Forsaken Deity

By saturn137

[2013 Watty Finalist] Thea Gibson lives a normal life. She waitresses at her local bar, pays her bills on ti... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Epilogue

Chapter 8

55K 2.3K 293
By saturn137

Trying to get ready for a date with a nosy God in her apartment was proving to be a nightmare.

Normally, Thea would pamper herself, doing a facial and applying all her lotions and potions, but with Hermes hovering around her, she couldn't do anything.

Every time she tried to do something, he would be watching or asking her questions outside her bedroom door. After threatening him with bodily harm and locking her door, Thea was finally ready.

The black dress hugged her frame well, resting a couple of inches above her knees. The neck curved along her collarbone and the sleeves rested above her elbows. She had to admit, the dress was overkill but she was wearing it for Shae. Turning on her side, she did a final assessment in the full length mirror. Her body had natural curves which Shae had always envied. She had been small in frame and had often wore push up bras to try and accentuate what little she had.

Thea wore strappy stilettos to try and add height to her small stature. Her hair was tied up in a messy bun with small tendrils falling around her face, and she wore no jewellery with only minimal makeup. She hated wearing eye shadow and foundation; it always felt thick and heavy on her skin.

Grabbing her jacket, she unlocked her door and walked out to grab her phone. Hermes was lying on the couch, engrossed in one of her fantasy novels. Walking around the kitchen island, she grabbed her phone and checked the time. She had ten minutes before Josh arrived.

"You better not ruin tonight, Hermes." She dropped the phone in her clutch and snapped it shut. She heard something hit the floor behind her. "You know, you can just stay here. I'll call the house phone if anything happens -"

"You're not going."

Thea sighed, head tilting back to look at the ceiling before looking over at him. "Yes, I am."

Hermes was off the couch, the book forgotten on the floor. His eyes were stuck on her dress. "I thought you were only going to a movie?"

"We are -"

"And you're wearing that?"

His eyes raked over her body, a strange expression on his face. Thea watched his lips thin and memories of the night before came rushing back. Feeling her cheeks warm, she looked away.

When she'd woken up this morning, she'd decided to pretend it had never happened. Hermes had met her at her bedroom door when she finally gathered the courage to walk out.

"Did you sleep?" he had asked.

She had walked past him to get her breakfast without answering.

"I thought so," he had chuckled and thankfully, he didn't bring it up again.

She looked down at her dress. "What's wrong with what I'm wearing?"

"You're trying too hard." His voice sounded strangled. "Go and change. You look like you're trying to sell yourself."

Thea's temper flared. "I do not! And I'm not changing. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean Josh won't."

Hermes turned away, muttering, "Those damn legs are going to be burned into my brain."

Fortunately, Thea was too busy checking her phone again and didn't hear him. At that moment, a car horn noised from the street below. Looking out her window, she recognised Josh's four wheel drive.

"I'm off. Please don't screw this up for me."

Hermes frowned. "What else am I meant to do tonight?"

Rolling her eyes, she was almost out the door when Hermes voice stopped her. "Don't let your guard down, Thea. If the Titans see you without me, they may attack."

"But you said you'll be following us?" Thea was suddenly nervous he wouldn't be looking out for her, even though that was what she originally wanted.

Hermes approached her and Thea was startled as he tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "I will be looking out for you. Be careful and enjoy and your date." His last words sounded strained.

Nudging her out the door, he shut it quietly. Thea's hand went to her ear where he had touched it, wondering what the hell had just happened. When her senses returned, she raced down the stairs and stepped outside.

Josh was waiting, leaning against the driver door in a pair of faded blue jeans and a plain, black shirt. His hair looked windswept, as if he'd been driving with the window open. He looked stunned as she approached.

"Hey, Josh, sorry to keep you waiting," she said nervously.

"No, not at all." His gaze travelled down her body, making her blush. "I thought we were only going to the movies?"

"I know, it's just something I promised Shae I would wear if I ever went on a date with you. I don't like to break my promises," she ended weakly, feeling silly.

His gaze softened, meeting her eyes. "Then I guess I should be thanking Shae for getting the chance to see you in that dress."

Thea was fairly sure her face was glowing in the dark. Chuckling, Josh pushed off the door and opened it. Looking back, Thea expected to see Hermes watching her from the window but no one was there.

Feeling oddly disappointed, she climbed into the car, her lower back tingling as Josh's hand rested there, guiding her in. Once she was seated, he closed the door and walked around the car to hop in.

Looking into the dark street, Thea's smile froze as she saw a set of eyes glowing in the distance. When she blinked, they were gone and she wondered if she was seeing things.

Hermes must be playing tricks, she thought, trying to assure herself.

They took off and Thea glanced back one last time but there was no sign of the God.

*                             *                             *                             *

On the drive to the cinema, Josh asked her how she'd been coping since Shae died. It wasn't something she wanted to talk about but she didn't know how to say no to Josh. When he asked if she was sleeping okay, her lips tingled in memory and glad for the darkness of the car, she simply replied, "Slowly improving."

Josh mentioned they were still looking for the two men who attacked her and Thea nodded. She knew they wouldn't find them. Even if they did, she doubted they would stand a chance against two Titans.

Arriving at the cinema, Josh paid for the admission and food. She could feel eyes boring into her and she tried to ignore it. She'd known her dress would garner attention, she just hadn't realised how much as she caught young boys ogling her, many of them getting slapped by their dates which made her feel better.

Every now and then she would glance around, trying to spot Hermes. Even though she'd been happy at the thought of being away from him after a week, now she felt worried that she couldn't see him. He may have been an ass, but he was protecting her and now she felt vulnerable without him.

"Who are you looking for?" Josh wrapped an arm around her waist, the other carrying the popcorn, and they started walking into the cinema.

"No one. I was just looking around." There was no way she could tell him she was looking for another guy. She was mortified with herself. She was finally on a date with the guy she'd been crushing on for three months and instead of being all over him, she was more concerned about a bastard God.

"Stupid Hermes," she muttered.

Josh led her to one of the back rows and lifted the arm rest up so they could sit closer. Feeling shy, she sat down, fiddling with the hem of her dress.

"You know, I'm still surprised you chose this movie." Josh placed a piece of popcorn in his mouth.

They were seeing an action movie about gangsters in the thirties. Josh had let Thea pick and she gladly chose the violent option over the romantic comedy. She loved to watch movies with a fast pace. Romantic comedies always ended up making her cry and she hated crying around other people.

She smiled. "I've always preferred these types of movies. There tends to be hotter guys in them."

"I hope I won't have to compete with them," he teased and she blushed.

There were only a few other patrons in the theatre and as the lights faded, she was suddenly very aware of the man beside her. She sat frozen, unsure what to do; focus on the movie or the man beside her?

Josh didn't move for the first part of the movie and so she started getting into the film, forgetting to feel awkward. At one point his thigh touched hers and she felt energy buzzing between them, leaving her heart pounding. His leg stayed against hers and she began to find it hard to concentrate on the movie.

She glanced at the door every time a head popped in but it was never who she expected. During the bright scenes of the movie, she tried to glance at the other movie goers to see if Hermes was amongst them.

Halfway through the movie, Josh stretched his arms, moving one around her shoulders. Thea giggled at such a cliché move. Josh laughed under his breath and all thoughts fled her mind as she felt his breath on her neck, her skin sensitised at his close proximity.

"Thea," he breathed. Heart thumping, she turned her head in the dark and his mouth connected with hers. His lips moved gently against hers, sending shivers down her spine. The arm around her shoulder dropped lower, resting on her ribcage, his thumb moving against the side of her breast.

When she didn't pull away, Josh moved closer, pressing her into the back of the chair causing her hands to come up, her left curling into his hair and the other resting on his thigh. His tongue ran across her lips, demanding entry and she stiffened.

Hermes scowling face entered her mind and refused to leave. Suddenly the kiss wasn't as wonderful as she first thought. She couldn't help but compare it to Hermes and she realised what was different.

Josh's kiss, his touch, they lit her on fire but not as strongly as Hermes. It didn't leave her struck with a bolt of desire shooting through her core, which unnerved her. How had he had that effect on her?

Josh felt her withdraw and moved away. "Am I moving too fast?"

"No," she whispered, "I just -"

Thea stopped, confused. The theatre screen was black.

"The movie stopped," she stated.

Josh looked around, and saw that everyone in the cinema was gone. "Where did everyone go?"

Feeling nervous, Thea's blood ran cold as a low growl sounded behind them. Josh turned around, eyes going wide. "What the fu -?"

Whatever was behind her roared, sending vibrations through her body and Josh pulled her out of her seat as something smashed into it, crushing it to small pieces.

Spinning around, Thea saw the outline of the creature in the darkness. It appeared to be some sort of lion but it was the size of a large rhinoceros. Its mane hung in clumps around its face, saliva dripping from its jaw. His yellow eyes were focused solely on her.

She recognised the eyes from earlier on; she had been followed. Damn, but she hated it when Hermes was right!

"Come on, Thea!" Josh dragged her down the stairs. She stumbled, wishing she hadn't worn heels. A whoosh sounded above their heads and the lion landed in front of them, it's tail whipping dangerously, splintering the chairs with each flick.

Josh went to reach for his gun and cursed because he was off duty. A clinking noise drew Thea's attention to the lion's neck. A large chain was tied around it, and, following the glint of the chain in the dark, she found the other end connected to the largest man she'd ever seen.

Apollo was a child compared to his man. Thick muscles tightened and released as he stepped into the dim theatre light. He wore black pants and a white dress shirt which was too small for him, making the muscles in his arm bulge. Blue eyes found her in the dim cinema and Thea thought they looked familiar. He held the chain in one hand, and a small globe, emitting a faint blue light, in the other.

"Get behind me, Thea," Josh demanded.

Thea glanced around, wondering where Hermes was. "Josh, I don't think -"

Thea didn't get to finish her sentence as the lion lunged forward, his large paw reaching out and swatting them both.

Thea went flying, pain lancing down her left side from the creature's blow. She braced herself, expecting to crash into the seats, but was surprised as arms encircled her, stopping her flight.

"What trouble have you gotten into this time, Peaches?"

The familiar voice relaxed her instantly.

"Hermes," she breathed.

He lifted her so she was standing and pressed her close. The Titan stepped forward, face emotionless. "The rumours were true then. They have a weakling like you trying to protect her."

Hermes hands tightened around her waist. "I see you've met my grandfather, Atlas."

Thea jolted. "That's your grandfather?"

"Unfortunately." His lips brushed her ear. "Get ready to run."

"What about Josh?" She turned to face Josh who was lying unconscious in the fourth row.

"He's the safest one of us right now. I need to get you out of here first."

"I don't think so, little bastard."

Thea looked up and saw the globe in Atlas' hand start to turn black. She felt a weight hit her shoulders as Hermes threw her out of the way.

Jarring her back on an arm rest, she landed on the seats and saw Hermes collapse to his knees. The weight she had felt was gone but Hermes seemed to be stuck in its pull. His teeth gritted together as he glared at Atlas. "Do you really think Cronos is going to take this realm so easily?"

"It's not the mortal realm we're interested in, boy. We will take our rightful place upon Mount Olympus and Cronos will rid me of the curse laid upon me by your bastard father."

His father? Thea wondered. Who on earth was his father?

"Cronos isn't strong enough to remove Zeus' punishment," Hermes ground out and Thea's eyes widened.

Zeus was his father? Trying to keep up with everyone's lineage was confusing.

The globe in Atlas' hands grew darker and Hermes groaned as he was pressed further into the floor. Thea wasn't sure but it looked to be some sort of gravitational pull. She didn't know how Atlas was doing it, but Hermes seemed neutralised by it.

It didn't stop him from running his mouth off. "Is that you've got?"

A sinister smile alighted Atlas' face. "I think it's time you knew the true meaning of pain, boy."

He flicked the chain and the lion who had been sitting at his side lunged at Hermes, jaws open wide.

"No!"

Scrambling to her feet, Thea unconsciously moved the air around her and flew towards Hermes, landing in front of him. The lion roared, looming closer and she held out her hands, shrieking, "Don't touch him!"

As she spoke, a ball of air formed and burst from her outstretched palms. It connected with the lion's face, which was inches from her hands and then broke into multiple air tunnels surrounding the lion and pushing him backwards.

Atlas moved too late and the lion collided with him, sending them both through the theatre screen. Thea heard a large crash and flinched, lowering her trembling arms.

Breathing heavily, Hermes stood up and pulled her against him. "Time to go."

They started to disappear and Thea panicked. "Josh!"

It was too late and they appeared in her living room before she could blink.

Breaking free from Hermes grip, she bolted for the door only to have him yank her back. "Where do you think you're going?"

"Back to the cinema - you left Josh there with that psycho!"

"He'll be fine. Atlas won't go after him."

"You don't know that for sure, Hermes. Now let me go."

His grip on her arm tightened. "No."

"Dammit, Hermes -"

"I'm not letting you go, Thea."

"Let me go!" She shoved him and he was thrown back as wind burst from her palm again. His hand wrenched from her arm and he flew across the living area, hitting the kitchen island.

Horrified, she raced over to him. "Hermes, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to do that. I mean I've dreamed of hurting you but I would never -"

"You've fantasised about me?" He coughed, blood dripping from his nose.

"Only about hurting you," she said lamely, wondering how to help him.

"Didn't know you were into that kinky stuff." Groaning, he stood up and grabbed her arm, still afraid she was going to bolt. "Josh will be fine. I already contacted the police before I arrived. They should be there by now. Atlas won't reveal himself to mortals so easily."

"But Josh will be wondering where I am."

"I'm sure he will and he'll find you right here. I'm not letting you roam the dark streets in that dress after being attacked by my grandfather.”

"I'll tell you about him tomorrow," he added when Thea opened her mouth to ask. "Go and get changed and quit worrying."

She glanced at him, knowing it was pointless fighting him on this. "Are you sure you're alright?"

Gently, he pushed her away. "I'm a God, remember? I'll live. Now go and get changed. I can't concentrate with you in that dress."

Thea moved back to her room, slowly shutting the door behind her. Her house phone started ringing and picked up the line in her room. "Hello?"

"Thea? What the hell happened to you?

She winced; it was Josh. "I'm sorry, Josh it's hard to explain. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," he said shortly. "What's going on, Thea? What was that creature ? I woke up and you were bloody gone. It looks like a warzone in here."

"I don't know how to explain -"

"Are you safe?"

Thrown by the question, she answered, "Yes."

"Then think of how to explain by morning because I’m coming over.. I want to know why you didn't seem surprised to see that creature or the man no one seems to remember."

She paled, not knowing how she was going to tell him. "Josh -"

"Get some sleep, Thea."

He hung up.

She sat on the edge of her bed, feeling numb. This wasn't how her first date with Josh was supposed to go. How was she going to tell him she had mythological Gods sleeping on her couch and Titans trying to kill her?

Placing the receiver back in the cradle, she started getting changed. She slipped on a pair of pyjama shorts and grabbed a blue top. As she was pulling it over her head, she felt a sharp pain in her left side and flinched.

Looking in the mirror, she saw a dark bruise forming on her lower ribs where she'd been hit by the lion. Prodding it gently, she gasped at the stab of pain. Too tired to do anything about it now, she lowered her shirt as the door opened.

"Thea, did you -"

She tried to shove her top down but from the look on his face, Hermes had already seen. He stared at her for a moment before walking back out, not saying a word. Thea heard the familiar sounds of him leaving and wondered where he went.

Confused at his behaviour, she went and brushed her teeth, still trying to figure out how to explain everything to Josh. No matter how many times she rehearsed it in her head, it didn't sound believable.

She leaned down to finish rinsing out her mouth and jumped as Hermes appeared behind her in the mirror. Grabbing the sink, her legs buckled in surprise. "What the hell, Hermes?"

He ignored her. "Lift up your top."

"What?"

He held a small jar in his hands. "Show me the bruise."

"No. Don't worry, Hermes, it's fine -"

She shrieked as he grabbed her waist and lifted her up, setting her down on the sink. Shifting his weight, he moved her legs apart and pressed closer so she couldn't escape.

"Show. Me. The. Bruise."

"Alright!" She tried to sound angry to cover up the tango her heart was dancing.

Lifting her shirt, just enough to see the bruise, she turned slightly so he could see it better. Her leg pressed into his waist and she tried not to think about how nice it felt.

His fingers touched her bruise and she stifled a gasp.

"Does it hurt?"

She nodded, letting him believe that was the reason she made a noise. She didn't understand why Hermes elicited this reaction from her and Josh hadn't. It didn't make sense. His fingers dipped into the ointment and rubbed it gently over the bruise, placing the jar on the sill behind her.

"This is a remedy from a mountain nymph," he explained. "The bruise should be gone by tomorrow morning."

"Wow, really?" Impressed, she reached around to grab the jar, causing her to lean closer to Hermes. She turned and their faces were a breath apart. He tensed, the hand on her waist tightening. His fingers dug into her flesh as she froze, realising what she was doing.

Before she could move, he quickly stepped away. Trying to remain calm, she went to hand the jar back to him.

"Keep it." His voice was hoarse. "Goodnight."

He exited the bathroom and she heard her bedroom door snap shut. Air whooshed from her lungs as she released the breath she didn't know she'd been holding.

"It's nothing," she whispered to the bathroom wall. "Just leftover adrenaline playing with my emotions."

For the second night in a row, she crawled into bed and instead of worrying about what to say to Josh, it was the God sleeping on her couch she was thinking of.

______________________________________________________

A/N: So I JUST got this back from the wonderful editor I have who is seriously the only person keeping me sane with this story! I was going to wait to post it but before I knew it, my mouse was clicking that add new part button! I guess I'm a little excited. 

I would love to know what you all think of this chapter, don't hesitate to comment! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

405K 19.3K 29
The year is 1338 and England is in a time of peril as raiders pillage the land and, with no one to challenge them, their actions begin to grow like w...
82.3K 243 25
Smut 18+ ONLY! ⚠️WARNING⚠️ ⚠️CONTAINS MUTURE CONTENT⚠️ ⚠️VERY SEXUAL 18+⚠️ 22 year old Raven Johnson is just going to her yearly doctors appointment...
19.4K 950 28
'Gladiator of Rome: Short Stories' will be a collection of short stories and bonus chapters around each of the main characters from the first novel i...
253K 14K 54
After her lover's accident, which placed him into a coma, (F/n) (L/n) struggles with her constant trips to the hospital to visit him. She, however, c...