Battle of the coffee shops

Autorstwa The-Fortunate-Typist

In desperate need of money, Jack takes on two jobs in a town that obsesses with holidays. The Christmas Cafe... Więcej

Job search
An odd catch
Accidents happen
Hugging iceburgs
Zigazig ha
Rivalry
Break-in
The Deception
A midnight ride
A strange occurrence
Jack's flight

Just a little pinch of spice

360 18 6
Autorstwa The-Fortunate-Typist

Jack trudged into his dorm room after a tiring morning in class. His teacher, Mr. Ramsay, had gone off the handle when someone had sneezed while they were cooking. He had been blamed for sneezing even though the sneeze came from no where near him, but hey I bet Mr. Ramsay's gonna regret that when he realizes his lunch has been replaced with gas station tuna sandwich.  

He let out a satisfied sigh as he flopped onto his bed, only to have it move under him. With an undignified and rather girly shriek, Jack leapt from the bed and tumbled onto the floor. Scrambling onto his feet he went over to his bed to see what was hiding under his bed and he probably wasn't as shocked as he should have been when he saw what it was. 

"Loki, why are you under my bed..." Jack gave an over dramatic huff before adding, 

"Again?" Loki crawled out from under the bed like a snake, hissing sounds and all.  

"Liven up bro, I was just... Well no actually I don't have an excuse for this one so subtle subject change how did the interview go?" Loki shook his dark locks out as he stood from the floor, now towering several inches above Jack. 

"Well I got the job, but you didn't tell me that the dude was a jerk, oh and there's a spider on your shoulder." Loki was about to ask what happened when his mind actually processed what Jack had said. He took off screaming and trying to shake the spider off finally giving Jack the peace and quiet he wanted. Jack laid back on his bed and began to study the menu. He only had about twenty minutes before Loki realized that there was no spider in the first place and came back to the room. 

Line break 

Jack pulled up to the his spot across from the coffee shop and grabbed the menu. He locked his car and ran across the street to All Hallows where Pitch Black himself was waiting at the door. 

"Just on time." Pitch announced opening the door for him. Jack handed Pitch the menu and waited to hear what to do. Like usual the restaurant was bustling with activity although one table was completely silent where a man dressed completely in yellow was typing furiously on his laptop, a mug of coffee sitting on the table beside him. 

"Follow me back to the kitchens, I'm going to assume that you read the menu?" Jack already hated this man. He spoke to him like he was just some kid who didn't know up from down.  

"Yes sir." He said trying to keep the growing loathing from spilling into his voice. Pitch led him back into the kitchen which was surprisingly small, but he supposed that since it was only a coffee shop that was alright.  

"This is a coffee shop but sometimes you will need to actually bake things for some customers. It's mostly simple things that you should know how to make, just make sure that you use a pinch of this, in every recipe." Pitch opened a brown sack that was full of what looked like red sand, but certainly didn't smell like it. Jack in all his life had never seen a spice that looked or smelt like this one. The smell was so potent that he could have smelt it from outside of the kitchen, but it went away the moment Pitch closed the bag. 

"For now you will work out front at the cash register and making whatever it is the customers want. I'm not expecting anyone to order any...Baked goods today so I wouldn't worry about it." Pitch's voice had taken on a darker tone and a dangerous smirk was playing on his lips. Jack couldn't stop the shiver that ran through him. Pitch walked him back to the front and handed him a recipe list. 

"This is how to make all the different drinks on the menu, I have something to attend to so I'm hoping you will do this right. Oh and sign this." Pitch pulled a piece of paper from the counter that Jack could have sworn wasn't there a second ago, along with a 'All Hallows coffee shop' pen. Jack took the pen and looked hesitantly at the paper, he felt like he was signing a death warrant.  

"Oh don't look so upset, it's just saying that you work here so I can add you onto the payroll." The smirk that was menacing only moments ago had turned into a more playful one, Jack took that as a good sign and put his signature on the paper. Taking the paper into hand Pitch walked off into a room where Jack guessed was his office, and shut the door. 

Line break 

It was only about ten minutes later when Jack's first customer had arrived. Jack wasn't nervous at all. His first job had been at Hooter when he was seventeen, and when he turned eighteen he was taken out of work in the kitchen and made a host. He had learned soon after becoming a host how to deal with any type of customers. To settle a lawsuit the Hooters managers had to hire a male waiter and as Jack was easy on the eyes and a bit girly himself, he was chosen to be the restaurants first male waiter in the area. In fact he had a whole bunch of people who would request him as a server when they came in to eat. When he quit to go to college a little less than a year later, many of the regulars were sad to see him go and the workers all put together some money and got him a necklace. The necklace itself was an odd amulet that looked like a symbol but it was a gift from his friends and it was pretty so he wore it under his shirt at all Times. It had become like a part of him now, he felt odd when he wasn't wearing it.  

A man around his age walked up to the counter, he was wearing an army uniform and held his head high. 

"Anything I can get for you today, sir?" Jack asked, silently marveling at the handsome man that was standing in front of him.  

"Ahh, yes can I get the witches brew please, it's my favorite." Looking down the recipe list which he soon saw was not alphabetical but listed by what was most popular, Jack nodded.  

"Can do mister!" Jack smiled happily and rushed around making the brew. 

"So are you new here?" The man asked, making sure to flash a smile a Jack. 

"Yeah, I just started here today, that'll be $3.17." He finished, putting the whip cream topped coffee on the counter. The man gave him the money and started to walk off before turning around. 

"My name's Don, I didn't quite catch yours?" Jack blushed 

"Oh my names Jack, Jack Frost." The soldier walked out of the store, repeating the name softly to himself.  

The rest of the day passed in the same fashion. Everyone seemed to love the new employee at All Hallows. When Pitch came out of his office about twenty minutes before closing time, he was surprised to see a long line that stretched out of the store. He was about to yell at Jack for letting the line get so long, when he realized that Jack was actually working at a faster pace than even Loki had worked at, it just seemed that for some reason there had been an inrush of customers. Pitch stepped in beside Jack and activated the second register, which he actually hadn't had to use since he had it installed. They just never seemed to have enough customers to have to use two registers.  

"I'll take the next person in line." Pitch called, a few other people stepped over but most of them stayed in Jack's lane. 

"Oh no way, I'm staying right here Louise, I want to see that boy that Don was talking about!" He heard someone tell their friend who was moving to his register.  

"Mary-Ann told me that he was like a total hottie, like she would break up with Ashton if he asked her out." Another girl gossiped as the line to Jack's register slowly decreased in size. Pitch continued taking orders while watching Jack deal with his line. Pitch couldn't believe it when his line was empty and everyone was still waiting in Jack's line. Pitch went and put a closed sign on the door, hoping to stop the crowd from getting any larger. And soon both Jack and Pitch had cleared out the coffee house.  

Jack wiped his forehead and looked towards Pitch, not sure what to do next. 

"Your official schedule is all week and the weekends off. You will get 9.19 an hour, welcome to All Hallows, Jack." Jack gulped and nodded his head.  

"Well it wasn't as bad as I thought actually, I'm glad to be working here." Speaking of working, Jack suddenly remembered the offer he had received from a Russian Santa yesterday.  

"Do you know what time it is?"  

"9:03" Jack ran around the counter and to the door, shouting, 

"See you tomorrow!" Which was soon followed by "Oh shit, I'm already late!" as he exited the store. Jack ran strait into the Christmas cafe and was greeted by the oddest site. 

A giant man who looked like a professional wrestler was leaning up against the Christmas tree decorated wall, next to an even bigger guy who looked like he could snap Jack in half with his thumb. The Russian Santa was standing next to a short woman who wore a dress that looked like it was made from several colorful birds. The all looked over as the door bells jingled and simultaneously greeted him. 

"Welcome Jack." Jack paled and backed up to the door, what had he gotten himself into?

AN- Well this actually turned out to have more of a plot than I first thought it would...Actually they were all supposed to be perfectly normal people and it was just supposed to be a coffeeshop AU where two coffee shops had crazy battles to try and outsell the other, but now apparently one of those categories is gonna have to change to fantasy(Even though all that stuff about the bag and the amulet were added in for no reason, They've now given me ideas!) We get to meet the wacky staff of the Christmas cafe though, and maybe learn a little bit about this 'rivalry' between the shops. Please review!

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

11K 203 30
For 300 years, Jack Frost and Cupid have been wondering why the Man in the Moon put them in the world. Along with that, Cupid has been close with the...
1.4K 68 11
Pitch black's main goal was always to make Jack Frost his ally , and to turn him against the guardians , but what if an incident changed all of that...
548 36 16
We know the Guardians. Nicholas St. North, the Spirit of Christmas known as Santa Clause; E. Aster Bunnymund, the Spirit of Easter known as the Easte...
94.5K 3.3K 20
Jack Frost is a special kind of lonely. 300 years passed since he woke in that lake, and no one knew he existed. No one could see him. Even the Moon...