Undercover

By theawkwardgiant

Every celebrity wants to live a normal life. Little did Lea McKenzie know, the only way for her to achieve th... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Epilogue

Chapter 8

368 10 0
By theawkwardgiant

Shopping must be her remedy. She gets a little more pep in her step as she drags me into a little boutique. We head straight to the swimsuit aisle. We both pick a rack and start going through their options.

Kara is still quiet as we look for something. I want to start up a conversation, but can't figure out anything. I've never hung out around a lake before. I hope it will be peaceful. It might give me some material for lyrics.

Kara shrieks. Becoming accustom to the silence, I start freaking out.

"What is it? What's wrong?"

"This would be absolutely gorgeous on you!" She jumps up and down with excitement. A bathing suit in her hand.

"I will if you calm down." I compromise.

Jesus. She scared the crap out me. My mind almost drifted to thoughts about Ian.

She falters slightly and pouts. "Fine." She gives it to me and shoves me into a dressing room.

I actually take a look at the item she threw at me and gape. "Kara, I am not wearing this!"

"Oh, pish-posh." She fakes a British accent. "Just try it on."

"I've..." I blush. "I've never worn a swim suit."

Kara's head pops in with her mouth dropped. I shrug, self-consciously. I never had a chance to be around a pool with my hectic schedule. Plus, I don't know how to swim. There was no need to get one.

"Well, trust me with this one." She leaves.

It's a two piece bikini. The top is striped with red, blue, black and white colors and the bottoms are solid black. I struggle little attempting to put the swimwear on.

"Hurry up already!" Kara whines.

"Shut up." I step out from the room.

She's facing away from me when I come out. I clear my throat. She turns around and her jaw drops. I instantly try to cover my body.

"Olivia..."

"Does it look that bad?" I chew my bottom lip.

"Bad? Dude, you look amazing!"

"Are you sure?"

"Am I...Hold on!" She takes off running.

I crane my neck to see where she runs off to. Other shoppers gaze over at me from time to time. My face reddens.

"Sorry, about my friend." I laugh uncomfortably.

Kara comes back with a guy. I squeak with surprise. Both the guy and I are red from the embarrassment that Kara is putting us through.

"Doesn't she look hot?" she asks the guy.

He rubs the back of his neck and tries not to look at me too long. "Err...um...yes? Can I go now?"

I nod frantically and cover my face. "I can't believe you did that!"

"What? You didn't believe me!

"Can I change now?" I groan.

Note to self: Don't underestimate Kara's willingness to prove a point.

"No." She snatches off the tag from the top and give me a pair of shorts. "Just put your clothes back on."

I watch her disappear once again. I pull the shorts on and put my work shirt on. My hair goes into a high bun on top of my head. With my discarded clothes in a ball, I go look for Kara. She's outside already. I look to the clerk then to Kara.

Kara pokes her head back. "Will you come on? I paid for it."

I smile knowing I'm not apart of some robbery. She guides me through the town towards the few trees that line the "wilderness".

"Are you sure you know where you're going?"

The screams of laughter answers me.

"Kara! What took you so long? I thought you got lost!" Trent teases from the secluded lake once we emerge from the trees.

So, this was the lake. It's like looking at a hot spot that no one knows about.

Jonas, Jeremiah, Trent, Lucas, and some other people I haven't met litter everywhere. I look at Kara whose mood dampens with the sight of Lucas. She takes her clothes off, leaving her bathing suit the only thing she has on and sprints down the dock into the lake.

I sigh. She just left me by my lonesome and I don't know a lot of the people that are here. I barely know enough to socialize with like I do with Kara. Jeremiah hops out of the lake and comes over to me.

"Glad you made it." He places an arm over my shoulders.

I fidgeted and put a small smile on my lips. He leads me to the group of people. I can feel a lot of eyes on me, but there's one set I feel in particular. I avoid looking at Jonas.

"You know Trent and Lucas." Jeremiah begins to introduce me to people.

I'm positive I won't remember any names. I'm not sure how, but I manage to get away from the crowd. I snag a good view of the lake against a tree. I pull out my notebook and try to let inspiration find me.

The screams and laughter would distract me and the thought that everyone would eventually be looking for me. Also, I'd taken off my work shirt and I didn't want to anyone to see. You'd think the later it got, the cooler the air would be.

"You okay over here?" Jonas pops out from around the tree.

I yelp in surprise.

"Sorry." He raises his hands up.

I guess it wasn't entirely his fault. It's beginning to get dark out. And I wasn't paying attention.

"It's cool."

He sits next to me. "So, are you?"

I frown. "Am I what?"

"Okay over here?" He chuckles.

"Oh. Sorry. Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just sunbathing I guess."

He nods. We fall in silence for a while. Why is he over here with me? Did he come seek me out on his own accord or was Kara meddling?

I wipe my sweaty palms against my hair. I hate he makes me so nervous. It's stupid Kara's fault. She's gone and filled my head with thoughts of Jonas.

"Sorry about what happened in class today."

I try to figure out if he's just apologizing about how he acted or the only situation.

"Why are you apologizing to me?"

"Because it you were caught in the middle of it."

"Do you really not like him?"

He looks at me with surprise.

Did I just overstep an invisible boundary?

"Sorry, you don't have to answer that."

"No, it's fine. It's not that I don't like him. He just really gets under my skin sometimes."

"Then why are you still friends?"

He smiles at me. I notice the freckles on his face. I pull away. We're too close.

He looks me over. "I keep asking myself everyday."

We stare at the lake.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure." He responds.

"Do you...like do I..." I huff.

What's the best way to ask this?

"Do I what?"

"I don't know. Do you have a problem with me?"

"I don't know. You just don't seem too friendly to me and I just wanted to make sure I haven't done anything."

"I--"

Jeremiah pops out from around the tree. "There you are."

I scream again. Jesus Christ! They're going to kill me before Ian does.

"Here I am," I say with a fake eager tone, trying to catch my breath.

Jonas snickers beside me. I quickly stash my notebook in my bag and stand up. There's no use in hiding if people are going to join me. I dust the grass off my shorts and plaster a concert smile on my face.

"I was wondering where you disappeared off to." Jeremiah smiles, completely ignoring Jonas.

Jonas remains on the ground.

"Well, you found me."

"Want to get in the water for a little bit?"

I swallow hard. "Uh, no, thanks. I'm fine."

"Oh, come on. Just a quick dip." He persists as his eyes give away that he really just wants to see the rest of my bikini.

I cross my arms. "Really, I'm okay. I'll just watch you guys."

Jonas stands up with his hands clenched.

Why must I always be caught in the middle.

"Well, I'm sorry Olivia..." Jeremiah hangs his head sadly.

I relax.

"That you didn't go willingly!" He laughs as he scoops me up in his arms.

I scream. "Jeremiah, this isn't funny. Put me down."

He turns toward the lake.

"Please put me down!" I try to keep my voice calm.

He throws me over his shoulder. Jonas is close on his heels, looking at me with heavy concern.

"Dude, just put her down." He can't forcefully get me down without hurting me, but the stern way he speaks helps put me at ease.

Jeremiah will listen to him.

"You'll thank me later." Jeremiah ignores Jonas and me.

My eyes widen. "Jeremiah!" I fight harder as my chest constricts. "Please. Please put me down."

Crying would be so embarrassing but what else could I do?

"Jere, what are you doing?" Kara's voice floats over to us.

I look at her pleading for help. She sprints over to us.

"One..." Jeremiah teases.

"Please, you don't understand!" I cry.

"Jeremiah!" Everyone shouts his name.

"Two..."

"No, wait! I can't--"

"Three!" Jeremiah tosses me into the air.

"I can't swim!" I scream as I splash into the lake.

There's a loud smack when the water hits my back. My first reaction is to gasp. Water quickly darts into my open mouth. I quickly close it and try to kick to the surface. Bubbles blur my vision, leaving me disoriented. My lungs tighten and my heat bangs wildly in my chest.

I try to move faster towards air, but the more the surface seems to escape me. The water is adamant in dragging me down.

I'm going to drown!

The water is disturbed again. Tired of my lungs protesting for air, my brain demands for me to open my mouth to breathe. I gag on the water filling me up. Bubbles rush out of me. I find it hard to stay awake.

A memory comes into play. The night my parents died.

After that, everything fades out.

"ONE. TWO. THREE. Four. Five. Six. Seven. Eight. Nine. Ten. Eleven. Twelve. Thirteen. Fourteen. Fifteen."

"Olivia!"

"She's not breathing!"

"Shut up! Twenty-Five. Twenty-Six. Twenty-Seven. Twenty-Eight. Twenty-Nine. Thirty."

I cough wildly. Water coming out of my throat and my nose.

"Turn her over."

I gag trying to get it all out.

"You're going to be OK." Someone rubs my back.

I can't reply. I knew going to the lake was a bad idea, but I think it was an even worse idea not to tell anyone I couldn't swim and think I'd be safe. I cough up some more lake water.

"Take your time."

I lean into the body supporting me.

"Oh, my God! Jeremiah, you're a serious jerk!" Kara's frantic voice snap. "You could have killed her!"

"I didn't know!"Jeremiah shouts.

"Olivia, can you hear me?"

I'm pretty sure it's Jonas' voice. I try to nod, but my head begins to spin.

"Take it easy."

I feel like I'm wheezing. My throat feels so raw.

"You have to believe me, if I knew. I wouldn't have thrown her in. I didn't know." The guilt is evident in Jeremiah's voice.

I try opening my eyes slowly. My vision is invaded with spots before it clears. I'm crowded by everyone. Jonas kneels beside me, baring my weight. I'm too exhausted to blush under the scrutiny.

"It's a good thing your mom made Jonas be a life guard last summer." A girl mutters.

"Okay, give her room, guys. She's okay." Jonas dismisses them.

The group dwindles to Kara, Lucas, and Jeremiah.

"You okay, Liv?" Jeremiah asks softly.

I attempt to smile, but it feels like a grimace.

"Why didn't you tell anyone you couldn't swim?" Jonas snaps.

I shrug slightly. Lucas gives me his towel and places it on my shoulders.

"I was embarrassed." I croak.

Kara runs off somewhere before coming back with a water bottle. I take it from her, but after all water that has gone down my throat and up again, I'm sick of water.

"Plus, I didn't think I would need to worry about getting near the water."

"Drink some water. It help your throat."

I take a swig and it turns into me gulping it down. I guess I wasn't so tired of water after all.

"Slow it down." Jonas warns, taking the bottle from me.

At least I feel a lot better with the new water replenishing me.

"That's why you were off by yourself earlier?" Jonas whispers in my ear.

I shiver at his proximity before nodding.

"I'll go get the truck. Stay with her?" Jonas stands up.

Kara replaces him instantly trying not to squeeze me too tight as she holds me. I think it's more for her than myself.

"I guess you probably would want me to stop scaring you?" I joke.

"You think!" She glares, but couldn't fight the grin on her face. "You're really turning out to be a crazy potential best friend, Liv."

"I can carry her if you want." Jeremiah offers.

I cringe. I don't blame him for my near death experience, however,  I'm not all too eager for him to carry me again.

"You've done enough." Jonas speaks in a sickeningly calm voice.

Even Kara seems a little startled by her brother's tone.

"Jonas--"

"Shut up, Jere. If you have any sense, you'd shut up and walk away." Jonas growls.

Jeremiah looks like he wants to press the issue, but thankfully, he knows how to pick his battles. He apologizes again to me before walking away. Jonas leaves to get the truck.

"Is she going to be okay?" Lucas pushes his glasses back up the bridge of his nose.

"I hope so. Her relatives may want her to go to the hospital for observation." Kara avoids his gaze.

I want to reprimand her, but I'm too tired. I just sit and listen.

"Kara, are you all right?"

"My friend almost died, Luke." She whispers.

"You know I meant before this. Why won't you look at me?"

I want to tell him what's really going through her mind, but Jonas shows up in the truck. He leaves the motor running and gets out. It's the same truck I saw Kara on when I first got here.

"I got to go." She mutters before going to get her things.

Lucas doesn't simply take that answer and goes after her.

"Do you need me to carry you or can you walk?" Jonas tears my attention away from the tragic teens.

I look up at him and I'm dazzled by how handsome he is. I mentally curse Kara for putting these betraying hopeful thoughts in my head.

"Thank you for saving my life. You seem to always come to my rescue."

He gives a ghost of a smile. "Well, Kara would kill me if I didn't."

"I think I'll try walking." I whisper.

He helps me stand up. My knees buckle causing him to hold me closer. I feel like I'm drowning all over again. Gravity pulling me to the bottom. He picks me up.

"I think we'll try option A."

I rest my head on his shoulder. I'm really tired. I feel like I could sleep for a century if I was allowed. It's funny how I'm supposed to be protected from dying and I keep finding situations where death itself will get me.

I need protection from myself. Jonas puts me in the truck on the drive side and slides in after me. It's a two passenger truck with the option of squeezing a third person. That means I will be pressed against his warm body until I got home. A ridiculous part of me suggests for me to drown more often.

Jonas shuts his door and honks the horn.

"Kara!" He yells.

She and Lucas are discussing something deeply.

"Hey," I touch his arm, "Let Lucas take her home. They need it."

He gives me a confused look before glancing back at Kara.

"Fine." He mutters.

Kara starts heading our way until she realizes that Jonas is pulling away. The surprise is all too evident on her face. She'll pounced on me once she finds out it was my idea. The sun is gone as Jonas cruises to my house.

He leaves the windows cracked slightly so I won't feel a chill of the wind. I lay my head on his shoulder. Soon he wraps his free arm around me, causing me to snuggle deeper into him for warmth.

Or at least that's what I tell myself  to explain why I did it. He smells like the lake and trees. It's obvious why, but it doesn't stop sniffing him like a weirdo. The whole scene is soothing.

Now, I'm left trying to figure out if leaving Kara wasn't for selfish reasons. When Jonas pulls up to the house, it's dark and the truck is missing.

"Are you're Aunt and Uncle home?" He turns the engine off.

I peek up drowsily. "It doesn't look like it."

"I don't think you should be left alone." He looks around outside.

I look up at him feeling delirious. "How long was I unconscious?"

There has to be some serious side effects from having oxygen cut off from my brain for a while.

"Not too long. Maybe 5 minutes." He frowns at my random question.

"Why did you go in after me?" I hold his gaze.

"I mean, like Tami said, I was a life guard once." He rubs the back of his neck with his free hand looking embarrassed.

"Oh." I pull away. "Thanks for being there...again."

What am I thinking? That he jumped in a lake because he couldn't imagine losing me? What is? Some romance novel?

"Let's not make a habit of it." He teases.

"Wait...you said I was unconscious for like 5 minutes, right?"

"Yeah?"

My face burns. "Did you...did you give me mouth to mouth?" I whisper.

Oh, my God. My first kiss was someone trying to bring me back to life!

Way to go, Lea.

This will be a great story to tell the grand-kids.

Sorting through my thoughts, I don't notice he doesn't answer. He searches my face.

"What are you thinking about?"

I swallow the butterflies trying to escape my throat. It's my turn not answer.

How humiliating would be to spill the beans?

Very.

His eyes shifted down to my lips for a second longer than normal people. I grab the towel tighter.

What's happening right now?

He licks his lips slightly as his eyes met mine again.

Holy...why was that...attractive? 

What is happening right now?

No, this is like...this is like Stockholm Syndrome. I'm not about to crush on a guy I barely know with some ex girlfriend drama, who doesn't know my real name, and has saved my life.

I seriously need to get it together!

"Remember when you asked about why I treat you so differently?"

No.

"Yes?"

He leans in towards me.

Oh, my God.

Oh, my sweet holy Lord.

He tilts my head up towards him. I can't believe I'm letting this happen! But despite my panic, my eyes flicker to his lips. I wonder what it would feel like....I wonder what a real genuine kiss would feel like.

Without a second thought, I close my eyes.

He's going to kiss me and I'm going to let him.

It's going to happen.

It's--

My eyes snap open as I lean away from Jonas' face and throw up.

So, I guess it wasn't butterflies I felt in my stomach.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

689 57 18
Toronto Expérimental High School is anything but your average high school. There's no classes, just a long stretch of hallway and people are supposed...
2.7K 68 25
a young girl has the normal life she always wanted. living on the west coast not a worry in the world. Until she sees something she wasn't supposed...
4.2K 274 49
All Leila wanted to do was live her dream as an actress in Hollywood. She wasn't prepared for the drama with her co-star and the deadly competition i...
117 39 16
After Clara's parents move to a different country and let her grandfather look after her, he passes away and she is forced to go to a boarding school...