Dream Hunter

By SheHopes

(BOOK III IN THE DREAM SERIES) With a single touch, Dani Deleon has always been able to see the nightmares o... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
The Final Chapter
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter: The Honeymoon

Chapter 9

38.2K 3K 718
By SheHopes

Dolores loved a man that could cook. At least that's what she told Donovan when she saw him flipping pancakes.

"I know Dolores. You tell me that every day," he reminded her.

"I just wanted to make sure you knew," she winked. "I just know that a man that can make scrumptious food has to be scrumptious himself."

Donovan winced as he placed a stack of pancakes on a plate, "Dolores, I'm really busy. Maybe we can talk later."

"It's okay honey. I can help you if you want," she stepped closer to him and bumped her hip into his, "Let me show you how whip cream is supposed to be used."

Donovan watched in horror as Dolores sprayed a dollop of cream on her finger and shoved it in her mouth.

"Dolores!" Oliver's voice rang through the kitchen. "I told you to leave Donovan alone."

"Oh Oliver. I didn't do anything to him...yet."

Donovan shivered.

"Donovan doesn't like tigers," Oliver stepped in front of the young cook.

"It's cougars," Donovan whispered to him.

"Whatever. Any kind of cats," Oliver crossed his arms and frowned. "Dolores, you need to find someone your own age."

"But Dani said Donovan was lonely, Oliver. I was just trying to cheer him up."

"Dani said that?" Donovan choked back a groan. "How embarrassing! I thought she was kidding." 

"Actually, she didn't say you were lonely. She asked if I knew any young women to introduce you to."

"And?" Oliver asked.

"And I told her that I did but I wanted to find out his type first," Dolores patted her gray hair. "Clearly he's not into older women."

"I'm sorry Dolores," Donovan had the grace to look chagrined.

"It's alright darling. I understand. Not all men are ready for the sexy that is me."

Oliver laughed, earning him a glare from Dolores.

"In any event, I do know a few women your age if you're interested."

Donovan smiled, "That's okay. I decided this morning that I would focus more on my cooking instead of women. I figure that if I become a famous chef, I'll have women chasing after me for once."

Oliver patted Donovan's back, "That's right. Think positive. You won't date Dani but maybe you'll find someone."

Donovan looked away and Dolores laughed.

"Are you blushing Donovan?" the older woman asked.

"No, I'm just slowly dying of embarrassment."

She laughed again, "I love an honest man. If you ever change your mind about older women, let me know honey."

"I will," Donovan mumbled.

Oliver patted Donovan's back, "Cheer up. You never know when the woman of your dreams will crashing into your life."

"I'm sorry I'm late," Dani burst through the kitchen doors, tying an apron around her waist. "It was a crazy morning."

"Spent the night with that hunky detective, did we?" Dolores winked.

"Dolores!" Dani blushed and looked at Oliver and Donovan.

"Cover your ears," Oliver whispered to Donovan. "It must really hurt to hear her talk about her boyfriend since you like her."

"Oliver!" Dani couldn't believe he had just said that. "Donovan doesn't like me like that. We're just friends."

"Right," Donovan interjected. "Dani and I are just friends."

"Well...I better get out there and take some orders," Dani said awkwardly.

Oliver followed her out and Dolores sighed before looking at Donovan.

"Well honey, whether you want to hear it or not, you need to understand one thing."

"What is that?" Donovan asked Dolores.

"Playing the nice guy when it comes to love isn't going to get you the girl," she whispered before leaving him alone in the kitchen.

Donovan stared at the stack of pancakes he had made earlier and thought about Dolores' words.

"The nice guy?" he whispered. He picked the plate up and let it crash to the ground. One of the other kitchen staff members walked in from the back entrance. It was the second cook that would help out during the next shift.

The second cook looked at the pancakes and broken dish on the floor, "Everything okay Donovan?"

"It's fine. I just need to think about things. I'm taking a break."

The second cook shook his head as he watched the normally calm Donovan stomp out the back door that led outside.

---------------

"You really don't know where she's at?"

Roberto Montoya looked up at his brother-in-law who was pacing the floor in front of him.  

Roberto scowled, "I told you I'm working on it, Tristan."

"Working on it? Sitting in your partner's living room is working on it?"

Jax walked inside his home to see a young man around his age yelling at Roberto. He put down the file he was holding and addressed the younger man who looked slightly familiar, "Who the hell are you?"

"Jax-" Roberto tried to interrupt.

"No," Jax held up a hand. "This is my house. You're already going through a lot. Who the hell does he think he is yelling at you?"

The younger man crossed his arms and jutted his chin out, "He thinks he's Gladys' brother."

"What?" Jax looked back at Roberto who was nodding.

"You're Gladys' brother?" Jax asked, surprised.

"You probably don't remember me since everything was so hectic that night but I was running the Majestic Waters case. Detective Tristan Beaument."

He didn't extend his hand for Jax to shake.

"So you think it's okay to come into my home and be rude to my partner?" Jax asked, mimicking Tristan's stance.

Tristan scoffed at Jax, "I'm here to find out about my sister. Not get into some pissing contest."

"Roberto," Jax nodded toward the file he had been carrying. "Forensics were able to identify the type of vehicle that made those tire tracks. Belonged to a vehicle that fit the description of a van that was reported stolen."

Roberto's greedy eyes read the file as Tristan nodded towards Roberto, "That's all you got? Some tire tracks?"

"I also found out that the crazy wolves are involved."

"The gang?" Tristan repeated. "Why would they want my sister?"

"That's a good question," Roberto swallowed. "Jax are you sure about this?"

Jax nodded, "I watched them drill that punk from the restaurant. Apparently Los Lobos Locos has a new leader in charge. He's the one that wanted them to run into the restaurant."

"A new leader? That still doesn't explain why he'd go after my sister," Tristan said.

"Maybe he was there that night and saw Gladys. I don't know. All I know is that there's a strong chance that they're involved. This new leader is very anti-cop."

"There's a ton of officers. Why target me and my wife?"

"I don't know. Maybe you busted him in the past or not too long ago. All I know is that he said he was told to specifically to hit that restaurant because their new leader's future woman was there."

"You think they want Gladys?" Roberto stood up, fists clenched.

"I don't know," Jax was honest. "All I know is that they came in one night looking for someone for their new leader and the next Gladys is gone."

"This is bull," Tristan muttered. "Where the hell do these crazy wolves hang out?"

"They change locations all the time," Jax answered. "Besides, they won't tell you the truth. Look at you. You scream cop."

"Do we have someone on the inside?" Tristan asked.

"An undercover?" Roberto asked.

"Yeah, do we have one? Maybe that person can tell us if they have Gladys." Tristan rubbed his hands together.

"It's not that easy. If we do have someone working on the inside, that person may not be able to get back to us right away. I'll see what I can do. In the meantime, you and Roberto think of other ideas on how to track Gladys without the police helping us. They still think she took off with her own two feet."

"What if we still can't find her?" Roberto whispered. Panic was welling up inside him.

"We're going to find her," Tristan placed a hand on Roberto's shoulder. "Gladys is tough. We'll find her."

Roberto knew he had to stay calm if he expected to find his wife but it was difficult.

"I'll give you the contact for one of my friends that works in the gang unit," Jax said. "In the meantime, go home and take a shower Roberto. Your brother-in-law is right."

"What will you be doing?" Tristan asked Jax.

Jax scratched the back of his head, "I have a few errands to run."

"A few errands? What errands are more important than finding my sister?" Tristan placed his hands on his hips, again pushing his chin out.

Jax ignored him, "Listen Roberto, you know I'm here for you but something's wrong with Dani. I need to check on her. I know her shift ended ten minutes ago but she's not picking up her cell. I just want to make sure she's alright."

"You're going to go on a date? Instead of finding my sister?" Tristan's mouth was open in disbelief.

Jax could feel his fists clenching, "Listen you-"

"Go!" Roberto cut them both off from having an argument. "Go check on her. You care about her and you should spend as much time with her as possible. You never know when that time will be up.

Twenty minutes later Jax was walking down the corridor that led to Dani's apartment. His eyes were focused on her door, wondering why she hadn't been picking up her phone. Had she been taken like Gladys? His blood ran cold at the thought and he quickened his pace. He pounded on the door and was relieved when he heard Dani's voice.

"Who is it?"

"Dani? It's me, Jax!"

She quickly opened the door, "Jax? What are you doing here so-"

Jax pulled Dani forward and held her tight, "Thank God you're okay."

"What's wrong, Jax?"

"You weren't answering your phone and I was worried."

"I'm fine," she said. Dani leaned back, a sly smile on her face, "I have to admit that it feels nice to have someone worry about me."

"Do you know what would feel even nicer?" Jax asked.

"No, what?"

"This," he leaned forward and kissed Dani on her lips.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

461K 40.2K 31
(Book IV in the Dream Series) How do you fight a nightmare? Dani Deleon has always been able to see the nightmares of others. When an evil creature b...
290 22 10
Pinterest Writing Prompt: "Every so often a dream catcher must be 'emptied' of the nightmares it has caught. Who does it and what do they see?" Jayl...
Dream Catcher By SheHopes

Mystery / Thriller

2.2M 146K 33
[COMPLETED] (BOOK I IN THE DREAM SERIES) Dani Deleon has a problem. With a single touch, she can see people's nightmares. When she starts to see the...
126K 8.6K 53
When the three gods of the dream world accidentally caused a mass homicide, their father, Erebus, decided to punish them and send them to the mortal...