Sarah's Secret Santa

By Ruechari

It's Christmas Eve and last person she ever would have chosen to spend it with just asked her to dinner. Noel... More

Sarah's Secret Santa

1.7K 124 113
By Ruechari

Christmas Eve and not a creature was stirring, except for Sarah Addison as she worked on closing up shop for the holidays. Everyone else seemed to disappear throughout the day but as she had no place to go later, Sarah didn't feel much like rushing home to her empty apartment.

"It's the hap-happiest season of all," played over the radio. "Bah. Humbug," Sarah said switching off the carol.

"That's not very Christmassy of you?"

Sarah nearly tumbled out of her chair. Her reaction caused a slow, deep, chuckle to rumble behind her. She slowly turned to look up at the very handsome, yet obnoxious face of her arch-nemesis.

"Noel. Didn't think anyone was still hanging around the office."

"Obviously. So, that begs the question... why are you still here, Miss Sarah Addison?"

Sarah adjusted her wire-framed glasses and tucked a haphazard blonde curl behind her ear. "Because I'm all alone and it's Christmas and I don't want to go home and ponder how my life has come to this depressing point," was of course what Sarah thought. What came out was, "Just finishing up some last-minute things before signing off for the holidays."

Noel, made a face like he somehow knew there was more to the story but then shrugged as if he could care less. "Okay, if that's how you want to play it."

"What's that suppose to mean?" Sarah asked, annoyed. 

Ever since Noel came to Global Graphics he has been a thorn in her side. Sarah gave up everything to move out west, to take this job in the hopes of advancing her career and in a year she had done just that, spending every waking moment on her job. Sure she had no social life, no time to make friends or even think of a relationship but hey, she became the agency's Golden Child. There wasn't a project she touched that didn't become an instant success. So, why her boss chose to bring Noel on was beyond her.

"Come on, Sarah. It's Christmas Eve. Can't you take a break from being little miss perfect? It's just one night. Try letting your hair down. Have a little fun."

His comment bristled her. "I'm not trying to be perfect. I just want to..."

"Blah, Blah, Blahbiddie, Blah. Hey there, Clueless. Not trying to get into a debate about your work ethic, just trying to see if you're free for some dinner maybe?"

Sarah shook her head in confusion. "What? Dinner? With me?"

Noel chuckled that deep throaty laugh again. Looking around he asked, "You see someone else around here I may be talking to?"

Sarah scoffed, "What's the catch?"

"Seriously?" Noel asked.

"No, really," Sarah pressed, "you hate me, so why would you want to spend a night eating together."

Noel smiled. "I think you have that backward. You hate me, but I've never been one to be put off by a challenge."

"I still don't get it." 

Sarah closed her laptop and turned away to slip it into her backpack. Planning on taking it home to get some work done over the holiday. Noel swiveled her chair back so he could look at her.

He had her pinned with his hands on her armrests. She had no place to go. He leaned in to look her in the eye. His brown eyes were so dark Sarah thought she could lose herself in them. Then a strange thing happened. Suddenly all the smugness went away and what Sarah saw startled her. He let his guard down and somehow became even more attractive, damn him.

His light brown hair hung slightly in his eyes as he leaned in even closer, and for one insane moment, she thought he might kiss her. The fact that she felt excited about the idea deeply disturbed her. He stared at her for a long, hard moment, and then abruptly stood up, sending her chair backward, bumping her desk.

"Okay, I can see you are not one to be toyed with. So, you want the truth of it. Here it goes. I am not from around here. It is Christmas Eve and I have only lived here for about a month. I haven't had much opportunity to make friends. Minnesota, which is my home, is miles and miles away and I thought for one crazy moment that you might possibly understand. May even be feeling a little lonely too and perhaps not objectionable to dinner, even if said dinner was with me. Perhaps, I misjudged?"

Wow. Noel's brutal honesty left Sarah speechless.

Noel shook his head frustrated. "Never mind. Merry Christmas, Sarah." As he said this he pulled a small box out of his pocket and tossed it across her desk.

Sarah looked down at the beautifully wrapped box, confused. Noel laughed without humor. "I picked your name for Secret Santa. When all the gifts were exchanged, and you didn't receive yours I thought perhaps I might get you to seek me out. What a laugh, right? Not only didn't you seek me out, I seriously doubt you were even aware you didn't get a gift. Am I right?"

Sarah ran the soft ribbon bow through her fingertips. She shook her head no. She didn't trust herself to speak at that moment. For some reason, getting a gift on Christmas Eve hit a cord that made her feel very homesick but she refused to cry, especially in front of Noel.

"No, you did notice. Or no, I'm right?"

Sarah took a deep breath. "You are right. I didn't notice. I'm sorry. You are right about that and about the other thing too."

Surprised by this breakthrough, Noel asked, "What other things, too?"

Sarah sighed, "I am all alone this Christmas. I moved out here nearly a year ago from the east coast and well I haven't had much time...no that's not true. I haven't tried to make new friends and so yeah I'm here because I'm not looking forward to going home and being alone on Christmas.

Noel smiled a real genuine smile. Not the cocky, smug smile she had become accustomed to. Sarah suddenly felt shy under his gaze. He held out his hand to her. 

"Dinner?"

Sarah smiled as she took his hand. "Why not."

"Not exactly the enthusiastic response one would hope for but I'll take it," Noel said with a grin. "Come on, let's get out of here."

Sarah quickly placed the box in her backpack and turned out her light. Christmas fell on a Friday this year so she wouldn't need to return to work for three whole days. Sarah had no idea how she would occupy her time but at least now she had somewhere to go for dinner.

It took some time to find the right place to eat. Noel thought, Steak, BBQ, and Sarah thought sushi and salad. So, they ended up at the Starlight Diner that was a few blocks from work.

"Are you sure this is okay?" Sarah asked, once their burgers had arrived.

"When I had asked you to dinner I had intended to take you someplace more upscale but I wouldn't want you to think this was a date, and you really can't go wrong with a burger. So, yeah. It's all good."

"A date," Sarah giggled while dunking her straw in her soda, "as if."

Noel tilted his head to look at her in that thoughtful way he had. It always unnerved her. She didn't care for people trying to "figure her out."

"Would you stop!"

"Stop, what?" Noel asked innocently.

"That," she said taking a fry and drawing an imaginary circle around Noel's face.

Noel laughed. "You want me to stop... looking at you? That's a bit hard, Sarah as you are sitting there across from me and well, let's face facts, you are kinda cute."

Sarah nearly choked on her French fry. "Oh please. We are out to dinner. Flattery is not needed. It's really not a date remember."

"How do you do it?"

"Do what?" Sarah asked taking a bite of her burger.

"How does a woman with your artistic eye for detail and imagination have such a limited view of the world around her? Despite your sarcasm, you are indeed cute, Miss Sarah Addison. I would dare and go out on a limb and say beautiful really and you don't have to take my word on it. There are at least three men at work secretly in love with you who would jump at the chance to prove it to you."

Sarah openly laughed at this. "Get the hell out of here. You just confirmed what I already knew about you. You...are insane."

"I noticed you didn't ask me who? Is that because you could care less for these poor fools? Or perhaps you're just used to men falling all over you that you treat the situation with so little thought."

"YEAH... insane, and I am not about to patronize your delusional ideas."

"Ouch!" Noel said, covering his heart.

Sarah laughed again. He loved her laugh. The way it lit up her beautiful blue eyes and brought a rosy hue to her cheeks. He really couldn't believe she didn't know how beautiful she was. Then another thought crept in. 

"Or maybe it is because someone has stolen your heart already and so you no longer look for other options?"

"Maybe?" Sarah said, nonchalantly taking another bite of the burger.

This took Noel by surprise. Was she toying with him, or could there be someone back home? Someone near and dear? Someone who kept her from considering anyone at work?

"So, what's his name?" Noel asked.

"Noel. My life. My business. Okay?"

"Just trying to get to know a fellow coworker is all."

"Yeah, right. So, you said you're from Minnesota?"

She wanted to change the subject, which left a nagging doubt in Noel's mind about the possible boyfriend. Damn, her. Why did she have to go and make things more complicated?

"I knew you were interested in me," he taunted.

"Don't let it go to your head. Just trying to make conversation, as I am almost done eating and you haven't even started yet."

Noel looked down at his plate and stole a fry. "Have someplace to go?"

"You know I don't."

"Then what's the rush?"

Sarah just shrugged.

Noel relented giving her a hard time. "Yes, Northern Minnesota. Which is why I am particularly homesick. In Cali, you are not going to see a white Christmas."

Sarah too missed the change of seasons. Fall and Winter being two of her favorites. Why had she moved to California again? 

"Does it usually snow at Christmas?"

"Sometimes before, sometimes on. I remember one year when I was a kid we got a crazy twenty feet of snow. It was a whopping nine degrees outside so there was no going out for sledding or snowball fights and such."

"I love the snow," Sarah said wistfully, to which Noel just smiled at her. It was a secret smile like he knew something she did not.

"Do you have a big family?" Sarah asked, wanting to keep the topics away from herself.

"Nine of us in total," Noel said while chomping on his burger.

"Nine? Wow."

"Yeah, that's the usual response when I say that."

"What number are you?" Sarah asked.

"Nine."

"The youngest, that explains a lot," Sarah said teasingly.

"Let me guess," Noel said looking at her in that accessing way again, "only child."

Sarah grimaced. "Yes."

"Yeah, that explains a lot," Noel teased back which made Sarah laugh again.

Okay, she deserved that one. It surprised Sarah just how much she was enjoying being out with Noel. She never felt at ease around people especially men. She hated to admit he wasn't at all the way she had built him up in her mind. Perhaps she was just being hard on him because she worried he might get the job she has been working so hard for, making this year of sacrifice pointless.

"That's a face," Noel said, wondering at her sudden change in mood.

"Sorry, just missing home I guess."

"Uh-huh," Noel said, but it didn't sound as if he truly believed her.

"Dessert?" she interjected.

"Really?"

"Why not?" Sarah asked and then realized maybe Noel wasn't enjoying his time with her as much as she was with him, "Unless you would rather call it a night?"

He just grinned. "Dessert sounds great. Share a brownie sundae?"

"Share? Watching your girlish figure?" Sarah asked giggling.

"Now that just hurts on several levels." And now she was openly laughing at him and he loved every minute of it.

Sarah relished every bite of brownie sundae being a favorite of hers. Noel just sat and watched her. Sarah was a complete anomaly to him. At work, Sarah's art amazed him. Her ideas were inspiring. Her drive was incomparable to anyone he'd met so far on the team. He felt drawn to her the moment he met her in Nick's office. He knew better than to get involved with someone at work but there seemed no way out, he had to try.

The check came and Noel nearly groaned out loud. How to stall his time with her? He pulled out his credit card.

Sarah shook her head and pushed the card back at him. "Your credit is no good here," she said, before digging out her wallet from her backpack.

"Not gonna happen. My Mama would have my head on a platter if she knew I let a girl pay for my dinner."

Sarah laughed at the idea. "Well do you have cash on you? Because this place only takes cash."

"You set me up," Noel said shocked.

"I've just been around longer and love their sundaes. Just be grateful this isn't a date or then you'd really be in trouble with Mama."

Noel just hung his head in shame.

"Oh, poor baby," Sarah goaded. "If it means that much to you, you can buy me something at one of those fancy coffee places on the way home."

"My home or yours?" he said with a delightfully wicked grin.

Thoroughly embarrassed by her misspoken words, Sarah recovered with, "You're right. I prefer beheading."

Noel ran his fingers and palm over his neck. "I'll just follow you then."

"That's a good boy," Sarah said, the smile evident in her voice as she was walking away from him when she said it.

They found a fancy coffee shop a few blocks from the diner. Laughing all the way at the absurdity of Christmas lit palm trees, sandy snowmen, and surfing Santa Clauses.

"I really miss home this time of year," Sarah said, enjoying her Chi Tea Latte. "My mom really knew how to make Christmas special. She loved this time of year. Not just Christmas but the whole season, you know?"

Noel couldn't believe his good fortune. He didn't know what happened between this morning and dinner but Sarah seemed a completely different person and finally began to open up and share.

"Just you and your Mom then?"

"Yeah," Sarah said with a shrug, "Dad was never quite...in the picture. Left when I was really young. I couldn't even tell you what he looked like if you asked."

"Sorry." For Noel, it seemed the appropriate thing to say.

Sarah just chuckled. "For what, you didn't do anything. It was his choice and a rather dumb one in my opinion as my Mom and I are pretty terrific girls. So, his loss. My mom is my hero. She really had to struggle to keep us afloat sometimes but she never gave up. She had been so proud when I got my scholarship to art school. I miss her so much. It's my plan as soon as I get the promotion at work I'll be making enough to get my Mom out here with me. She deserves someone taking care of her for a change."

Sarah smiled just thinking of her and Mom together again. When her eyes met Noel's he had a strange expression, one she couldn't place. "You okay?" she asked, thinking perhaps she was talking too much, shared too much.

Noel grinned at her, "Yeah fine." But his smile didn't quite meet his eyes and she wondered.

"Well," looking at her phone, "It's nearly Christmas." Flashing him her screen that showed it was nearly eleven. "Guess we had best call it a night. If we aren't in bed by midnight Santa may not come."

"May I see you home?" Noel asked, it was late and he didn't like the idea of her traveling alone.

Sarah smiled, "Your Mama really did raise you right. Sure why not?"

That made Noel laugh, that deep throaty laugh, Sarah found she really enjoyed the sound of.

Sarah didn't live very far from work, the diner, and the coffee house. When Noel came to the steps of her apartment he realized she was taking him for a tour of her new neighborhood. Most likely choosing all her favorite places on purpose to be sure the night went well. Secretly she had been orchestrating the entire evening without even realizing she was doing it.

Sarah stopped on the bottom stair and turned to face him. Being on the step brought them closer to the same height and she could look him in the eye when she said, "Thank you for tonight. I had fun."

Noel smiled. "You're welcome. I only wish you could say that with a little less surprise in your voice."

Sarah giggled. "Can you really blame me?"

"I guess not," Noel admitted.

Sarah ran up the last couple of stairs and opened her door.

"Sarah," Noel called to her before she could disappear. "It's Christmas," he said pointing to his watch.

Sarah smiled. "Merry Christmas, Noel."

"Thank you," Noel said, "but you forgot something."

Confused Sarah shrugged and Noel jogged up the steps to stand before her. "Your present. It's Christmas. Am I at least going to get see you open it?"

"Oh," Sarah said sheepishly as she had forgotten all about the gift again. "Right, um." She dug around in her bag but was having trouble locating the small package in her backpack. "I know it's in here somewhere. Look why don't you come in to wait while I get a proper look."

"Okay?" Noel never thought he could be this fortunate.

Sarah walked through a small foyer and turned to the right. Noel shut the door behind them. She used her foot to hit a button on a power strip and her living space suddenly turned into a winter wonderland.

"Wow," Noel exhaled. 

He couldn't believe how she had decorated her apartment. Her tree, dressed all in white lights, glittered and shimmered off the beautiful glass ornaments of icicles, snowflakes, and shining stars. Garland hung on the rails of the staircase leading up to her loft bed, decorated with hand-cut snowflakes doused in glitter. All sparkling in the glow of the star string lights she tacked up around the perimeter of the room. A collection of stuffed snowmen and a single Santa bear adorned the back of her sofa. Everything was light and soft and delicate just like her.

"Found it!" Sarah exclaimed, coming out of her kitchen with the package in hand.

"Sarah, this is...this is amazing," Noel said, in astonishment.

Sarah felt a little shy. She didn't expect anyone to see her masterpiece. She just missed and loved the snow so much that she thought she would try and create it artistically to make it feel more like home.

Sarah glowed in the soft light, her blond curls and blue eyes shimmered and shinned. She could be mistaken for a Christmas Angel. She stood before him and held the small package between them. 

"Open it," Noel urged.

Sarah tugged on the red silk ribbon and gingerly lifted the lid. "Oh, Noel. It's beautiful," she gasped holding up a snowflake, set in a crystal heart, dangling from a silver chain.

"It's the real thing. Perfectly preserved. No two are alike. It's one of kind just like you."

Tears stung Sarah's eyes. "How did you...? What made you...?"

"I have a confession to make. I didn't pick your name for Secret Santa. I actually hunted your name down which is how I found out about your other admirers. Turns out Dana in accounting had it and as she had no idea what to get you, she jumped at the chance to exchange names."

"You did all this for me? Why?"

"I know you may find this hard to believe, but from the moment I met you, I knew I wanted to get to know you. I just didn't know how to get through to you. The more I tried, the more you pushed me away, the more I felt determined to break down that wall you were building. I had seen you cutting out snowflakes on your breaks and lunches. Now I know where they all ended up... so I got you this," he said, holding onto the heart dangling between them.

"I love it. It's beautiful, but I can't accept it," Sarah said letting go of the chain.

"It's just a gift, Sarah," he said grabbing her hand, he opened her fingers and placed the necklace in her palm, closing her fingers around it.

Sarah shook her head. "I can't. You don't understand."

"There is someone else," Noel said. She had mentioned the possibility over dinner.

Sarah took the easy way out by not saying anything. Leaving her silence to be taken for affirmation of his statement.

Noel couldn't figure why this information hurt so much. They weren't in a relationship. Hell, they hardly had an acquaintanceship. Still, it stung.

Sarah tried handing him back the necklace. Noel just shook his head. "Keep it. It...belongs to you."

He smiled a sad sort of smile and then said, "Merry Christmas, Sarah." And with that left her standing there, alone on Christmas.

It was a miserable Christmas Day. Sarah couldn't even bring herself to light up her lights or listen to a carol. There was only one person she wanted to talk to.

"Hi, Mom."

"Hey, baby girl. Merry Christmas, Sweetheart! I'm so glad you called. I miss you so much."

"I miss you too," Sarah had a hard time saying this without crying.

"Sarah, what's wrong sweetie?"

"Oh, Mom I screwed up. I screwed up big time."

"I'm sure whatever it is, it's not as bad as you think," her mom encouraged.

"There's this guy at work. A new hire. Just got there last month. I hated him the moment Nick introduced me to him. I don't know why. I just felt threatened."

"Did he do something to you?" her mom asked concerned.

"Yes, but not in the way that your thinking. He got me this necklace for Christmas..."

"Oh, sweetie!" Sarah could almost feel her mom's smile over the phone and began to feel foolish.

"He's good, Mom. Really good at his job. He's my only competition for the promotion in that place. I've worked so hard, and then he does something so out of the ordinary, so beautifully romantic, something you'd read in a book, you know. I just don't know what to do."

"You're afraid to get involved with someone from work? Afraid it will screw up your chances of advancement?"

"Yeah, that and what if we did get together and he got the promotion over me or it didn't go well. I couldn't possibly stay there with an ex-boyfriend hanging around. Mom, it's so screwed up and that's not even the half of it."

"There's more?" Sarah's mom thought Sarah really had enough problems to solve.

"I may have led him to believe there's someone else."

"Oh, Sarah."

"I know. I didn't mean for it to happen. It's just, he suggested it, and well I took the cowards way out and let him believe it was true by not denying it."

"Honey, do you like him?"

Sarah sighed. It was the same question that kept her from sleeping all night. Hearing it come from her mom she had to admit, "Yeah, Mom. A lot. If we didn't work together, I would have jumped at the chance to be with this guy."

"Then you have your answer."

"Mom, it's not that easy."

"Isn't it? Honey, it's been my lot in life to know one thing and one thing for certain. Jobs come and go, but a chance at love can come but once in a lifetime."

"I wish I could hug you right now," Sarah said feeling miserable. "I love you, Mom."

"And I you sweetie. So, what's it going to be?"

"I'm going to get my man," Sarah said, although not feeling as brave as her statement sounded.

"That's my girl."

Sarah spent the rest of Christmas trying to figure out just how she could fix this. She was stuck until Monday. She didn't know Noel's number, where he lived, nothing. It became the longest weekend of her life but as she opened her eyes Monday morning she leaped out of bed and into action, she had a plan.

Noel sat in his office staring blankly at his screen. This sucked. Any minute now she would walk through the doors and to her office not far from his and begin her day. So, close yet so far away. His phone rang. It was Nick. He needed to see him in his office.

Sarah came to work dressed with care. She left her blonde hair down and softly curled. She wore a white cashmere sweater dotted with small white pearls and a black a-line skirt and boots. It took her forever to decide what to wear. So long in fact she was almost late for work for the first time this year.

When she came in she put her backpack down and marched herself straight to Noel's office. He wasn't there. In fact, the whole office was pretty quiet. Where was everyone?

Upon further inspection, she found everyone gathered in the conference room for what looked like an impromptu meeting.

"Sarah. Good, you're here," Nick said. "We can get started."

Noel's stomach dropped when saw her. Sarah dressed up today. At first, he thought it was to give her confidence but then he saw it. The perfect snowflake captured in a heart dangling beautifully about her neck. "Oh God, not now."

"As we approach the New Year there are going to be some exciting changes around here," Nick began. "For the last month, you all have been getting to know Noel here. And it is my great pleasure to announce that he is taking over as the new owner of Global Graphics. For a long time now I've been seeking an adequate replacement. Someone I knew I could trust to keep this place running as I have so I could retire."

"Now coupled with my unexpected find of our "Golden Girl" Sarah, I have no doubt Global Graphics is in good hands and going forward will be a tremendous success. So thank you all for your hard work and best of luck in your future, and I hope you all have a happy and prosperous New Year."

Applause erupted around the conference room but Noel only had eyes for Sarah. Her smile, perfectly plastered into place, she too joined in the clapping but he knew better. Nick's timing sucked. He had to talk to her.

Everyone it seemed took a turn talking to Noel about his new position and then one by one the conference room emptied until she stood before him.

"Sarah, I..."

She held up her hand to silence his words. "Owner?"

Noel knew only the truth would do. 

"I asked Nick not to say anything. I wanted a chance to get to know the staff before they knew I would be the new boss. Earn their trust. Remove the panic usually caused by these situations."

Sarah bit her bottom lip and nodded.

"You knew what a promotion meant to me. When I took this job Nick mentioned possibly needing a second in command. Retirement never came up. Now you're my boss? How do I work with that?"

"Just because I'm your boss doesn't mean we can't be together? I don't want to lose you, especially not now when there's a chance we may come to really mean something to one another," Noel said but knew it sounded foolish.

"I've worked too hard to build a reputation for myself here. I won't be reduced to the girl who's sleeping with the boss. Heaven forbid should I get the promotion I worked so hard for then the rumors would really fly," Sarah said, the very idea making her cringe.

"Now what?" Nick asked, desperate for an answer he did not have.

"Now, I give you my resignation."

"Sarah, please?"

"A very wise woman told me that jobs come and go but a chance at love may come but once in a lifetime. My reputation will precede me. I can find another job, but I doubt I will find another you, not in my lifetime. I am not willing to take that chance, are you?"

Noel felt his eyes sting with tears. Would it be unmanly if he cried? Instead, he grabbed Sarah and pulled her into his embrace. He claimed her with his lips. His kiss melting away any lingering doubts she may have had about her decision.

When he took a step back from her his expression was serious. "I have to be honest with you. I want to see you on a more frequent basis, and I want exclusive rights, Sarah. I don't like to share."

"Done, so long as I also get exclusive rights. And so you know, there's only been you, there was never anyone else. I was just afraid to say."

Noel kissed her again and smiled. "Santa does exist. Best Christmas gift ever."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.2K 1.5K 19
BOOK THREE IN THE MOON TRILOGY ☆~☆~☆ For Lena, life was already hard as an outcast with her unusually dynamic skin colour and queer black eyes. Yet w...
1.1M 27.2K 45
When young Diovanna is framed for something she didn't do and is sent off to a "boarding school" she feels abandoned and betrayed. But one thing was...
1.7M 112K 200
**Story is gonna be slow paced. Read only if you have patience. 🔥** Isha Sharma married a driver whom she had just met. She was taking a huge risk...
412K 4.6K 19
A girl with a broken past and a dark secret. A boy with a twisted future and no second chances. When they meet, it just might cost them their souls...