His key to freedom

By Gina-Valerie

The Quin pack have had a hard time of recent. They have lost their beloved, devoted Alpha and were forced to... More

C h a p t e r One
C h a p t e r T w o
C h a p t e r T h r e e
C h a p t e r F o u r
C h a p t e r F i v e
C ha p t e r S i x
C h a p t e r S e v e n
C h a p t e r E i g h t
C h a p t e r N i n e
C h a p t e r E l e v e n
C h a p t e r T w e l v e
C h a p t e r T h i r t e e n
C h a p t e r F o u r t e e n

C h a p t e r T e n

152 4 0
By Gina-Valerie

Chapter 10

Hunter

     I went to bed that night with a smile on my face and it was still there when I woke up. Phoebe and I spent the night talking about what that meant for her and for us. I explained that I was willing to take this as slow as she needed, understanding that it was a huge change for both her and Millie.

     I also told her about the celebration this weekend and asked her if she would be willing to come so I could introduce her to the pack as their Alpha female, which she agreed to without any hesitation.

      I felt like for the first time in years, things were finally looking up. I knew my father would be proud of what we had here. And I was certain he would approve of Phoebe as my soul mate. She was so much stronger than she looked.

      I lay in bed thinking how lucky I am to have such an amazing mate. I knew everyone must think that when they think of their mate. But Phoebe was truly amazing. Twenty four hours ago she never even realised werewolves were real and now she knows we are and her soul mate is one. I couldn't be more proud of her for accepting things for what they are.

     Rolling out of bed and putting on clothes, I realised I needed to check in with mum and tell her the good news so that she can start the preparations. Every new couple participate in the mating run before they can officially be mated. Mine and Phoebe's will be the first one at our new pack grounds and I wanted to make sure it was perfect for Phoebe.

      I bounded down the stairs, banding on the every door as I went, making sure everyone was up and ready to go for a run. I wasn't going to let the pack slack off just because I had other things I needed to take care of.

      As usual, I found mum in the kitchen cooking. Ever since dad died mother has thrown herself into helping out with the other pack females duties. I repeatedly told her she didn't need to do that, but she never listened. Told me that she is just a normal pack member now and so she needs to do her share of pack duties.

"Mother," I bent down to give her a kiss on the cheek.

"You did!" My mother exclaimed dropping the bowl she had in her hands on the table. "You found her! Don't deny it, I can smell her on you! So who is it? Is she from a pack near by?"

"Her name is Phoebe-May," I told my mother as I grabbed food off the table. Just as I was about to tell her about the other small piece of information she needed to know, Zach and Dylan bounded into the kitchen.

"She's beautiful, Jennella!" Zach told me nodding in my direction. "Hunter is a very lucky guy. And we are one very lucky pack, she's going to be a great addition. And she sings beautifully!"

"But she's human Jen," I watched as Dylan screwed his face up is disgust. "Hunter got stuck with the weak one."

     I rose from my chair quicker than you can say the word 'wolf'. I grabbed hold of Dylan's neck and threw him to the floor, hearing is head make a loud cracking sound as it connected with the floor. I wanted to stop there, make sure Dylan was okay, but I felt my wolf pushing through, begging to take control. Dylan made a push to get me off him, but being of Alpha blood I was bigger and stronger than he was.

     A loud, deep grown rose from my chest as I raised my hand and smashed into the side of Dylan's face, my mother let out a gasp and took a step back. Zach rose from his seat at the table but knew better than to get involved.

"Phoebe is your Alpha." My wolf growled at Dylan. "You will speak of her with the upmost respect or you will not speak of her at all." Dylan grunted but stilled. He stopped fighting my wolf and bowed his head.

"My apologies, Alpha Hunter." Dylan managed to croak out between spitting blood.

     I released the pressure from Dylan's neck and stood up. As I turned to face my mother I saw a crowd had gathered of kids coming to eat in the huge dining hall. "That goes for all of you. The first sign of disrespect towards my mate, your Alpha, and you will all face the consequences."

"Alpha Hunter," my mother said softly. "How about we talk in the office."

     I let my mother guide me softly by the arm, willing my wolf to calm down. I closed the door behind me and sighed. "Before you say anything Mother, that was necessary. I will not have anyone being disrespectful towards Phoebe. If turn a blind eye to Dylan, what kind of example does that set towards the rest of the pack?"

"So what he said is true," mother asked raising an eyebrow. "She is human?"

"What is so bad about that? She is still my mate and she is just as worthy, if not more, of the Alpha female title than any of the pack females here!" I told my mother firmly. "Phoebe is beautiful and she is clever. She is brave and strong and she will serve this pack as well as any wolf would."

     My mother didn't say anything in reply, she just pulled me in for a hug and rubbed my back, like she used to when I was a pup. It was a comforting gesture, but what I really needed was to see Phoebe, only she would be able to tame my wolf.

"I am so proud of you Hunter," Mother said pulling away from the hug. "You have grown into quite the little Alpha. Your father would have smiled if he saw you this morning. Phoebe is more than welcome in our family. I cannot wait to meet her."

"Actually," I said straightening up, glad for the distraction. "I was going to introduce Phoebe to the pack at the celebration Saturday, so I was hoping to you make it extra special. And, I know we've not done a mating run here before, but I was wondering if you could have that organised too."

"Anything for you my son," my mother smiled warmly at me.

"Oh, and Phoebe has a younger sister, Millie. She is adorable, such a good kid. But I would need you to look after her while Phoebe and I have our mating run." I quickly went on to add; "she really wont be any trouble at all. She is so polite and well behaved. Phoebe has done an amazing job with her."

"It would be no trouble Hunter. Don't you worry, I'll make sure everything is perfect for your mate."

     By the time I finished making plans with my mother for the celebration on Saturday I was late leaving for college. I didn't have time to pick Phoebe up like I had planned so I would just have to meet her there instead.

      When I got to college I noticed Zach and Dylan were already parked up. Zach nodded at me in greeting but Dylan didn't even look up. There was a nice bruise shadowing the left side of his face. I momentarily felt bad about laying into him so heavily, but he should know better. He deserved it, my wolf told me firmly.

     I didn't have time to dwell on it, I wanted to catch Phoebe before class. And had about five minutes to do just that, so I rushed on inside and promised myself I would talk to Dylan later.

     Phoebe was exactly where I thought she would be, stood outside her first classroom. I slowed my pace as I neared to take her in. She really was beautiful. Her hair was in a plait that lay over her shoulder. She was wearing black jeans, brown boots with a small heel and a white jumper. She looked so perfect without trying. I highly doubt she knew just how beautiful she was.

     I'm so lucky to have her, I thought. My pack is lucky to have her.

     As I got closer I realised she was talking to someone. I recognised the girl as Sarah, the girl she was singing with the second time I saw Phoebe. Neither of the girls noticed me until I sneaked a kiss on Phoebes cheek. I felt the air buzz between as I wrapped my arms around Phoebe from behind. She felt so right in my arms, I knew she was made for me, but I didn't realise it would feel this good.

"Good morning beautiful." I said with my signature smirk plastered on my face. I saw Sarah's eyes widen in shock as she realised who I was.

"Hello Hunter," Phoebe smiled. "I must admit, I was slightly surprised not to see you outside my house this morning."

"I didn't want you to start thinking I was stalking you." I bit back a laugh at the look on Sarah's face. "Morning to you too, Sarah."

"Urm," she spluttered. "Think about the dance Phoebe!" Sarah said before rushing off to her class.

     I laughed lightly as Phoebe pushed away from me and smacked my arm.

"That wasn't nice at all." Phoebe scolded wrapping her arms around me.

     I shrugged my shoulders and returned her hug. "Guess I wont be getting any friend points." I felt my wolf instantly calm as Phoebes presence soothed him and allowed myself to forget about this mornings events. My wolf was pleased at how affectionate Phoebe had become over the last day, but part of me was sad knowing that it wasn't a conscious decision of hers, it was just the mating instincts taking over. "What dance was she talking about?"

"Christmas dance," Phoebe responded, shaking her head slightly. "Sarah just cant see how impractical it would be for me to go."

"Do you want to go?" I asked.

"Of course!" Phoebe answered quickly, nodding her head as if to reaffirm it. "But I just can't, not with Millie to look after."

     I nodded, understanding why Phoebe would pass up the opportunity to go have fun to look after her sister. I wonder if my mother would like to look after Millie for a night, I thought to myself. "Are you and Millie still free Saturday?" I asked changing the subject.

"Millie had dance class in the morning, but she finishes up around half twelve. Why?" Phoebe asked pulling out of the hug.

"I'll pick you both up at half one. Wear something nice, your meeting the family remember. And Millie said she wants to wear a pretty dress." I told her just as the bell rang signalling the start of the first lesson. "Half one remember!"

~~~~~~~~~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

286K 13.1K 44
Complete. Rootbridge Pack - Book one. She's on the run. He's living a normal life. She's being chased by shadows - haunted by memories. He's just ha...
472K 24K 41
When Leah is gifted with an abusive mate, you'd think she would give up on werewolves altogether. But a new experience opens her mind and heart to pa...
9K 498 60
As a Meta/Vampire hybrid, Hunter has seen some crazy stuff. She's worked hard not to be killed by supernaturals and by the people who "took care" of...
208K 5.3K 25
Dawn is 22-years old and a Beta's daughter. She is strong,fast,outgoing and has a great sense of humor. She is rebellious, adventurous and confident...