The Rogue Guardian

By 18gooda

SEQUEL TO THE ROYAL THIEF cover by @Iukeh3mmings Jaden has disappeared, leaving only an enigmatic note to gui... More

Sequel to The Royal Thief
Chapter 1: Dream
Chapter 2: Through the Lion's Gate
Chapter 3: The Captain and the Tutor
Chapter 4: Strangers and Old Friends
Chapter 5: the Chase
Chapter 6: Authority
Chapter 7: Mistaken
Chapter 8: the Laycreeks
Chapter 9: Allegiance
Chapter 10: Caution
Chapter 11: Trap
Chapter 12: Visitor
Chapter 13: A Question of Trust
Chapter 14: An Uneasy Alliance
Chapter 15: To Know and to Trust
Chapter 16: Therese and the Gate
Important Announcement
Chapter 17: Kidnapped
Chapter 18: Selling Lies and Truth
Chapter 19: Control
Chapter 20: About Your Thief
Chapter 21: The Other Apprentice
Chapter 23: The Duel
Chapter 24: Footprints
Chapter 25: Nuisances and News
Chapter 26: the Sergeant
Chapter 27: Laerhart
Chapter 28: Returning
Chapter 29: Family Matters
Chapter 30: The High Circle
Chapter 31: Ultimatum
Chapter 32: One Step Ahead
Chapter 33: Options
Previously, Part One
Previously, Part Two
Chapter 34: A Lack of Ideas
Chapter 35: The Grief of Leaving
Chapter 36: Intersecting Arrangements
Chapter 37: Cabrel
Chapter 38: Laughter
Chapter 39: A Royal Encounter
Chapter 40: The War Begins
Chapter 41: A Walk in the City
Chapter 42: The Riddle's Answer
Chapter 43: Passwords
Chapter 44: Captured
Chapter 45: the Courtyard
Chapter 46: Jaden's Secret-Keeper
Chapter 47: A Friend Like That
Chapter 48: The Truth About the Prophecy
Chapter 49: Prisoners
Chapter 50: The Spymaster
Chapter 51: Like Blood
Chapter 52: Spreading Rumors
Chapter 53: The Silver Conquest
Chapter 54: Left Behind
Chapter 55: Burning Up
Chapter 56: The Small Pieces
Chapter 57: Slowly
Chapter 58: Traitor
Chapter 59: The Death of a Captain
Chapter 60: Bad Ideas
Chapter 61: The Truth
Chapter 62: Duel on the River
Chapter 63: Planning
Chapter 64: A Dance in the Woods
Chapter 65: The Fortress Heist part 1
Chapter 66: The Fortress Heist part 2
Chapter 67: Heart to Heart
Chapter 68: History Repeats Itself
Chapter 69: Symbolism
Chapter 70: Pressure
Chapter 71: The Liar and the King
Chapter 72: Right-Hand Man
Chapter 73: The Council Meeting
Chapter 74: Complicated
Chapter 75: For Going Home
Chapter 76: Black and White Kingdom
Chapter 77: Sunrise on the Mitrove
Chapter 78: What a Spy Hears
Chapter 79: Watcher
Chapter 80: Gordan
Chapter 81: Old Rooms
Chapter 82: The Light and the Darkness
Chapter 83: Blood for Blood
The Last Author's Note
Chapter 84: The Rogue Revealed
Epilogue: Jaden's Secrets
For Your Consideration

Chapter 22: New Clothes

2K 230 33
By 18gooda

I didn't get around to character drawings but I did draw Hobbes from Calvin and Hobbes and to be honest I think that's almost as good.

Also, there are two important characters introduced in this chapter so while I'm sorry about the abrupt end I hope you enjoy it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Are you going to tell Ysmay about our talk?" I asked Wes as we stepped into the downpour.

"Why does it matter?"

"Because her knowing I'm only agreeing to this so I can use the revolution's resources for my own ends may not be helpful in the long run?"

"That... is a good point. Don't worry about what I tell her, I'm not trying to sabotage you."

I raised an eyebrow, skeptical. Actually telling me how much he planned to share would have been a much more reassuring sign of support, and his reluctance to be specific made me suspicious. We may have had a link and somewhat mutual goal through Jaden, but I didn't know how far his promise to help me would go. Despite what how alarmed he'd been to hear what had happened, there was clearly something else going on beneath the surface-- I only hoped I'd know what it was once I figured out why he'd left the capital.

"Fine, then. Do you know what happens next?"

"What do you mean?" He had to raise his voice over the harsh thrum of rain falling all around. The distant sound of thunder rolled through the thick clouds overhead.

I swiped wet hair out of my eyes, squinting to see where I was going. I would have liked to get out of this storm as quickly as possible, but the streets were slippery and we were going slowly. "Once I tell her I'll join you, am I going to have to do anything else? Am I going to be expected to come to meetings and stuff? What exactly do you guys do?"

"Don't you know how this works from the capital?"

"Kind of. I'm just trying to get a handle on all this."

"Well... don't worry. Ysmay will explain everything." His head was lowered, watching his feet, so I couldn't see his face, but a prickly, disconcerting feeling buzzed in my bones. Why did all his advice come across like 'just stop asking'?

I stopped suddenly. "Is there something else going on?"

"What?"

"Is there something else going on here that you're not telling me."

He raised his head to look at me. His face was entirely blank-- I couldn't read anything, and I was reminded again how quickly his emotions seemed to change. Something about Wes, I realized, threw me off. He never seemed fully committed to being one person, going from the amiable boy who had accidentally mistaken me for Therese to the grim-faced backup of Lucien's trap to the caring but reserved former-student at the inn.

I stared at him until he finally broke eye contact, frustration breaking across his face.

"I just don't know what she has planned for you, alright? Let's keep going."

That did not make me feel better.

By the time we made it into the caverns my cloak and most of my clothes were soaked, and I was far more grateful to Evvie than was necessary for sitting me down in front of the fire in the main tavern room with a mug of tea, which turned out to definitely not be tea upon tasting it but was nevertheless good for warming up my frozen hands.

Almost as good, Wes had loosened up again, making my nerves calm down. I had probably overreacted to his skittishness. There was nothing threatening about the atmosphere here. It was smoky and overcrowded, probably from everyone trying to stay out of the rain, and filled with talking and laughter. An unintelligible murmur of more talking from the match room drifted in through the doorway.

"How does this fireplace work, anyway?" I asked Wes. "Is this a hole in the ground above us that randomly sends up smoke that people have learned not to question?"

He snorted into his drink. "I believe this chute just extends farther up aboveground next to a building so it looks like a regular chimney."

"So not only are there fake chimneys that are actually entrances down here, but there are also fake chimneys that are actually underground fireplaces? Are any of the chimneys in this city real?"

He let out a bark of laughter. "You know what, you're right. All of our chimneys might be imposters. It's amazing we haven't been shut down yet. What is it, Kay?"

I twisted around to look up at Kay standing behind us. He seemed to have been listening, with a small frown.

"Ysmay needs you in the meeting room. And Adina, Evvie found some clothes that might fit you, if you'd like to change."

"Oh. Yeah, thank you." I followed Wes into the tunnel, and as he knocked on the meeting room door Evvie showed me into a smaller room down the hall. It was cold without the warmth of the fireplace and I was quickly shivering again. Eager to get back to the tavern room I pulled off my soggy boots and socks and picked up the clothes Evvie had left on the stool. But despite my shivering, I didn't start to put them on immediately.

I was surprised by the selection. I'd expected some of Evvie's clothes or some belonging to another female rebel, which would have probably been a bit short or small on me, but the white tunic here looked to be the perfect size, which would have been unusual already even if pure white clothing weren't so rare. The pants were light beige and also the right size-- almost as though they'd put some effort into getting good clothes.

Maybe it was just that I wasn't used to anyone caring if I looked sloppy or not, but it seemed strange to me. I wasn't like people would be looking at me specifically. And it made it seem like they hadn't just scrounged these clothes up because I happened to show up soaking wet, but had gotten them beforehand.

Still, I was cold and wet. I put the shirt and pants on and went to pull on the boots as well, also the right shoe size. But what stopped me the second time was their soles. There was designs cut into them, for better grip on the ground, which I'd seen only on rain shoes and training boots. And there was a rusty tinge to them, which I had only seen in one place-- the shoes of some of the more experienced fighters at the match house, ones who had been through too many bloody fights to quite wash the evidence from their feet.

Slightly unnerved, I finished dressing and transferred the knives in my own boots to the new ones and tied my wet hair back before stepping outside. Evvie was waiting with her arms crossed. Wes was next to her. Even before I processed what she was saying I already understood.

Wes's arms were crossed as well, hands clenched on his arms. There were two knives in his belt that hadn't been there before I changed. His face was dark, his jaw clenched tight.

"I hope you're ready for a fight," Evvie said grimly.

"I hope your kidding."

She put one hand on my shoulder and pushed me ahead of her, marching us back through the tavern room. Wes followed in sullen silence. "Each new recruit has to prove themselves."

"Ysmay practically forced me to join and you're still going to make me prove myself?"

"It's nonnegotiable. Us basing ourselves in the caverns puts everyone else down here at risk. It's only fair we pay them back somehow, and sometimes that means providing entertainment. You could try being grateful-- Ysmay's assigned much worse tasks to new recruits. You clearly have some practice at this."

True, but it wasn't really the fighting I was angry about. I assumed I'd win. I was more annoyed that Wes had refused to warn me and that they were being entirely unfair.

"You have a few minutes to warm up," she said, leaving Wes and I in the back of the room behind winding her way closer to the stage.

I considered several curse words but couldn't find one to accurately sum up my particular combination of anger and annoyance, so I settled for glaring at Wes. He seemed just as angry and annoyed and not particularly bothered by my look.

"You could have said something."

"I didn't know she'd pick this."

"You still could have said something."

He glowered at the ground and I rolled my eyes.

I decided to be more productive with our few minutes and think back to the only time I'd seen him fight, in my first encounter with him and Kay and Lucien. He was good, I remembered. But then again, he'd had Kay's help. Perhaps he wasn't that good.

But then again, Ysmay had specifically chosen him to do this.

Before I could consider it any further Wes nudged me forward and I realized it was time. Evvie jumped onto the stage and waited for us to reach its base then began.

"As always, the Phoenix wishes to express its gratitude for the home it has found in these caverns. You have allowed us not only to stay but to grow. You gave us not only protection but the ability to protect ourselves. You helped us set the fire we were born from."

The crowd shifted impatiently, but her speech wasn't for them anyway, I realized. Evvie was addressing only two people in particular, two people I knew immediately I should have been paying attention to. They must have been twins, as they were identical, same height and stature, both with black hair with a bluish sheen and sharp, reserved faces.

"From the ashes of that fire," Evvie finished, "The Phoenix will rise." She clapped Wes on the shoulder. "The duel ends with first blood. We hope it honors the gifts we have received here."

First blood. I hadn't been expecting that-- at the match house only the best fighters used that rule. The few times I had fought all you had to do was receive the other person's surrender. I suspected surrendering here would only get you ridicule.

Worse, I finally remembered the one other thing I knew about Wes. The match house, Jaden had told me, also hosted an event called the glory duels, a set of fights to the death. And Wes, before he left, had won it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 309 26
The armies are amassing, time is short for the defenders and their armies aren't in place. Will Jessa and those with her be enough to stop the invadi...
105K 3.4K 27
After uncovering that she is the last remaining Royal, Princess Alexis Stone is put into hiding. But what happens when she can't hide any more? Wit...
Kissed by Chaos By Zarin

Historical Fiction

142K 4K 36
Power. Greed. Bloodlust. Medieval Europe is in a witch hunting frenzy and Claire has no choice but to run. She leaves behind the man she loves and t...
381K 30.5K 84
Enter a dangerous, magical realm on the brink of rebellion, where the loyalty of the Guardians means power... or death. What happens when one Guardia...