Burned (Hate at First Flight...

By ehl_kayy_writes

Krystal Sanders has only two thoughts on her mind when she flies to New York for her interview for her dream... More

1. The Lambo Article
2. The Arrogant Adonis Hoot
3. The Cancellation
4. Swearing at Starbucks Gets You Glares
5. Holding a Burger Hostage
6. The Mafia Tour Guide
7. Goodbyes and Surprises
8. Dinner with the Demon Spawn
9. Two Can Play The Blackmail Game
10. Golf with Dylan Rush
11. Winner Takes All
12. Voting for Silence
13. Unexpected Reactions
14. The Extended Bathroom Break
15. Making a Deal with the Demon Spawn
16. Dylan Rush's Advice
17. Bittersweet Memories
19. Reversed Chances
20. Discovering the Golden Ratio
21. Frost-like Atmosphere
22. Qualifications of a Kiss
23. Athena Burns
24. Slowly Understanding Douglas Burns
25. Breaking Down Walls
26. A Little Too Much Closure
27. Douglas Stanley Burns
28. Confusing Cowardice
29. Never Judge a Person by Their Playlist
30. Alexandra Hunt
31. Crowd Control Duty
32. How to Surf, Burns Style.
33. The Attention Seeking Boy and the Girl with Commitment Issues
34. Finding Out More About the Playboy
35. Hushed Conversations
36. Failed Bravados
37. How to Speak Evan Queens
38. Confessions of a Burger Thief
39. A Ghost of a Smile
40. Surrealism That Leaves One Silent
41. I Fell for the Idiot
42. He's My Century Old Whiskey
43. Memorable Last Words
44. Making Him Faint with An Almost Kiss
45. Falling for the Son of a Diner Owner's Daughter
Epilogue : I'll Always Be Here For You
Bonus Chapter (Douglas' POV)
FROSTED NOW UP!
One-Shot

18. Eavesdroppers and Suspicions

32.1K 1.6K 69
By ehl_kayy_writes

PLEASE VOTE / COMMENT / FOLLOW

XOXO,
LOSALINI

•••||||•••

The fracture I'd gotten on my leg from a fall from the old sycamore tree behind our house when I was eight wasn't as painful as what I was now experiencing. My head felt like it was damn close to exploding and my entire body felt like it had a Boeing 747 resting on top of it. And to make matters worse I had fainted.

And no, I was not currently experiencing those out of body moments where you watched your body drift into a coma. I was now fully conscious, yet I maintained the ruse that I had fainted.

After all, who fainted from a fall? Only the fainthearted. Hahahaha, see what I did there? I was hilarious even when I was faking unconsciousness. I finally succeeded in the art of multi-tasking.

"Why isn't she waking up?" Douglas asked as I felt him sit down on the chair next to the bed I was currently lying on.

I held back from scoffing, reminding myself I was trying to 'play dead'. Instead I remained still because for one, it hurt like hell to move around in my state, and two, people tended to spill more when they thought they were free from prying ears.

So far I'd learnt that Douglas had been the one to find me. He had searched for me once he noticed I had lost him and had found me, on the ground unconscious and Jackstone had gone missing. Twenty minutes after he found me, Will arrived. An argument ensued between them, which soon ended thankfully. I had almost given up my ruse and told Douglas off for his behavior that had led to this incident.

The club doctor who specialized in the biology of animals and not humans as he was vet examined me. He had said that I didn't appear to have any bone fractures anywhere, or broken bones of any sort, I simply suffered from some minor cuts and bruising on my back and arms from trying to hold my weight when I fell down on my back.

I would have argued against that diagnosis if I had regained consciousness at that time, claiming that the pain I was in was more than a small bruising or cut. But I had missed him. I had only learnt of my state when Douglas told Will.

"Relax bro. She's going to be alright. That doctor said so, didn't he?" Will reassured him as I heard him pace the room. I didn't know whether he was trying to reassure Douglas or convince himself of that statement as his anxious steps took up most of the silence.

"And he also said she should have regained consciousness by now, and yet she's still unconscious."

"He's a vet, Doug. What do you expect? You should've called someone with human experience instead."

"I know. I know," Douglas for the first time since I met him sounded defeated. "I shouldn't have lost it. I shouldn't have left her behind. I just, I just... you know how I always lose it when someone asks about her, Will. I can't help but shut down."

"She asked about her?"

Douglas sighed. "Yes. She wanted to know how she died. I could've told her to butt out and leave it at that. I shouldn't have left her, like he left her."

"It's okay, Doug. Calm down. Everything's going to be alright. Krys is going to get her perfect little ass off that bed sooner or later and you two can both go back to hating each other's guts, okay?"

I stifled a giggle that was about to escape and hoped neither of them had noticed my slipup.

"Why don't you go get something to drink, buddy?" Will offered. "I'll stay with her and let you know once she gets up."

"No, it's alright." I could hear Douglas relax in his chair.

Just then the worst thing happened. My leg started to itch, just above my knee.

I wanted to die on the spot or saw off my leg for having the audacity to ruin my perfect plan. But then again that would ruin my plan.

So I remained as statue-like as possible whilst hoping they both suddenly had the urge to go to the bathroom so I could scratch that itch.

Little tingles ran across my leg as the impossible happened. The itch got worse. It was now taking all of my willpower to keep myself from scratching my leg.

"I insist buddy. You look dehydrated. The sun was really bright today and I'm pretty sure you haven't taken in any form of liquid since. Now get up," I could hear Will pull Douglas to his feet. "And get something to drink. And eat while you're at it."

I could hear Douglas sigh in defeat. "Fine. But any slight change and you'll let me know?"

"I swear on my father's dying bed."

"That's useless as he is dead."

I thought another argument would ensue but instead Will chuckled good-naturedly. "Just get a move on, you old geezer."

I could hear the door open and close as Douglas left the room. Now all that stood between me and my itch was Will Davis.

Now how the hell was I going to get rid of him?

Suddenly, out of nowhere I felt the sheet covering my lower body being pulled off and a large hand rest on my leg before it scratched the very spot my itch was in.

Despite my better judgment, I sat up on the bed and pushed away the hand. I heard a sound thud as the force pushed the person to the ground. When I finally faced the person, a smirking Will looked up at me, utter amusement etched on his face.

"I thought I might offer a hand, Krys. Didn't want anyone finding out you were lying the entire time, now do we?" He got up and brushed off the nonexistent dirt from his jeans. "Now tell me, Ms Sneaky, why didn't you tell anyone you were awake?"

I shrugged as I grabbed the back scratcher that lay on the table beside me and scratched the itch to my legs contend. "I thought it was a good payback for your douche of a cousin who just left me lost out on the trail with a mad horse."

"I admit my cousin was a douche," he sat down on the seat Douglas had previously occupied. "But I did warn you to not ask him, Krys. I already told you he'd get mad."

I stared at him, confused. "When did you? I don't remember that."

"I just told you yesterday you amnesiac."

I arched a brow, confused.

He rolled his eyes before he sighed. "What am I going to do with you? I told you when I took you to my secret spot."

"First of all, I'm pretty sure that spot isn't secret and secondly, that was the thing he went through that you were talking about?"

He nodded as he averted his eyes, playing with the white bedsheets that had covered me before.

"Why? A lot of people have lost their parents. What happened with his mom that made him so angry just by me asking?"

"I already told you, Krystal. It's not m-"

Just then the door opened and in walked Douglas carrying two mugs in his hands and a bag of chips in his mouth. "You're awake!" He looked relieved as he walked over and placed the food and drinks on the table beside me before he placed a hand on my forehead and another on his to compare the temperature.

"What are you doing?" I asked him as I shrugged off his hand.

"Checking your temperature," he replied simply before he pushed my hand aside and placed his hand again on my forehead.

"Last time I checked I suffered from bruising and not a fever," I argued as I shoved his hand aside again.

"Just being safe."

I was shocked by his change of attitude. He had looked like he wanted to bite my head off just moments before the incident but here he was worrying over my well-being. "Okay, spill."

He looked confused as he stepped away from me and grabbed another chair for him to sit in. "Spill what?"

"Why are you being nice to me? Did your father threaten to remove trust fund or something if I got hurt?"

"He did tell me that no harm was to come to you, but I also c-"

I held up a hand. "Then forget it. We're even now. I skipped out on you yesterday, you leave me to a mad horse today. Even Steven."

"You really are frustrating," he gritted out before he grabbed a mug and offered it to me. "Drink some of this to get some more energy into you. It's the only thing they have that's warm, unless you want some orange juice."

I studied the hot chocolate he handed me suspiciously before I came up lacking and looked at him suspiciously now. "You're freaking me out, you know that right?"

He shrugged. "Just drink the damn hot chocolate, Krystal."

I tentatively take a small sip and swallowed the sweet drink before taking another bigger sip.

"Hey," Will complained from my right. "Where's mine?"

"Get up and get it yourself," Douglas smiled innocently at his cousin before he drank from the other cup.

I continued to watch him shocked that this was the same person that had made my life hell on earth for the past week.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

415K 9.6K 50
Adelaine Matthews,a 19 year old hardworking girl with a passion for cooking and a dream to own a restaurant loses money as she pays off her mother's...
16.3K 1K 23
He set fire to the world around him but never let a flame touch her. Reyansh Kapoor: "She is the ocean in which I'll happily drown. " She was a selen...
1.1M 42.8K 42
Vanessa: There's nothing I hate in this world more than I do Aaron Sinclair. Hate is the only word for it. It's not dislike, it's not envy. It's res...
6.4M 248K 43
The youngest billionaire in town with the looks of Adonis and everything at his feet desired just one thing more in life. His perfect match. He wishe...