is indeed within my grasp, I find myself doubting if I am truly worthy of the honour, Sir."

Her words were monotonous, coolly formal, but having known her for many years, Commander General Laxier was able to catch the brief flash of uncertainty that her eyes subconsciously betrayed.

His lips pulled up in another smile, tinged with a hint of sadness. The Captain had fought many battles against narrow-minded men and women alike to reach where she was today, and was still fighting to retain her position.

He was well aware of it. He had fought many of them right alongside her.

However, these battles were not without their scars, and the Captain's fleeting flashes of self-doubt and uncertainty proved to him time and time again, that she had not emerged victorious from them unscathed.

He now levelled her with a serene, steady gaze. "Today is your day, Captain Van Helsing. You have worked hard for it, and you deserve it," he stated very simply, "pray, do not allow the opinions of others to ruin it for you."

She nodded, her eyes hardening. "Yes, Sir."

At that moment, the calm was shattered by the bellowing of trumpets from within the throne room. His eyes widened in surprise for a brief moment, before he offered the Captain a small smile.

"All the best, Captain," he wished her, "your moment has come."

She barely had time to mumble a word of thanks, before they were both announced.

"Announcing Commander General Laxier and Captain Van Helsing of the Monriquan Armed Forces!" the heralds cried, as the double doors before her flung open with a flourish.

Almost at once, there was pin drop silence in the throne room.

The Captain took a deep, calming breath, and waited for one of the heralds and her Commander General to walk two steps ahead of her, before stepping onto the red carpet herself.

She was greeted with much curiosity and speculation from those around her, as she strode towards the dais. A young woman of small stature, she was dressed in plain black military attire, her shoulders laden with heavy medals of all sizes, shining brightly in the chandelier light.

It was a turning point in Monrique's history. Everyone present was all well aware of the change taking place in their midst, subtle, but significant.

All because of one girl who was barely eighteen years of age.

With her hair tucked under a black beret, her small heart shaped face void of all emotion, and her right hand placed lightly over the hilt of her sword hanging by its belt on her waist, she was a formidable figure to behold.

All eyes were on her, silent, judging, waiting for her to reach the dais.

At the end of the carpet, the herald came to an abrupt halt, and bowed. "Your Majesty, Commander General Laxier of the Monriquan Armed Forces."

King Frederick V of Monrique, dressed splendidly for the occasion, nodded from his throne. "Please come forth, Commander General Sir."

Commander General Laxier stepped forward and executed a salute to the King. "Your Majesty, on behalf of the Order of the Lion, I wish to inform you that our numbers are incomplete. There is one, who by her deeds and her demeanour, has earned the right to a place in our company, a place she rightly deserves."

"Then let her come forth."

The herald cleared his throat. "His Majesty King Frederick V of Monrique commands the presence of his subject, Captain Van Helsing of the Monriquan Armed Forces."

The Captain took two, precise steps forward, and bowed low before the King.

Commander General Laxier continued to speak. "Your Majesty, she who stands before you is Juliette Van Helsing, a woman who serves you and this country as a Captain in the Monriquan Armed Forces. She has come now before Your Majesty, to request from your hands the accolade which her peers agree is rightly deserved."

King Frederick V of Monrique rose from his throne, his eyes gleaming in pride of the young woman, whose growth he had witnessed and supported constantly thus far. "Captain, are you prepared to accept the accolade of Knighthood this day?"

She held her head high. "I am, Your Majesty."

The King smiled softly at the Captain, the kind that very few people managed to receive. "Lord President, the sword, if you please," he ordered, looking to the man on his right.

For an answer, Lord Henri Van Helsing, the Lord President of the Crown Council, held on tighter to the Sword of Knighthood. He frowned in disapproval at his daughter the Captain, his hands trembling with suppressed rage.

She had disobeyed him. For the umpteenth time in her life, she had disobeyed him, despite his repeated orders.

She had been forbidden to join training for the Army. She had been forbidden to accept her promotions from Cadet, to Corporal, to Lieutenant, to Captain over the years. She had been forbidden to undertake Knighthood.

She was a woman. She had no business in warfare.

Yet here she was.

These thoughts ran through his mind for a fleeting moment, all encompassed within the glare he sent her, before he handed the King the Sword of Knighthood with a perfectly emotionless countenance.

It was only a moment, but the King had caught the glare.

A small knot appeared between his brows in worry. It was a mystery to him, even after all these years, how could the Lord President not be proud of a daughter like the Captain.

For the moment, he decided to let it go and speak to him later.

From below the dais, the Captain watched, her heart constricting from pain she was already accustomed to.

"Thank you, Lord President," the King nodded, "Captain Van Helsing, please kneel before us."

She obeyed, taking a deep breath, her gaze fixed to the floor. She heard the loud clash of metal as the old Sword of Knighthood was removed from its sheath and placed on her right shoulder.

"Captain Van Helsing, do you swear fealty to us, King Frederick V of Monrique, our family and all future reigning royal families of Monrique?"

"I do."

The sword was moved to her left shoulder.

"Do you swear to protect and guard this nation with all that you have?"

"I do."

The sword now rested on her head.

"Do you swear to uphold our national sense of honour and strive to achieve excellence in all your endeavours?"

"I do. I solemnly swear so to do, and perform my duties as a Knight of Monrique to the best of my ability."

The words naturally flowed from her lips, as they had from many generations before now, as old as time itself. The King raised her by the shoulders, beaming widely, as he took her hand and led her forward.

"We now present to you Captain Van Helsing, the very first Lady Knight of Monrique!"

Thunderous applause sounded throughout the throne room, as Commander General Laxier, the Army officers present and the herald, broke into small smiles.

The aristocrats, however, looked on with some hesitation.

Although honoured indeed to have witnessed the first woman to be Knighted in Monriquan history, a sizable number of them still held some doubts as to her abilities as a female Knight.

Captain Van Helsing bowed deeply, well aware of the thoughts running through her audience's minds.

She knew she could, and she would, prove her worth to them in good time, just as she had to Commander General Laxier, her King and her fellow Army Officers in the Monriquan Armed Forces.

This was her country, her pride. And she would do right by it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36 0 20
Terrie Cotta first and only golem in the police forces is sent out into Little Hempton to be taken out of the limelight when she fails to arrest an a...
111 4 7
Lynnae receives news which drastically changes the course of her life. She returns home to where the mystery begins. Will she solve the mystery? Or w...
3.2M 99.9K 37
#5 in Vampire - 7/28/2017 #1 in Love-triangle 6/30/19 In a world where humanity was lost because the superior race of vampires took over the inferior...
The Forgotten Duchess By Kyra

Historical Fiction

434K 26.8K 60
After fleeing her burnt village, a woman with a mysterious past takes refuge in the home of a reticent duke. Soon, feelings develop, but secrets tha...