PROJECT SPARTA

By bbgallagher

A former #1 AMAZON Kindle download! A Wattpad Featured story. Project Sparta is "Maze Runner" meets "The Bour... More

AUTHOR'S DEDICATION
Discussion Thread
Project's Credo
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
Author's Note
THE WRITER'S CUT

CHAPTER 20

3.3K 176 5
By bbgallagher

The Compound

2010

Xander ached through the recovery in the Infirmary but his deep contemplation took the edge off. He had begun devising his plan on how to set up reconnaissance on Fiona. Not only was he determined to carry out his mission as assigned, but he had to know for sure – for himself. He knew he had been emotionally comprised but he had to stay on point.

Nursing a few fractured ribs, a sprained ankle and a concussion, Xander's body remained entrenched in the infirmary bed throughout the three days of recovery. He had become mentally exhausted from his analyses of different courses of action. He knew his plan, the only question was whether his body would be ready to carry it out in time.

Xander sucked in a deep breath. A crippling pain shot into his abdomen, as his lungs inflated against his fractured ribs. A brief thought surfaced about his point total from the battle, but he did not let the leaderboard concern him. He had been deployed for active service, but since he was confined to the bed, he was left to the storm of his own speculation.

Am I the only Spartan who is currently on assignment? Is someone monitoring my activity? Would there be surveillance in my house when I return? To effectively set up surveillance, I'll need time. The other Spartans need to be in class.

His eyes found the high window above his bed.

I'll need to retrieve the surveillance equipment tonight. I can't be seen by anyone. Cusick should be in the Mainframe as he is usually is late at night, but how do I get their unseen...

Xander's eyes found the corner of the ward. There, a camera angled down over the room. It was the only surveillance camera in the Compound, used in case of medical emergencies. Xander wondered who was watching from the other end. Regardless, he would have to make his move.

Xander could see the twilight dome overhead through a skylight in the Infirmary. Doctor Rodgers had left for the night, so the only attendant of the Infirmary was Nurse Jenny. He noticed a new issue of People magazine poking out of her bag when she clocked in. He knew this would keep her busy in the office for the time he needed.

"Okay, here are some sleeping pills that will help you rest through the night." Nurse Jenny brought Xander a paper cup with two orange pills in it. Xander thought how nice sleep would be and threw back the pill like a shot. He swallowed. Nurse Jenny saw his budding Adam's apple drop and left him to his bed.

"Get some sleep... You're going home tomorrow..." she spoke through a comforting smile.

Xander couldn't help but chuckle.

Home? You're kidding me? I've never had a home, I live in a house in a top secret compound deep underground... You really mean to tell me this is supposed to be home?

Nurse Jenny had retreated to the back office which was detached from the Infirmary ward. She hit the lights on the way, leaving Xander in the dark. After a few moments, he heard the quick flapping of a magazine as if someone had flung open a newspaper. He knew that was his cue and so his tongue came out of his mouth with two orange pills steadied on it. He inserted them into the crack between his mattress and frame and then grabbed the top pillow off of three nearby beds to stuff his bed. Xander then stepped up and through the small window, overlooking his bed. The pain shot out from his quivering ribs, but Xander swallowed it down, before it could escape his lips.

He dropped onto the snowy Compound floor and jogged low and discretely to the Armory. He waited by the window for thirty seconds or so but didn't see any flashes. He dropped into the Armory through a small window and whimpered upon landing. After the pang subdued, he was able to find his footing and realized that he was standing in the middle of the gun range. He turned to the shooting mats and was surprised to see someone there aiming a gun down the range toward him.

"Freeze, dirt bag!" The dark buzz cut of Duke could be seen over the hammer of the pistol.

"You better watch where your aiming that, Duke, you could really put an eye out with that thing," Duke didn't lower his weapon, as he enjoyed the momentary position of power. Duke eyeballed his infirmary robes, as his frosted bare feet stepped closer to him.

"What are you doing? You are supposed to be in the Infirmary. Why didn't you come in through the front door?"

Xander stopped within an arm's reach of Duke's outstretched 9mm Remington. Duke's interrogating demeanor told Xander that he knew something was amiss. Xander realized that the curiosity of a teenager mixed with the ego of a school bully was a dangerous combination.

Xander's nerves didn't hit because of the gun pointed at him, rather the question that was pointed at him. His mind was working at the speed of light, diagnosing the problem and the consequences of each possible answer. The highways of cognition sped around his head like stock cars. Xander found the best answer and went with it.

"I came here because I've been given a top secret mission by our commanders to set up surveillance on Fiona. So, I snuck out of the Infirmary and through the window to avoid being seen by any of the others because I figured I should make my move while people still had forgotten me." He hadn't taken a breath throughout the whole confession.

Duke thought over what had just been said, he took his time as he eyed Xander up and down, as if Xander had just pushed his chips all-in and Duke was trying to get a read on him. Duke cocked the pistol in his hand releasing a bullet into the chamber. He aimed his sight over the barrel of the gun at Xander, combing him for nerves and relishing the moments of intimidation.

Duke uncocked the gun and released it from its aim. He started laughing.

"I didn't know you orphans had a sense of humor! Play your games, Xander. I thought you were getting too old to play make-believe, but then again you are the youngest here..."

Duke shook his head, laughing to himself, as Xander exited out of the side window.

"What a weird kid..." he muttered to himself.

Xander was exposed outside the Armory but his white hospital gown helped him blend in with the snow that continued to fall. He huddled over a jog, low and fast.

Then he stopped dead.

Chatter approached.

Xander ducked behind one of the many air conditioning units along the side of the Mainframe. He laid flat against the unit, frozen as Jooles and Seamus passed. His bare toes gripped the frost and slowly became numb. He could hear Seamus's impression of Captain Axle, barking orders over the hum of the air conditioner units and Jooles's laughter in response. When clear, Xander bolted for the front door, shaking the blood flow back to his feet as he ran.

Inside the Mainframe, an electronic beat thumped through the speakers - it was "Idioteque" from Radiohead. The lights were off so the only illumination came from the glowing computer monitors suspended from the ceiling. Cusick sat at the head chair, navigating computer language platforms at such a quick speed one could think there was a glitch in the system. He got to a stopping point, cut the music and spun around to see who had just entered.

"Xander? Is that you?" Cusick squinted through his glasses to see the figure take shape in the shadows. His eyes adjusted from the glare of the monitors.

"I believe you have something for me..." Xander materialized through the darkness.

"Yes, yes... I've been expecting you." Cusick waddled over to a corner cabinet and produced a small case of surveillance equipment. With one swipe of his arm, he cleared the hardware clutter from the table and placed the case on it.

"I've got some great cutting edge tech for you, some of which I programmed myself," Cusick explained with an air of pride. He snapped the locks on the case and opened it, revealing the contents to Xander. There before him were seven button-sized cameras, a few coils of connecting wires, a tube shaped device and a monitor with a small antenna, folded to its side. Cusick picked up the camera and displayed it for Xander's view.

"You have here seven mini-cameras all with a high definition lens on one side and cyanoacrylate adhesive on the other. These cameras will relay a feed to this monitor here, it is touch screen enabled so you can view multiple feeds at the same time." Cusick placed the cameras back into their proper place within the case.

"What about that?" Xander asked, pointing to the tube shaped device.

"I call this the 'Launcher'. So you will most likely want these cameras with high vantage points. You can load this light-saber looking device and press this button here to shoot a camera out, upon impact the adhesive will hold."

Cusick demonstrated by pointing the Launcher toward one of the computer monitors in the Mainframe and pressed the button. A camera flew out of it, like it was shot out of cannon, and clung to the monitor at the point of contact.

"Impressive!" Xander smiled. "Thanks Cusick..." but the smile fell as the realization of his mission resurfaced. He paused a moment before closing up the case and exiting.

"You don't think Fiona could be..." Xander led the question. Cusick's lips crumpled at the thought, his empathetic eyes settled upon him.

"I don't know... I'm not a spy, Xander... I'm just a computer nerd. But there is one thing I know, when it comes to Project Sparta... nothing is as it seems." Xander nodded as he picked up the case and hastened for the door, but before leaving he responded over his shoulder.

"Let's hope that's the case"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Like it? Don't forget to Vote and Comment! What did you think?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9K 211 43
Sana is the student of IT (Information Technology). Or should I say she was . She can hack every device she wants but she never try to do it because...
The Hunters By Steve CS

Science Fiction

90 0 6
Instead of a compelling description like one might find on a book's jacket, let me do this: The character basis is "Dexter meets Harley Quinn", in a...
680K 9K 29
NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER -- Marcus, a.k.a “w1n5t0n,” is only seventeen years old, but he figures he already knows how the system works–and how to wo...
18.2K 251 14
Y/n is a descendant of Eddie Brock. Throughout the years, his family has been hosting Venom. When Y/n was a child, she had begun hosting Venom. Then...