Frog Meets Girl

By AliceOtter

Princess Gabriella Persephone Almondine Jane has been angry for as long as she can remember, but one day an i... More

Chapter 1--How Does a Nice Girl Get Into This Mess?
Chapter 2--A Birthday to Remember
Chapter 3--Hi Ho! Hi Ho! It's Off to War We Go!
Chapter 5--Arts and Crafts Time
Chapter 6--Letters, Letters Everywhere
Chapter 7--That Girl Has Ball(s)
Chapter 8--Revenge of The Swamp Thing
Chapter 9--Awkward Fest
Chapter 10--A Day Off
Chapter 11--Amphibious Therapy Session
Chapter 12--Shock and Awe...and a Horse
Chapter 13--Calling Names
Chapter 14--Sleeping Beauty and the Magic...Handshake?
Chapter 15-- The First Day of the Rest of Her Life
Chapter 16--A Dreary Time
Chapter 17--Dawn of a New Era
Chapter 18-- Words and Doors
Chapter 19-- Footwear, Love, and the Lamest Gift Ever
Chapter 20--Slimy Nicky and the Grilled Cheese of Destiny
Chapter 21--The Great Grilled Cheese Disappointment
Chapter 22--Mysterious Behavior of a Froggy Sort
Chapter 23--Sweaty Hands and Other Awkward Moments
Chapter 24--To Kill or Not to Kill, That is the Question
Chapter 25--A Couple of Firsts and Also Some Lasts
Chapter 26--A Fairy Tale for the Man With The Dimple
Chapter 27--Gabby Ruins Everything
Chapter 28--Someone Sneaky Steals the Girl

Chapter 4--The Golden Ball

3.9K 77 10
By AliceOtter

            The cacophony of striking blades, clanking armor, and horse hooves followed Gabriella wherever she went that week. It seeped in through the windows, hovered like a fog over the gardens, and resonated through the corridors. Much to the chagrin of her tutors, it was a major distraction. 

            She continually stepped the wrong way with the dance instructor, incorrectly translated passages of French, and stitched only two stitches in the hours and hours spent languishing under tents on the lawn with her ladies-in-waiting. The Viper presented her elaborate hunting scene for appraisal after a few days and smugly raised a brow at Gabriella’s lonely stitches. The Minion remained quiet, her own stitching having gone slowly.

            Finally, the evening before their departure, Claudio knocked at her door. “Care for a walk in the gardens before dinner?”

            They were among the rose bushes again before Gabriella realized that he had been holding something behind his back. “What do you have in your hand?”

            He pulled out a golden ball and presented it to her. “I’ve been thinking all week about how to help you feel a little better about me leaving and this is what I’ve come up with.”

            “A ball?”   

            “It’s not just any ball, it’s a gold ball. It’s gold because we’re part of a privileged family and you deserve the best of everything. It’s a ball with no corners, no edges, no beginning, and no end, just like our relationship. No matter how far away I am, there’s still no end. There’s also a surprise inside that says everything I wish I could say about our friendship. I won’t tell you how to get into it because it will keep you busy and because I know you’re smart enough to do it.” He placed it in her hand.

            It was cool and much heavier than it looked. There were delicate carvings on the surface, scenes from their childhood, her favorite flowers, the sun, moon, and stars. “It’s beautiful! Thank you.”

            “You’re very welcome, Princess Gabriella.” He held out his arm, “Now, let’s go to dinner. I’m starving.”

            “That’s never a surprise. I can’t remember the last time you weren’t hungry.” She took his arm and they began walking toward the castle.

            “I can. It was last June at cousin Fausta’s wedding when I managed to get a whole stuffed pig for myself.”

            Gabriella laughed for the first time in what felt like months, relishing the warmth of the setting sun on her back and the last few moments she would have with her brother for quite some time.

            The frog watched their retreating forms, regretting that they were leaving so soon and that she had not been alone.

            Even after a sleepless night, dawn arrived with astonishing rapidity. The whirring of her thoughts seemed to have marched the half-moon across the sky with the same speed. Before she was ready, she began to see the rosy light of dawn seeping through the thick folds of her canopied bed and the sleepy world uncurled itself from slumber.

            The golden ball was still clutched in her hand, as it had been when she had laid down what seemed mere minutes before. The swirling designs had muddied her thoughts and propelled them even faster. Curiosity over the surprise within, aching worries for her brother, and memories of their many sunny afternoons tumbled over each other, working them into a fine froth.

            Sleepily, she extricated herself from bed upon the arrival of The Viper and The Minion. Though smiling as usual, they could hardly mask their lethargy at the early hour. The Minion seemed especially sluggish.

            Finally, they all descended into the main courtyard where the soldiers had gathered for their departure. In contrast to the fog of sleepiness, their polished shields and swords seemed to pierce the cold morning air. Horses whinnied and danced about, their riders making last-minute adjustments. Soldiers jostled each other jovially, commanders barked orders, and they began lining up to march.

            Leaning casually against one of the loaded wagons, Niccolo Machiavelli watched the soldiers and spectators with interest. For a brief moment, their eyes met and Gabriella felt her skin prickle into goosebumps.

            Gabriella searched for a minute before spotting her brother talking to King Daddy and Queen Momma. King Daddy looked as though he had swallowed the sun. He radiated pride and contentment, slapping Claudio on the back multiple times. Queen Momma smiled, quietly murmuring assent to King Daddy’s more boisterous conversation. Her delicate handkerchief dangled from her fingertips.

            As she joined them, Claudio turned to her with a wide grin. “Good morning Gabby! Today’s the big day.”

            “Good morning, Gabriella,” said King Daddy, studying her red-rimmed eyes with a frown.

            “Good morning dear,” said Queen Momma. Her own eyes were translucent blue, without a hint of red or even emotion.

            Gabriella curtseyed as gracefully as she could. “Good morning.” She wanted to shout, curse even. She wished she could wipe the grins off her brother and King Daddy’s face. She wished her father would slap her back and smile just once.

            A tall man with graying hair and a scar running between his mouth and left ear approached Claudio. “The men are ready, your Highness. We await your command.”

            “Yes. I am coming,” said Claudio. He turned to his family, “This is it! I’ll bring you the heads of every nobleman and more wine for your special collection, Father.” He shook King Daddy’s hand, who reached out and clapped him on the back once more. Claudio kissed Queen Momma’s cheek, briefly squeezed Gabriella in a hug and was gone.

            That was it. No lengthy, flowery speech. Not even a speech at all. Before Gabriella could comprehend it, the company’s backs were turned and the dust rose in clouds from the pounding feet and hooves. They were quickly followed by the supply wagons. Gabriella watched them, fists clenched, as the crowd dispersed. King Daddy took Queen Momma’s arm and escorted her back into the castle without a word to her.

            Then, The Viper was at her side. “Here is your handkerchief, your Highness.” She offered the lacy square.

            Initially, Princess Gabriella considered shredding it before grinding it into the gravel with her heel. However, just then she saw another figure staring off toward the retreating backs of the soldiers, the only other person still watching. She was close enough to see the tears gliding down her cheeks. Stunned, Gabriella took the handkerchief without uttering a syllable of her nasty retort. She had the oddest feeling that by just observing The Minion’s tears, she was intruding on something sacred.

She dabbed at her own wet cheeks. She could smell her lilac perfume as she pressed the cloth to her face. The lace scratched at her and she wished for the simple softness of Claudio’s handkerchief.

            Before long, the band of soldiers had been swallowed in the flowing curves of the land and disappeared from sight. The Minion looked around quickly as she pulled her own handkerchief from a pocket and began to wipe her eyes. She looked up and saw Gabriella hastily glance away.

            Princess Gabriella was well aware that The Viper, instead of looking away from The Minion as she had, held her icy gaze steady.

            “Come, Isabella. The Princess needs to rest after all the excitement.”

            “Yes. I’m coming.” She quietly folded her handkerchief and tucked it into her pocket before joining them.

            The sun was now gently resting above the horizon, bathing the trees in a gentle golden glow. Birds twittered in the trees and the first of the bees were exploring the last of the summer flowers. Gabriella tried to study this as she was escorted back into the palace, but found herself peeking at The Minion, Isabella, from the corner of her eye frequently.

            She could see no more tears. If it weren’t for the absence of the usual placid smile, Gabriella would have thought she’d imagined it all. She was puzzled and she welcomed it. Every second of Claudio’s absence, the weight on her heart increased. She was sure that it would soon press so insistently that she would cease to breathe. Somehow, pondering this new mystery staved off being consumed by it.

            They walked along the drive; the sound of gravel crunching beneath their feet was all that broke the silence. Finally, as they began ascending the wide entry steps, The Viper spoke. “Perhaps you would like your breakfast now, Your Highness. We will call for it to be brought to your rooms.”

            “No, why don’t you go get it yourself. She—“ Gabriella gestured toward Isabella, “can escort me to my room just fine.”

            The Viper smiled and when she opened her mouth, Gabriella could hear the condescension in her voice before she uttered the first syllable. “Your Highness, you have had quite a strenuous morning. It would be wise to have all the support available for you right now.”

            Gabriella raised an eyebrow, “I am not a child, nor am I a porcelain doll. I am the princess and you will do as I say.”

            The Viper didn’t flinch, “Yes, Your Highness.” As she turned away at the entrance hall, Gabriella thought she saw a venomous expression on her face.

            The Minion’s facial expression remained blank as she turned toward the staircase and the silence between them felt syrupy and thick, like undiluted wine. Gabriella had wanted The Viper to go away, but for what? Her impulsive move to send only one lady away felt clumsy and foolish. She did not know what she had wanted to happen or what to do now that she could speak to The Minion without The Viper’s critical eye.

            As they made their way up staircases and through courtyards, past ballrooms and dining halls, Gabriella felt her heart sinking, weighted by grief and thick swirling self-reproach. Isolation beat out from inside her rib cage. Her eyes began to fill with warm tears and spill down her cheeks. The leaden weight of a sleepless night made her legs sluggish and movements slow.

            Still, the silence pressed on her and neither of them said anything.

            Finally, they reached her chambers and The Minion opened the ornately carved wide double doors for Gabriella to pass through.

            The sitting room had a plush, deep burgundy carpet covering the stone floor and colorful tapestries on the wall. A portrait of her Great-grandmother hung over a large fireplace with a carved marble mantle. On the opposite wall there was another set of double doors leading to her dressing room. Fresh flowers were arranged in a vase on a low table, around which were arranged a soft couch and several chairs. The window looked out to the gardens and beyond.

            Gabriella did not know how long she cried before her breathing began to even out and eyes dry up. Slowly, a sense of peace began soothing the ache and she fell asleep with her head on Isabella’s lap.

            She seated herself upon the chair closest to the window, turning her face toward the sunshine and palace grounds while she arranged her face into a more impassive expression. The Minion delicately perched on the edge of the couch and folded her hands into her lap.

            Silence once more ensued, stretching like a cat into the space between them. Long minutes passed and Gabriella continued to study the landscape outside while the halls outside her chamber doors occasionally echoed with the bustling feet of servants with things to do.

            Finally, The Minion spoke, “Perhaps, Princess, you would like me to read to you until your breakfast arrives?”

            Gabriella turned her head toward her slightly, “If you would like.”

            The Minion left the room for a moment and then returned carrying a thick leather-bound volume. The cover crackled slightly as it was opened and after the rustling of a few pages, The Minion began reading aloud.

            The Princess, expecting another chapter from Il Cortegiano, was surprised to hear the words, “Once upon a time,” as she began to read.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.6K 388 30
HI ALL!! so someone asked if i would make a sequel to flipped and i was like omfg YES so i'm writing one and haha i'll try to update this one pretty...
77.5K 1.7K 25
Garrett's a master thief. Matilda's your classic tomboy-princess. Garrett craves adventure. Matilda wishes desperately to be rid of her royalty title...
86.2K 2.9K 23
Mabel is going back home. But someone urges her to stay.
2.1K 190 20
Arthur goes about his day normally! That's all he wants, normalcy. However, that all changes when he meets a strange man who turns his world upside d...