If I Take That Chance

By SherlySusan

On her wedding day, Sam Sheppard would have bolted out of the door if she hadn't remembered why she agrees to... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Epilogue
Short stories
One morning in Russo's kitchen
She Is In My Shirt 1
She is In My Shirt 2
One Beautiful Morning
My Perfect Goddess
House Chores
I Love You
Dreams
How to Please a Girlfriend
He doesn't Love Me
Red Lingerie
Kiss Me
The Bachelors Auction

Chapter 12

41.4K 1K 30
By SherlySusan

"I like your style, you look just like Bruce Willis in Die Hard. If only you have a gun or something. I'll make sure to send a camera crew to follow you next time." Luke took a seat in front of her on the dining table, grinning from ear to ear.  

"Will you still be impressed if you had to bail me from the police station for my dangerous driving?" 

"Of course! Especially when you stood up for me." He gazed at her with an unreadable expression. 

"I was just trying to tell her off," she mumbled and looked down at her almost empty plate "Gossip just spreads faster than a bullet," she mumbled. 

"But I admired her honesty. She told me everything and apologized as well." 

"She's kindhearted but just a little nuts sometimes."  

"What do you mean by if someone tried to take me from you?" Luke suddenly threw an unexpected question. 

"What?" Sam froze. 

"Gina specifically told me that you seemed upset." 

"I didn't say those things." She stood up and cleaned her table. 

"Sam!" Luke held her wrist and pulled her to sit down. "What is it? Something has been upsetting you. You sleep restlessly lately." 

"I am okay, you're imagining things, Luke." She pushed a smile. 

"Sam, I know you're lying." He leaned back and folded his arms waiting for her confession. 

"I am fine, Luke, trust me." 

"You know I will bug you till you tell me what's going on," he warned her. Sam just rolled her eyes.

***

"What happened to Alicia?" Luke sat on the edge of their bed that night and tried to sew a loose button back to his shirt. 

"Gina sacked her." Sam left her magazine and looked at him before extending her arms. "Give me that shirt." 

"Gina sacked her? Why?" He looked shocked. 

"Well, she broke company rules." 

"Which are?" 

"She behaved inappropriately with you and she brought weed to work." 

"What do you mean she behaved inappropriately with me? I thought that stupid rule was removed." 

"Gina saw both of you kissing, and since you're the heir of Tony Russo and I am your wife, she had no choice. She had to sack her to save our marriage. Besides, the weed part is enough to get rid of her anyway."  

Sam continued sewing and tried to act cool, but she saw in a split second that his blood drained from his face; he looked as pale as his white shirt. "I saw you too. If you want to do it, at least find a place that is hidden. I don't want people to laugh at me behind my back and think that I am being cheated." 

"It's not like what you think," he stuttered. 

"What I think is not important, Luke. You don't have to explain anything to me," she said coldly. 

"Of course I have to explain it to you." 

"I don't want to hear it," she refused stubbornly. 

"Sam, please . . ." 

"Luke, you kissing Alicia has nothing to do with me. I am happy for you. You are back with your first love. It's only natural." She looked at him sharply. 

"I was caught off guard." 

"Luke, I told you, I don't really care. Here's your shirt." She threw his shirt to his lap and placed the needle carefully in the sewing box before putting it on her bedside. 

"Sam . . ." 

"Good night, Luke." She quickly lay down, switched off her light and turned her back to him. 

"Sam!" She was taken aback when Luke suddenly sat on her side. He switched the light back on and peeled off her blanket to see her face. 

"Listen to me," he begged. 

Sam snatched her blanket back and covered her suddenly warm eyes. She slammed herself back to the mattress, frustrated by herself. "Go away," she mumbled. 

"Hey . . ." He tried to pull her hands away from her face, but she resisted. 

"Sam, I am sorry," he said softly to her ear. His hand rubbed her back in a shooting motion. 

"Don't touch me. Just go away!" Sam yelled under her blanket. 

"She's addicted to drugs. I was just trying to help. Yes, we kissed. She told me she still has feelings for me. She doesn't have anyone right now, and if I pushed her away, she will fall deeper into drugs. I wanted to talk her out of it so she could go to rehab. I went to her apartment few times so I could talk to her." 

Sam cried harder. She didn't care anymore about what Luke's going to think about her, but his last words about him seeing Alicia outside work without her knowing triggered a strange feeling inside her heart, just like a million needles had stabbed her chest, and it hurt like hell. She never had this experience before. Her brain tried to figure it out, but it couldn't give her a satisfactory answer. She tried to stop her tears, but they only flowed harder.  

She felt his arm scoop her body up and brought her into his embrace. She tried to fight back, but he was just too strong for her. He pulled her head down to his chest, wrapped her body tightly against his, and rocked her back and forth. 

"I am sorry . . . I am sorry . . ." She could hear him whispering to her ear. She sobbed loudly. She still tried to move away from him, but she didn't have the strength; her muscles were simply too tired to be stressed for too long. She was feeling hot and sweaty; her breathing was heavy. She hiccupped few times, and she finally gave in. She pulled herself into his arms and cried. 

Luke closed his eyes in dismay. How on earth could he be that stupid? He was confused, he wanted to tell her how he felt about her, but her closeness toward Manuel made him hesitate. He almost gave up on her, and honestly, he felt something jolt inside his heart when he met Alicia. He let her kiss him, he wanted to know that he was already over her, and he did. He was happy, very happy that he was finally free. 

He loved Sam; it was only her that could turn his world upside down with just a smile. His life was perfect now, even though they were pretending, but he was happy enough that he could see her beautiful face every morning and spend time with her every evening. There was nothing else he wanted in this world except the hope that Sam would never leave him. He took care of his heart and swore to give it only for Sam, yet he kissed another woman. He couldn't understand himself. A pang of guilt hit him hard, and he cringed. 

He wasn't sure why Sam was crying. He knew Sam didn't love him, or did she? He soon shook his head. He wouldn't dare guess. He had no experience with women. He had only dated once. How was he supposed to know what Sam was thinking right now? All he knew was that he had hurt her and his heart was broken into a million pieces, feeling her in his arms shaking like a terrified puppy. He gently stroked her damp hair; he didn't know what to say.  

Sam's breathing was calmer. She moved a little, and Luke quickly loosened his arms, expecting her to move away, but she stayed. She adjusted her head position. She went deeper into the crook of his neck so she could be more comfortable. She took a shuddering breath. Her fingers still clutched the blanket that was now wet from her tears.  

"I am sorry," he repeated himself. He stroked her cheek. 

Sam sniffed. "No, I am sorry. I didn't know." 

"Didn't know what?" 

"That you're still in love with her and I was in the way," she whispered. Tears started to fall down her cheeks one more time, knowing that she was lying to him. 

"What?" Luke tensed, shocked by her statement. 

"I was in the way, wasn't I? You didn't tell me anything about her. It's okay, Luke, I understand. I can speak to a lawyer tomorrow so we can go our separate ways soon."  

"No, no, no . . ." Luke panicked, he frantically tightened his arms that were still wrapped around her. "No, don't! Please, not now."  

Sam sighed, somehow relieved by his answer. "Then tell me what you want." 

"I won't see her again, I promise."  

"I don't care, Luke, you can see her as much as you want," she stubbornly responded. 

"No, I won't! I won't see her anymore, and you're not in the way," he quickly added. 

Suddenly, a relief ran through her veins, just like cold water in a hot day when she heard what he said. Sam felt light-headed, all her tension was gone, she started to yawn. She closed her eyes, and settled herself in his embrace. Just once, she wanted to enjoy his attention, just once she let her guard down and be herself, a woman that is in love and vulnerable. She felt so natural, curled up inside his arms. He was warm and firm. Her nose was just few millimeters away from his neck and she could smell his masculine scent. This is the closest she could get with him and she was happy enough. Listening to his steady heartbeat, she had soon fallen asleep.

***

"Oh dear, oh dear. were you crying last night?" Gina's eyebrows shot up, looking at Sam's puffy eyes the next morning. 

"Yeah, what else. Can I talk to you?" Sam walked into Gina's office and closed the door. 

"Sure, what's up?" 

"By the way, how was your date with Joseph?" she asked out of politeness. 

"It's fine, Sam, you always want to please people, even with puffy eyes like that. Just spill it already." 

Sam smiled with Gina's bluntness. "Can you organize someone to check on Alicia, and maybe send her to rehab? I will clear it up with finance about the cost." 

"Oh?" 

"We're worried about her well-being." 

"Sam? Are you feeling okay?"  

"I am fine, Gina." 

"Really? That woman kissed your husband and tried to steal him from you. You gave her a job, but she betrayed you. Are you sure you want to do this?" 

"Gina, this is about her life. Please?" 

Gina sighed heavily. "I should tell you this earlier. Alicia told everyone that she slept with Luke a few times last month. She told the girls in great detail about how great he was in bed!" 

"What?" Sam's whole body tensed. 

"Luckily no one believe her. You know, with a look like that, you can easily fantasize him in bed."  

"Gina!" 

"Sorry, Sam, he's unreal, the girls can't help themselves. So I've told you her sin, do you still want to do this?" Gina smirked. 

"Yes. Please help her." Sam sighed. 

"Seriously, Sam, I am trying to protect you!" 

"Thank you, Gina, I know it. But she needs help, and when I can help, I will. Please do this for me?" 

"Fine. I'll see what I can do. Now get out from here and watch your husband. He causes chaos everywhere he goes." She grinned. 

"Thanks, Gina, you're the best." Sam smiled back. 

"Oh, oh. Before you go . . . how was the makeup sex?" 

"Oh my god, you're unbelievable!" Sam rolled her eyes but soon giggled when she heard her laughing.

***

Sam's phone rang at one in the morning. She looked for her phone with her eyes still closed. "Yes?" she answered. 

"Come quick, I am in the ICU, Royal Prince Alfred hospital[G1]. Alicia tried to commit suicide." Gina's panicky voice made her jump and open her eyes widely in a split second.

Sam ran to the ICU from the car park; her messy hair was ponytailed behind her head. Luke followed from behind. 

"How is she?" Sam asked Gina when she saw her sitting in the waiting room. She looked as messy as her. 

"The doctor is operating her right now. She cut herself. Her neighbor called me. Luckily I left my number with him the last time I visited Alicia. He said she tried to call Luke a few times, but he wouldn't answer. She got a panic attack and suddenly cut herself. She made a lot of noise beforehand, that's why he was able to hear it and went to check on her. Oh my god, Sam, you were right, if I didn't check on her like what you said, she would be probably dead by now." 

Sam started to sob, guilt rushed into her heart, her shoulders shook hard. She propped her elbows on her knees and covered her face with her palms. Luke rushed to her side and hugged her. 

"Oh god, it's my fault," she whispered. 

"No, no. Don't say that," Luke stopped her softly. 

"It was my fault," she insisted. 

Gina stared at her, she didn't know what's going on. 

"Gina, please give us a moment?" Luke begged, she nodded and walked away. "I am going to make some phone calls," she mumbled. 

"Sam, listen to me!" He lifted her chin to look at him and she obeyed. 

"It is not your fault. You did your best to help her." 

"But if I didn't say anything that night to you, you'll be with her now and she wouldn't be here." Her lips were trembling. 

"It's not you who stopped me. I am the one who doesn't want to see her anymore."  

"It's still my fault." She started to sob again. 

"Oh, Sam . . ." Luke sighed; he gathered her in his arms. 

It was five in the morning, a nurse woke them up and told them that Alicia was now in a stable condition and she wanted to speak to Luke. He looked at Sam, asking for her permission, and when she nodded he quickly followed the nurse to the recovery room. 

Sam was sitting by herself when a tall thin man about her age walked into the waiting room. His hair mushy and he got dark circles around his eyes, showing that he didn't have enough sleep for a week or two. He looked lost and worried. "Gina?" he asked tentatively. 

"She went out to get some coffee. Who are you?" 

"Hi, I am Alicia's husband, Michael." he quickly offered his hand and Sam shook it. "Sam," she introduced herself. 

"Gina called me., I rushed here from Newcastle. How's Alicia?" he asked carefully as if he didn't want to hear any bad news. 

"She's fine, my husband's with her right now." Sam gave him a reassuring smile. She could see his face had lit up slightly. 

"Thank God!" He smiled back in relief and took a seat next to her.  

"I didn't know that she had a husband," Sam asked curiously. 

"Ah, yeah, we separated." Mike replied, looking down to the floor. 

"I am sorry, I shouldn't have asked." She regretted her question. 

"No, that's okay. She left me few months ago. I didn't know that she was in depression. I begged her to come home but she didn't want to. She said she found another man, so I gave up and left her alone. I shouldn't have given up on her." he covered his face with his hands. 

"Did you know that she had drug problem?" Sam asked carefully. 

"Yes. We've been fighting for a long time. I tried to take her to rehab but she always refused. I don't know what to do anymore. I love her so much, but she didn't believe me. I guess I worked too hard, I rarely had time for her." 

"Oh," was all Sam could say. 

"We had financial difficulties, I had to work two jobs while she worked as a freelance makeup artist." 

"I hired her before, she has a good hand. I liked her work, but we found out that she had a drug problem so we sacked her. It's our company policy, I am sorry." 

"I know. She got sacked few times in the past for the same reason. That's why she moved to Sydney and left me in Newcastle." His words were cut short when he saw Luke walked out in the corridor. "Luke?" he hesitated for a while and waited until he could see clearer. "Is that you?" He abruptly stood up and rushed to his side, he shook his hand and continued by giving him a warm hug. 

Luke was startled for a while, and when he realized who he was, he hugged him back.  

"I am so glad to see you again." Luke tapped his back rather strongly. 

"Yeah, what are you doing here?" Mike asked. 

"I just finished talking to Alicia, she's fine now, you can see her." Luke sobered. 

Mike looked at him and soon realized something, "So she came to Sydney to see you?" he asked carefully, his voice sad. 

"No, she came here so she can get job with better money for you. She loves you, Mike, don't give up on her. Now go and see her, she's waiting." Luke smiled reassuringly. 

Mike stared at him for a while before he nodded and rushed himself to Alicia's room, followed by Luke's empty stare. 

"Are you all right?" Sam rubbed Luke's arm softly and brought him back to the present time. "Who is he?" 

"My best friend in uni, Alicia left me for him." 

"Oh, Luke . . ." Sam quickly circled her arms around his waist and pressed her body tightly against his. He hugged back and rested his head on top of hers. His breathing was slightly heavy and his heart was beating faster. 

"Are you all right?" Sam tilted her head up so she could take a good look at his face. 

"Yes, I just didn't expect to see him again." He sighed; his eyes were glassy. 

Sam tiptoed to give him a kiss on his cheek. "Is Alicia all right?" 

"Yeah, she's fine. She said she was sorry for everything. She was desperate, she needed money. She has also agreed to go to rehab. I promised her to find her a job." 

"I can take her back," Sam offered. 

"No! You've done enough, Sam. I didn't expect you to ask Gina about rehab and everything." 

"Luke, I am fine. I like her work." Sam squished his hand. "Let me take her back, okay?"  

He finally nodded, admiring her sincerity. 

"Let's go home?" She pulled herself apart from him and took his hand. Slowly he followed her out from the hospital and drove home.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

606K 63.7K 25
في وسط دهليز معتم يولد شخصًا قاتم قوي جبارً بارد يوجد بداخل قلبهُ شرارةًُ مُنيرة هل ستصبح الشرارة نارًا تحرق الجميع أم ستبرد وتنطفئ ماذا لو تلون الأ...
834K 25.6K 23
Adam Devin Crighton was in love with Rhea Ivy Palmer ever since he could remember. But whatever he did, his love was only one-sided. What was he supp...
286K 12.1K 20
Meet Damon Bolt. His deceased father gave him an ultimatum in his will. Marry or lose everything he has worked his whole life for. Meet Shalimar Smit...
325K 11.3K 36
Sandra Stone is happy in her life. She has a decent job, a nice home, a best friend, good friends, and although she ran away from her adopted parents...