Countdown

By liv_dennison

You know those situations where you don't know how you'd react unless you were actually in that situation; ye... More

Introduction
Chapter One: PRESENT
Chapter Two -- ONE WEEK AGO: 9:01 PM
Chapter Four -- SIX DAYS AGO 10:43 AM
Chapter Five -- SIX DAYS AGO 12:47 PM
Chapter Six -- SIX DAYS AGO 2:15 PM
Chapter Seven -- FIVE DAYS AGO 6:37 AM
Chapter Eight --- FIVE DAYS AGO 9:57 PM
Chapter Nine -- FOUR DAYS AGO 11:48 AM
Chapter Ten -- FOUR DAYS AGO 4:58 PM
Chapter Eleven -- FOUR DAYS AGO 5:32 PM
Chapter Twelve -- FOUR DAYS AGO 6:18 PM
Chapter Thirteen -- THREE DAYS AGO 1:13 AM
Chapter Fourteen -- TWO DAYS AGO 5:57 AM
Chapter Fifteen -- THIRTY-TWO HOURS AGO 9:59 PM
Chapter Sixteen -- TWENTY-FOUR HOURS AGO 5:58 AM
Chapter Seventeen -- TWENTY-FOUR HOURS AGO 5:38 AM
Chapter Eighteen -- FIVE HOURS AGO 12:53 AM
Chapter Nineteen -- PRESENT 5:55 AM
Chapter Twenty -- PRESENT 6:03 AM
Chapter Twenty-One -- PRESENT 7:27 PM
Chapter Twenty-Two -- TWO MONTHS LATER
Author's Note

Chapter Three -- ONE WEEK AGO: 9:58 PM

81 16 9
By liv_dennison

Samantha's P.O.V.

     "Woah, woah, woah," I exclaimed into the phone as I sat straight up in bed and threw the covers off of me. "Calm down, Tyler. Breathe. What's wrong?"

     He took a deep breath before be tried to continue, but even then he couldn't get his words out. All the could be heard from the speaker was incoherent, mumbled phrases.

     I knew from the beginning something was wrong if Tyler called and Dani wasn't with him. The first thought that came to mind was that they had just broken up, but the fear and uneasiness in his voice told me it was way beyond that point.

     "Tyler!" I begged. My voice was supposed to come off as strong and full of courage, but instead it was fragile and weary.

     "Sammie? What's wrong?" Alan asked, rubbing the sleep from his eyes with the back of his hand.

     "I don't know," I answered. "Tyler?"

     As if he whispered it from a mile away, he choked out something, but I didn't need him to repeat himself. "It's Danielle..."

     "What happened?"

     After he forced himself to repeat what happened, I stopped him before he could get past the part where he left her to get his phone. I told him to wait at the station, and we would be able to talk about it there.

     I got up and pulled on my boots and robe, however, before I could leave, someone tapped on my shoulder.

     "Samantha --" Alan said, "-- what's going on? What happened?"

     "Danielle has been abducted by someone or something, and I need to get to the station," I answered, wanting to go as quickly as possible.

     "Oh my God...What can I do?"

     I didn't even think about what he said. My heart was beating so hard, I didn't even hear that what he asked. All I could think about was what was happening to my little sister at that very moment.

     "Here, I'll meet you at the station. I love you, babe," he cooed. Planting a kiss on my cheek, he pulled me into a tight embrace before pulling away and disappearing into our bedroom.

     Almost as if the weather was reflecting off of how gloomy and terrified I was feeling, it stormed all the way to the station. I usually drive the speed limit or slower when it rains so hard you can't see the road. Today was different. I didn't care what was happening. There could have been a murder going on and I wouldn't have noticed. I only wanted one thing.

     Within in minutes, I was in the parking lot and in the handicapped spot. I would probably be fined but like everything else, I didn't care. I was too frantic to care.

     I flung the doors open and looked all around the room for Tyler. My anxiety increased when I couldn't find him, but someone approached me and said, "Sam, Tyler is in the back. We didn't want him to feel uncomfortable out here in the open."

     "Thank you, Doug," I replied. "Have you found anything out? Did anyone see faces, plates, anything?"

     "Calm down, Sam. We are doing the best we can. We are still trying to get something out of the kid."

     I walked into the room and saw an EMT kneeling down in front of Tyler, taking his vitals. Confusion spring ad across my face as I rushed into over to him.

     "He passed out after getting off the phone with you," Doug answered my unspoken question.

     I pulled a seat from the desk and sat in front of him, looking into his eyes. They were dull, no longer sparkling like they often do. His eyes alone told a story.

     "Ty --" I began, taking his hand in mine. "-- what happened? Take a deep breath. Breathe. That's it."

     After following my steps, he wiped away his tears and told me everything. This time there wasn't any interrupting sobs like there was on the phone.

     He snatched the waste bin beside the desk and threw up. He apologized to me after and then started crying again.

     I knew Tyler had extremely dangerous panic attacks, but I never witnessed one. He was always smiling around my sister and family. There was only one time Danielle told me about them, and it was when they first met.

     "Okay, so, we need all the copies of footage within a mile of the kidnapping. Then, try and find some witnesses, and --" I started to say but was cut off.

     "We need to talk," Joey, chief of the station and my boss. "Come to my office."

     Annoyed, I followed him to his office, leaving Tyler with the EMT. Joey shut the door behind me and offered me a refreshment, but I quickly declined.

     "Sam, I'm sorry, but you can't work this case," he announced. He must have seen my expression because he quickly supported his statement. "You knew this would be the deal."

     "Oh, yes, the only thing going through my mind for the past hour is that I wouldn't be able to work my sister's abduction case!" I angrily shouted with sarcasm.

     "No, Sam. It's the rule. No officer can work on any case involving a family member. I'm sorry, but that's the way it is."

     Then, I started to shake with anger as I realized what was happening. It was so much that I cared if I didn't have it, but I wouldn't have anything else on my mind if I couldn't have it.

     "My case? You're taking my case away? This is the first big thing I've had, the only thing, other than the drunk guy at the bar every Saturday night."

     He bit his bottom lip, searching for words. Then he said, "You'll still have your case, Sam...Danielle will have her own case that Doug will take."

     "For one, why wouldn't she be on the Kidnapped Teen Girls case, and for two, Doug? What are you thinking?"

     I threw myself down into the chair and fought hard not to freak out even more than I already had. My burned with agonizing hatred and my eyes started to rim with tears.

     "Doug is a great investigator and one of our best men on the force," he said, sticking up for Doug.

     "Yeah, for traffic tickets," I scoffed. "Why isn't she on my case?"

     "She doesn't fit. She doesn't know any of the girls that have been kidnapped or that have been murder. No offense, but your father isn't rich, and Danielle doesn't even look or act like the rest of the girls who are kidnapped."

     I wanted to say something, anything to argue with him, but it makes perfect sense. Danielle is a blonde with some ginger highlights -- she thought it would be cute -- and blue, almost gray eyes. All the other girls had dark brown hair with brown or green eyes. They were rich, party girls; Dani has never been to a party in her life.

     Just as I was about to bring something back up about Doug, there was yelling coming from the front of the station. I gave Joey a questioning look before getting up and following Joey out to the commotion.

     "Let me speak to my daughter right now!" a man's voice demanded. "Alan. Tell them who I am."

     As we rounded the corner, two familiar people came into view: Alan and my father. I wasn't sure what I was dreading more. Seeing the outcome of this kidnapping or telling my father about Danielle.

     "Finally. Sammie, what's going on? Alan told me something happened?" He stopped as he spotted something behind me. "Tyler? Where's Danielle? S-Sam, where is she?"

     "Mr. Athens, if you would follow me, I can explain to you what's going on and what's going to happen," Doug insisted. He put his hand on my father's shoulder as if speaking to a young child.

     Father shook off his hand -- Doug was obviously offended by it -- and asked, "Why do I need to talk to you?"

     "I'll be the one taking your daughter's case, sir," he replied, sticking out his hand for a shake. "Doug Matthews."

     Father looked down at Doug's hand as if he was repulsed by it, then walked past him and over to me.

     "Sammie, what's going on?" he asked, his eyes filling with tears.

     "Dad, Dani has been abducted," I blurted out. It was only a tiny fraction of weight off my chest, but I was relieved to say it to him. "Now, go talk with Doug. He knows more details than I do."

     "Who? That dimwit?" He pointed back to Doug and scoffed loudly. "That fool couldn't tell the difference from a tic and a tac."

     "I know, Dad, but I'm not allowed to take family members' cases. I'll explain more when we get home, but for right now, figure out what there is right now with Dani," I begged.

     He nodded, and I pulled him into a hug, wiping the tears off my cheeks. I watched as he walked slightly behind Doug while he judged him even more.

     Suddenly, two muscular arms wrapped around me. When I realized it was Alan, I took a deep breath, and for the first time in awhile, I sobbed in front of everyone. Thankfully, Alan pulled me in tighter so that my cries were muffled by his chest. It was just for that, though. It made me feel safer, like nothing else would get to me.

     "It's okay, shh," he cooed into my ear. Then, he planted a kiss on top of my head. "Love you."

ווווווווווווווו×
What are your opinions on everyone? Tyler? Sam? Alan? Doug? What do you think about everything going on? What do you think will happen?

The characters that are announced in this chapter are:
Alan Lee Dusk is played by Ian Somerhalder
Donald Ray Athens is played by Robert Taylor

Shout-out: unicorn_ways I absolutely love you and hope you never leave me! Hahaha ;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.7K 1.7K 47
Moments; singular, siphoned, like grains of sand which fall restlessly, and build without limits...growing with increasing momentum, each step, beat...
28.9K 1.1K 47
~"You don't- you don't need me." I stared in shock. This was the first shred of emotion he'd shown since he started avoiding me, and I had no idea ho...
765 1 21
Choosing her cost me everything I'd ever loved... including her. I had everything a guy could ask for, a loving family, the perfect small-town life...
780 153 46
"He seemed like a puzzle to me, and I really liked solving puzzles. But somehow, I don't think that I would ever be able to solve this one." Amelia H...