Professor Layton and the Ange...

By EffervescentElixir

The highly anticipated new adventure in GentleAaron's series. 'Angel's Prophecy' takes place two years after... More

Foreword
Prologue
Part One: The Budding Inspectors
A Trip to America
Missing; presumed Archaeologists
The Sting
Never Alone
Flight Over London
Time to Celebrate?
So Long, Not Goodbye
Confrontation; Fighting Darkness
Return to the City of Miracles
A Gentleman In Need
Against Impossible Odds
Stumbling
The Turnabout Investigators
The Next Piece of the Puzzle
Mounting the Offensive
Uncovering Secrets
Losing Heart
The Past Never Truly Leaves Us
Clive's Remorse
The Duty of Angels
The Wright Call
The Turnabout Demon - Part One
The Turnabout Demon - Part Two
The Turnabout Demon - Part Three
The Turnabout Demon - Part Four
The Turnabout Demon - Part Five
An Inferno Affair
Part Two: Old Faces
The Angel's Message
The Turnabout Demon - Part Six
The Turnabout Demon - Part Seven
The Turnabout Demon - Part Eight
The Turnabout Demon - Part Nine
The Turnabout Demon - Part Ten: Revelations and Farewells
Fear on the Mind
The Angel's Pursuit
Into a Trap?
The Angel's Prophecy
The Closely Held Feelings
The Final Puzzle: Eye of Terror
Thames' Up
Steel and Fire; Fangs and Wings
A World at Odds
Thoughts Unwavering
The Bell Tolls
Hershel and Luke
The Season's Promise
A New Era
Epilogue
Afterword
Coming Soon - New Project!!!
Last Update!

The Lavender Greeting

426 17 8
By EffervescentElixir

-Fourteen Months Earlier-

Hershel had once seen a little girl run at full speed to embrace her relative whom she clearly had not seen for quite some time. Such an embrace he did not expect with Luke as he walked out of his flight and into the waiting lounge, but just to see his old friend would have been the welcoming sight. As it was, he felt his heart flutter a little as he caught sight of Brenda standing amidst the waiting crowds.

She moved to embrace him then, and after they broke apart from each other, he grinned enthusiastically at her.

"I did not expect a welcoming party, I must say."

"Well, we couldn't let you stumble your way around such a big and foreign place. Not after the tightly-pressed streets of London."

"Actually, I have been to America once before on an Archaeological exhibition, though I must admit this part of the country is new to me."

They both shared grins and then stepped aside quickly as a pair behind them almost collided with them. Moving out of the path of incoming passengers, disgruntled after a long flight, they walked together, Brenda offering to carry Layton's bags, however he shook his head.

"It is the duty of every gentleman to carry their own bags. I could not put my burden on you."

"Burden?" Brenda half-scoffed, half-laughed. "Nonsense! You must be tired. Besides, we women can carry bags too you know."

Hershel blushed then, and before he could protest further, Brenda wrestled the bags from his arms.

They walked in silence for a bit, moving through checkpoints until they stopped by a little café in the corner of the airport. Brenda ordered Hershel to take a seat while she went to get them some tea.

"Would it be insulting if I got you coffee?" She had teased, nudging him softly in the arm.

"Of course not. I have no objection to coffee, however, I find that tea is-"

"A gentleman's drink?"

"Precisely."

She winked at him then, and before he knew it, he was pushed down onto a nearby table whilst she went to get their refreshments. As he sat with relief, he looked over to Brenda, noticing just how much had changed. Of course, her hair was the same mix of oak brown with a soft green tinge to it, however, that was really the only similarity. Her hair, once long with a curl, was now cut shorter, resting nicely on her shoulders. Instead of a lavender turtle neck, she wore a simple cyan blouse. Simple heels were replaced by more expensive navy blue shoes, and her trousers were a creamy beige colour.

Her skin was now darker, tanned from the warmer American sun. Really, Hershel had only recognised her from her face, her features greatly resembling that of her son.

A yawn escaped his lips and he felt his eyes grow a little groggy. There would be time enough for rest later, he told himself.

Brenda returned with a little place number and as she took a seat opposite him, Hershel only now noticed the delicate aroma about her – the scent of lavender. Perhaps she did still keep an aspect of her old life. He did know that shade of purple was a particular favourite of hers.

"It is good to see you again, Hershel."

"Likewise. It feels like quite the while since we last spoke, yet in reality, it has only been six months."

"That is a lifetime for Luke. He went on endlessly about you of course." A small hint of rose entered her cheeks and her head fell slightly. Her next words were softer. Melancholic even. "My, did that boy adore you. You were like a second father to him. You are an amazing person, Hershel, and I still sometimes find it hard to believe that I am friends with you."

Hershel's cheeks grew warm once more, but he only bowed his head a little.

"I thank you for your kind words, but truly, I am not any greater than anyone else."

"Of course, as humble as ever. I fear you will even try and talk down saving the world again only four months ago."

Hershel offered a faint smile then.

"I did not save the world. I assure you, no one would have come to harm. The villain behind the whole illusionary ordeal was simply stricken with grief. He only wished for good. His methods were just a little... extreme."

"As is the case." A young woman appeared then with two steaming cups of tea, and placed them before the two. Hershel took a grateful sip and grinned with pleasure. After another moment, Brenda reached over and placed her hand on Hershel's arm, which had been resting on the table.

"I read about the basics, but it was young Flora who told me the finer details. I extend my sympathies. No one should have to deal with such things once more."

Hershel gulped then, frozen in uncertainty. He quickly recovered, however. She did not know about the Claire of his visions. He had not even told Flora about such things.

"You and Flora have been in contact?" he inquired, content to change subjects.

"Oh yes. She writes every so often. Mostly to Luke, of course – the strong bond they share, but sometimes to me and Clark. At first, it was all the time. She adores Luke. And he her."

Hershel felt a flush of guilt then. His only communication with Luke since they had left would be seeing him now. As far as Luke was concerned, Hershel had not even seen his letter yet.

Brenda saw the thoughts swim through his head, written plainly across his eyes, and her hand gripped his tighter.

"Do not fret, Hershel. I am sure you've your reasons. In Luke's case, he tried writing many times, but would always throw away his letters, claiming they weren't good enough." She released his hand then, now reaching to sip her own cup of tea. "Besides," she added, smiling fondly at him. "I think a long period without contact makes a surprise reunion that much sweeter. I fear you may give him a heart attack!"

She burst into laughter then at her own joke, and Hershel joined in on the laughter. Finally, as the laughter died down, he broached the subject of her presence here.

"Could Clark not make it?"

"I'm afraid not. He has been fighting endlessly for months now to gain a spot on the Archaeology Society's Board. Even with all his experience, complications have arisen." She sighed then, staring down at her fingers. "Well, it's a long story. We can get into it another time. Let's finish up our tea so we can get you home as quickly as possible. I can see you struggling to keep your eyes open now."

Hershel forcibly held his eyes steady then, not realising that they had been flickering.

"It's alright," she laughed, sipping her tea once more. "It would be hard to sleep anyway, especially if Luke is at you like a puppy."

Hershel smiled at that, and took another gulp of tea, feeling glad of the tea's spurring effect on his body.

"How is life in America?" he inquired, hoping asking questions would further help to keep his eyes from becoming drowsy once more.

"That will be better answered when we have all of us together. Clark should be back soon after we get to the house, and then we can have a proper reunion. Come on, let's finish here and be on our way!"

****

They drove the scenic route, though with a few shortcuts, she told him. Palm trees were scattered at various points, and Hershel smiled as he passed large lakes with water that sparkled like diamonds. As the drive stretched on, however, he felt his connection to the waking world slipping, and he had to rest his head against the window. Brenda had been occasionally narrating, though the moment Hershel's head hit the window, she fell silent and began to glance over, smiling when finally his eyes drifted close. A little rest would help, though even without it, she felt that Hershel really would not have missed out on a long catch up with Luke.

It was amusing she thought to herself then. Hershel really was a part of their family. His visit was like that of an uncle visiting. Really, she couldn't believe this was even happening. And what's more, she knew Hershel would solve the real problem here. And that wasn't the mystery Luke had promised. Oh no, she knew Hershel's timing was impeccable. One way or another, he would solve more than just a simple mystery. He would help their son, for all was not right in Luke's life. And only this mystery could be solved by the best in the business. It helps that that person is as close as Hershel is. Yes, he would help their son find true happiness again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.6K 3K 20
๐ž๐ฎ๐ง๐จ๐ข๐š | ฮตแฝ”ฮฝฮฟฮนฮฑ ๐ง๐จ๐ฎ๐ง. ๐š ๐ฉ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ž ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ฐ๐ž๐ฅ๐ฅ - ๐›๐š๐ฅ๐š๐ง๐œ๐ž๐ ๐ฆ๐ข๐ง๐, ๐š ๐ ๐จ๐จ๐ ๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ข๐ซ๐ข๐ญ. "๐›๐ž๐š๐ฎ๐ญ๐ข๐Ÿ๐ฎ๐ฅ ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ง๐ค๐ข๏ฟฝ...
481 2 11
โ€ขHello everyone! So, I'm doing a Professor Layton stories for now own. I'm still with the ace attorney story but don't worry I will finish the story...
8 1 1
Once again My Sonic is back, and better than ever. In celebration of the one-year anniversary of the first ever Where's My Sonic? we present you Wher...
2.8K 189 28
A chance encounter on a northbound train leads Professor Layton and his young friend Luke to once again team up with the hapless lawyer Phoenix Wrigh...