HASHTAG #Wattys2016

By midnight_misfit

[PUBLISHED: DECEMBER 4, 2015] Kayla Clemons has always been anti-social media, but when she gets a glimpse of... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Sorry
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Epilogue

Chapter 2

706 57 19
By midnight_misfit

I sank in my bed after school, and came to the realization of what my world was turning into. What was brainwashing my friends and family into loving this new world of social networking?

I slowly sat up on my bed, and turned on the television. Suddenly all my worries and problems went away when I saw the living face of beauty.

Joseph Maten!!

He was the major teenage heartthrob and had the voice of an angel. He became famous at the age of 15, and has been going strong since. To make it even better, he's my age. I swear my heart flutters every time I see him. And that is exactly what it is doing now.

It was a rerun of him performing on a late night show. Who cares who it was, because I couldn't take my eyes off of him. I would pay a million dollars for a chance to meet him. His skin would be smooth, his eyes would look right into mine, his voice.....

"Kayla! Can you come downstairs for a moment?"my mom yells up to my room, interrupting my thoughts.

I gradually get off my bed, and head downstairs. As I turn the corner into the kitchen, I see her and her boyfriend, James. They both look a little giddy, and I was skeptical to take another step in that kitchen. James was sitting at the bar, and Mom was standing across from him with a toothy smile on her face.

"Mom, I have homework so..." I say as I turn around to run back up to my room.

"Wait a minute." She says. "We have something to tell you."

We?

"James and I have decided that him and his daughter are going to move in with us."

If it were possible, I think my mouth would have literally dropped to the floor. I really don't mind James, but his daughter is a pain. Did I mention it's the stuck up cheer captain, Claire Chandlers. I have no idea where the heredity went, because James is really nice and Claire could jump off a cliff all I care.

When my mom saw my expression, her face softened.

"What's wrong?" She asks.

"Noth- Nothing. When are they moving in?" I say.

"Friday."

And that might be the end of my life.

The next day at school, I kept getting funny looks from Claire. She looked as if she hated me for something I didn't do. Once, when I returned the look, she gasped and sent one of her minions out to get me. I found chewed gum stuck to every single empty space on my locker. This was the ultimate prank in this school which is really dumb.

Good thing I always come prepared. I thought to myself as I carefully opened my locker without touching a wad of gum. I eventually yanked it open, and pulled out a putty knife.

As I began scraping, Miranda walks up to me.

"Who got you?" She asks.

"One of Claire's minions." I dryly reply.

"Oh. Is it about the whole moving thing?" She says. I told them about my mishap earlier that morning.

"Yeah." I say as I scrape harshly at one of the wads that was firmly stuck on the locker.

"Well don't worry. Remember, she's staying at your house." She says as she starts off to her next class.

What she said was pretty true. I could simply ask my mom to not let them stay with us. On the other hand, what if I'm interfering with her happiness?

I finish scraping all the gum into a little bag, and dispose of it as I walk into my next class. It was science class which I had with Jasmine and Violet. Miranda was always in those advanced classes, so we rarely saw her during the day.

I sit down at our table with an exhausted look. This sparks Jasmine and Violet's curiosity.

"What happened?" Violet asked with a questioning look.

"I spent my short locker period scraping gum off my locker." I say with exasperation.

"I can't believe people still do that stupid prank." Violet retorts.

"Yeah. We're in twelfth grade. That's childish. I wonder who did it? I bet it was Claire."Jasmine chimes in.

"And you're the lucky winner." I say as the teacher walks into the classroom to start class.

After sitting through 4 more hours of classes, I went to my locker to put away my things. There she was. The devil's long lost sister. Claire.

"Hi, Kayla the Clueless." She says ignorantly.

Kayla the Clueless was my nickname in middle school and partially high school. To be honest, I thought everybody had stopped calling me that. In seventh grade was when I realized that I really liked to read. I would read in class, and the teacher would call on me. I was oblivious to the situation, and that's how I adapted the name Kayla the Clueless.

"Hi, Claire. Can I get to my locker?" I say. She was standing right in front of it.

"Did you like my little moving in present?"

"Oh yeah. My putty knife loved it." I say with an eye roll.

There's one thing that Claire can't get through her thick skull. She can't get to me. She not superior or invincible in any way possible.

"Well, I'll see you moving day." She say as she walks away.

"I hope my house isn't too small for your huge ego!" I yell down the hall at her.

She keeps walking while flipping me off.

As soon as I finished at my locker, I sprint toward the doors of the school. I was finally in the warm air of September. These are the best days when you live in a place like Buffalo, New York. The air is always the nicest. My dad never got used to this place. After him and Mom divorced, he moved back to New York City. Soon, Mom and I moved to a suburb rather than being in the city portion.

I hurriedly jumped in the car when Mom pulls up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moving day aka the end of my life.

When I got home from school, there was a heap of boxes in my living room. I had to weave in and out of the boxes so that I wouldn't knock them down.

"Hey, Kayla." My mom says from behind one of the boxes. She almost scared the crap out of me.

I had decided to ride the bus home since my mom was going to be busy helping James move in the stuff.

"Hi, Mom."

"Can you put your stuff down, and help me unpack this box?" She says as she pushes a box out of her way.

James comes around the corner with a box in his hand. He places it down, and gives Mom a little kiss on the cheek.

"Where's Claire?" I say breaking the awkwardness.

"She went to the mall with her friends." James replies.

Why wouldn't she come to unpack her stuff?

"I was actually on my way to go pick her up. Would you like to ride, Kayla?" James asks me.

"No thanks." I say politely.

He slightly nods and walks out the door.

"Aren't you excited?!" Mom says with a huge smile.

I give her a smile and start unpacking one of the boxes. It was full of Claire's things. I quickly slid it across the floor like it was poisonous.

"I don't feel well Mom. Can I go up to my room?" I ask faking a queasy look.

"Sure."

I race up the stairs, and slam the door behind me when I enter my room. I looked at the clock, and it was only 4:50 pm. My eyes felt heavy and I slowly drifted off to sleep.

"Hey! Wake up!" I felt someone shaking me. I look up and see Claire.

"What's going on? Why are you in my house?" I say still half asleep.

"Did you forget that I'm moving in with you?"She says and walks out the room.

I jump out my bed, and glance at the clock. 8:15 pm. I walk out my room and down the stairs. There were rarely any boxes left in the living room. When I walk into the kitchen, Mom, James, and Claire are sitting at the table.

"I'm glad you decided to join us for dinner." Mom says.

I sit down, and there was an awkward silence in the kitchen. It feels like the silence is screaming. Once I finish, I sit my plate in the sink, and walk to my room.

I fall in my bed again, and check my phone.

Why don't you head over to your app store, and download Instagram!!

That was the message in my email. It was one of those stupid suggestions that the app store sent to my email.

This was the least of my worries.

A/N Vote and Comment!!

Hi!! I wanted you guys to see this change in Kayla's life. I also wanted to introduce the setting which is Buffalo, New York. I hoped you guys liked the chapter. It took me a week, because I had writers block. I didn't want to cut to the chase, but next chapter I will start going in to the plot. I hope it wasn't too short either. Just hang in there with me. Until next time my friends! Don't forget to vote and comment!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9M 159K 69
Highest rank: #1 in Teen-Fiction and sci-fi romance, #1 mindreader, #2 humor Aaron's special power might just be the coolest- or scariest- thing ever...
53.8K 1.6K 24
[ONGOING 🔞] #8 insanity :- Wed, May 15, 2024. #2 yanderefanfic :- Sat, May 18, 2024. After y/n became an orphan, she had to do everything by herself...
808K 70.9K 37
𝙏𝙪𝙣𝙚 𝙠𝙮𝙖 𝙠𝙖𝙧 𝙙𝙖𝙡𝙖 , 𝙈𝙖𝙧 𝙜𝙖𝙮𝙞 𝙢𝙖𝙞 𝙢𝙞𝙩 𝙜𝙖𝙮𝙞 𝙢𝙖𝙞 𝙃𝙤 𝙜𝙖𝙮𝙞 𝙢𝙖𝙞...... ♡ 𝙏𝙀𝙍𝙄 𝘿𝙀𝙀𝙒𝘼𝙉𝙄 ♡ Shashwat Rajva...
171K 8.3K 53
ငယ်ငယ်ကတည်းက ရင့်ကျက်ပြီး အတန်းခေါင်းဆောင်အမြဲလုပ်ရတဲ့ ကောင်လေး ကျော်နေမင်း ခြူခြာလွန်းလို့ ကျော်နေမင်းက ပိုးဟပ်ဖြူလို့ နာမည်ပေးခံရတဲ့ ကောင်မလေး နေခြ...