Before You Know It

By wolfmoon003

Ripped apart from each other at the ages of 9 and 10, best friends Lukas Kennedy and Tess Gooding are torn aw... More

Before You Know It
Coming Home
All Grown Up
School Daze
Lukas' POV: Remembering
We're Party Rockin'!
Fate

Memories

311 6 2
By wolfmoon003

Well, here is part 4. enjoy! Last chapter I was in a really musicy mood so I had them sing! I THOUGHT IT WAS AWESOME! I love those kind of scenes :) They are so fun and happy. Well here you go. Part 4. Will Tessy be able to jog Lukas' memory, or will she be alone in this forgotten frienship?

-♥-♥-♥-

I froze and my heart sunk.

Oh my god.

He doesn't remember me.

Even after I called him Lucky and reminded him I was his Tess.

Maybe he's joking. A sick, mean joke.

I laughed and slapped Lukas on the arm playfully. "Good one, Lucky. Stop goofing off so we can get back to old times." I tried to walk into his room but he cut me off. Then he said three words I didn't want to hear.

"I'm not joking." I froze and my heart seemed to collapse in my chest. I felt the tears coming to my eyes and I couldn't breathe properly.

"You-you really don't remember me?" I squeaked out in a whisper. I can't believe this. All those years... this isn't happening. This CANNOT BE HAPPENING! I looked at Lukas, fighting back tears as he squinted hard at me, like he was trying to identify me.

"No. Should I?" That did it.

"OH MY GOD! MOM!" I cried and the tears flowed down my cheeks as I backed into the hallway against the wall, my whole body shaking with disbelief. It felt like my heart was breaking into a million pieces and all I could think was Why couldn't Trent be here to help me through this? Even after hearing how he truly felt for me, he was still my closest and best friend. "MOM! MOM! MOM!" I screamed tears pouring over my eyes, probably looking like a mental patient to Lukas. His expression turned from confused to scared to concerned. I sobbed my eyes out. How could my best friend, whom I thought I loved, forget me!? I thought of all the memories I had stuffed in that little box labeled 'Lucky' in my suitcase. I thought of all the walls I had built around my emotions so I didn't get attached to anyone, until Trent had come and broken through. I thought about all the emotions I had saved for Lukas, instead of opening my heart to new people...like Trent. I thought of the lucky rabbits foot I had kept by my bedside for comfort, knowing there was a little piece of Lucky next to me.

But it was all a lie.

He doesn't even remember who I am.

I clutched my chest, trying to breathe normally again, but the pain in my chest from what I assume was my heart breaking was overwhelming. My mom soon came barreling up the stairs, concern etched in her features. "Tessy? Tessy what happend!?" She whipped around to Lukas. "What did you do!? WHAT HAPPENED!?" She demanded. Lukas stared at her, wide eyed as Aunt Lucy stumbled up behind my mother. The sobs shook my body and I pointed a shaky finger at Luke.

"He-he doesn't remember us, Mom. He doesn't remember me. Lucky, tell me you're joking. It's me, it's Tess! Come on Lucky! You're my best friend!" I nearly screamed and he took a step back, his hands held up to calm me down.

"Why do you keep calling me Luck-?"

"WHAT!? No....nononononononono!!!!! Don't even finish that sentence!" I growled and stepped forward, poking him in the chest. "I-I loved you Lukas. I moved away twelve years ago, and I have loved you since! I sat in my room, missing you and YOU FORGET ME!? HELL NO! I WILL make you remember me, Lukas Kennedy, if it's the last thing I do! You will remember Tessy Gooding!" And with that I whirled around and stalked downstairs. As I swung open the front door, I smacked into something hard. "OUT OF THE W- OH MY GOSH UNCLE HARRY!" I swung my arms around the familiar man who had taught me a lot through my childhood.

"Wha-? Is that Tessy? My god Tessy! How have you been!? How is it you're here?" He picked me up and swung me around before putting me back down, rubbing his back. I poked him.

"I'm not the same little girl I was when I left. No more lifting me, old man! We moved back Uncle Harry! But er- I don't know how long I'm staying here. I might move back to Cali after my b-day...which is this Saturday." I muttered.

"Well gee! How old you gonna be Tessy?"

"18."

"EIGHTEEN!? You're growing up so fast Tessy! You most definitely are not that little girl next door anymore." He ruffled my hair and I smiled at him. Commotion from the stairs snapped me back to reality and I scooted past him through the door.

"Er- I gotta go Harry. See you later!" I called and bolted out the door before he could stop me. I rushed to my room and whipped out my cell phone, immediatly dialing Kiki's number.

Yo yo yo this is Kiki's phone! I'm probably out partyin' so leave a message after the beep! Kikis annoying voice mail played through the phone and I growled. "Dammit Kiki! Where are you when I need you! You tell me to call, and you don't even answer. You're a great friend. Call me back!" I hung up and dialed Trent's number.

Hey There! This is Trent! Leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! I sighed and hung up before leaving a message. I figured a guy isn't exactly the best person to talk about another guy to, especially since Trent doesn't know much about Lukas and there's the whole thing where he's in love with me. So I dialed my last hope. It rang once. Twice.

"Hello?"

"Ivy! Thank god! Where the hell are your friends when you need them!?"

"Sissy? Trent and Kiki went to a party with a bunch of other people."

"And you didn't go?"

"Nah, I'm studying."

"Nerd."

"Whatever."

"Listen Ivy. You know how I told you about Lucky and all...?"

"Yeah...Oh gosh! What happened!?" Ivy squealed.

"He uh- he...didn't remember me." I whispered and I could feel the tears rushing back.

"Oh my gosh, Sissy. That's horrible! What did you do?"

"I- uh...kinda had and emotional breakdown in front of him." That was met with silence until Ivy finally answered with a simple,

"Oh."

"Yeah...oh god! He probably thinks I'm crazy now!"

"Probably..."

"IVY! REALLY!? Not helping!" I snapped and she giggled a little.

"Sorry, sorry...what are you going to do?" She asked in a hushed voice. I scrunched up my face with determination.

"I'm going to make him remember me. And he's gonna wish he never forgot me!"

"Tessy, don't do anything stupid."

"Oh I will. Bye Ivy." I promised and I heard her sigh.

"Yeah bye, Sis." Then the dial tone buzzed and I flung my cell onto my bed as I collapsed onto it. I rolled over and and stared at the wall. I sighed and sat up on my bed. I caught a glimpse of my guitar out of the corner of my eye and I smiled. I could always find comfort in my music. Even though my heart felt like it was being stomped on right now, there was a strange part of me that was glad he hadn't remembered me. It made my decision about Trent so much easier.

Wow, that's so...AWFUL!

How could I just give up on Lucky like that!?

He gave up on you first. My mind reminded me and I felt sick to my stomach. I grabbed my guitar and ran out of the house, ignoring my mom and Aunt Lucy in our kitchen. I stepped outside as the sun began to set over the fields, turning them a beautiful golden color. I took in a sharp breath, breathing in the fresh scent of the evening in the country. It was certainly different from the smell of the city. A pang of sadness hit me when I though of Cali and I took another breath as I hesitantly walked towards the only thing that proved I did indeed spend my childhood here with Lukas.

The tire swing.

I dragged my feet cautiously over to the old swing. The rope looked like it had been replaced which actually relieved me. I had been slightly worried that when I sat down on the swing, it would snap off and I'd end up breaking something. Like my leg. I grinned at the familiar swing and I frowned slightly when I realized I was too big to fit in the tire now. So I sighed and climbed on top of the tire, clinging to the rope with my legs. I adjusted my guitar on my lap and stared at the setting sun before starting to strum. I started to play the only song that could complete my pity party right now. I took a breath and started to sing.

"I don't think that passenger seat, has ever looked this good to me. He tells me about his night, and I count the colors in his eyes." I sang softly and stared at the sunset while strumming my guitar.

"He'll never fall in love he swears, as he runs his fingers through his hair. I'm laughing 'cause I hope he's wrong. And I don't it ever crossed his mind, he tells a joke, I fake a smile, that I know all his favorite songs..." I shook my head and started to play a little louder.

"And I could tell you, his favorite color's green. He loves to argue, born on the seventeeth. His sister's beautiful, he has his father's eyes and if you ask me if I love him...I'd lie."

"He looks around the room, innocently overlooks the truth. Shouldn't a light go on? Doesn't he know, that I've had him memorized for so long?" I sighed and again increased the power in my voice and the volume of my strumming.

"He sees everything black and white, never let nobody see him cry. I don't let nobody see me wishing he was mine."

"I could tell you, his favorite color's green. He loves to argue, born on the seventeenth. His sister's beautiful, he has his father's eyes and if you ask me if I love him...I'd lie." I felt tears build up and a few streaked down my cheek. I ignored them and kept playing, not wanting to miss a strum. I continued on with renewed confidence and sang like I was on stage.

"He stands there then walks away, my God if I could only say, I'm holding every breath for you..." I sighed and the tears kept coming but I held my voice steady.

"He'd never tell you, but he can play guitar. I think he can see through, everything but my heart. First thought when I wake up, is 'My God, he's beautiful.' So I put on my make-up, and pray for a miracle... Yes I could tell you, his favorite color's green. He loves to argue, oh and it kills me. His sister's beautiful, he has his father's eyes and if you ask me if I love him...if you ask me if I love him....I'd Lie." I finished the song and silent tears pured down my cheeks. I stared up at the now starry sky and smiled slightly. "I miss you Lucky." I whispered. I suddenly heard some footsteps behind me and I whipped around, ungracefully ending up on my rear after falling off the tire swing. "Who-who's there?" I gripped my guitar, dreading the thought that I'd have to hurt it by using it as a weapon.

"Tessy?" A soft, somewhat familiar voice whispered. "Miss?" My eyes widened as Lukas stepped out of the shadows and looked at me and I was shocked to see the admiration and awe in his eyes.

"Luck-Lukas?" I whispered back and he nodded. I quickly stood up, fumbling with my words. "I-I'm sorry. Did I disturb you? I didn't mean t-"

"Tessy." He cut me off coming over and standing a few inches away, his blue eyes searching my face. I blushed and realized he was calling me by my name. Even if it wasn't his nickname for me. Then I remembered how I'd screamed it at his face and I looked away. I gasped lightly as he wiped away a few stray tears on my cheeks. He sighed and frowned, studying my face, as if searching for something. "I-I don't remember you." My heart dropped at that and more tears drifted down my face. He closed his eyes briefly then opened them and I stared back as if he were looking into my soul (I know it's corny, but that's how it felt.) "But that was amazing and I'd like you to help me...remember." He took my hand in his and I stared up at him. Why did this feel...wrong? Like something wasn't there. But this was Lucky...well his body. I'd help bring back his spirit and our friendship. Then it was like a light bulb went off in my head and I gasped in realization. Luke looked bewildered. "Wha-what? What happened?" A smile spread across my face and I nearly jumped for joy. "Am I missing something here?" I shook my head.

"I'll see you later tonight. Trust me." And with that I ran off, leaving him standing there, guessing what I was planning. I smiled again. This was gonna be perfect.

~:~:~:~:~

I glanced at the clock and a grin made it's way onto my face. Midnight. Perfect. I rolled out of my bed and slipped out the box labeled 'Lucky' from under my bed. This was my only hope. The only solid proof I had of our friendship. Everything in this box was remanants of our childhood. I swallowed and took a deep breath. This had to work. I picked up the box and shoved it in a backpack that I slung over my shoulder. I quietly made my way over to my window and opened it. I stared at Lukas' window, only a few feet away and I took a few Skittles out of my bag and started to throw them at the closed window. Toss. Clink. Toss. Clink. Toss. Clink. Toss. "OW! What the hell?" I beamed but soon regained my serious exterior.

"Lukas! Get out of the way! Leave the window open!" I hissed and I saw the figure in the window move out of the way. I took the backpack off and carefully chucked it into the window. Then I stepped onto the small ledge under my window and cautiously stepped over to Lukas' window. I slipped inside and fixed my top and and picked up the bag. I raised my eyebrows at Lukas' shocked expression. "What? I used to do that all the time!" I frowned and looked around at the room. I hadn't gotten to see it when I had my, um, meltdown. It hadn't changed much, it was just more...teenagery. Clothes were sprawled everywhere and a computer was crammed onto a messy desk in the corner. I turned to look at Lukas who was watching me and my eyes widened. He was only wearing a pair of white boxers.  I pointed at them. "Uhm, Lukas. Put some pants on." I said bluntly and he seemed to snap out of it because his face tinted pink and he ran to what I assumed was his closet. I giggled and plopped down on the unmade bed, looking around. I spotted a guitar pick on the bedside table and looked around for a guitar but couldn't see one. Hmm, interesting. Lukas cleared his throat snapping me out of my reverie and I shielded my eyes jokingly. "Is it safe to look now, or are my poor eyes going to be scarred for life when I look at you?" I heard him chuckle and he removed my hands. His hands were warm and he bent over close to my face.

"It's safe." He grinned and I quirked an eyebrow as I looked down at his body. He still wasn't wearing a shirt but he had pulled on some jeans. My mouth watered at his gorgeous body and I had to force my self to peel my eyes away.

"My poor, poor eyes." I joked and Lukas' face morphed into mock hurt.

"Ouch! What's wrong with my body? I know you love it." He smirked and I laughed.

"Well I can see your ego has inflamed massively since I left." I shook my head but his eyes turned serious.

"Yeah...so why are you in my room at..." He glanced at the clock. "Around midnight?" I pulled my backpack around and unzipped it, pulling out the box.

"This." I stared up at him and his eyes filled with confusion.

"Lucky? Why DO you keep calling me that?" A lump formed in my throat but I swallowed it and shook my head.

"I can't believe you don't remember..." I muttered and opened the box. He must've heard me because he sighed loudly and rubbed his eyes.

"I'm trying, Tessy. I-I don't know how I managed to forget someone like..." He trailed off.

"Me?"

"Yeah."

"Well, I'm nothing special." I sighed and dug through the box. He laughed softly and I looked up at him. "What?"

"Well from what I heard, that statement is not one bit true." He smiled showing off his dimples and I blushed. I prayed that the room was dark enough for him not to see it. "You're an amazing musician, Tessy." He stated and glanced over at me. I didn't look up from the box because I was blushing like crazy now.

"Um, thanks. I-I didn't really know anyone was listening. I usually don't play for people anymore." My mind drifted back to California. I had been in a band with Trent, Kiki, and Ivy. I know, Ivy in a band! Gasp! But she was the bassist. Kiki played electric guitar, Trent played drums, and I played guitar and was lead singer. It was called Misfitz and we had to end it after a bad gig. I sighed at the memory and continued to dig through the box. "AHA!" I gasped as I found the objects I was looking for. I gathered the three items in my hand and placed the box off to the side. I kicked off my shoes and crossed my legs on his bed, turning to face him fully. I swept my hair up into a messy bun and pinned it up with a pencil I found in the backpack. He smirked at me and I stuck my tongue out at him. I turned to him and opened his hand.

The first thing I stuck in his hand was picture of us when we had gotten all dressed up for an Easter party the Kennedys were having. I pointed at him. "That's you," I slid my finger over to me. "And that's me. Do remember this?" He frowned at the picture and traced his finger over it.

"We have this picture somewhere." He mumbled and squinted at the picture like it was going to help him see it better. Moonlight poured in the window and I studied his face as he examined the picture. He pointed at it again and looked up at me. "This is you?" I nodded solemnly and he frowned. "Why don't I remember any of this..." He shook his head and I picked up the next item. The rabbit's foot. I stroked it and took the picture from him, replacing it with the rabbit's foot. He stared at it and his eyes nearly bugged out of his head. "I KNOW THIS!" He cried out and leaped off the bed. I leaped up and tackled him to the bed again, slapping a hand over his mouth.

"SHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! DO YOU WANT TO WAKE UP THE WHOLE NEIGHBORHOOD!?" I hissed at him quietly but viciously through my teeth. He stared at me and I became very aware of the position we were in. I quickly rolled off and glared at him. He sat up and glanced at me apologetically before turning his attention back to the rabbit's foot.

"How did you get this? I lost it like-"

"Seven years ago? Yeah, that was the day I moved away. You gave it to me and told me 'Since it was lucky, and you were my Lucky, it would always remind me of you.' And it did. I kept it on my bedside table for twelve years and now I am seventeen, well eighteen in a week, and I am returning it to you like you made me promise." I layed down on the bed and stared at the ceiling as I explained the day I moved to him. I felt the bed dip next to me as he laid down too.

"Wow." Was all he said.

"Yeah. I can be loyal when I want to." I joked and he nudged me playfully.

"I believe that." He smiled at me and I turned to look at him and withheld a gasp at how close he was to me. I stared into his blue eyes as he stared back into my green ones. I reluctantly turned away and stared at the ceiling.

"Well, you should. I never forgot you Lucky. You were- and still are- my best friend." I looked back at him and smiled gently at him. He stared back, an unreadable expression in his eyes. I thought he started to lean forward and my heart began to pound in my chest. I held up the last object in between us. A key. He stopped and took the key out of my hand.

"What is this?" He stared at the key and sat back up on the bed. I pulled myself to sitting position to lean over him.

"Well, I'll show you." I took his hand and pulled him towards the window. The breeze blew in and covered my bare legs in goosebumps. I was still in my PJ shorts and tanktop. I didn't risk making noise while changing. And I was too excited to see Lucky again. I climbed out and leaped back through my house, beckoning him to follow. He hesitated but soon followed after me. My heart skipped a beat. Lucky was in my house again! Yay! I put a finger to my lips and crept downstairs, Luke following close behind. We successfully got to the door without waking my mom, which didn't surprise me. She sleeps like a rock. I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding and turned back to Lukas.

"Why didn't we just use my front door?"

"Do you really need to ask? Aunt Lucy can hear a fly land on the wall! We would've had no chance of escaping to the front door. My mom, on the other hand, wouldn't wake up if a plane crashed into her room!" I explained and his face scrunched up.

"It's scary how much you remember."

"Thank you. I always enjoy being called scary." I replied sarcastically and rolled my eyes.

"That's not what I-"

"I know." I laughed. "Come on. Let's go."

"Where exactly are we going?" Luke asked as he followed cautiously behind me. I flicked his nose, smiling.

"You'll see."

~:~:~:~

"Can I look now?"

"Stop whining! I have to tear down all the weeds."

"Weeds?"

"Just hold on."

"Tessy, where are we?

"There we go! Okay, you can look now." I turned and watched Lukas open his eyes.

"Tessy, you have to take your hand off my eyes too."

"Ah! Right." I joked and removed my hand from his eyes. He glared at me before turning to what was behind me. His eyes widened in recognition and he reached forward and touched the old wood of the gate.

"Oh my god Tessy..." He trailed off and stared at me wide eyed. I beamed back at him.

"Well, what are you waiting for? Stick the key in the lock and open it!" I eagerly coaxed him. He quickly whipped out the key and fumbled with the lock, but he soon got it open and he hesitated. I grabbed his hand and pulled him into the little garden. I smiled at the familiar rows of flowers, all dead now, but still held a sense of magic about it. The little fountain in the center was dry, but the whole place held so mant good memories.

"Tessy, this is the garden I used to play in when I was little." Lukas stated as he gripped my hand. I squeezed his hand, tears coming to my eyes as I happily gazed around.

"Yeah, I know." I whispered and and looked at Lukas as he marveled around at the garden. I pulled on his hand. "Come on, let's walk around." He nodded and gripped my hand tighter, pulling me close to him. It felt good just to hang out with him again, even if he didn't remember me. It was strange though...he remembered everything from his childhood, except me. It was almost like...nah, never mind.

We wandered around the garden and I ran my hand over a still blossoming, pink rose bush. "It's amazing how this one little flower could survive all these years." I marveled and ran my hand over it's sweet petals. I froze slightly as Lukas wrapped his arm around my waist and rested his chin on my shoulder. His scent filled my senses. He smelled of coffee and...hmmm... I guess it's Axe. I couldn't help but think of Trent's sherberty scent. One that had comforted me for so many years. Wait, why am I thinking about Trent? Lucky has his arm around me! Score!

"Yeah, amazing." He whispered and his warm breath blew on my neck. I gulped lightly making sure it wasn't audible and turned around to face Lukas. His face was inches away from mine. Fireflies lit up the garden around us and I stared at Lukas' gorgeous blue eyes. My mind drifted to Trent's warm hazel eyes...no! Stop it! This isn't about Trent right now. Sort out your feelings first! He stared back at me and slowly began leaning in. I took a sharp intake of breath and closed my eyes. His breath blew across my lips and paused there for a second before pressing lightly into my own lips. His kiss was sweet and gentle...it was wrong. I tried kissing him back but...it felt like I was kissing my brother. No! This wasn't how it was supposed to be! There were supposed to be fireworks and chills! I turned so I was kissing him full on and his tongue licked my bottom lip. I automatically opened my mouth, allowing his tongue to slip in. I thought it would help the fire ignite. But...nothing! This was awful! It wasn't that he was a bad kisser, it was just to much like kissing family. I pulled away and stared at his eyes. "Wow Tessy. That was amazing." My heart froze. He felt fireworks? Why didn't I!?

"Yeah." I breathed and was suprised how convincing I sounded. He grinned and leaned in to kiss me again. I hesitantly kissed him back, hoping for a spark. What I got was more of a fizzle. Okay, so it wasn't exactly like kissing family, but I didn't feel the same as I did when I kissed...Trent. But, despite all the bad signs, I kissed Lukas back. It wasn't uncomfortable, just different. I pulled away and leaned into Lukas.

"Tessy?"

"Hmm?"

"Earlier today did you...er...?"

"Did I what?"

"Did you mean it when you said you loved me?" My heart stopped beating again. Did I? Or had I just clung to his memory by convincing myself I was in love with him?

"I did." Was my answer, but I wasn't sure if that meant I did say it or I loved him before and now didn't. Luke remained silent and we walked over to an old bench and sat down on it. Lukas scooted close to me and I rested my head on his shoulder, our fingers entwined. I heard him sigh and I looked up at him. "What's wrong?" He looked down at me and kissed my forehead lightly. That time a shiver made it's way down my spine. Whoa, a reaction. Strange...

"It's just...I wish so much that I remembered you. I thought I had just met you today but I also feel like I've known you forever. Wow, that made no sense at all." He ran his fingers through his hair and I stared up at him.

"Sure it did. You forgot about me..." I trailed off and swallowed. His hand drew comforting circles on my hand and I closed my eyes for a second before continuing. "But subconsciously, you never let go of me. We were both pretty torn up the day I moved. I saw you cry."

"No way."

"Yeah, you cried over me."

"That's impossible. I never cry."

"Well sorry to burst your gigantic male ego bubble, but you did." I laughed and he rested his head on mine. I stared at the moon and felt my eyes starting to droop. "Lucky, I-I should go home now. I-" I cut myself off with a huge yawn and rubbed my eyes tiredly. He stood up and smiled at me.

"Sure. It's not like we won't see each other again. We ARE neighbors. By the way are you coming to school on Monday?" He asked. I thought about it and nodded.

"Sure, I guess." He smiled again and I stood up. We walked out of the garden and I locked it behind us. "Here." I handed him the key. "You keep it." I smiled reasurringly and he looked at the key then back to me. He leaned in a gave me another gentle kiss.

"You're amazing, you know that?" He whispered and my heart thudded in my chest.

"Um, thanks. Hey listen, um, I'm having a birthday party next Saturday. You can come and bring all your friends if you want. I want to have a huge party, but I don't know anyone here. My friends are flying in from Cali but there's only three of them, so you can invite anyone you want. Hopefully I'll meet some people when I go to school, but the offer stands." I quickly blurted out and he seemed to consider it.

"Yeah, I'll come. I'll bring peole, don't worry." He flashed me a grin and I smiled back at him. We walked back to my house and he kissed my forehead before disappearing to his house. I grabbed the backpack I had left under my window and tucked it under my bed before climbing in and falling into a deep sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.4K 1.7K 64
You think being a teenager is hard? Try being 16 year old Tess. She has a mom that is out of her mind, a brother that she wants to throw off the Broo...
1K 87 34
"I pray that the last time I said goodbye was not meant forever." *** Growing up with a single parent with not much money to spare wasn't particularl...
2.4K 122 36
Anyone who has grown up in a home filled with volatility and sinister secrets or who has seen it will agree that child abuse is wrong and repulsive...
758 69 22
She only wanted to be accepted. All she wanted was for her parents to treat her as an equal. But no; they decide to kick her out of the house instead...