The Liability (2023 - COMPLET...

By ohgoditsyou

li.a.bil.i.ty a person or thing whose presence or behavior is likely to cause embarrassment or put one at a d... More

I - Getting Ready
II - The School Day
IV - Hospital
V - Recovery
VI - The Meeting
VII - His Perspective
VIII - Sleep
IX - The Letter
X - Lunch
XI - The Confession
XII - The Warning
XIII - Happy Birthday
XIV - The Consummation
XV - Alone
XVI - Margot
XVII - Starting Over
XVIII - New Friends
XIX - Sick
XX - Endless Cycle
XXI - New Perspective
XXII - Epilogue
Closing Note:
Book Two:

III - Attacked

5K 156 2
By ohgoditsyou

Juno sat on the floor, the school assignments spread out in front of her. She is struggling to focus on the work, too distracted by the sounds of the wolves playing outside of her cabin.

The calls that one wolf made to another is enough for her to have lost track of what she should be doing. She is struggling to complete her Government worksheet and it isn't because she doesn't understand the material.

Juno rubs her eyes, wishing that those around her wouldn't be so loud. She couldn't blame them, the weather outside is nice for this time of year. It is late October but it is still warm for fall.

Her government work is easy, mostly because her teacher is known throughout the school for not caring. He is an older teacher and waiting for retirement. He had given up on teaching a few years ago, so now it's nothing more than the bare minimum. The worksheets were the easiest things ever, so if she could focus, it would be done in about ten minutes. This is a constant problem for her, but the noise from the wolves decreases a great deal when the snow starts to fly. It apparently isn't as fun to spend all evening in the cold.

Juno continued to mindlessly complete her work, wishing to be asleep instead. Her entire body is exhausted and feels like it is going to collapse in on itself. She knows what she is doing isn't healthy and she needs to work on not being like this. She feels like a zombie and probably looks like one too.

She is making better progress than most days because she hadn't been caught off guard by a wolf. The pack likes to harass her simply because they could and it made life a hell to be in. The days when she is able to avoid them are the best because then she is able to complete her school work before sunset and actually has a decent night's rest.

She struggled to finish her algebra homework without her eyes closing. Going through the problems one by one is a slow task but manageable. Once finished with the math, she starts to work on the short reading for her English course. She quickly goes through the pages in The Grapes of Wrath, not caring for the plot or any of the symbolism, knowing that her teacher would just go through it the next day.

With all of the work complete, Juno is able to put everything away and curl up under her blanket, preparing to retire for the night. Sure the sky is still alight, but Juno couldn't force herself to be awake any longer. Before she could even get comfortable, her eyes had decided to give up for the day.

~

At five the next morning, the cycle repeats itself. Although much more well-rested, Juno is hungry. She had missed out on dinner because of how early she had fallen asleep, but it doesn't really matter anyway. Her body doesn't ache like it normally does in the morning, nor had she been awakened by the feeling of her mate cheating on their bond.

Seeing as though the wolf side had reached full maturity, Juno has met her reported "soulmate." He lives in the Baring community and is nearly five years her senior.

The problem with their union? He's been with his girlfriend for over two years and their bond only showed itself ten months ago. He is also a close friend of Alpha's, which means everything about him has to appear to be perfect. The saddest of them all is the fact that no one wants to have a runt for a mate. Runts are seen as a weakness and a nuisance for the pack. They're more trouble than they're worth, why would anyone put that much effort into protecting them?

Juno's mate didn't want anything to do with her. When the bond first showed itself, he couldn't even force himself to look at her. Juno is unwanted by everyone around her, she's known that for a long time. That is why she refused to let her mate's actions hurt her any more than anyone else's.

She couldn't waste a single moment on him, Juno has to prepare for school. Once again, she has limited options and the cold weather is only adding to the difficulty. Another day, another torn pair of jeans and poorly fitting sweaters. It isn't likely to keep her warm, but it is still the best that she can manage at this moment.

She yawns, wishing to sleep away the day, even though she knows better than that. Juno brushes the hair from her eyes and picks up the heavy bookbag, preparing to make her journey to the bus stop once again. She lives a very tedious life and she does not enjoy a moment of it.

The walk is just like every other day. She makes the short detour to the Alpha's house to see whatever it is Luna has for breakfast. Cinnamon Roll Poptarts and an orange, just like every other day this week. Juno isn't complaining though, Luna is still doing more for her than everyone else she has known.

After giving her thanks, Juno continues on her walk to the bus stop, snacking on the Poptarts as she walks. She didn't care for the cold, slight drizzle, or the mud from last night's rain. She never does anyway.

Some of the wolves in the pack were active at this time of the day. The few include the trackers and warriors in charge of keeping the border secure, as well as the ones who simply want a morning run. It had been during one of these morning walks that Juno had met her mate. It had been last December, on her seventeenth birthday.

Her mate is a tracker, one of the higher-ranking ones. Every morning he is one of the few checking the border. That snowy morning, the two of them had collided. Juno isn't sure how she had nearly missed the large, dark reddish-brown form of his wolf. The two of them had made physical contact and it had been then that Juno knew of their bond. Her mate had other plans, it seems. He didn't even spare her a second glance before walking off.

Ten months later and their relationship stays the same. Not that Juno minds much, seeing as though she doesn't put much faith in soul mates. Her other half would be her wolf, even if it was locked deep inside of her, not a completely different person. She is as complete as she's going to get. A whole person. She doesn't need the tracker in order to be happy.

Juno walked through the woods, following the path she has worn into the undergrowth over the past few years. To outsiders, it would be odd for there to be a path from the side of the road to a small cabin, but Juno didn't care.

Between the crunch of leaves below her feet and the soft howl of the mid-October wind, Juno could hear the chirps of wildlife and wolves communicating with one another. Common sounds, ones reminding her that the world hasn't curled up for winter yet. Pleasant.

She tried to avoid the wolves the best that she could, hearing how far away they were. She had gotten used to tracking wolves by their noisy trots through the undergrowth. They were the biggest predator in the area and weren't looking to hunt at the moment. The wolves don't care who hears them.

Well, not all wolves. Juno hadn't noticed him until he had pounced at her, knocking her to the forest floor. The male had a dark brown coat with lighter brown speckles on his underbelly. She isn't sure who he is, or what his reasoning for the attack is.

The wolf tore at Juno with both his teeth and his claws. He is persistent in his attack, wanting to inflict a lot of damage on her. All Juno couldn't do anything to stop the wolf, being significantly weaker than him. She could feel the way he tore at her clothes and skin, both of which were no match to his attack.

Juno could never be sure why there were people who wished to hurt her. Or what could possibly have someone so worked up over at six thirty in the morning? All she could do at this moment is cry and wish for him to stop. She could feel her blood leaving her system, and her vision started to darken. She gave a strangled cry and tried to kick him away as he ripped her jeans and the skin of her thigh in one motion.

That seemed to be the thing that saved her, as another had been alerted. The second wolf knocked the brown one off of her, leaving her bleeding on the ground alone. The two of them sparred for a moment before the brown one seemed to give up, trotting away.

The savior wolf turned to her and watched as Juno attempted to curl in on herself in pain. She is covered in her own blood and is moments from passing out. The wolf looks at her, his dark fur illuminated from behind by the rising sun. He is just a dark blur to her.

Juno hears him whine as she closes her eyes, unable to keep them open any longer. If this is the sweet embrace of death she'll take it. The blood loss makes her feel funny. She could feel him step closer to her, but Juno knew that he couldn't be much help to her unless he is merciful enough to take her to the pack's hospital.

Before all of her senses quit on her, Juno could feel the way he sat close to her and licked at her face. She knew her place, his actions weren't ones of subordination. The wolf is the same ginger from all those months ago.

Not that she would remember when she woke.

~~~

1683 words. Published 11.5.2022. Edited 12.10.2023

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

514K 19.4K 27
"Her smile scares the shît out of me." -------- A runaway girl falls onto restricted pack lands and to everyone's surprise she calls them all wolves...
844 7 15
[Was called The Girl with a Past/The past of a lone wolf] Athena, a girl who homeless and alone. Runs away from her old town planning on heading towa...
Xylus By immi

Werewolf

453K 14.6K 20
"Stop walking away from me!" I rolled my eyes before turning around to face him. "Oh sorry Alpha, I didn't know I had to ask your permission to be e...
3.2K 158 29
COMPLETE Book 3 of the "My Best Friends' Alpha is My Mate" series. Overprotective parents. An annoying twin brother. Denied my title. Shy. No running...