Alexandra

By theroyalswrite

England, 1815 Alexandra Chase has always liked being the perfect daughter, thank you very much. Why would she... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Epilogue
Historical Note

Chapter Seventeen

10.7K 404 20
By theroyalswrite

SMALL LEMON CAKES

Take half a pint of milk and heat to boiling then pour over a like amount of bread crumbs and leave until heat has abated. Melt 8 spoons of butter and to this add grated rind of lemons, a fair measure of sugar and three eggs well beaten. Mix all together and pour into buttered cake-cups and bake until browned.

Medicine for the heart. These cakes will brighten the most melancholy of days.
—Belinda, Marchioness of Cainewood, 1811

Tristan's assessment of the drainage problem had proved in concert with Griffin's, and they were both relieved to find the foundry had saved the molds. If all went to plan, the pump would be installed by Thursday, and Tristan would be well gone before the first guests arrived for Friday evening's ball.

They rode home in high spirits, despite the gloomy gray skies. For once, everything seemed to be going right.

But no sooner had they passed beneath the barbican than Cainewood's big double doors opened to reveal an agitated Boniface, hailing them as he hurried across the quadrangle. "You've a caller, my lord. Lady Rachael Chase."

Griffin swung down from his mount. "She must have come to see my sisters. Have they not returned yet?"

"No, my lord, they've not. But she asked to see you. Something about an unanswered letter?" The stern frown didn't sit quite right on the butler's pretty face. "She's been waiting for well over an hour."

As Boniface returned to his post, Griffin swore under his breath. Tristan dismounted and followed him toward the doors. "You must have received Lady Rachael's letter a week ago or more. Did you never reply?"

"I wanted to make certain my solution would work before I explained it."

Tristan had to take the steps two at a time in order to keep up. "So you simply ignored her?"

"Her brother, the true owner of the affected land, is currently away in Lon—" Griffin stopped short as they stepped inside. "Good afternoon, my lady."

"Lord Cainewood?" Perched on one of the entrance hall's carved walnut chairs, Lady Rachael peered at Griffin with her mouth open in a little "o" of surprise, as though he were quite different from what she'd expected.

Or much better.

Intrigued, Tristan turned to peer at Griffin, too—attempting to appraise him from the female perspective. His dark-haired, green-eyed friend had never wanted for admirers, he recalled. And the fellow had grown a few inches and honed some muscles during his time in the military. Still, Tristan couldn't see what the girl found so shocking.

At last Rachael closed her mouth, then rose abruptly to her feet. "I trust you received my letter?" She licked her lower lip.

"I did, indeed." Griffin blinked at her, staring rather indecently himself. His reaction was no mystery. Though Lady Rachael wasn't Tristan's type, she was stunningly...well...

He'd never say it aloud, but the only word he could think of for her was sultry.

"Did Boniface not fetch you refreshment?" Griffin asked. He gave an elaborate sigh, as though the butler's neglect of their visitor far outweighed his own. "It's so difficult to get good help these days. Don't you agree, Tristan?"

"Mr. Nesbitt." Lady Rachael nodded graciously, though her eyes remained on Griffin. "It's a pleasure to see you again."

Tristan executed a small bow, hiding his amusement. "The pleasure is mine, my lady."

"Mr. Nesbitt is Lord Hawkridge now," Griffin informed her. "The Marquess of Hawkridge."

"Of course." She finally turned to Tristan, her expression a mixture of apology with curiosity and a touch of alarm. "How could I have forgotten?"

Clearly she'd remembered the scandal. Tristan wished she'd go back to staring at Griffin.

"Let me escort you to my sisters, Lady Rachael," Griffin interjected. "You came to visit them, didn't you?"

"I came to see you, as your butler has informed you." She lifted her reticule off one of the ornate iron treasure chests. "Shall we discuss this somewhere private?"

"Very well," Griffin said and guided her up the staircase, his feet obviously dragging.

Tristan had a quiet laugh at his friend's expense. "I shall arrange for refreshment to be brought to you in the study!" he called after them lightly. And with that, he took himself off, leaving Griffin to the mercy of his sultry cousin.

There were no servants hovering about, so Tristan made his way toward the side door that led to the household offices and kitchen, hoping to find Boniface, or perhaps the housekeeper or cook. Then, hearing footsteps and feminine voices drifting from the quadrangle, he turned back.

Boniface reappeared from nowhere and opened the door to admit Alexandra, Juliana, and Corinna. "Welcome home, my ladies."

"Good afternoon, Boniface," they chimed in chorus, belying the gray day in cheerful straw bonnets and pale pastel dresses. Walking dresses, Tristan presumed, though for the life of him he couldn't figure out what made them such. They were high-waisted and slim-skirted, like all the other dresses he'd seen them wear this summer.

"Lord Hawkridge," Juliana said in surprise. "Have you and Griffin returned already?"

"No, he's a mirage," Corinna quipped.

Juliana laughed. Alexandra didn't.

"What have you there?" Tristan asked, indicating the baskets they all carried.

"Lemon cakes," Juliana said. "Or what's left of them."

"We've just come from the village," Corinna elaborated. "We were visiting with the infirm."

"All of the tenants and villagers look forward to our sweets," Juliana boasted. "Would you care for one?" Her gaze flicked from him to Alexandra and back as she reached into her basket and handed him a cake. "They're reputed to cure melancholy."

Did he look distressed? "How kind of you, then, to bring some to the ill." He bit into the confection and smiled, wishing Alexandra would say something. "I was just on my way to procure some refreshment for your cousin, Lady Rachael. Perhaps she'd enjoy some of these."

"Rachael is here?" Corinna squealed. "Where is she? Did Claire and Elizabeth come along as well?"

"I don't believe she brought her sisters with her. She's with Griffin, in his—"

"Griffin?" She frowned. "Whatever does she want with him?"

"Oh, it has to do with some flooding on her land. I think." He laughed, remembering the way they'd interacted. "Has Lady Rachael previously shown an interest in your brother? Or he in her?"

"A romantic sort of interest?" Juliana looked intrigued. "She was little more than a child when he left for Spain."

"She's not a child now."

"Of course she isn't." Juliana handed Alexandra her basket. "Take this, will you? We'll see that refreshments are brought to the drawing room for when Rachael is finished with Griffin."

After a silent moment, she nudged Corinna with her elbow.

"Oh, yes," Corinna said. "Do take mine as well." After shoving her basket at Alexandra, she followed Juliana upstairs.

Alexandra shifted the three baskets awkwardly. "Well," she said as her sisters disappeared.

One word, Tristan thought. It was a start. "They do have a habit of leaving the two of us alone together, don't they?" Doing his best to appear nonchalant, he polished off the rest of the cake.

She crossed to one of the iron treasure chests, set down the baskets, and turned away to busy herself combining the remaining sweets into one of them. "They mean well."

Moving closer, he watched her in the large, rectangular looking glass that hung above the treasure chest. "What do you expect they're hoping will happen?" He kept his hands clasped behind his back.

Though her cheeks went pink, she met his eyes in the silvery surface and answered in her forthright way. "I expect they think you might kiss me again."

"I won't," he said quietly.

"I know," she said and lowered her gaze.

Since spotting him riding to their door earlier that morning, she'd endured a riot of emotions: surprise, happiness, annoyance, confusion. Confusion reigned supreme. She'd been looking forward to the ball, to meeting new—eligible—young men. In the past month, she'd thought she'd succeeded in relegating Lord Hawkridge to that role in her life labeled friend.

But seeing him this morning had cured her of that illusion.

Youthful stupidity could be her only excuse. And perhaps madness. Yes, that would cover it. She whirled round, knowing he stood close behind her. Their height difference meant his lips were at her eye level, and she remembered they had been softer than she'd expected. A lock of his hair had flopped over his forehead as usual, and she reached to sweep it away.

He caught her gloved hand. "That won't work this time."

"I know," she repeated.

Their hands dropped together. Slowly his fingers moved up her arm until he was touching bare skin. "You don't want me to kiss you, do you?"

"Of course not," she said quickly.

"Good," he said. "Because I cannot be with you, Alexandra. I cannot be with anyone."

She couldn't be with him, either—not and live with herself. But surely there were ladies who didn't have families to consider. "Do you mean to never have children? Not even an heir for Hawkridge?"

He wrapped his fingers lightly around her elbow. "I don't believe that to be my fate."

"Fate." She narrowed her eyes. "You believe God's plan for you involves spending the rest of your life alone?"

"That appears to be the trajectory I'm on. I've accepted it. One cannot be happy without accepting one's fate."

He certainly didn't look happy. "Perhaps He needs you to pull your own weight. Is it so wrong to hope for more? To work for more?"

"Of course not." He seemed to realize he'd been holding her arm, and let go. Stepped back. "But it's wrong to expect more as your due."

She remembered how, after completing university, he'd felt he had no choice but to work for his uncle. And now, it seemed, he felt he had no choice but to accept loneliness as his lot in life.

Thinking about that made a lump rise in her throat.

"I don't believe in accepting," she told him. "Or settling. I believe in striving for the things you want." He looked startled when she moved closer and grasped one of his hands in both of hers.

But he didn't pull away.

"Promise me," she said, "as your friend, that you won't stop trying to be happy."

"I am—"

"Promise me."

He didn't. Instead, following a tense silence, he leaned closer and kissed her on the forehead. Then he withdrew his hand and quit the room. 

AUTHOR'S NOTE

This chapter is dedicated to all my fellow chapstick addicts! Thinking about Rachael and her lip-licking habit always makes me cringe at the idea of an era with no Carmex. Like, if I had lived during the Regency and licked my lips as much as she does, I'm pretty sure my mouth would've looked like Death Valley. But not sultry Rachael! Nope, her lips are always perfectly juicy and kissable.

...Hmm, maybe they had some weird homemade remedy for chapped lips, like rubbing butter on them? Must do further research.

Anyways, we'll get to know Rachael better in the next chapter, but meanwhile I hope you're enjoying Tristan's return. :)

Oh, also: WE GOT THE APARTMENT! Woohoo, full-size dishwasher and in-unit laundry, here I come!!!

Thanks so much for reading Chapter 17 and for your votes, comments, and shares!

xoxo,

Devon

P.S. I'll be posting new chapters of ALEXANDRA each week, but if you'd rather binge-read the rest of the book now, it's currently on sale at Amazon for just 99¢!

And if you'd like to see Alexandra's sisters find love (while Juliana pulls off a daring matchmaking scheme and Corinna launches her art career) check out the next two books in the Regency Chase Brides series!

http://royall.ink/Alexandra/Amazon

http://royall.ink/Juliana/Amazon

http://royall.ink/Corinna/Amazon

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

98.8K 4.1K 15
He saved her from drowning... Who will save her from him... Matthew Weldrick must marry and produce an heir. Giving up being a rake will be...
183K 15.7K 44
Eloise is desperate to take charge of her life after losing her parents and home, and after discovering her uncle's plans to marry her off to a man t...
17.2K 348 24
Belle Whitmore, daughter of the dowager Viscountess Whitmore, is about to turn 18 and thus will finally be able to enter the matchmaking market of Lo...
71.3K 3.4K 27
This story takes place in England, 1760, some years before lady Georgia sadly married Lord Walter Pearson at the young age of sixteen. Four years la...