Because You Love Me

By thegirlwhowrites11

Alaina Evans was considered dangerous and locked away...until the Death Eaters came for her. She was saved b... More

1. There's Something Wrong
2. Welcome Home
3. Meeting Harry
4. The Last Stand
5. Dead and Gone
6. A Night at Spinner's End
7. The Boy Who Lived
8. Arrangements
9. Number 4 Privet Drive
10. The Funeral
11. Sirius Justice
12. Finally Eleven
13. An Old Friend
14. Muggle Studies
15. Welcome to Hogwarts
16. The Hogwarts Express
17. Sorted
18. First Classes
19. A Lesson in Flying
20. Potions
21. Late Night Talks
22. Suspicious Minds
23. Midnight Adventure
24. Halloween Blues
25. Troll in the Dungeon
26. Jinxing the Broom
27. See Me After Class
28. The Mirror of Erised
29. Christmas
30. Their Deepest and Most Desperate Desires
31. The Sorcerer's Stone
32. Detention With Hagrid
33. Something Wicked
34. Fluffy's Secret
35. The Trap Door
36. Two-Faced Villian
37. Hospitalized
38. Points for Gryffindor
39. Going Home
40. Blissful Summer
41. Dobby
42. Meeting Malfoy
43. Another Year Begins
44. The Elf's Warning
45. Second Year Classes
46. Mudblood
47. Enemies of the Heir
48. What Lies Within
49. Rogue
50. Dobby Returns
51. Moaning Myrtle
52. Parselmouth
53. Petrified
54. Christmas Revelations
55. The Diary
56. Wrong Place, Wrong Time
57. Into the Chamber
58. Tom Marvolo Riddle
59. Reborn
60. Voldemort Has Returned
61. Dead or Alive
62. A Marked Man
63. Free
64. Escape
65. Big Black Dog
67. Out in the Open
68. Everything's Changed
69. Outcast
70. Lupin's Request
71. Buckbeak and Malfoy
72. Sighted
73. Severus and the Boggart
74. A Shocking Revelation
75. Trouble in Hogsmeade
76. The Doctor and Sirius Black
77. The Fat Lady
78. Freefall
79. The Marauder's Map
80. The Firebolt
81. Return of the Black Dog
82. Seeing the Impossible
83. A Rat Among Them
84. The Whomping Willow
85. The Truth About Scabbers
86. Attack of the Wolf
87. The Stag
88. Cleared
89. Preparations
90. Nightmares
91. Haunted
92. A Wedding at Hogwarts
93. The Message
94. Seven
95. Burning at Both Ends
96. The Exchange
97. The Death of Harry
98. Shattered
99. Reunited
100. New Beginnings

66. There's Something Out There

6.1K 219 69
By thegirlwhowrites11

 Months passed and Harry never said one word about the big black dog he saw in the back yard. He figured that his mother had enough to worry about. Besides, the dog hadn't returned that night that he knew of so maybe it was nothing. It was probably just a stray in the neighborhood that happened to walk by his window. Although Harry had come to learn that there was a reason for everything in his life, he was hoping that this time it was just a stray dog and that was it.

The days of the summer hadn't been particularly easy. Alaina wouldn't allow Harry to wander off by himself like he did several times before. He had to stay mostly in the house. When Ron and Hermione both came over for his birthday party though, she let the three of them got outside together, but they had to take their wands so they could get her in a hurry if they needed to. Ron had asked Harry to explain her strange behavior and he told him and Hermione what he had overheard, just that Sirius had escaped. He didn't tell them about him being his godfather though. What if they thought badly of him? Ron wasn't surprised that he escaped. Mr. Weasley had told him and he had read it in The Daily Prophet. Hermione had no idea until Harry told her. Of course she was worried right away about him, but Ron shrugged it off. He knew Harry would be fine. He even said so. With a great mom and her boyfriend in Harry's corner, not much was bound to happen to him, right?

He reflected on the conversation as he walked beside of Alaina and Severus, who had a trolley with all of their trunks on it. Severus was even dressed in a suit and tie as Dumbledore had been when he had come to their house a few months earlier. He looked strange in Muggle clothes, but he hadn't wanted to draw attention to himself. The more he blended in, the less danger they were in. That's what he had told Alaina just before they left.

They went through the barrier unnoticed, Harry going first. From there the luggage was loaded onto the train. Ron and Hermione came up to Harry and the three of them boarded the train together. Alaina and Severus then went to their compartment as well.

Harry could hardly wait to sit down. They tried to find an empty compartment, but they had gotten there a little late so all of them were practically taken. Just as the train started to take off, they found a compartment with only one person. It was a grown man who happened to be asleep. Ron, Hermione, and Harry slipped inside and took their seats.

"Who do you suppose that is?" Ron asked. He was eyeing the man asleep in the seat against the window.

"Professor R. J. Lupin," Hermione answered.

Harry and Ron both stared at her blankly.

"You know everything," Ron said in disbelief. "How is it she knows everything?"

Hermione rolled her eyes and pointed up to the suitcase above the stranger's head. "It's on his suitcase, Ronald."

Harry couldn't help but chuckle at this. Hermione was very observant. They had always known that about her. That's why she was good at learning. She noticed EVERYTHING.

"What's in the carrier beside of you, Hermione?" Harry asked. He had noticed her carrying it, but he had no idea what was inside.

"Oh that's Crookshanks," she told him. "It's my new cat."

"It's a furball with teeth," Ron corrected.

She glared at him. "No, it's not. Just because that smelly old shoebrush is afraid of him doesn't mean he's evil."

"Scabbers doesn't like him."

She rolled her eyes. She didn't say anything else. She felt it useless to try. Harry sighed. It was good to hear them argue again. It was strange, but it made him feel more at home. Their bickering was a simple part of their relationship.

"Do you think he's really asleep?" Harry asked suddenly.

Hermione craned her neck. "He seems to be." Ron double checked to be sure. He nodded his head in agreement.

"Good. I have to tell you something." He got up and shut the compartment door. "I didn't tell you guys all of what I know about Sirius Black."

"What?" Ron said. "Why not?"

Harry's cheeks reddened. "I wasn't sure how you'd take it. I mean, I thought you might not look at me the same if you knew."

"Harry, we're you're friends. You can tell us anything," Hermione reminded him.

Somewhere deep down he already knew that, but he couldn't help how he felt about it. "I know, I just wasn't ready. It's been a month or so now and I think I can tell you now."

"Well, out with it, mate," Ron told him.

He nodded. "Okay. Remember how I said that Sirius Black, they think, escaped because he wanted to hurt me and Mum?" They both nodded and Harry continued. "Well, he's actually related to me."

Ron's eyes widened. Hermione's too.

"How?" she inquired.

"He's my godfather," Harry revealed.

"So your godfather may want to kill you?" Ron said. When Harry nodded, he commented, "Well, this year is going to be exciting."

"What about this Pettigrew character?" Hermione asked. "Have you learned anything more about him?"

"No," Harry said. "Not a thing. Mum and Professor Snape hadn't really been talking a whole lot about it these days to where I could hear them. But I can tell that they've both been worried sick about me by the way they've been acting."

"It will get better, I'm sure."

"You don't think he'll try and come to Hogwarts do you?" Ron said.

Harry shrugged.

"They'll catch him before that, won't they?" Hermione questioned. "I mean, everyone is looking for him."

"Sure. Except that no one's ever escaped from Azkaban before and he's a murderous, raving lunatic."

Harry stared at him. "Thanks, Ron."

"Don't mention it."

Hermione shook her head. Sometimes she didn't think Ron's brain was connected to his mouth. She knew Harry was worried enough without him adding anything to it.

Suddenly the train jolted them a little and they heard the faint screeching of brakes.

"Why are we stopping?" she asked worriedly. "We can't be there yet."

Harry got up to look out the door of the compartment. He stuck his head out as he noticed several others had down the line. One last jolt knocked him back inside and back into his seat. Ron and Hermione were hanging on for dear life.

"What's happening?" Ron asked worriedly.

"I don't know," Harry said. His heart was racing, but he tried to remain calm. "Maybe we've broken down."

Just then the lights went out and then came back on again. The power was flickering.

"I don't think so," Ron said darkly. He had his nose and hand pressed up against the window and fear was causing his voice to shake. "There's something moving out there." The lights went out again. "I think something's coming aboard."

~ * ~

Severus was holding onto Alaina tightly when the lights went out. She shrieked. She was afraid of something she had never confessed to anyone, especially when it was unplanned.

"Severus, I have to confess something to you," Alaina whispered.

He squeezed her tightly to try and calm her down. "It's alright, Alaina. We're going to be fine."

"No. It's not that. I know I'm safe with you. It's just that I-I'm afraid of the dark."

He thought at first she was joking. He was waiting for the laughter. When he didn't hear anything, he looked down at her. She was gazing up at him and he could tell that she was serious. "At least you're not alone."

"Yes, but isn't it ridiculous?"

"No. You fear what you fear and there's nothing you can do, but overcome it."

"And how do I do that?"

"Think about something else."

Alaina was surprised at how simple it seemed. Maybe he was right. Maybe if she thought of something else then the darkness wouldn't bother her. Then a sudden creaking noise made her jump. She grabbed onto Severus's clothes. "What was that?"

Severus opened his mouth to speak and the air was so cold he could see his breath. It was strange. It seemed to be getting colder by the minute. Even the glass on the windows was freezing up. Alaina's teeth chattered. She was starting to feel the change in temperature as well.

"I have no idea," he told her, "but there is definitely something wrong. The train doesn't just stop like this without reason."

"M-Maybe we've broken down," she reasoned. Her teeth were still chattering even though she was as close to Severus as she can get.

"Not likely." He moved closer to the window. "There's something going on out there, but I can't quite make out what. It looks like some people are getting on board."

Alaina frowned. "Who could possibly be getting on the Hogwarts Express?" A sudden thought came to her. "It could be somebody dangerous."

"Yes," Severus agreed, "I suppose it could be."

She gulped. "Remember when you said I should try to focus on something other than my fear of the darkness?"

He nodded.

"I just thought of something else and it doesn't give me a good feeling."

He raised his eyebrow. "And that is?"

"Harry. Severus, what if what's going on at this very moment has something to do with Sirius? I mean, I don't want to believe Sirius would hurt Harry, but what if Azkaban has changed him?"

"Then we will stop him." Severus let go of Alaina and stood. She had brought up an interesting point. What if it was Sirius? Or someone a little bit more evil like Death Eaters? "We have to go to Harry now."

"I agree with you. You don't think I'm being too overprotective?"

"No. You're a mother who's worried about her son."

She smiled. Out of the silence that followed Severus's last sentence came a booming voice. It sounded like a spell, but neither one of them could be sure. Alaina ran over to the compartment door and tried to find out, but a bright light nearly blinded her. Severus pulled her back inside until the light died down and then they stepped out into the open together.

"Which compartment was Harry in?" Severus asked, walking briskly. He was holding Alaina's hand and practically pulling her along.

"I don't know. I didn't see," she answered.

They looked into each and every compartment until they found the right one. Hermione and Ron were inside and they were sitting in their seats, their attention on the one in front of them. Harry was occupying it, laying down. He looked like he was sleeping. Then there was someone else, someone Alaina hadn't seen in a really long time. Severus saw him too and a scowl appeared on his face. He opened the compartment door. The man looked back at him and Alaina. He stood.

"Alaina, Severus, it is good to see you again," he said.

Severus crossed his arms. "I wish I could say the same, Lupin."

Alaina elbowed him. "Be nice."

He gave her a look, but he didn't say anything more. He didn't want to be nice to the man. He didn't like him and he never had.

"Hello, Remus," she said extending her hand. "It's good to see you again too."

Remus reached out to take her hand, but pulled her into an embrace instead. Severus eyed him suspiciously. He didn't like him hugging her like that. He didn't like him touching her at all. Not one little bit. A sudden realization hit him. He was jealous. Finally, Lupin let go of her.

"What happened here?" Alaina asked him. "And how long has Harry been asleep?"

"He's not sleeping, Alaina," Remus said. "He passed out."

She gasped and Severus's eyes widened. "From what?"

"That big ugly creature that came in here," Ron interrupted.

Lupin chuckled. "It was a Dementor," he corrected.

Alaina shuddered. She had read about them once. They guarded Azkaban mostly and were very lethal creatures if one wasn't careful. "What did it want with Harry?"

He shrugged. "I have no idea. I was going to wait until Harry woke up so I could go have a talk with the driver. He should have never let those things on a train full of children even if it was searching the train for Sirius Black."

"Isn't it obvious?" Severus said quietly. He completely ignored Lupin's statment. "Harry has suffered a terrible loss in his life. Those creatures feed off of pain."

Alaina frowned. That made sense. Even if he was too small to remember it, he had still watched Voldemort kill his mother, he had still heard her screams. "That explains it perfectly. Harry will be alright, won't he?"

"Of course," Remus promised. "He'll just feel a bit dizzy when he first gets up, but after a little bar of chocolate he'll be fine."

She nodded. "Okay. What brings you to Hogwarts?"

"Dumbledore asked me to fill the Defense Against the Dark Arts spot."

Severus stiffened at this news. That was the last thing he wanted to hear. He moved over to Harry whom he had noticed stirring out of the corner of his eye. By the time Harry's eyes fluttered open he was kneeling in front of him. Harry rubbed his eyes.

"Professor Snape? What happened?" he asked curiously. "And why do I feel so weird?"

Severus patted Harry on the leg. "You just passed out."

Harry frowned. He was remembering something about what had happened. That creature, that horrible creature, had been sort of sucking the life out of him. And then there was screaming. He looked around for a moment. His eyes stopped on Lupin, who was reaching him a piece of chocolate. He took it reluctantly.

"Eat it," Remus told him. "You'll feel better. I promise."

Harry glanced at Severus for reassurance. When Severus nodded, he ate it in one bite. In a few seconds, he started feeling a little better just like the man had said. "What was that thing?"

"A dementor," Severus told him. "One of the guards of Azkaban. They were searching the train for Sirius. Are you alright?"

Harry smiled. "I'm getting better." He threw his arms around his neck much to the surprise of Lupin.

Severus held him tightly there for a moment and then let him go. "Good. I'm glad."

Remus stared at the two of them for a minute, unsure of what he had just seen. Apparently, a lot had changed in the past few years.

"I'm just glad everything is okay," Alaina announced.

"Me too," Harry admitted.

"We're going to go back to our compartment," she said, giving Harry a squeeze. "We'll see you when we get to school. Are you sure you're going to be okay?"

Harry nodded. Severus got up and slipped his hand into Alaina's.

"Ready then?" he asked.

She nodded. "Of course." She waved goodbye to Remus, who had a strange look on his face, and the two of them left the compartment.

"This isn't going to be easy for you is it, Severus?" Alaina asked.

Severus swallowed hard. "No. I don't like him and he doesn't care for me either. I think it's best if I avoid him at all costs. I know he's like family to you, Alaina, but I don't think-"

She stopped and put her finger over his lips. "You don't have to like him, but that doesn't mean that I won't be talking to him. You know that, right?"

"I do."

"Good. Cause the last thing I want to do is see the two of you fight."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68.6K 3.2K 50
(Y/N) Black was a Death Eater that had been assigned a big mission by Lucius Malfoy. What was this mission you ask? She had to become the Assistant t...
70.3K 2.1K 14
Severus missed his friend when she left Hogwarts some six year ago. He'd tried to push his feelings for her to the back of his mind but when she ret...
274K 6K 38
Nothing would of prepared Celia Malfoy for what she was about to be faced with. In her last year of Hogwarts coming to a close, the Potions Professo...
91.3K 1.8K 16
This story is about Marigold Evans, twin sister to Lily Potter and Aunt to Harry Potter. She is in love with Severus Snape. Her sisters death brought...