Saving Grace

Bởi cropsofmemories

After losing his twin brother in a vicious bear attack, Joe Chapman wants nothing to do with the world or wit... Xem Thêm

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Epilogue

Chapter 36

1.4K 82 0
Bởi cropsofmemories

Joe stumbled through the drifts as he moved the rabbit traps. His pack held almost a dozen rabbits and several trout. He glanced at the sky as snowflakes started to drift on their lazy paths from the clouds. "I'd better hurry if I'm gonna make it back to the cabin before dark."

He set the last trap and stepped out of the trees. The blast of the wind bit into his ears as the snowflakes stung his face. He shuddered. "Shouldn't have shaved."

He stomped his feet as he stepped out of the drifts and onto the paths they'd worn through the snow. He smiled as he took in the cabin until he saw barely a trickle of smoke coming from the chimney. He looked toward the barn, noting an odd horse ducking inside.

Joe loaded his gun and rested it across his arms. He fumbled with the straps holding his knife in its scabbard. He took a deep breath before opening the cabin door. "Honey, I'm home."

"Joe!" Sarah cried as strong arms wrapped around her and held her back.

Grace stood between two men, her sleeve torn from her shirt. She bit back a sob as he stepped inside. Levi knelt in front of the fireplace, a large man holding his hands behind his head.

"Mind telling me what you're doing with my wife?" He asked as he dropped his pack to the floor.

One man spit a stream of tobacco juice on the floor. "Jes' havin' a bit 'o fun, mister. They didn' say nuthin' about no husband."

"Doesn't seem like it'd make much difference to men like you," Joe spat.

The first man pulled a knife and held it to Grace's throat. "How's about you drop your gun, mister."

Joe shook his head. "Last time I did that, it went off. Grace, you okay?"

She barely managed a nod.

"Levi?"

The boy looked up at him, terror shining through the swollen eyelids. He only swallowed.

"Sarah?"

"Joe. They're bad men." The man holding her squeezed her tighter.

Joe took his coat off and hung it on a peg. "Y'all stayin' for supper?"

The men laughed. "Supper. That's rich." He stepped around Grace and lunged for Joe's gun.

Joe pulled the trigger, dropping the man to the floor. He cranked another shell into the chamber.

"That wasn't very neighborly."

"Neither is messin' with my wife. There's no question. I will protect what's mine."

Levi groaned as he was thrown to the floor.

"That was my brother," the man hissed.

Joe didn't hesitate and fired as the man drew a knife.

The knife at Grace's throat drew blood as Joe let the man fall next to his brother. "Drop the gun, mister. We both know it won't go off now."

Joe stepped further into the room, away from the two bodies. He grimaced. "I don't much like to let it go. It was a gift."

Grace cried out as the knife bit again. Blood trickled down her neck and soaked into her shirt.

Joe nodded as he set the rifle against the wall behind him. "Okay. The gun's down. Now what?"

In a flash, the knife flew across the room, slicing through his arm. He sucked in a breath. "Shouldn't have done that."

"Says you." He threw Grace against the table and drew a pistol.

Joe drew his knife and flung it. The handle wobbled as the blade sank into the man's chest. He fell on top of Grace, driving the knife even deeper.

Joe turned to the last man. "What about you?"

The man shook his head, his eyes wide.

"Here's the thing. If I let you leave, you'll round up some friends and come back here. If I kill you, I'll have it on my conscience forever." Joe stepped forward, sweeping the hat from his head revealing his scars. "On the other hand, I could carve you up a bit."

The man shuddered and dropped Sarah to the floor. "N-no sir."

"No sir, what?"

"I ain't comin' back."

Joe grimaced. "Somehow I don't believe you. Give me your guns and get out."

"My guns? A man can't survive out here without them."

"Not my problem. Get out."

The man dropped his pistol belt on the ground and ran for the door, leaving it wide open behind him. Joe heard the horse neigh as it was forced out into the gathering darkness.

Sarah lunged into his arms. "Mr. Joe. I was so scared."

Joe dropped to his knees and held her. "I know, honey. I know."

"Joe! Look out!"

Joe collapsed onto the floor on top of Sarah as a piece of wood glanced off his shoulder. He grabbed the pistol, not bothering to remove it from it's holster. He rolled and emptied the gun into the man.

Sarah curled into a ball next to him, sobbing.

Levi lay on his side, a smile splitting his lips.

Joe stripped the weapons from the men and dragged them outside. He bolted the door behind him. Levi pushed himself up to sit against the hearth. Joe rushed to his side.

"What hurts?"

"Everything."

"Anything broken?"

"Probably ribs."

"All right, don't move." He turned to find Grace staring at him from on top of the table. He almost thought she was dead until she blinked. "Are you okay?"

She nodded.

"Did they hurt you?"

She shook her head. "I thought we were dead."

He grinned. "Not yet."

"Is Levi okay?"

He shook his head. "Not yet. Can you move?"

She nodded.

"Great. I'm gonna need some water boiling. I gotta figure out how bad he is. What happened?"

"They came just after you left. I thought you forgot something. At first, they just wanted to eat. Then they found Pa's whiskey. That's when things turned sour."

Joe nodded. "Did they hurt Sarah?"

She shook her head. "Just held her to keep her out of the way. Levi tried. He tried hard."

"I can see that. Pound me some of those berries and mix it with a good scoop of honey. Sarah, can you get me my pack?"

"Joe, you're bleeding," Grace said as she knelt next to him.

He glanced at his arm. "I know. Levi, does this hurt?"

Levi groaned.

"Grace, can you help me get him undressed?"

She nodded.

Sarah dropped the pack next to him.

"Great job. There's some rabbits and fish in there. Wanna see what you can make for dinner?"

"How can you be hungry?" Grace asked as they pulled Levi's shirt off.

"Skipped breakfast." He glanced at Sarah.

Grace nodded. "You just wanna keep her busy," she whispered.

"Yep. Hand me a wet rag." He bathed Levi's chest, touching a few ribs. "I think they're just bruised."

"You're sure?"

Joe nodded as he moved to the boy's swollen face. "You did a great job here, pal."

"Yeah?" Levi breathed.

"You sure did. I'm proud of ya. Takes a big man to take a beating like you did."

Levi smiled and closed his eyes.

"Think you can swallow a pill for me?"

"Yeah."

"Good. It's not as strong as the ones I gave Grace, but it'll help with the pain. Open your mouth and I'll put it on your tongue. Swallow." Joe cradled Levi in his arms so he could take the pill. "I'm gonna move you to my bed for tonight."

"Where you gonna sleep?"

"I'm not."

Joe hefted him into his arms and laid him on the crumpled bedding. "How's that?"

Levi nodded.

"You hungry?"

"No."

"I need you to try to get some broth or bread down. You need something in your stomach besides that pill."

Levi groaned.

"Wanna try bread soaked in broth?" Grace asked.

"Sure."

Grace stepped forward to help him eat.

Joe stood and moved to Sarah's side. "How you doin'?"

She turned and melted against him. "They were bad men. I prayed for you to come."

Joe held her as she sobbed. "What'd you make for dinner?"

She sniffed. "I just fried some fish."

"Excellent choice. That's my favorite."

She giggled. "Everything is your favorite, Mr. Joe."

"Only when you cook it." He winked at her then turned to face Grace.

She stood by the table, rubbing her hands up and down her arms.

"How 'bout you?"

She looked at him then at the fire. "I'm fine."

Joe chuckled. "No you're not." He stepped forward and covered her hands with his. "You can tell me."

She shuddered and fell against his chest. "I was so scared. Scared of what they'd do to Levi and Sarah. Scared for me. Scared you wouldn't come. Then scared that you would."

He wrapped his arms around her. "I know, honey."

"Then when you walked in and acted like you didn't care..."

He pressed his nose and lips against her hair. "But I do." They stood in each other's arms until Grace's sobs quieted.

She sniffed. "I'm sorry."

He stepped back and tilted her chin up with a finger. "Don't be. I was scared I'd miss. That they'd shoot me and still hurt you. I was scared that Levi was more hurt than he was..." He trailed off. "Did they?"

She shook her head. "No."

He smiled. "Good." His lips lowered to hers as he claimed a soft kiss.

Sarah tugged at his sleeve. "Mr. Joe, are you gonna marry Grace?"

"Sarah!"

He grinned. "We'll see."

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

16.6K 397 14
Gabby must find the courage to trust that God still knows what he's doing, despite taking away everything she's ever loved. . . . . . A lifelong frie...
707 171 48
A thousand years ago, Jack died in a snow storm. Or at least he should have. Now, he's just saved Josie Herrmann from the fate he should have suffere...
20K 1.5K 23
Joe and Sierra are living what should have been their happily ever after, but a dangerous new shifter arrives in town and threatens their way of life.
535 35 37
Widowed with two young daughters, Lara's business trip becomes life changing when a CEO offers her a job. Joe's painful experience of marriage caused...