Hades

Von _caitlinemma

Evie Autumn, like almost every other nineteen year old was just your average, unassuming, everyday girl. She... Mehr

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty-Five

86K 3.6K 343
Von _caitlinemma

Chapter Twenty-Five

"Wakey wakey, Evie!" A low, melodic voice flutters around my head, dancing around in the air like a butterfly. I groan, burying my head further under my duvet. The butterfly grows bolder, even going so far as shaking my shoulder. "Stop hiding from me! You must wake up; it's a very exciting day!"

"For you." I yawn, snuggling even further under the covers. "I do the sleep still."

"No, you don't. I'm under strict orders to disallow that." The butterfly chirps. Several blissful moments of silent pass, before the covers are maliciously yanked off me. I whimper and curl up into a tight ball. "Oh, stop being such a baby! Get up!"

I peel open an eye and glare sleepily at her. "Go to hell, Calla."

"Already have. And it involves having to deal with royal pains in the ass. Guess which one is torturing me right now." Calla raises an eyebrow and pulls the covers down even further. "Get up."

"No, I don't want to." I whine, dragging out every syllable. "Getting up means work, and I'm too tired to do work."

"Oh you poor thing, having to do the job you agreed to do." She simpers. She ignores the stink-eye I throw in her direction, sighing in exasperation at my silence. "Evie, stop being obtuse. If you don't get up now, someone you care about a lot is going to be very disappointed, and I don't want to be the person who bears the brunt of that disappointment."

"Hades?" I sit up abruptly. "Are you talking about Hades?"

"It's a secret." Calla shrugs, though her nonchalance is betrayed by the twinkle in her eyes. "Now, would you please get up so I can dress you for your surprise?"

'Surprise? But I'm supposed to be in the judgement room today." My brows furrow. "Hades said that I need to be spending every moment training because—"

"Well, Hades gave me different instructions this morning, which is why you're supposed to be coming with me, not going to the judgement room. So come on!" Calla retorts, grabbing my arm and tugging me forward. She groans loudly when I obtusely lean back, purposefully making it harder for her to pull me to my feet. "God, why are you so stubbornly tired all of a sudden? You're usually awake by now; deities aren't supposed to be this exhausted!"

I yawn loudly and stretch my arms above my head until I feel my back pop!. "Hades says it's because I'm using my powers all the time. Apparently we only ever need to sleep when we over-exert ourselves."

"Well maybe you need to stop over-exerting yourself." Calla replies, heading over to my wardrobe. "And also get up."

I sigh and begrudgingly swing my legs over the edge of the bed. "No, I can't. I have to. I need to."

"Why?" Calla's befuddled tones echo from the depths of my wardrobe.

"Because I need to be ready to help Hades." I reply shortly. "I need to be ready so I can stand at his side and support him with whatever it is he's preparing to fight."

The jarring sounds of the coat-hangers being rifled through stop suddenly as Calla stills. "What makes you think that there is something to fight?"

"Don't play coy with me Call. I'm not stupid." I frown, rubbing my bare arms with my hands. "I know there's something going on, and I know the situation is getting worse every day, but Hades still won't tell me what's going on, even though he always disappears at the same time every day and I don't see him again until the next morning. I know he's not judging souls, because he looks as exhausted as I feel, and I know he's not hanging out with other people in the palace, because, well, he's Hades. He's doing something that's draining his powers, and he's worrying, a lot, and that combination doesn't exactly spell happy days. Something is going on, and everyone seems to know what that something is except for me. So yes, I think there's something to fight, and I'm going to keep thinking that, and training for that, until I know more."

No response. I hear a soft exhale, before Calla returns with a dress in her hand and a fake smile on her face.

"Here. This is the one."

I sigh, folding my arms over my chest. "Calla, come on. Don't change the subject. That's not fair."

Calla holds the dress even closer to me. "Go. Get changed. You'll be late for your surprise if you keep bellyaching."

"I'm not bellyaching. I'm trying to be supportive, but nobody is letting me."

"That sounds like bellyaching to me." Calla deadpans. My gaze narrows into slits. She rolls her eyes at me and tosses the dress in my direction. "That look might work on Hades, but it doesn't work on me. Now go and get dressed already, before you pop an eye."

I barely have time to catch the dress before it hits the floor and, throwing a scowl at her retreating back, head into the bathroom with a huff. Great, even Calla knows what's going on, and I still don't. I almost feel like I've been transported back six months. Almost.

"What's this big surprise anyway?" I call out over my shoulder, clicking the door shut behind myself.

"It wouldn't be a surprise if I told you, Evie." I can practically hear Calla rolling her eyes as her muffled voice filters through the door. "You just need to trust me; I know this is the dress for it."

"The dress for what?"

"Nice try. Have you got it on?"

"Hold on." Chuckling at her impatience, I step into the dress and pull the pools of the soft chiffon up, my fingers awkwardly scrabbling to zip the back up. Straightening up, I smooth out the skirts and let my eyes run over my reflection. I had to hand it to Calla; she really knew how to pick a dress. Hugging my figure is a sunset-orange dress, with pastel green and blue flowers scrawled all over the flowing skirts and elegant little sleeves adorning the shoulders. The 1950's cut fits me perfectly, with the orange matching the highlights in my strawberry-blonde hair and the flowers bringing out the green of my eyes. I grin at my reflection, unable to resist twirling around and letting the skirts flare out around me like a fan. I feel beautiful in it; I feel like a queen.

A soft knock sounds at my bathroom door, breaking through my trance.

"Evie?"

I freeze, my cheeks flaring up like a firetruck. "Hades? Is that you?"

"Well, for all you know, you could just be engaging in a discussion with a talking door. You will never truly know if I am who you suspect unless you open the door and confirm your suspicions."

I barely manage to cover my mouth before a snort of laughter escapes. Taking a deep breath, I shakily tuck my hair behind my ears and open the door. A smile spreads over my lips.

"Hi."

Hades doesn't respond at first, his gaze slowly washing over my appearance. The smile he finally gives me sends an undeniable warmth effervescing through my entire being.

"You look beautiful, Evie."

"Thank you." I duck my head shyly as my blush deepens. "So what's on the agenda today, my king? Are we going to go and investigate that talking door?"'

Hades chuckles, shaking his head.

"No. We are going to give you a much deserved break." He steps back and offers me his hand. That one, small gesture causes my smile to grow so big that it just about splits my cheeks. "I know how hard you have been working, and I know how hard you have found it keeping your questions restrained, so I have arranged a surprise as a thank you. Close your eyes."

My heart melts. Stepping forward, I grab his hand and close my eyes obediently. I feel a rush of wind buffet around me as the world warps in on itself, and, after a few awkward moments of frantically trying to keep my skirts down with my one free hand, the world stops spinning and Hades squeezes my fingers. I open my eyes, and can't help but gasp at the sight before me.

"Hades! We're not... we're not outside, are we?"

"No, we are not. I am sorry."

"Don't be sorry. This is perfect." I smile, pressing a soft kiss to his shoulder. My gaze wanders, drinking in the scenery around me as I take a step forward. Emerald green grass stretches out for as far as the eye can see, the long, stretching leaves of the gargantuan willow trees dancing in the light breeze as the sounds of the burbling brook that winds between the willow trees like an intricate braid, fill the air. "Where exactly are we?"

"The palace garden. If you turned around, you would see Cerberus and Pluto's living quarters." Hades points behind me with his spare hand. I follow his gaze to see the twin towering peaks of Cerberus and Pluto's houses, and when I squint, I pick out two furry black shapes playing in front of them. "They should not be disturbing us for a while. I have distracted them both with a group of souls who deserve to be tortured by two large idiotic animals for a while."

I laugh, though my smile wavers slightly. Hades brings my fingers up to his lips, placing a featherlight kiss to the palm of my hand.

"I thought you might appreciate a day relaxing here. No training, no practicing, no secrets. Just relaxing."

I stare at him, tears pricking the corners of my eyes as a golf ball-sized lump lodges in my throat. In that moment, I realise that I genuinely can't find the words to express my gratitude, so I settle for a tight, watery hug.

"It's perfect."

"For that then, I am glad." Hades smiles at me and leads me forward, past the towering willow-trees and over the crystal-clear brook to a small hill, where a picnic blanket, laden with my favourite foods and drinks, is lying in the sunshine.

I grin, glancing up at him excitedly. "You didn't."

"Do you like it?" From the way that his midnight-blue eyes sparkle, I know that he already knows the answer to his question. My grin grows for what feels like the millionth time in five minutes. It's like he's flipped a switch and become the Hades that I've missed for the past few months. The Hades that I...

Evie! No. Now is not the time. You can't—

"Evie?" Hades' questioning tone brings me crashing back to earth. He raises an eyebrow at me. "Is everything alright?"

Oh god. I almost just thought about saying that out loud, didn't I?

My cheeks burning, I clear my throat and shake my head. "Everything is perfect, Hades. I love it. Thank you."

Hades responds by pulling me down to the picnic blanket, tenderness tugging the corners of his lips up. I curl up next to him and sink into his open embrace, a contented smile spreading across my lips. I still can't believe that he's done all this for me, that his sweet side has finally made an appearance after all those months of aloofness, and that just makes me fall even more for him.

I feel his gaze land on me and look up, smiling at him. "What? What's wrong? Have I got something on my face?"

"No, of course not." He chuckles, handing me a slender flute of glittering champagne. "I just like it when you smile. It means I must have done something right."

I tilt my head to the side as I take a sip. "What do you mean by that?"

"Evie, I..." Hades cuts himself off, looking unusually awkward. He clears his throat and glances down, swirling the sparkling liquid around in the glass. "I know that I have been... reserved and distant, as of late, and I realise that may have caused you to think that I do not care, but—"

"Let me guess. Kezia's had a talk with you, hasn't she?" I ask wryly, finding his awkwardness incredibly endearing. Hades nods bashfully. I grin. "You're incredibly cute, you know that?"

Hades grimaces. "I am not sure I know how to answer that question."

I laugh, placing my drink on the grass next to me. "Hades, I never thought that you don't care. I've just been worried about you. I want to help, and it's killing me that you won't let me. But I know that you're trying to figure it all out on your own, because you're trying to protect me, so I'm trying to be understanding. I realise that it'll take time for you to come to terms with it all, and I—"

"Evie," Hades interrupts me by breezing his lips over mine for several blissful seconds. He cups my cheek and softly thumbs it, gazing deep into my eyes. My heart skips a beat. "If there is one thing that I know, it is that I do not struggle to come to terms with... it all."

I stare at him through wide eyes as my breath catches in my throat. My voice comes out barely above a whisper. "Really?"

Hades chuckles at the expression on my face and presses a kiss to my forehead. "Really, really. I really am sorry for how distracted and distant I have been lately, Evie. I know I am not the most expressive person in the Underworld, but I really do appreciate how supportive you have been over the past few months. I would hate for you to feel like I do not care, or that I do not notice what you are doing, because that is the complete opposite of the truth."

Even though I had suspected it already, the relief that courses through me when I hear him say those words is undeniable. I smile, and lean over to press my lips against his. Hades immediately responds with a passion that sends me careening over cloud nine, his fingers finding their way to the nape of my neck and tangling themselves in my hair. I wrap my arms around his neck and melt into him, my toes curling under as he deepens the kiss.

Okay, I take all my concerns and complaints back. If this is the reward I get for biting my tongue, then it's totally worth it.

"I'm sorry." Hades finally says, leaning his forehead against mine.

"What for?" I bite my lip, smirking up at him. "Being a good kisser?"

"No. I will not apologise for that." His eyes crinkle at the edges.

"Then hush." I place my finger on his lips. "It's okay, honestly. I said I would be supportive, and I meant that. I just..."

"You what?" Hades gently prompts me when I trail off.

I sigh. "It's killing me knowing how worried and stressed you are, Hades. I know you're used to doing this all alone, that you're not used to having someone around to help you, but that's not the case anymore. I'm here to help you, and to support you, and I just wish that you'd let me. It feels like everyone around here is able to help you except for me, and I hate that. I care about you so much Hades, and all I want is to prove that to you."

"Evie." This time it's Hades who sighs. He takes my hands in his, but not before softly massaging out the angry red patches my anxiety had littered all over the inside of my elbow. "You do not need to worry about me. I am only trying to—"

"Protect me. I know." I meet his gaze. "But who's protecting you?"

"I do not need protecting from anything, Evie." Hades smiles bemusedly. I give him a look.

"Hades, be serious." I chide. "You said so yourself, gods are only ever exhausted when they over-exert themselves, and you are looking more and more tired every time I see you. You may not think that you need protecting from anything, but have you thought that maybe you need protecting from yourself? You are going to die of exhaustion if you keep pushing yourself like this without asking for help from the people who can help you."

Hades pauses as he visibly mulls over my words. After a moment, a small, wry smile darts over his face.

"You know me a lot better than I give you credit for, agápi mou."

"I told you." I say softly. "I care about you a lot, Hades."

"And I am more the fool for not seeing that." Hades murmurs. He wraps his arm around me and pulls me closer. "But I see your point. I'm sorry, Evie."

"It's okay." I lean my head on his shoulder. "Just... promise me something?"

"What?"

"The next time something worries or stresses you, you actually tell me?"

"I promise." Hades surprises me by responding immediately, pressing a kiss to the top of my head.

I straighten, staring at him in shock. "Wait, really?"

"Yes, really." Hades replies bemusedly. "Why do you look so surprised?"

I sit up straighter. "Does that mean that you're going to tell me..."

"Soon." Hades promises. "But right now, I would much rather spend my time focusing on the most beautiful woman in the world."

"Aww." I coo, leaning over and pecking him on the lips. "Don't ever let Leia hear you say that."

"Why? I believe it to be true; she deserves to know the truth too."

I grin. "Can I be there with popcorn when you tell her?"

Hades chuckles and kisses the side of my head. "I love how sadistic you can be, agápi mou."

I laugh, playfully narrowing my eyes at him as I lay my head back down on his chest again.

And I love you.

The response begs to be uttered, straining to push past my lips and just be said, but I bite it back. I can't say that, not now. I can't scare Hades like that. I can't ruin the moment.

So instead I snuggle down, close my eyes and drift off to the sound of his heartbeat.

— — —

"Can I ask you something, Hades? Something personal?"

"Of course." From the soft, lilted tone to his voice, Hades is as relaxed as I am, laying back on the picnic blanket with me as he traces unintelligible patterns on the back of my hand.

I reach over him and grab a grape, popping it in my mouth and savouring the fresh crunch as I bite into it. "The way that Persephone left... that isn't how the myth ended. Why?"

Hades' arms tighten, and, for a moment, I swear his heart starts beating thrice as fast. But then, just as quickly as he reacts — almost like the reaction was instinctual — he relaxes.

"All of those myths and legends can be traced back to my siblings and I, when we still walked on the earth's surface and whispered our tales into willing ears. Most of the stories have an element of truth in them, but my siblings have been known to... exacerbate the details, at times." He tells me. I snort derisively and shrug in agreement. "When Zeus found out what happened between Persephone and myself... well, he saw how much it hurt me, so he made up a lie. Covered up the truth with what people would want to hear. It was one of his more... redeeming moments in history."

"Well, I guess that makes sense." I muse, propping myself up on my elbow. "If that's true though, then how many of the myths are actually true?"

"Most of them. We only bent the truth when one of us," He pauses to give me a wry look, and I don't even need to think to know exactly who he's talking about. "Did something ever-so-slightly unforgivable. There are just some things that humans cannot comprehend even in their most imaginative of states."

"Well." I sigh dramatically, screwing my nose up. "I won't lie to you Hades, that's a little disappointing."

"What, the fact that we talked ourselves up to humans?" Hades chuckles. "Really Evie, you should not be surprised by our narcissistic complexes."

"It depends on who you're talking about." I retort. "Axel? Sure. Guy loves his own reflection. Spencer? Absolutely. Narcissistic complex is his middle name. But you? Not a chance! What exactly is there to talk up?"

Hades narrows his gaze teasingly. "You can insult me as much as you please, but you are the one who chose to spend the rest of eternity with me."

"Says the god who—" The rest of my sentence is suddenly swallowed up by a loud squeak as I freeze on the spot, staring at something behind Hades' through horrified eyes.

"Evie?" Hades bolts upright. Panic sets his expression alight as his wide eyes flicker around. "Where did you go?!"

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

1.1M 47.2K 39
*to be edited: please excuse any continuity errors and / or mistakes in regards the writing quality of Hades* You could say that a lot has happened t...
194K 6.3K 45
When the Goddess of Spring had successfully escaped the Underworld, The King of the Dead was determined on finding her. In order for her to start a n...
13.1K 503 14
Death is what comes to people like a thief in the night, snatching them with no intentions of bringing them back. Death is a nagging parent that you...
193K 8.1K 45
★Featured in Official Wattpad Myths and Legends profile; The Olympians: Greek Mythology★ ★Featured in Official Wattpad Romance profile; New Adult Rom...