Cinderella's Fangs

By Forcade

[ROMANCE/VAMPIRE/HISTORICAL FICTION] Cinderella isn't new to hardwork and being ill treated by her stepsi... More

2. Accused
3. Into The Forest
4. The Stranger
5. The Sadness
6. Helped

1. Madam Zaraf

26.1K 512 357
By Forcade

The folks were noisy and cheery in the small town. Spices, scented perfume and smell of fresh bread were in the air, leaving everyone's noses craving. Little girls were at the side with their mothers, helping them in their daily business. Nobles, lords and their wives were carried by expensive carriages and if they were to walk, they had servants ready at their wave of a hand. The market was wild and alive. It was the summer season where trading was in full sail and people from all over the world brought their rare and exotic valuables for trading or selling.

Cinderella stood at the side out of the busy streets with a basket full of fruits, vegetables and of other valuable things for her step sisters. She looked up at the clean blue sky and sighed. The summer sun was fierce and not gentle on her skin but yet, beautiful. She used her sleeve to remove a sweat on the side of her neck. How she wished she can welcome a glass of cold water and save her poor dry mouth.

"That girl is always so slow!"

Cinderella turned to follow the unfriendly voice. Stella and Hella stood several feet away from her.

"Would you care to hurry up? We will be late for our singing lessons!" Hella gladly added with her aggravating voice.

"Sorry, Sorry - I'm coming!" Cinderella replied insincerely.

Cinderella picked up the bags she had put down earlier and pushed herself to walk at a faster pace. Cinderella frowned, she didn't like this. Was she suppose to be a royal dog and follow them without any objections? She found herself imaging how it'd be, if they had followed her around instead...they'd be more tired and angry then she, huffing and puffing! She found it amusing but her thoughts were interrupted by someone who had ran into her. She felt her hand loosen on one of the bags she was holding and it had fell to the floor. She caught herself just in time before she was about to share the same fate as the bag. Cinderella looked at the person who had almost made her lose her balance. It looked like a man, but she couldn't see his face because he it was covered by a dark hood. He was picking up the things that had fallen earlier from the bag, and putting them back in. Cinderella leaned down cautiously and did the same.

"I apologize." the hooded figured whispered. His voice was soft and low, but loud enough for Cinderella's ears.

Cinderella replied with an apology as well and thanked him as he handed the last item from the ground to her hand. He stood up and gave her a nod and disappeared into the sea of people. She felt a bit strange and suspicious. Why would someone wear a dark hood in a humid and sunny day as today? The only people who did that were people who had something to hide, or someone who is wanted. But the hooded figure didn't give Cinderella any sense of danger. 'Things aren't all what they seem,' the voice of Madam Zaraf's words repeated in her mind.

Cinderella put the small event at the side and looked around for her stepsisters in blue and red. She walked passed a narrow space across the small alley, and walked upon the small steps and turned to her left. She stopped and quickly found her two stepsisters. Their faces were pressed against the glass of a famous boutique. Cinderella knew their habits by now. They would always stop and eat up the new dresses with their eyes and buy them at glance when they had the chance.

Cinderella walked and stood behind them, it took them a few moments to realize she was there. They greeted her with a displeasing comment on how long it took her to find them. Cinderella brushed aside their greeting and notified the coachmen for leave. She was used to their ill treatment and words since she began to walk and talk. They would take away most of Cinderella's toys and her best dresses with a exchange for broken dolls and old dresses that they have over grown. She would cry a lot as a little child, and stepmother would look at her with a glare and told her to grow up and stop with her nonsense. They treated her fairly cold. She would be punished for something small as not coming on time when they asked while her stepsisters were rarely ever punished. Even the name they gave her was a token of their treatment. Her childhood was harsh but Cinderella tried to make it the best of it by herself. She also learned a way to block her mind from the ill treatment and words they threw at her. She had to be strong.

Her step sisters stepped inside the carriage while Cinderella unloaded the items at her hands with the coachmen's help and stepped inside as well. They were headed to Madam Zaraf, who was a well known noble teacher. She taught young people the art of singing and also very highly educated in many areas of studies, which was rare of for women at their time. She was tall with a very clever face and brains, and also had good hearing despite her age. She was also mysterious in many ways. When she smiled (which was rare), you would come up with many questions. Cinderella was one of few lucky one's who saw her smiles few times.

There were numerous rumors about Madam Zaraf's family...that her husband had died of an illness, and the same tragedy had also had taken her one and only son in his early years. Cinderella always wondered how lonely she must have felt. But she never saw Madam Zaraf shed a tear, at least not in front of her. Madam Zaraf was a strong woman.

Over the hill, Madam Zaraf's house came into view. Her was small, but very homely. It had a small garden planted with her favorite flower; roses. The lush green grass around the house added a scene that made it look like a painting. The house did look very much like a warm home to come into after an evil snow storm or this, blazing sun.

Cinderella and her step sisters got off the carriage. From this point on, they'd have to walk to her house since there were no roads for the carriage to safely take them. Hella and Stella stretched their arms and legs and yawned and looked tiredly at the small house.

"Why does she live in that dirt?" Hella whispered to her sister. She looked at the small lively house in disgust.

"She's poor, that's why." Stella replied.

"But, why does it have to be located near," Hella dropped her voice. "The Cursed Forest? I really hate coming here, and her house is awfully close to it." Hella glanced to peek at the 'Cursed Forest'.

"I know! And my shoes are getting muddy, and I feel very much like a peasant. It's disgusting!" Stella wiggled her feet.

Madam Zaraf's house stood near the the Cursed Forest. The forest itself was eerie, however the small cozy house wasn't too close to it, so it wasn't as frightening. If Madam Zaraf wanted, she could afford to live in the one of the houses near town, but oddly she does not.

"Do you think Madam is a ... witch?" Stella said in a hushed voice.

"What? She..." Hella went on.

Cinderella glanced at the midnight, deep forest. The Cursed Forest was a fake name, the real name was Gravanate Forest, and was ten times more mysterious than Madam Zaraf. The name 'Cursed Forest' had a history to it. Rumors were, they found blood trailing into the forest. Few years ago, they found a sheep drained of it's blood from it's body. Others says if one goes into the forest, that person will never be seen alive again. There are many more stories about the Cursed Forest, but Cinderella saw it as nonsense and a scare for little children to not go there or stay outside after sunset.

They stopped at Madam Zaraf's door. Just when Stella was about to knock, Madam Zaraf opened it.

"You are late!" She barked and glared down at Stella and Hella with her strict green forest eyes.

They bowed. "We are very sorry." Hella respond.

"Truly." Added Stella.

"You see, Cinderella had taken her time at the store..."

"...and slowed us down." Stella finished.

Cinderella looked at the two of them in disbelief. Cinderella was their ticket to avoid trouble, if something went wrong, she would be the one to blame, she should be the one fix and clean up after a mess. They had avoided telling the truth to Madam; they were late is because they were so interested in a dress they saw at 'Victorian Lady' shop. It was the dress they have been talking about for a week. The handmade dress with gold colored fabric and silver stones, very appealing, however Madam Zaraf won't understand their attraction for a dress.

"I'm sure." Madam Zaraf replied to them in a dull voice. She made way to let them in her small home. "Quickly get in and start practicing."

"Yes, Madam Zaraf!" they exhaled and ran in, afraid to meet her eyes.

Madam Zaraf looked at Cinderella and nodded in a greeting. Cinderella replied with a smile, and a bow. Cinderella always had high respect for her. She knew the Madam won't fall for her stepsister's lies. Madam Zaraf is different. Cinderella had grown affectionately with her every time she visited. Their relationship started when Cinderella was small...she had gotten lost and her cries were heard by Madam Zaraf who came to her rescue. Ever since then, she had shown only kindness towards Cinderella. The stepsisters did not know this, nor do Cinderella intend to share the history of her and Madam Zaraf. If they knew, they would forbid Cinderella to come.

Cinderella hastily stepped inside and closed the door behind her. She set aside the basket she was holding and took out Hella's and Stella's book. She handed the books to them and they snatched it without a thanks as always. Her stepsisters sat down ready for their lessons.

"Who gave you permission to sit?" Madam Zaraf spoke coldly.

Hella and Stella looked at each other in confusion and then looked at Madam Zaraf, hoping she would clear it.

"Uh...are these chairs, unclean?" Stella asked.

"Last time, you two were late, I gave a warning. What did I say, girls? Or did you forget, already?"

"No, Madam Zaraf. We did not forget!" Hella said.

"You said if we come in late one more time," Stella's voice lowered. "You would punish us?"

"Correct. You two will stand until the sand on this side reaches to the bottom." Madam Zaraf said and pointed to a hourglass. "You will stand...NOW." She said and turned the hourglass.

They both stood with a "eek". Madam Zaraf motioned them to start from the top of the page and then looked at Cinderella.

"Cinderella, my bedroom needs cleaning." she said.

Cinderella nodded and made her way towards the bedroom. Cinderella wasn't headed there to clean but to read and write, Madam Zaraf just said to do a chore to fool my stepsisters. It was Madam Zaraf who had taught her to read and write since she was young, and now Cinderella can read books after books and learn many new things about the world. This was an escape for her...from her reality.

She held a book closely to her chest and walked slowly to the small window in the bedroom. The green lush field was beautiful and the forest had the same mysterious look as it did before. She glanced up at the blue sky and saw a white bird taking flight, joining another. She sighed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.9K 263 14
Everybody has heard of Cinderella's evil stepmother. But does only one of you know what really happened? How she used to be, whom and what she loves...
2.4K 248 23
Amy had a great life, she had a wonder dad who would do anything for her. Had. Once her dad met her step mother there was a terrible accident that ki...
528K 25.7K 30
A fairy godmother internship is just what Noelle needs to escape her family's pumpkin business . . . until she starts to question her own happily-eve...
47K 2.7K 8
A retelling of Cinderella. For years, Ella has lived under the tyrannical thumb of her stepfamily, wishing for nothing but freedom. One night, a spec...