If Only...

Galing kay Jessica_Ronald

There I was, out of breath, on top of a tree in the woods in the middle of the night on my 18th birthday, scr... Higit pa

PROLOGUE
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
THAT'S THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLES
CRYING OVER SPILT MILK
ANOTHER BITE OF THE CHERRY
THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD
WALKING ON EGG SHELLS
CUP OF TEA
EATING MY HEART OUT
BITTER PILL TO SWALLOW
EATING HUMBLE PIE
EGGING HIM ON
BEARING FRUIT
AN ACQUIRED TASTE
BAD EGG
TAKING IT WITH A PINCH OF SALT
A BOWL OF CHERRIES
HOT POTATO
CUTTING THE MUSTARD
HAVING MY CAKE AND EATING IT TOO
HARD NUT TO CRACK
CHEWING THE FAT
APPLE OF HIS EYE
A FINE KETTLE OF FISH
BREAD AND BUTTER
APPLES AND ORANGES
FEAST AND FAMINE
SPICING IT UP
EGG ON MY FACE
NOT KNOWING BEANS
HARD NUT TO CRACK
HAVING BIGGER FISH TO FRY
IT ALL ENDS WITH BISCUITS AND WINE
NO SUCH THING AS A FREE LUNCH
BUTTER WOULDN'T MELT IN MY MOUTH?
STICKING TO MY RIBS
HAVING PROSCIUTTO OVER MY EYES
TWO PEAS IN A POD
HAVING PROSCIUTTO OVER HIS EYES
NOT FOR ALL THE TEA IN CHINA
CHERRY ON TOP
IN APPLE PIE ORDER
FULL OF BEANS
SALT OF THE EARTH
CREAM OF THE CROP
FORBIDDEN FRUIT
WORTH MY SALT
HALF BAKED
SOUR AS VINEGAR
SUGARCOATING IT
PIECE OF CAKE
WARM AS TOAST
PIE IN THE SKY
FOR PEANUTS
IN A NUTSHELL
GOING BANANAS
AS SLOW AS MOLASSES IN JANUARY
SOUPED UP
BUSY AS POPCORN ON A SKILLET
BITING OFF MORE THAN I CAN CHEW
SPILLING THE BEANS
CALLING BREAD BREAD AND WINE WINE
SMOOTH AS OIL
COOL AS A CUCUMBER
EATING MY HEART OUT
EATING OUT OF MY HANDS
DROP LIKE A HOT POTATO
COOKING HIS GOOSE
RIGID AS SALTED COD
THE END OF BEANS
BITTER AS CHICORY
HALF A LOAF IS BETTER THAN NONE
HAVING BREAD ON THE BOARD
CHICKEN RIBS
THE WHOLE ENCHILADA
COMING TO THE FRUIT
POLENTA EATER
TELLING SALADS
WINTER MELON AND BEAN CURD
EPILOGUE
THANK YOU

IT'S NOT TART

162 9 5
Galing kay Jessica_Ronald

No.

It feels like I'm falling into one of those endless pits, screaming my throat out as I do. But no one will hear me. The beeps quicken, but where once used to be my heart, now stands a wide, gaping hole.

The entirety of my life is flung through that hole as harmful daggers, only to hit the floor in the end.

Is this is where it all ends?

No!

No, no, no!

I glance up to Valerie again, just ignoring the words she had just uttered though they ring loud and clear in my ears. I wished them to be untrue.

They have to be untrue!

No, no, no. This can't end like this. No, please, things were just starting to look up. No, please . . .

I can still wake up. Oh, God, please let me wake up. . .

I cover my ears with my palms when Valerie starts to discuss treatment options, closing my eyes tightly and trying to wake up.

Please, God. . . please, no . . .

"Alex." I hear it distantly along with the distress, and I want it to be his voice waking me from my sleep. I want him to wish me a good morning. I want to hear him say how beautiful I looked just woken up. I want him to promise me that things'll work out even when we're both fired. I want him to tell me he loves me until our very last breath . . .

"Alex." It strains again, and a cold and clammy hand prying my hands away from my face. Danny still won't look up.

No, no, no. All of this is about to change. I'm going to wake up.

"I'm so sorry, Alex." Valerie chokes, squeezing my hands again. I must've heard her wrong. No, this can't be happening. "But we really need to talk about what we need to do next."

You don't do anything next!

I'm supposed to go home and spend the rest of my life that's just waiting for me. . .

Tears that are no longer in my control trickle down my numb face, each tear for each false hope. Who was I to think that nothing would change? That everything was just going to keep getting better because I had surpassed what I thought to be the most difficult phase. But now? . . .

I shake my head, driving the thoughts out too. No, it can't be true.

Could it?

"There's no stage five?"

A guttural groan sounds from my right, and I take his hand in mine. I cannot tell if that helps in any way.

"I'm sorry."

"But . . ." I suck in a breath, and realize that I've been hyperventilating. All those instances, all those movies I've watched late into the night with Stella flash before my eyes. I never for the life of me expected that to happen to me. Is this really happening to me?

I look around, and the movements feel fluidic and slow. Almost like it's a dream . . .

But then I glace down at the numerous tubes and fluids entering and exiting me, and that explains it.

"But . . . how did it just happen out of nowhere--"

"You've had it forever, Alex. That's the problem with this type of . . . cancer. It's hard to diagnose."

"Maybe you've got it wrong now."

She shakes her head, swallowing. This is real. This is very much real.

My back collides with the bed. Only one question lingers in my head.

Why?

Wasn't it enough that I had gone through hell once before? Wasn't it enough that I had put everyone I loved through hell?

"I wish I did, Alex."

"And . . ." Dr. Lloyd, who had been quiet up until now; and the only one seemingly unaffected by the tension in the room speaks up. "I wish I could tell you the treatment is going to work, Mrs. Moore."

The beeps jump, and then quicken.

No. This can't be happening.

"I just don't want to give you false hope."

"But there is hope! We'll know once we start chemo, Alex." Valerie adds, but it doesn't feel whole.

"But you can't fix me, can you?" I breathe, staring at the buttons on her coat. This was starting to sound like the clichéd climax to that movie. That I would be met with a disastrous fate only to have it turned around before the credits rolled.

But it didn't look like this would turn out that way. All I could see was the black before it all ended.

The beeps race.

It was all over. All this time, all these years, only to lead to this. A bottomless pit. An endless ocean. A nearing end. . .

No, please God. . .

"Alex, calm down." Valerie grips my hands, and she starts rubbing them gently. It might have offered me comfort had I let it. I was cold and shaking before I knew it. I had tears running down my face before I could sense it.

"You-you have to fix me, Val." I choke. The breaths were coming faster, but the pain spared no time. It came in all its bitterness.

"We'll do everything we can, Alex. I promise you." She stresses, looking straight into my eyes. But those green orbs shaken with agony don't house any reassurance.

I break again, crumbling to the space in between my knees. It hurts so much, but I can't tell if it is physical or all in my head. I wish all of this were all in my head. Why couldn't it just be food poisoning or a stomach ulcer? Why that?

Why me? . . .

"Crying won't change anything."

I stop sobbing with a gasp, and my head reflexively lifts to Dr. Lloyd. But I know, no matter how much it was matted and strained, I'd know that voice anywhere.

It was Danny who had just said it.

I stare at him standing still by my right, and feel that last speck of hope that we all know is buried deep down somewhere but refuses to surface, vapourize.

"What he means, Alex--"

"I meant exactly what I said, Valerie." He murmurs, and then lifts up to meet her gaze. Not mine. "We can't do anything now but wait for the result."

What result?

Did he just mean--

I gasp. No, he couldn't. He just couldn't!

But there I was thinking last night that nothing would go wrong. Who's to say I'm not wrong today too? Last night feels decades ago. And the bridge from then to today is broken beyond repair. There is no turning back now.

No, no, no!

I want to stop thinking. I want to be in his arms. I want him to lie to me. Blinking the tears out of my eyes, I reach my arms toward him desperately, despite what he's just said. But I know I must have mistaken it. Danny would never hurt me.

Would he?

I wait with my arms raised, beckoning to him one last time.

He moves away.

The room starts to spin, and my stomach flops. I slouch back into the bed with my head weighing a hundred tons.

"We'll give you some privacy." Valerie gushes, and motions to Dr. Lloyd before she ushers both of them out, closing the door behind them.

I half-expect Danny to envelop me in his arms the minute we're alone, and kissing me until it stops hurting, telling me loves me until it hurts.

But the other half wins.

He stands there perfectly rested, and if it weren't for his fingers fiddling with the edge of the blanket, I would have believed that he isn't breathing.

My stomach flips again at that thought, but I can do nothing go wade it away. That fuel I required had burned out.

And the fire that stands right before me; it gutters.

"Why won't you look at me?" There is nothing left in my voice that reminds me of myself anymore. I'm a stranger to my own.

Danny's knuckles turn whiter, but he won't breathe a word. My mind begins to draw conclusions; which shoot daggers again, but I have no shield to fight them. I'm bare and done with.

"I'm . . . dying and you won't even look at me." My own words sting, but they still sound improbable and unfamiliar. Not five minutes ago; my entire world had turned upside down. Everything had come and gone in a flash. Everything I had ever seen, felt and thought . . . only to come to cease now.

"Oh, my God. Rosie . . ." That's when the gravity of the situation comes crashing down. I hear my desperate attempt at breathing as a cacophony of gasps, which draw out the tears again.

No.

"Sh . . . We didn't tell her anything." His voice closes, but it won't comfort me anymore. I hear him say that I'm just taking things too far before we know anything about my illness, but it doesn't work. I could feel the negativity radiating off of him.

And for the first time in my life, it doesn't help when Danny pulls me into his arms. I feel suffocated.

"This is a bad dream . . . Tell me this is a bad dream." I choke, crying into his shoulder.

"I'm sorry, baby." He won't even hold me properly.

"Tell me it's going to be okay, Danny! . . ." My voice trembles at such a rate that I can't get the endings of the words out. I'm still shaking, in his arms, but it won't get any warmer. It won't get any better.

"I promised you I wouldn't lie to you."

"Please . . . tell me I won't die. I-I don't wanna die, Danny."

He lets out an agonizing groan, but he won't deny it. I pull away from him, and sit back on my heels.

"Tell me you won't lose me." Some form of control finds its way into my voice. He still won't speak. And just that silence puts the miles in between us again.

"You won't lose me, baby. I'm here." He swallows, reaching his hands out again. I sob, letting him hold me. That's not what I meant.

"I wanna see Rosie." His form tenses.

"In time."

"I don't know how much time I have left!" The more I try to hold back the tears, the more they come flowing out again. They were like the thoughts that raided my head.

Him, Rosie. . . how much longer do I have before I . .

"You're right." Danny whispers, his hold on me tightening for just a second. He then pulls away and takes a step back. I think he's going to fetch Rosie, but he does something I wouldn't have begun to expect, in the space and time we are in.

Danny takes in a deep breath, and then he gets down on one knee.

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

1.1K 70 14
"You can't leave me like this Abbigale! You'll never get rid of me. I'll be there every day, watching you. I know I'll always be on your mind" I jump...
402 23 21
I tightened my Ponytail, brought the sleeves of my hoodie up to my palms, and here I went, to utilize this energy ice cream had given me. "Is it le...
4.3K 150 53
He caught my wrist and pulled me down from the boat. "Chri..sty.... it hurts!!" I said breaking in middle. My sound and whole body was shaking becaus...
222K 12.6K 54
I wince when my bangles dig into my skin,forcing a smile,hoping my boredom didn't show in my movements. I inwardly roll my eyes when my father makes...