Burned (Hate at First Flight...

By ehl_kayy_writes

Krystal Sanders has only two thoughts on her mind when she flies to New York for her interview for her dream... More

1. The Lambo Article
2. The Arrogant Adonis Hoot
3. The Cancellation
4. Swearing at Starbucks Gets You Glares
5. Holding a Burger Hostage
6. The Mafia Tour Guide
7. Goodbyes and Surprises
8. Dinner with the Demon Spawn
9. Two Can Play The Blackmail Game
10. Golf with Dylan Rush
11. Winner Takes All
12. Voting for Silence
13. Unexpected Reactions
14. The Extended Bathroom Break
16. Dylan Rush's Advice
17. Bittersweet Memories
18. Eavesdroppers and Suspicions
19. Reversed Chances
20. Discovering the Golden Ratio
21. Frost-like Atmosphere
22. Qualifications of a Kiss
23. Athena Burns
24. Slowly Understanding Douglas Burns
25. Breaking Down Walls
26. A Little Too Much Closure
27. Douglas Stanley Burns
28. Confusing Cowardice
29. Never Judge a Person by Their Playlist
30. Alexandra Hunt
31. Crowd Control Duty
32. How to Surf, Burns Style.
33. The Attention Seeking Boy and the Girl with Commitment Issues
34. Finding Out More About the Playboy
35. Hushed Conversations
36. Failed Bravados
37. How to Speak Evan Queens
38. Confessions of a Burger Thief
39. A Ghost of a Smile
40. Surrealism That Leaves One Silent
41. I Fell for the Idiot
42. He's My Century Old Whiskey
43. Memorable Last Words
44. Making Him Faint with An Almost Kiss
45. Falling for the Son of a Diner Owner's Daughter
Epilogue : I'll Always Be Here For You
Bonus Chapter (Douglas' POV)
FROSTED NOW UP!
One-Shot

15. Making a Deal with the Demon Spawn

32.4K 1.5K 73
By ehl_kayy_writes

IMPORTANT : INSTEAD OF DOUGLAS CALLING, I CHANGED IT TO MR BURNS. ONLY APPLICABLE IF YOU READ IT ON NOVEMBER 19 :D

PLEASE VOTE / COMMENT / FOLLOW

XOXO,
LOSALINI

P.S : Dedicated to @brianna340 (hope I got that right) for always being an avid reader and commenting in almost all the chapters so far :) THANK YOU :D

•••||||•••

My heart was thunderously hammering against my ribcage as the phone in my hand felt like it weigh a ton.

Why was Mr Burns calling me? Why now of all times when Douglas wasn't with me?

I simply stared at the phone as it continued to ring.

"Who's calling?" Will asked as he leaned in trying to get a look at the Caller ID. "Douglas?"

I shook my head. "Worse."

"Worse," he chuckled. "How was can it g-" He stopped as understanding dawned on him. "Uncle Seb?"

I nodded as I run through the ideas of what to do next in my head. Don't answer? Slam my phone in the ground and claim that I'd dropped it into some vat of water? Or answer and beg understanding?

"What are you waiting for?" Will asked as I continue to let the phone ring. "He's not gonna stop. Trust me. He's one stubborn piece of work."

"He'll ask for Douglas."

He smirked. "That's where I come in, sweetheart."

I arched my brow questioningly as the phone continued to ring relentlessly

"I'll pretend to be Douglas."

My eyes widened in shock at his insane proposition. "No way."

"It'll work. Trust me. It always has for the past six years."

"But-"

"No more buts. Now answer the stupid phone." He stared at the phone that is still ringing.

The old man was sure determined.

Without really thinking through what I was doing and the repercussions, I slid a finger across the screen and answered the call. Will also leaned in close enough that he could listen in on our conversation

"Hello?"

"Finally. Krystal is everything alright?" Surprisingly instead of being angry, Mr Burns sounded relieved and anxious at the same time.

"Uh...y-yes, sir. Everything is alright here," I replied as I prayed he wouldn't ask about his beloved, annoying son.

"Why didn't you answer before?"

My mouth went dry as I tried to think of an excuse.

Will must've noticed my visible conflict so he just raised a finger to his lips and did a silent shh sign.

"My phone was on silent," I replied, sounding unsure myself about the flimsy excuse.

"And Douglas' too I suppose?" He asked. "I've been trying to call him for the past half an hour and he hasn't been picking up. Is everything okay?"

I laughed trying to play it off. "He's just into the game."

"Can you give him the phone please? I need to discuss something with him."

Shit!

I looked to Will with worry. How the hell is this going to work?

Will gave me an assuring smile as he held a hand up for my phone.

With a silent prayer whilst being resigned to my fate, I handed over the phone to Will.

He grabbed it and with a deep breath he spoke into the phone, "What is it?"

Surprisingly, I was left stunned when instead of sounding like himself, Will sounded almost like Douglas. Douglas with no hint of arrogance.

"Yes, yes." He nodded as he conversed with Mr Burns for a couple more minutes. "I thought I made myself clear on that. Okay, fine. See you then." Then he hung up.

"So?"

"He bought it, obviously."

I released a breath I had been holding without thinking. "Are you sure?"

"Crystal clear sure," he replied before he pulled open the door to the Camaro and nodded for me to get in.

"What are you doing?" I asked confused. I still wanted to watch the sea and also find out what would happen to the poor seagull being attacked by the others.

This time Will looked back at me with a guilty smile. "You see, I might have been a little too convincing to my uncle. He's on his way to the house right now for Douglas to sign some paperwork on sensitive matters. And I don't think he would be too appreciative of our little white lie."

I hold back a giggle as I start to mentally him Little White Lies by One Direction. "What?"

"My uncle is on his way to the mansion right now. So unless you want to be caught, we need to get going right now and somehow convince Douglas to play along."

"This isn't one of your little jokes, right?" I was undeniably a little torn. What if this one of his jokes?

"No, Krystal. So I suggest you get your pretty little behind into the car right now or we're both dead."

Maybe it was his serious expression or the fact that he was standing far too close for comfort, but I didn't put up a fight and got into the car.

Seconds later, Will was behind the wheel and speeding down the highway.

"Roughly what are the chances of us convincing Douglas to go along with this?" I asked Will three minutes later with his speed reaching 100km/hr. Somehow I felt safer with Will than Douglas when speeding. 

For one, as long as I've known him (which wasn't long) he didn't seem like the type to like to smash up sports cars every other day. Two, I actually trusted that he cared about my well-being considering he had waited until I had my seat-belt on before he drove. And three, I liked Will better than I liked Douglas, which was not that impressive considering I couldn't stand the latter, but still it contributed to my sense of safety.

Will stepped on the acceleration some more. "Considering that all my cousin would want is to have you not around him for the rest of the summer," he paused as he turned the bend, "I will have to say, not so much. You gave him the reason to be out of this deal and not have it come back to bite him in the ass."

"Hey," I complained, "you were the one who basically forced me into the car."

He nodded. "And for that I will do whatever I can to convince my cousin. Don't worry Krystal. Everything's going to be alright."

"You just said-"

"I've got something Douglas wants so bad."

"What?" I asked, curiosity getting the best of me.

"It's a secret." He cast me a smile before looking back to the highway. "Just know that Douglas would do anything to get it."

"I hope you're right." I tried to stay hopeful as the thoughts of what Mr Burns would do to me if I got on his bad side ran through my mind.

We were back at the mansion twelve minutes later with Will having broken several traffic laws.

Mr Burns Rolls Royce wasn't anywhere to be found and I was somewhat relieved until the front door opened just as we started up the steps.

Mr Quincy wasn't there to greet us though.

A smirking Douglas was in his place, smiling like a cat that had a meaty mouse cornered.

Will placed a reassuring hand around my arm and pulled me behind him.

"Well now. Isn't someone in trouble?" Douglas asked as he let us in. "Did you honestly think I wouldn't notice that either of you were missing."

"I didn't," Will replied before turning to face me. "Looks like I owe you a monster burger, love."

I shoot him an 'I told you so' look before facing his cousin and smiled sheepishly. "I was letting you enjoy your game. I thought you deserved a break from me hounding you." I tried my best to convince him that I was helping him out despite wanting to inform him that I was beyond bored watching a small league football game.

Douglas was apparently unconvinced. "Thanks for the thought. And considering that I'm going to be rid of you when dad finds out about your little lie, I appreciate the help."

I was shocked he knew Mr Burns was on his way. But then again, he was evil and was rich enough to have sources. Oh maybe he had a working phone. The last one was the likeliest.

"What?" Douglas was thoroughly enjoying himself as he watched my expressions. "Did you think I didn't notice my dad's ten missed calls?" At my speechless state, his smile widened. "His secretary called five minutes ago and went on about having the documents my dad and I discussed on the phone brought over. Turns out dad got caught up in a meeting. So I'm guessing he called you and Will here," he nodded at his cousin, "decided to play pretend which led us to this little scenario."

If I had previously thought Douglas was an idiot, I was gravely mistaken. The guy was a genius. An evil, scheming genius. I didn't know whether to be relieved that Mr Burns wasn't coming here now, or worried that Douglas was going to tell him the truth.

"Will you give me another chance, please?" I hated having to grovel and beg him, but when the other alternative was facing the wrath of his father, I would gladly kiss the ground he walked on out of the two. And then proceed to wash my tongue with a strong cleaning detergent afterwards.

His smile disappeared. "And why would I do that exactly?" He arched a brow, daring me to say something.

"Because you're a kindhearted gentleman that would help out a person in need?" The words burned as they slipped out, but hopefully they would do the trick. Douglas seemed like the type who liked to listen to people complementing him.

"I was thinking more on the lines of handsome, sexy, amazing human being."

"Please Douglas." I looked at Will, hoping he would step in and help.

"No," Douglas replied. Dang it didn't work. Looked like his need for me to be gone far outweighed his love of compliments.

This time, Will leaned in and whispered something into his ear. Douglas' eyes widened as he visibly contemplated this. He nodded slightly before he turned to me, "On two conditions."

I nodded. "Anything."

"You do everything I ask you to, without question."

"If its reasonable."

"Your perception and my perception of reasonable are different."

That was true. "Fine. But still it should be within reason."

He smirked like he had caught a kid with his hands in the cookie jar. "Deal. And you need to buy Prince Americano every morning."

"What?" Americano? Every morning? The rough calculations in my head led to an amount that left me cringing. "Every morning for the whole summer?"

He nodded, his expression confused as to why I wasn't agreeing.

"But that's..." I couldn't bring myself to say the amount out loud.

As if he understood what I was implying. "I'll give you the money."

I sighed in relief at his words until I remembered that he thought I was some gold-digger that was after his family's wealth. "No, its okay. I'll manage."

"I'm paying. I'm not a heartless moron y'know."

"It's okay." Yes you are a heartless moron, I thought.

"I'm giving you the money. It's for my dog anyway. Besides, I don't take charity."

"That's why I'm paying. This is the condition for the deal and therefore I am paying," I argued. "I don't take charity too."

"I'm paying and that's final. Or do you prefer we forget the deal?"

At the idea of Mr Burns finding out, I cave. "Fine. So are you not telling?"

Just as I asked, the door opens and in walks a fresh out of college awkward looking guy in a suit, wearing too big for his face glasses and carrying a briefcase in his right hand. "Mr Douglas?" He looked at Douglas who still hasn't answered me.

"Frances," Douglas nodded at the awkward looking guy.

"Mr Burns gave me the documents you discussed over the phone," as Frances spoke, Douglas cast me a evil grin, "for you to sign."

Douglas continued to watch me as I try my best to not look pathetic whilst showing him a look of desperation. Then as if he made up his mind, he turned back to Frances and asked, "Where do I sign?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

463K 18.3K 62
When Athena and Tobias' family arranged for the two to get married, nothing but hell broke loose. They knew nothing about one another, except they bo...
401K 7.5K 44
***Completed*** *Mature Content Warning* TW: Car accident, Depression, sexual content His touch made me shiver as I couldn't take my eyes off of his...
1.1M 42.8K 42
Vanessa: There's nothing I hate in this world more than I do Aaron Sinclair. Hate is the only word for it. It's not dislike, it's not envy. It's res...
436K 12.7K 40
His words had me heated. As he spoke he made it sexy, and it turned me on. He was right about the pull towards us. The sex between us worked...and it...