Half-Faye

By Pranxtor

Florence was born a half-faye, or a halfling to a faery mother and a human father. Her mother left her when s... More

Prologue: A Half-Faye
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 25
Epilogue
Glossary/Pronunciation Guide

Chapter 24

837 42 2
By Pranxtor

I woke with a silent scream on my lips. I sat bolt upright in bed and couldn't help but drag the covers towards me. My heart was pounding as adrenaline raced through my veins. I breathed heavily, trying to calm myself down.

I had had the most vivid and terrifying nightmare that I could ever recall ever having in my life.

I had been running through the forest again when Verrann had appeared in front of me. He had gone to remove his mask and whatever was behind it had frightened me to death. I couldn't remember anything but the fear that I felt and my scream.

Then I realised what had woken me up, it was almost dawn and the loud palace bells where ringing once again.

I felt panic seep into me, what if Ridel had escaped from the dungeons? Surely they weren't going to kill him?

I jumped to my feet and rushed to my wardrobe, ditching my hoodie and swapping it for a clean white tunic and I placed a belt around my hips over both the shirt and my jeans. It was an odd mix but it felt right. The chain from the necklace tumbled from the hoodie's pocket and I slipped it into the back pocket of my jeans without hesitation. It felt as though it was now a good luck charm.

Without even being asked to do anything I fled from the room, making my way down to the throne room, my nightmare forgotten. I skidded across the perfectly polished tiles and almost tripped on the many rugs that scattered the halls.

I burst into the throne room through a side chamber just as the main doors swung open and to my absolute shock, in came marching, the two elf henchmen by his side.

I hovered in the shadows, not sure if I was meant to be here or not.

My grandfather stood and said with his absolute authority, "What is the meaning of this?"

My grandmother was pale-face and taut lipped.

The trio stopped on a few metres from the dais. Verrann moved forward and spoke with his chilling voice.

"I believe in a fair fight," he said, his hand curling around the hilt of a sword by his side, "So I challenge you," he threw a gauntlet at the king's feet, "for the kingdom, winner takes all."

"Why should I fight you? Guards!" he yelled in fury.

A dozen or so soldiers marched in, pikes raised towards the elves. I had to side-step to avoid getting caught in the tide.

Verrann snigged in a childish way. He flicked both his hands outwards at the oncoming guards and they all flew through the air, crashing against the hard stone walls and crumpling in a heap on the ground.

The Kings lip twitched and his temple throbbed. The queen was gripping the armrest of her chair so ferociously in her fear.

"I want to settle this between us," Verrann took another step forward until he was in arms reach of my grandfather.

I bit my lip and watched nervously. He couldn't, and wouldn't, dare back down from this challenge now. Too much was at stake.

"Very well," he caved in, "We follow the knights code. No magic."

"As you wish your majesty," he said the words with such mockery in his voice that even made me angry.

The colour was starting to drain from my grandfather's face. He didn't look that old but I knew in Avalon you could never trust your eyes.

Verrann bowed and waved his companions aside. They retreated to the back of the room, looking on edge and twitching their fingers over their weapons. I could tell that there was no way the King could win. Any sign that Verrann was losing they would jump in and protect their leader.

Verrann drew his sword, a magnificent blade of bluish steel, a vein of black running down the centre. He backed away slowly, not because he was frightened, but because he was making room for the king. My grandfather drew his sword with the gold lipped blade and a ruby encrusted hilt.

He held it with the grip of a master and I knew that this fight was going to be unlike anything I had ever seen. Ridel was a skilled fighter but this was a whole other level.

Then in unspoken agreement to two ran forward in the middle and there was a deafening screech of metal. I saw sparks fly. Verrann gave a shove and the king stumbled backwards. He was quickly back and balanced, trying to jab the tip of the blade into Verrann's leg.

My nails dug into my arms. My urge was to run and hide and to stop watching, but anticipation kept me rooted to the spot. I was needed here.

Verrann dodged the blow and rolled across the floor, jumping up and striking at the back. My grandfather was still quite agile in his old age and swung around and again metal met metal.

I looked up at my grandmother, her chest was heaving, she must have thought that she was going to lose her husband, part of me agreed with this but I tried to remain in hope.

I was no expert in sword fighting, hell, coming to Avalon had been a real eye-opener, but I could tell that Verrann was extremely deadly just by watching the way he could slide just out of reach of the kings blade and slide back in to deliver a blow.

The exchanged an array of hits, never landing on their opponent, but always missing but a tiny sliver of air. My breath got caught in my throat and my muscles tensed.

I saw beads of sweat forming on the King's forehead beneath his crown. His breathing was harsh and I could tell he was tiring.

He failed to deflect a sharp slice to the shoulder and I saw the blood come forward. I tasted bile in my mouth as my grandfather sunk to the ground, barely deflecting the barrage of swings that Verrann was hurling at him.

Then I thought I must have blinked, or gone crazy. The king leapt to his feet in a massive show of power and he had Verrann on his back, the tip of the sword pressed to his throat beneath the mask. Verrann's sword scuttled across the smooth floor and lay far out of his grip.

I inhaled and held my breath. This was it, he had won. I couldn't believe that I had ever doubted him, he was king after all.

The queen gave an airy sigh of relief and pressed a hand to her breast. Her cheeks were shining with silent tears.

Just when I thought it was all over Verrann shouted, "This battle may be lost but I will always win! Bow down to me old man!"

The kings eyes popped in surprise. I then watched the most horrific scene I thought I would ever see. His muscle flailing the sword dropped from his grip and he was being forced to kneel down. Verran towered over him; I could see him sliding the stone between his fingers. The cheat!

My grandmother gave a stifled cry as Verrann called his sword back to him and raised it above his head, "Avalon and this kingdom will be mine!"

"The elves don't belong here. You won't last long!" My grandfather snarled, he was going down fighting for his kingdom.

The sword began to drop.

"No!" I shouted, my voice echoing off the walls. I don't know what made me do it but so far my instinct had usually been right.

I stepped out of the shadows dramatically. All eyes were now on me.

"You!" Verrann shouted, "I wondered where you had gone. I'll deal with you later."

"No!" I said again. I crossed my arms. I walked forward. I picked up the kings sword from the ground a held it my hand. It was lighter than I thought it would be. I had no idea what was coming over me but I was about to question it. The fate of the future of Avalon now rested on me.

Keeping the sword poised over the king Verrann said, "Bow down to me silly girl."

I felt a slight tingle but it went away almost as soon as it arrived, "You can't control me Verrann. I have human blood."

I smiled even though nothing was funny. It just made me feel more confident.

He gave a twisted snarl from behind his mask, "You are still no match for my magic."

Then he began an intense complex incantation, "Daksruae srek serr."

It felt as though fire was burning through my veins and I wanted to scream. I felt my vision going blurry and my limbs trembled with the pain. I heard the sword clatter to the ground. I was ready to pass out, my knees my caving in beneath me.

Then when I thought all hope was lost I felt something inside of me glow and I fought then pain. With a sigh of relief it felt as though a bubble had burst and I was taking great gasps of air.

"Impossible," Verrann was staring at me.

I took a deep breath and as I straightened up I picked up the sword.

"Bring. It. On." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.3K 1.5K 36
โ› I was afraid, yes. Frightened to the bone and undoubtedly exactly where they wanted me to be. I just stopped showing it. Stopped giving them more r...
1.9K 35 13
" ๐—ก๐—ผ! ๐—ฌ๐—ผ๐˜‚ ๐—น๐—ถ๐˜€๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ป ๐˜๐—ผ ๐—บ๐—ฒ! ๐—˜๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐˜† ๐˜๐—ถ๐—บ๐—ฒ ๐—œ ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐˜€๐—ผ๐—บ๐—ฒ๐—ฏ๐—ผ๐—ฑ๐˜†, ๐—œ ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜€๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—บ! ๐—”๐—ป๐—ฑ ๐˜๐—ผ ๐—ฏ๐—ฒ ๐—ฏ๐—ฟ๐˜‚๐˜๐—ฎ๐—น๐—น๐˜† ๐—ต๏ฟฝ...
95 5 39
Laila Filali has always had a plan for her life. At 22 years old, she's just about to graduate from college and move on to law school. She'll become...
12.7K 462 25
18+ Loosely based on Romeo and Juliet set in a magical fae world. Two powerful families have ruled over the the dark and light fae for thousands of y...