Mon Amour

By WritingInConsequence

Maksim Lukin is a deadly Russian wolf with a need to stay isolated. AnnaLee McBride is an innocent human gir... More

author's note
Dedication
Prologue
Chapter 1: The Coat of the Legend
Chapter 2: Unravelled
Chapter 3: A Whole New World Revealed
Chapter 4: Trapped
Chapter 5: Meeting My Kidnappers
Chapter 6: Finding Him (Part 1)
Chapter 6: Finding Him (part 2)
Chapter 7: Mr. Fix-It
Chapter 8: Moving In (part 1)
Chapter 8: Moving In (part 2)
Chapter 9: Chasing the Past
Chapter 10: Surprises
Thank You!
Chapter 11: Confronted (part 1)
Chapter 11: Confronted (part 2)
Chapter 12: Rescue Me
Chapter 13: Innocent
Chapter 14: Finding Us
Chapter 15: Explain Yourself
Chapter 16: The Lone Wolf
Chapter 17: Out for Blood
Chapter 18: The Catalyst
Chapter 19: True Colors
Chapter 20: With Love Comes Power
Chapter 21: Truth Unraveled
Chapter 22: In Sickness and In Health (Part 1)
Chapter 22: In Sickness and In Health (part 2)
Chapter 24: Unorthodox Cure
Chapter 25: What's Done is Done
Chapter 26: Needing You
Author's Note
Chapter 27: Too Good to be True
Chapter 28: The Ultimate Opportunist
Chapter 29: Feminists Make the First Move...
Chapter 30: ... Alphas Make the Last
Chapter 31: Nettlesome Nik
Chapter 32: A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Chapter 33: I've Seen A Ghost
Chapter 34: The Past Always Catches Up
Chapter 35: Roadie For A Day
Chapter 36: Fantasies Turn into Tragedies
Chapter 37: To Have Never Loved At All
Chapter 38: When Vengeance Meets Kindness
Epilogue
If You Don't Read This, You Will Be Sorry...
After Mon Amour...

Chapter 23: Pleasurable Destruction

26K 1.3K 94
By WritingInConsequence

Chapter 23: Pleasurable Destruction 

Anna peeked inside. Her eyes had to adjust to the dimly lit room. 

She could see a figure sitting on the edge of a bed. Was it Maksim? 

Stepping in more, Anna had to contain a gag. There was a putrid odor wafting through the room. 

It smelled of decaying leaves and stomach acid. 

Fear swelled up in her chest. She wanted to call out for Maksim and demand that he hold her, at least for a little while, but she didnt. 

Anna knew that if she did gain his attention he would throw her out before she could see what was wrong.

Stepping closer to the figure, Anna could tell it was a man. Even though he was about Maksim's height, she knew it couldnt be him. 

This man had pasty skin, nothing like the golden honey that was poured over Maksim.

When she looked closer, Anna could make out each of the  man's vertebrae. He was deathly skinny. 

No this couldn't be Maksim. There was nothing to this man. He was a sickly pile of skin and bones.

Anna was going to leave, until she saw purple ink on the back of the man's neck. 

Moving closer, she noticed how his skin was almost translucent. The man's bloodvessels swam beneath his skin as something dark ran through them. 

Anna could only describe it as death itself. 

Looking back at the purple ink, Anna took in the small symbol.

Why did it seem so familiar to her?

Then it clicked. 

This wasnt just a tattoo. She learned about it in one of her culture classes in college. 

This was a symbol put on a mythical creature marked for death.

At the realization, Anna let out a startled gasp.

Before she could run for the door, the man turned around.

Fire lit up in those amber eye. The only pair of amber eyes she had ever known.

"Maks?" Anna asked, tears swelling up in her eyes. Why was he so unhealthy? He was fine last night. How could he have withered away in such a short amount of time?

"Anna, you need to leave."

"But Maks, that mark. I-I know what it means."

"Leave, NOW!"

"What? No! I just got here and i want to-"

At that moment, A doctor came in followed by the two guards who chased Anna.

" I want her out of here, NOW!" Maksim's harsh tone cut through the air.

"Alpha, it would be best it she stayed. The pain would lessen and you would be more comfortab-"

"The best thing for me, is to stay away from her." Suddenly Maksim started coughing in painful spurts. 

Anna thought he was going to pass out, but he soon calmed himself. 

As he pulled his hand away from his mouth Anna could see a black liquid oozing out of his nose.

"Maks-" Before she could finish, hands went to grab her waist from behind.

"Dont touch me! Maks-" Struggling with the guards, Anna looked up to Maks for help only to see his eyes glazed over. 

He was mind linking them to get her out. He didnt want her here. 

Another set of hands tried to grab her flailing arms. 

"No! I'm not leaving him!" Anna struggled to get free but their grip was strong on her body.

"Stop!- Maksim, don't let them take me!" 

Anna started to cry as she continued to thrash around. She would do anything to get to him. 

"Maks, please look at me!" 

His head stayed down. His face void of emotion.

"I'm sorry. I'll do anything, please. I want to be your mate! I'm sorry for whatever i did wrong. Just tell me and i promise I'll fix it. I can do better. I can be better!" AnnaLee wept, all her emotions coming to the for front.

Despit her attempts of escape, the guards continued to drag her towards the door and Maksim still wouldnt look at her.

"Tell me what i did. I can change it... Why dont you ever want me? I thought you wanted me." Anna couldnt stop the flow of words coming out, just like she couldnt stop the doctor from shutting to door in her face.

As soon as he did the guard put her down. 

She immediately ran to the door, but before she could reach the knob she heard it lock in place.

Frustrated and still crying she pounded on the door.

"Open the door!"

Nothing.

"I-I love you! You idiot, I love you." 

Only silence answered her confession, driving the knife deeper in her heart. 

How could Anna only realize she loves a man once she knows he's destined to die?

Anna slid down the door in exhaustion, her knees tucked into her chest. 

Pressing one hand against the door, even though he just shattered her heart, Anna hoped Maksim would be okay.

Little did she know, on the other side of the door sat Maksim with his hand against hers, deathly frail and just as shattered.

***

A gust of air wrapped around Anna's small form causing her to open her eyes, only to see the door to Maksim's room slam back in place.

She must have fallen asleep, for how long she didn't know.

As she remembered why she was on the ground, Anna began to cry in silence.

Why was she delt such twisted love story?

Maksim pushed her away for so long. Then, he accepts her after she broke whatever spell had him going mad. Now they were back to square one, only this time, It was far worse.

"Anna" came a melancholy voice at her ear. "Lets get you of the floor..."

Before Anna could protest, arms went under her legs and around her back.

"Nik, it was awful. He doesnt want me near him." She spoke as she rested against her friends chest.

"I promise you, he wants you right now more than ever... This morning I talked him into allowing the doctors to speak with you about his condition."

"How did you get him to agree?"

"I opened the door and showed him how you were sleeping. You were even mumbling about him. Nice touch."

"I didnt do it on purpose. So he's the one that slammed the door?"

Nik gave a little nod.

"When can i speak to them?"

"Whenever you're ready."

Anna took a second to straighten her shirt and run her fingers through her curly brown hair.

"Ready"

***

"Can you explain it again please? It can be a bit challenging when you arent a shifter." Anna said, as she wrapped her arms around herself. The first time the doctors explain Maksim's condition, they spoke in technical terms.

"Of course, Luna. Think of it like this... A shifter is a whole person by itself. Once a shifter finds its mate, it feels as if they hold another part of you, and in some ways, they do. As a shifter, you feel a rush to mark and be with your mate to gain the part that they hold back. To become whole again... In Alpha Lukin's case, he essentially has waited too long to mark you and feels as if he isn't whole, making himself sick."

"So, you're saying nothing is actually wrong with him. He is causing the illness himself?" Anna asked, making sure she understood.

"It's a very rare thing among werewolves, but yes. The alpha is his own disease. It stems from a very poor self esteem and stuborness."

Anna sighed, "This is crazy"

"In his mind, his death is the best thing for you"

"What are you doing to treat it?"

After those words left her lips she watched as the doctor looked at Niklaus who was standing behind her.

Bringing his eyes back to her, he spoke. "The Alpha has refused treatment."

This blew Anna's mind. Maksim had the opportunity to get better, yet he refused to take it.

"But there is a treatment for his condition?"

"I have limited experience with this type of situation, but i very well believe there is a cure."

"Well what is it, then?" Anna asked.

"You."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.4M 724K 50
He was powerful. He was terrifying. Said to be cruel and unjust. Terrifyingly possessive. He had the world, but to him she was his world. There was n...
7.2K 169 6
this is based on a fic What if Sirzechs was beyond limits of being a sis-con, to the point where he decided to eliminate Issei for ensuring his siste...
470K 9.7K 39
Book 1 - The Bruised Boxer Series Oreo addicted freshman, Maddison Maurice hated her job at the college gym, it was surprisingly the most quiet and b...
390K 15.2K 26
This book is a sequel to His Miracle Mate. *** **** *** Orla learns the secret of her ancestry, a secret that will make her a target if reveal...