Abducted | Book 1 | Vreekar

By ilyaaime

| * I N * P R O G R E S S * | | P R O L O U G E | Overpopulation. Climate change. Nuclear warfare. Despite... More

one |
two |
four |
five |
six |
seven |
eight |
nine |
ten |
eleven |
twelve |
thirteen |
fourteen |
fifteen |
sixteen |
seventeen |
eighteen |
nineteen |
twenty pt one
one | vreekar [sneak peek]
twenty pt two
twenty one |
two | vreekar [sneak peek]
twenty two |

three |

17.9K 707 794
By ilyaaime

. : * : .

"And as I looked at the star, I realised what millions of other people have realised when looking at stars. We're tiny. We don't matter. We're here for a second and then gone the next. We're a sneeze in the life of the universe."

— Danny Wallace

The big Frivrok that attacked first carried the woman who looked like Marbie. I fought him at first, but he made fun of me as I attempted to sling her over my shoulder. His disposition became serious once again when she made a noise of pain. I walked beside him, studying his features. He had broad shoulders, and his jaw was rough with stubble. 

Though they resembled us, they were inhumanly large and obviously had more animalistic reflexes. Additionally, they obviously were more aesthetically pleasing than all the male models on earth combined.

He lead us away from the crowd and into a tiny room. A Frivrok man in a lab coat gasped as he saw the woman he was carrying in his hands. The inside of the room was metallic but more high-tech. It had a operating table, and machines that resembled the ones around when they were examining me before they put me on the ship. I shivered, trying to ignore it.

"Grivak!" He said, staring at the man. He stammered out "Hovari. . rihovutro-"

"These two speak English, Fladvek." Responded the Frivrok man, holding the Marbie look alike. He put her down on the operating table with gentleness.

"Grivak." The Frivrok in the lab coat, Fladvek warned.

"I have permission. Please." Grivak gestured to the blonde. I awkwardly situated myself in the corner. Both men began fumbling about her, getting bandages and putting needles in her arms. In English, Grivak began softly replaying what had happened. He explain how many of us were brought here unwillingly, and how there was to be a conference soon. He explained how she was the "first blood" and that he had started the fight. Fladvek had frowned, shifting awkwardly, but then gave Grivak a reassuring nod.

"Gramik evuzritro, riuzri."

Grivak looked at Fladvek and nodded, his features appreciative of whatever the apparent doctor had said.

The Marbie look alike shifted. She was bandaged up and some color was returning to her skin. She blinked her eyes open, and screamed at the sight of the two Frivrok men bending over her. They automatically stepped back.

She sat up hurriedly, "O ciel! Mon dieu!" She began to made strangled noises and screamed in what I recognized was French. I made a bold move to push past the two Frivrok men.

Without thinking I gripped her hand, "It's okay." I said, searching her eyes for some sort of understanding.

Her eyes scanned mine, and then recognition hit her. It was almost as if I was her, seeing flashes of me fighting my way out and running to her to help.

"Toi?" She whispered in disbelief, scanning my face.

I nodded, and used what I had learn from high school french class to say yes, me. "Oui. Oui. C'est moi." I blinked, not being able to string together more french. I squeezed her hand, "It will be okay." I said, hoping she understood.

"Okay." She repeated and smiled through tears, pulling me in for a hug.

I blinked and awkwardly hugged back. The Frivrok man who had carried her here, Grivak, said, "I am apologetic for interrupting, but we must go to the gathering hall now." He had two fingers pressed to his ear as if listening to an ear piece, but nothing was there.

I looked back at the girl, but she was staring at Grivak, a pink tint in her cheeks, "Qui es-tu?"

Grivak simply blinked at her, then looked at me, "I do not understand. . "

"It's French." I turned my attention to the Marbie look alike. In my worst french, I attempted to tell her that he fought the soldier who hurt her, and that he helped her. "Il est un Frivrok. Il vous a aidé. Il a combattu le soldat qui vous a blessé." I tapped the bandage at her forehead, and her hand flew up to feel it. She seemed to connect the dots, and realized that he brought her to get bandaged up.

Her lips parted slowly as she looked past me at Grivak, her face turning even more pink. "Thank you." She said softly. He nodded then opened the door, gesturing us to follow. 

The "gathering hall" was vast and sparse. At the end of the room was a large panel with five seats. Facing the seats were stadium like chairs. In the center of the room was a giant hologram of what seemed to be the universe. The strange Frivrok language seemed to label some major stars and planets.

The Marbie look alike never stopped gripping my arm, and when we entered the large gathering hall, I realized that the seating was split between men and women, for the most part. There were, however, some Frivrok men handing out food and walking with tiny medical kits, giving aid to anyone who needed it. The Frivrok men eyed the women carefully as if worried they'd crack at any minute.

The Marbie look alike and I found seats in the middle of one of the rows. We stared at the hologram, and stared at the five empty chairs. It felt a lot like the Supreme Courtroom, except hundreds of times bigger. Women huddled together or held themselves, obviously still shaken and trying to keep themselves together. 

I turned to face the Marbie look alike. 

We spoke simultaneously. "What's your name?" I asked, "Parlez-vous français?" She asked. 

I tried my best to smile, but my mood wasn't having it. "Oui, un peu." I said.

She beamed at me. Her eyes were warm and her smile soft. She squeezed my arm, "Je m'apelle Julie. English is ugly, but for you I will speak it. Et toi? Your name?"

Well. Okay then.

"Naomi." I said stiffly, surprised at how upbeat she was capable of being despite our situation. In the corner of my eye, I saw the same Frivrok leader enter into the room and seat himself in one of the large seats at the head of the room. Followed by him were other Frivrok, one was seemingly a woman I noted. 

"What a beautiful name." She smiled at me, then her face turned serious. She looked me in the eye, "Naomi, tell me why you tried to help me. Why risk it?" 

With no use in lying, I simply told her, "You looked like you needed it. You also look a lot like my best friend. She's like a sister to me. ." 

Her eyes welled with sympathy, "Is she here? You've mistaken me for her. We must find her-" 

I shook my head and smiled sadly, "No. She's not here. She's home."

Julie's face became even more sad. Home. Earth. A planet I hated so much but now longed to go back to.

"It's okay." I said, trying to suppress anymore feelings.

A wave of quiet ushered around the room. I looked to my right, and noticed that the Frivrok men seemed to have multiplied. There were at least a hundred more than there were back in the cargo port. So much for a simple conference between everyone in the cargo port. It looked as if half of the ship could've been trying to come into the gathering hall.

The Frivrok leader's voice brought my attention back to him. 

"I apologize for not formally introducing myself." The hologram in the center of the room changed from a map of the universe into subtitles for other Earth languages, as well as the Frivrok's odd script.

"I am Sohelk." He paused, then closed his eyes as if the next string of words took enormous amounts of energy to iterate, "To relay what has happened for the Frivrok just joining us now. ." I looked up and realized there were screens in the room of the leader, Sohelk, with Frivrok subtitles. I assumed that there were screens like this around the ship as well.  Everyone must be watching. . Sohelk stood up and placed himself at the center of the room on a platform just below the hologram subtitles.

"The women of Earth that have been promised to us were taken from their planet unwillingly by their governments. They attempted resistance, but were met with brute force from their soldiers, resulting in the first blood. The Council has decided that acts of war by our men are dismissed, due to the first blood being that of a woman, and that it was spilt by Earth's people. We will not retaliate against the Earthlings, that has been decided."

Some girls let out a sigh of relief. Murmurs of disapproval rose within the Frivrok men, but Sohelk put a hand up and silenced them.

He then addressed us, "During your examination, your people have placed micro chips inside of you to help us monitor your health. Upon examination of the feedback, the data collected shows that there have been fifteen deaths." 

After he said that, it felt as if everyone was holding their breath. 

He reminded us once again, that we were kidnapped and forced to be here. "The agreement we made with your Earth leaders was that they would alert the public that the eligible women could fill out applications volunteering their bodies for breeding-" 

"What better would that have made it?" A girl braver than I said, "You're using us for baby making!" She stood, her face blazing red, and cheeks streaked with tears. 

The Frivrok woman who was seated in one of the five seats, obviously a member of the Council, stood and hissed, "Ikaigrhov!" It was the same thing Sohelk had said to stop and silence the Frivrok when they were fighting. I assumed it meant something along the lines of, "Shut up" or, "Stop or I'll kill you." 

The Frivrok woman was as tall as the Frivrok men, but slender. Her hair was long and white, and she too like Sohelk was very well aged. Despite this, she reigned superiority, and seemed threatening despite coming from a planet where men outnumbered her. 

"It is okay, Klena, they mean no harm." Sohelk said soothingly, "Consider what they've been through." 

She pursed her lips and sat down.

Sohelk addressed the woman who spoke out, "You misunderstand our terms. The Frivrok men would have never used you for simply breeding. It is true that we are in need of women, and our statistics of men outnumbering women are devastatingly true. However, when Frivrok men choose their mates, and claim commitment, they choose and claim for life."

I felt the women around me hold their breaths, mates?  Commitments? I looked at Julie, her eyes were wide and her face pink as she blinked at me. All these terms were strange and new. We both looked back at Sohelk. 

He continued, "It is much different than it is on your planet. The men of Frivrok cherish their women. We have courting periods before any actual linking takes place. It is a link, body, mind, and soul, made for a lifetime. Frivroks mate for life. Which is why we only wanted willing participants. We expected these willing participants to fill out applications so that we could easily see if there would be a match between our two species. We were going to pair you with your best matched Frivrok. You would not have been used to simply make babies, but you would have been paired for a lifetime of wellbeing. This is the message in which we expected to be carried out from your leaders to your public." 

He paused for a moment to let us take it all in. I gulped. The applications were supposed to be some sort of . . . pairing . . matchmaking simulation for willing applicants. Except. . none of us were willing. None of us even knew about the Frivrok's male to female ratio until today. None of us even knew the drafts for war were fake until now. 

"Unfortunately," Sohelk sighed, "This is obviously not what had happened. Once again, the Council and I send our deepest apologies regarding the situation. It appears you have all been forced into filling out war applications . . and fooled into thinking they were for war. It appears that your governments have been keeping us hidden from you, and our proposals, though we have helped your people dearly. . " He paused, looking as if he was attempting his best to not sound bitter. 

He continued, "We wish that we could change what has happened. We have contacted the leaders of Earth regarding the foul play. . " 

A girl who had a slight southern American accent called, "Will you send us back to Earth then?"

Another girl spoke out, "We wan't to go home." Agreement rose within the group of one hundred or so girls. 

More voices sounded, "We won't tell anyone about what happened."

The Frivrok woman pursed her lips, obviously offended by the shouts. 

Sohelk put his hand up to silence them, a gesture which was used on the Frivrok men and had surprisingly worked on the Earth women as well. 

"I am touched that you would swear to secrecy, but. . " Sohelk paused, "There is no easier way to iterate this: your leaders released custody over you." 

Silence. 

Then outrage.

"What do you mean?" A feminine voice squeaked.

"I don't belong to anyone- they can't release me!" 

Sohelk's voice was surprisingly stern and loud over the shouts, "Your leaders have eradicated you from their systems. They have deleted your existence. They have put up barriers around the planet with our own technology, disallowing us entry to return you. They told your families and friends you are dead. If you go back, you will be targeted and killed. They see you as a threat. They do not want the public to know about our people's situation. You are safer here than you are there. It is either here, or the void. Your people never wanted a longterm deal with us, so they thought it'd be best to give us what we wanted then shut us out completely." 

Silence. Not even protests, outrage, shouts, or loud sobs were heard. Just the sound of women attempting to hold back tears. 

Dead. Dead. Oh my God. Marbie must think I am dead-

No. No no no. No- It can't. Of course she thinks I'm dead. If that's what they told her. .  Oh Marbie! I felt tears sting my eyes. Memories of Marbie and my cat Wednesday flooded my mind. 

Sohelk's voice was softer this time, "Your grievances are felt deeply within the hearts of the Frivroks. We wanted nothing more but unions formed between our two worlds out of consent. We simply wanted to unite our two species and continue our legacy. We never wanted anything like this to happen." 

He gave a long pause to let us recollect ourselves. A glance at the Frivrok males showed faces full of concern and worry. 

Everyone I know and love thinks I'm dead. Not that that's a lot of people. . there's just Marbie and Wednesday. Oh poor Wednesday! The poor cat will be standing by the door meowing. . waiting for me to come home. . but I never will. I can't go home- they will kill me. And If I wish to leave,  I will be thrown into space. Marbie will get a phonecall that I'm dead. . she'll be so heartbroken. 

I bit my lip, trying to suppress emotion from coming to the surface. There is no where else, but here. 

I realized that when the sun rises on Earth the next morning, I will be dead in their memories. . Or perhaps I'm already dead. But truly, I'm not. I'm alive and well amongst the stars. . but that is how my memory will be made. The memory they will have of me will be a lie. And somehow the Earth will keep rotating, and people will continue to live and die, wether their deaths or true or not. No one will know I still exist. I am so insignificant, so minuscule on this galactic level. There are beings that are struggling to continue, and here I am fidgeting over my own existence and well being and personal string of events. These thoughts made me feel numb. . made me feel unreal. 

Looking around, I almost laughed with irony. I've always wanted to go up into space. To find other life. I never thought it would happen like this. 

Sohelk cleared his throat, "There are not enough spare dwelling quarters for each of you," Not enough space? This entire place was bigger than any spaceship NASA could've comprehended.  "aside from the ones that each of you were to be assigned to, quarters which belonged to predestined mates based on the applications. The Council has determined that we will still go on with the courting ceremony, it is what's best."

I felt my fist clench in my lap. No one argued. No one yelled. It was almost as if the women in this room had miserably come to accept their fate, or that they were will numb with shock.  

First kidnapped. Then stripped naked. Then interrogated. Then drugged. Then taken on the first spaceship out of here. Then suddenly told I'll be getting some sort of alien husband to make babies with to help replenish an alien race. Peachy. 

Sohelk once again apologized for how out of place everything was, and how informal the entire situation was. 

"I am deeply sorry, and I know that none of you can even think about making a commitment now, but. . ." I drowned him out as he talked. He told us about how it was in the best interest to move on. He said some poetic stuff about how we shouldn't dwell on the past. Easy for you to say, buddy. You weren't the one kidnapped and told you'd have to make tons of alien babies. 

He then began to explain how the courting ceremony would work, despite just being given news that our governments basically hate us and think we're simply items that can be traded away for cool tablets and big guns. I simply held myself, and tried to keep from shaking. 

"The courting period is uncomplicated. We have already paired you, picking courtships based on applications. We will first call up the Earth woman, and then the Frivrok man. The couple will have ample time to get to know each other without the pressure of having to procreate. The couple will have two months to get to know each other, within that time it is not mandatory to procreate, however if the situation arises and both parties find it necessary to join in a link, then it is perfectly okay. At the end of two months, we do however, urge the procreation period to commence if it hasn't already."

After his explanation about what a "courting period" was, he then said, "The Council and I have decided we would start things out of the ordinary, which is suitable considering the entire situation at hand is out of the ordinary." He spoke with great volume, addressing the crowd of Earth women and Frivrok men, "We will start with the first blood." 

Next to me, Julie squeezed my arm, whispering to herself, "C'est moi. . " 

She gulped as Sohelk stared straight at her, "Please, come down." 

She looked around, then at me and I squeezed her hand in reassurance, "There is nowhere else. ." I reminded her, "Just go."  

Wearily she stood, then made her way down the stairs and to the platform where Sohelk stood. She gingerly faced the crowd. I was surprised she hadn't fainted or was able to walk there knowing that everyone was staring at her. 

Sohelk, from his regal looking robe, pulled out a small glass tablet. He then asked her to place her thumb on it, which she did. The tablet blinked green, "Julie Deforest". It announced. 

"Because of this rare occasion, we will allow the first blood to choose the Frivrok which she wishes to be paired with. If she has no preference, we will give her the partner which was chosen by the database." 

Murmurs rose within the Frivrok men. Could they do that? Was that allowed? If you already had a perfect match why would you leave it to someone to choose when they knew nothing about the other person?

I stopped myself and realized that is exactly what people did anyways. They got married or started dating without even knowing who they were with. 

And what is a first blood? I wanted to ask. Why was it so important? I get she was injured and all but. . .

Julie didn't seemed phased by her position or the apparent gift of choice she was given. Instead, her eyes looked determined as she scanned the crowd of Frivrok men. Her eyes landed on one standing at the back of the room. I followed her eyes and recognized the same Frivrok that had carried her, the one that started the fight for her, the one that took her to the med. Grivak. 

 She lifted a finger and pointed to him.

"Him." She said simply. All eyes followed where her finger pointed.

Grivak's eyes grew wide, and his face flushed with a tint of pink. He had cleaned up somewhat, putting on a gray shirt and tying his hair back into a sleek low bun. 

Sohelk smiled warmly, understanding her choice. Grivak didn't skip a beat, he marched over to the platform with dedication, never peeling his eyes off of Julie. Though she was tall, he towered over her. They stood facing each other, Sohelk in the middle. Sohelk lifted the tablet to him, and he placed his thumb on it, "Grivak Ikarove Sanqrt Tren." The machine announced.

Grivak kneeled before her like she was royalty, took her hand, and attempted his best English, though by the hue of his cheeks you could tell he was struggling, "I am honored. . . grateful to be your chosen." His eyes bore into hers, "I promise to. .  shield you. Never will I carelessly abandon you as your leaders did. Though we were not matched, I believe the stars matched this moment for us. Your life is now as much mine as it is yours." 

Julie smiled, her eyes watering with tears. "Je t'aime deja." 

He looked at her half confused, mostly because he probably had only studied English, and half incredulously. . happy. He looked happy. Honored even. Like he was just gifted with precious treasure. Well, Julie is beautiful. So what man wouldn't look at her like that? Frivrok or Human. 

Sohelk nodded at Grivak, and he got up. Solhelk nodded at Grivak, and Grivak nodded eagerly back.

Grivak gingerly lead her over to a seat. She huddled extra close to him, squeezing his arm. Grivak couldn't stop looking at her like this was a dream to him. 

Despite being kidnapped and thrown away like trash by the people from our planet, Julie was handling herself quite well. I should learn a thing or two from her. She was obviously quick to adapt and accommodate new situations. She'd survive.

Survive what? I asked myself. 

The second time around, Sohelk used his tablet to call out a name. I recognized the woman with mocha skin and curly hair standing, then making her way down. She rubbed her arm and fidgeted self-consciously. She placed her thumb on the scanner. Sohelk called out another name, and a Frivrok man wiggled his way through the crowd. Once on the platform, he had his thumb scanned as well. He was at least two times her size, with scars running up and down his back and chest. He had a clean shaved head aside from a long strip of hair at the nape of his neck. He didn't make a grand gesture of going down on his knees, but he held her hand and recited some heartfelt words too. Something sappy about the stars and the moon and the planets aligning for this moment. The tension in the woman seemed to disappear, and he assured her things would be okay as he lead her to a seat.

One by one, names were called and people were being paired. The feeling in the room shifted from being miserable to a light eager anticipation. Some of these girls has light coming back into their eyes as their names were called. I reminded myself that no hot alien can erase the fact that my government kicked me off the planet and told my family and friends I died. Obviously, these girls didn't hold grudges. I did. 

It became a cycle. Earth woman was called up, Frivrok man was called up. Thumbs scanned. They held hands. The Frivrok man said something sentimental and promising, then Sohelk went on with calling the next pair. 

Slowly, the last of the women were called up. Some Frivrok men left, obviously disappointed, which made me wonder. . . Was this there only chance at having a bride. . of love?  I watched as some walked out angry, others with a cloud of gloom over there head. 

I realized I was the last girl, so I stood up getting ready for Sohelk to call my name. Then he said, "Women of Earth, we thank you so much for your cooperation and your service. . ." I sat down, feeling my face get hot. 

Was I not going to be called? My heart began to thump loudly in my chest.

"I hope you will find your new situation to be accommodating to you. I hope you will find happiness, and love. In return, you will bear for us the next generation of Frivrok, doing us the greatest service. Thank you once again." He turned his back and began to address the Council.

Don't cry. Don't cry. Don't cry. I told myself over and over. Not only do you get abducted and kicked off your planet by your government, but you also don't get a super hot alien husband. Sucks to suck, Nayo. Sorry. Guess you're just so terrible that even your application can't be matched with anyone! 

I sat there stunned and internally trying to control myself. Some couples began to stand up and walk out of the gathering hall. I bit my lip. Not only do I get thrown away by my government, but by the Frivrok as well. I should've just thrown myself into the void of space while I had the chance. Stupid Nayo. And you were actually getting a bit excited to meet your hot alien husband! You were trying to deny the anticipation. But deep down- you knew it would be super cool. Well guess what? You don't get one. Sucks for you. This is what you get for thinking you can even be happy while Marbie is probably feeding Wednesday lettuce because she can't find the can of cat food. 

I looked down at my hands which were balled into fists at my lap.

Okay Naomi. No big deal. I got up. Just follow the crowd, I thought calmly. And then find the cargo port. Throw yourself into the void. Problem solved. I nodded at my thoughts. 

I began to follow the crowd when a voice behind me stopped me, "Naomi Reed." 

I turned around and faced Sohelk. "You weren't planning on leaving going uncommitted, were you?" He smiled, his face warm and welcoming. 

"I-" I paused, "Well, it kind of seemed like that was the only option." I tried not to sound rude. 

"And what were you going to do with no where to go?"

"Well I was going to throw myself into the void." I said simply with a casual shrug as if it was everyday people just throw themselves into the vast expanse of space.

Sohelk smiled at me a bit, noting my humor. "You are amusing little one, but come. We have a special arrangement."

My eyes grew wide, "Whoah, look. No offense and all- I mean you're still looking good for an old guy, good for you, but I'd much rather-"

Sohelk cackled out with laughter, "Please, Naomi, I cannot even breed any longer, and as Seeker, I've sworn myself to abstinence." 

"As a what?" I asked.

"Come. This way. I have made a special arrangement. You have proven yourself worthy. You spoke up for your people. You are the moraitrov frazri troev proiapromii. The Morapro. "

"The what?" I blinked at him, completely clueless.

"It's not as beautiful in your language. It means, mouth people. Mouth for the people. You are their . . speaker." He chose the word carefully. 

"I really didn't choose to speak for anything- I mean. . you did address me first so . technically you chose. . ."

"Nonsense." He cut me off, "If you were not meant to be the Morapro, someone else would've spoken without needing to be addressed. You even shielded the first blood." 

This man was stubborn, and I was still confused as to why he thought I was so special. 

"Yeah- about that, what is a first-" I stopped myself when I realized he wasn't listening, instead he turned his back to me and was walking away.  He gestured with his hand for me to follow. I didn't suppose I'd be getting answers from him any time soon.

With reluctance, I followed him down the stairs and past the five large chairs which were now empty, to an automatic door in the back. We walked down a long hallway, dark and dim with hard floors. As I peeked into the rooms, available to view to me by ceiling to floor windows, I noticed the rest of the council members were all seated at a round table. As we walked past, the same Frivrok woman who was on the Council stared at me. 

I pried my eyes away and followed Sohelk. We kept walking through corridors, past steam pipes that seemed to huff out air every few minutes and past beams of blinking lights. Finally, he stopped at a opaque white door. He tapped it as if it was a giant tablet, and entered a passcode, then ushered me inside. 

The room was made out of dark mismatched metals. There was a glass round table with a map of the universe, except the difference from this one and the one in the gathering hall was that there were red marks on some planets. A lot of the planets, actually. 

A tall, extremely well built and toned Frivrok man was standing with his back faced to us, turning the hologram around, swiping it, and typing away at the keyboards on the table. 

He was wearing a black t-shirt, but even the fabric couldn't hide the defined lines in his back or the broad shoulders. He had brown trousers that hung nicely from his hips, and black combat boots.

His voice was somewhat deep and lazy as he exhaled, "Koai extro rizrii protro mori, ikdmii." 

"Speak English, kiproevri, we have a guest." 

The Frivrok's shoulders tensed, and he turned his head to the side. His profile was harsh and dark, a long straight nose, and a strong jawline. What struck me as odd was he wore a brown, worn eyepatch over his left eye. If I stared hard enough and slightly angled myself, I could faintly makeout a white scar. As for his other eye, his iris was as black as the galaxy without stars, with long black eyelashes casting shadows over his face. He turned his whole body to face us.

He was even more imposing facing us, even though he seemed to be of average Frivrok height. The only thing colorful about him was the slight warmth to his skin, a light kiss from the sun, but nothing compared to what I get from surfing all day. His hair was colored no different from his eye, a deep black with the only highlights in it being a simply lighter shade of midnight. His hair wasn't too short, it was enough that I could run my hands through it if I wanted to-

Woah. Wait. What? 

He tilted his head at me, looking unamused. I felt my heart stop beating. Not only was he big and intimidating, but he had an eyepatch. Great. What was he hiding under there? A laser eye that could cut me up into tiny pieces? Despite the eyepatch . . he was still okay to look at.

Okay to look at?! A voice in the back of my head asked, He's hot! 

Mentally arguing with myself, I thought, I mean I guess. . . if you're into space pirates. 

"Er-" I recalled Sohelk calling him kip. . .kiproe. . something. "Hello. . Kiproevri. . I'm Naomi." I said slowly. I tried to talk first since he was staring at me like I was a fly, and Sohelk didn't make any moves to say more. 

I attempted to look everywhere but the eyepatch. The corner of his lip twitched. Calling him Kiproevri seemed to put a damper on his mood. Oh God. Was that some sort of endearment? Did I address him to casually? 

Sohelk chuckled next to me, "Kiproevri means nephew, Naomi. You've been mistaken. His name is Vreekar Kogazi Zinagor." 

"Vree. . . car, er, sor-. . .Kogazi. . Sin. . ." I stammered, "I'm sorry, is there a shorter version for that? Like a nickname?" I felt my face get hot once again, nervousness detached my ability to form coherent sentences. The Frivrok gave off such a superior and threatening air that I couldn't think straight. Not only that, but he looked as if he could snap me in half with his pinky finger.

The Frivrok whose name I was unable to pronounce raised an unamused eyebrow, "For you? No." His tone was curt. He eyed me once more as if assessing the quality of dirt. I wanted to smack him in his overly handsome face. 

"So Vree it is then." I settled to myself aloud. Internally, I settled, So space pirate asshole it is then. 

Sohelk chuckled once more, "She has jokes, kiproevri."

"Amusing little Earth jester you've shared with me, now if that is all, I have work to be done." Vree said irritably, sarcasm dripping in his tone. He turned his back to us once again, going back to whatever he was doing. It's obvious he was tired and annoyed with me just being there. If this was the Frivrok Sohelk wanted to pair me with. . . I began to reconsider throwing myself into the void. The void seemed lovely at this time of day. Or night. Who knows? A lot of time can pass when you're . . oh I don't know. . kidnapped and now forced to make babies with a very mean Frivrok. I turned my head and looked at the door. Lets see. . if I make a right from here and then walk down the long hallway. . open the door. . go down a few corridors. . I should be back at the port and then- void! Alright. Sounds like a plan. 

Sohelk put his arm out, his long pale blue robe gliding against the floor as he walked over to Vree and put a hand on his shoulder. "This one was brave and spoke on behalf of her Earth women. She is the Morapro. We've reviewed her files and application. She is prime for breeding." I blushed at Sohelk's words, prime for breeding. Like I'm a farm animal. 

He continued, "She is studying engineering. On her planet she had wished to become what they call an astronaut. A sohuē miazri air shore zrisoh. Sailor of stars. You have so much you could teach her, and she could teach you. She fits the Frivrok moral and way of living." Sohelk was talking to Vree's back, but then he turned to me, looking at me as if attempting to decide wether or not Sohelk was lying to him about me. With a sideways glance at Sohelk, it was obvious Vree didn't believe it.

Solhelk looked to me, and as if noticing my eyes continuously glancing at the door, he began eagerly, "Vreekar is not only my nephew, but an elite. He is the best warrior on Frivrok. The strongest, and most feared." I could definitely see the most feared part. Each time he glanced at me I felt like shriveling up into a raisin and being blown away with the wind. Too bad there wasn't any wind in space. But there was always the void. I glanced at the door again.

Vree didn't seem phased by his uncle's boasting at all, he continued to fiddle around with the hologram as his uncle spoke fondly of him. If anything, Vree just looked bored, like it was everyday he tried bringing women in to pair him up with. 

Sohelk continued, his eyes on me, "He is wise beyond his years, and a great pilot. Naomi, you've shielded the first blood. You addressed me with fire in your eyes, Morapro. I've seen courage in your eyes, young one. My nephew is a brave heart, and you are too. Which is why I've decided to arrange for the both of you.

Vree turned and looked at Sohelk tiredly. "Ikdmii."He grit, irritation on his face obvious. "I told you I refuse to be with them. Let alone breed with them." He said "them" as if he was spitting right at my face. 

I narrowed my eyebrows but remained silent. 

Despite being gutsy and outspoken and proud earlier, and despite never caring what anyone ever had to say about me, his words hurt a bit. It wasn't everyday you get shut down by a hot alien. Since breeding is so important here I'm sure I could've thrown myself at any number of those disappointed wifeless Frivrok's and they would've been happy to have me! 

Solhelk's faced showed instant disapproval, his next string of words were more of the heart than a leveled lecture, "Ka katro sohproiuklo tra u riamorook miēkloi trovutro." He warned. "Zrigru zrik lie sohsoh afr hovri azriēgrek." His voice was final.

My cheeks started to burn, sensing the tension, I quickly jumped in, "Look, Solhelk. It's obvious he doesn't want me. . I appreciate how you're trying to set me up with Frivrok's best warrior and all because of what I did but honestly, all I did was talk. And Julie was next to me when her. . er. . first blood. . spilt? I was just the closest person at the time. . And- being an astronaut was just an aspiration. . I'm only in school for engineering. Or was, I guess since I can never go back- but I haven't even gotten my degree or a career set yet so I'm really not that important-" I began to ramble, then found the two Frivrok men staring at me. Solhelk listened intently and Vree just began to look even more and more annoyed with each word I spoke.

I caught my breath, then slowed my words down, "What I'm trying to say is. . It's fine. There are other Frivrok men who looked disappointed to not get a. . a. . wife."

"A courtship." Vree corrected tiredly. "No one has laid claim to anyone yet." He spoke as if I was the most stupid thing in the universe- which he probably did think that.

Now I really wanted to smack him. 

"Right. A courtship-" I corrected elegantly.

"My, little one, that is because it is the greatest honor to receive a courtship in the first place. A majority of our population of males will go on never entering a courtship, claiming a commitment, breeding, or linking." Solhelk informed me kindly.

I shut my mouth. Oh. Then why is your goddamn nephew being so damn ungrateful!? Fine- forget him. Screw him! I don't want him. I don't want a space pirate! Just give me someone else. And what the hell was linking? Like internet linking?

I wanted to sit on the floor and pinch the bridge of my nose. Everything was happening too fast. There was too much new information to digest. 

"Well. I mean, the effort in arranging us together is appreciated. . but maybe . . you can just set me up with whoever my application matched?" I offered.

"There, she is good for one thing. Giving you a good idea. Go do that, then." Vree patted Solhelk and turned to do his work again, until Solhelk smiled, his eyes soft and warm. 

"Humorous how you say this, kiproevri. Because when I put your profile in the matching pool, yours and Naomi's matched up perfectly. Which is what made me want to offer an arrangement in the first place, because you weren't originally in the pool. .  But since you think it's such a good idea, and Naomi is up for it as well, then I bless you with your new courtship. "

My mouth felt dry, "I- uh- that's not what I inten-"

Vree snapped his head in Solhelk's direction at the statement. He obviously tried to keep a professional and unemotional exterior, but his words were heated, grit out, and harsh, and he tried to keep his voice low as if attempting a private conversation, "Ikdmii. Koai proitro mori ek troev morutrodhovmer proami? E tramik koai ē riooktrook ka prouzritro ek ētro! Hovuvri koai troēok koaizri sohaimi tra troev kuzrikloesohtro frudi afr Graza?? Ririi koai zriēkmer trovzriaigrhov u proaēsohakaisoh dmiaik kifrazrii trovekklomer?! Rihovrii ēsoh koaizri morekk! koai uzri riētrovaitro koaizri riētrosoh! trovēsoh riēma kivriri riazriklo! E zrifrisok tra ki riētrov aki afr troevmor!"

I blinked twice. Wow. That was a mouth load. He must be overjoyed. Perhaps he's professing his love for me in his language. . . how touching. In the meantime. . . I began constructing a mental map, retracing my steps and attempting to remember how to get back to the cargo port so I could throw myself into the void. 

"Language, kiproevri. You are in the presence of your courtship." Solhelk said sternly. 

Vree's eyes. .or eye burned with rage, and a vein began to bulge out from the side of his forehead, yet he tried to keep a steady face. He hissed quietly, "Morko daizritrosohhovēpro?! Sohev ēsoh katro afr aizri proiapromii! Koai hovuvri jaikgrok rizriakgrfrimako."

Sohelk, unphased, began smoothing out his robes, picking off invisible lint from it, "You have no place to say that to a Seeker, of all people you should know this."

Vree grit his teeth, and held Solhelk's eyes. He then snapped his eye to mine, the amount of hate in his glare was immense and obvious. His next words were in English and obviously aimed to hurt me. "You will have your way with this courtship," He addressed Solhelk, but looked at me, "but I will never claim her as a commitment. We will never be linked."

Solhelk frowned at that and opened his mouth to say more, but Vree had already slammed the hologram off  and marched out of the room. I would've frowned too, but I had no idea what the hell any of that really meant, so as much as he had intended it to hurt me. . . I ended up being more confused than before. All I had were assumptions and unanswered questions. 

Solhelk gestured to the door as if telling me to go follow him. With nowhere else to go, I followed Vree.

. : * : . 

Isn't Naomi's "alien husband" just a sweetheart? :-) haha. 

xox :* 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6M 75.2K 33
"You don't understand, little female. I am like a God to these people." Elodie is lost. Literally. After a massive adventure leads her to a strange p...
13.1K 904 79
Completed! ***Book One of the Humans Are Weird Trilogy*** #1 in sci-fi romance June 2021 Humans think other humans are weird: my weird obsession, my...
345K 15.6K 49
Kylie survived the brutal destruction of her pack only to discover her cold alpha mate was the one responsible for the brutal slaughter of her family...
929 40 19
Murry was never really into anything... especially aliens or outer space. Since he is nonverbal and, on the spectrum, no one understands him anyway...