If I Take That Chance

By SherlySusan

On her wedding day, Sam Sheppard would have bolted out of the door if she hadn't remembered why she agrees to... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Epilogue
Short stories
One morning in Russo's kitchen
She Is In My Shirt 1
She is In My Shirt 2
One Beautiful Morning
My Perfect Goddess
House Chores
I Love You
Dreams
How to Please a Girlfriend
He doesn't Love Me
Red Lingerie
Kiss Me
The Bachelors Auction

Chapter 8

41.7K 1.2K 35
By SherlySusan

"Hi, am I interrupting something?" Sam poked her head around Luke's glass office door. He was staring into his computer screen intently. 

His face brightened up when he saw her. "Hi, what are you doing here?" he asked, standing up from his chair and giving her a hug. 

"Um, what's that for?" Sam asked and smiled back. 

"Oh nothing. I just missed you," he replied lightly and held her hands. 

"Very romantic." She rolled her eyes. 

Luke chuckled. "I could do more . . . ," he said, tilting her chin up with his index finger ready to drop a kiss on her lips. 

"Stop it." Sam grabbed his hand and held it still. "I am here to give you the last piece of the design so you can put them all together. She fished inside her handbag and pulled out a USB stick. "Why are they staring at us?" she lowered her voice as soon as she realized that some of his colleagues were standing up and peeking from their pods to look at them. 

"Oh good, I was waiting for this." Luke ignored her question. He took the memory stick from her hand and placed it on his desk. He glanced at his screen briefly, suddenly pulled Sam closer to him, and kissed her hard on the lips. Sam lost her balance and fell sideways. Her arms frantically wrapped around Luke's neck to keep herself standing straight. 

"Uh . . ." She broke the kiss and looked up at him, startled. 

"Sorry, I have to prove to them that the sexy blonde in the short skirt is mine." He replied lightly, turning his computer screen toward her. She could see a chat window opened with some wording, informing Luke that a sexy blonde in a short skirt was approaching his office. Another line from a different person was saying that he wouldn't mind taking her for a drink and another one agreed. 

"Sexy blonde?" Sam asked, amused. 

"Told ya you're sexy," Luke answered. His hand was still holding Sam's hips possessively. He then raised his thumb up to his colleagues through the glass wall and Sam could hear them cheering outside. 

"Oh, you won the trophy?" Sam said in annoyance. She dropped her arms from his neck and pulled down her skirt, suddenly feeling self-conscious. 

He stopped grinning, "I am sorry, I shouldn't do that. I guess I just got carried away thinking of you as my wife." His expression turned serious.  

"It's okay. You paid me to do this," Sam replied lightly even though that was exactly what's in her mind as well.  

"Guess what?" He then spoke happily. 

"What? Must be good news."  

"I saw Mom walk into Dad's office half an hour ago!" he said. 

"Oh!" She got mixed feelings between happy and worry at the same time. 

"Yeah, in fact, I want to have a peek." He pulled her hand and walked slowly in the corridor toward Tony's office. 

"I don't think this is appropriate," she whispered. 

"No. But I don't care," he whispered back. 

Sam smiled, looking at him. He looked so happy just like a kid playing hide and seek. 

They reached Tony's office within seconds. His assistant's desk was clean and his office door slightly ajar. 

"Where's Sofia?"  

"Sofia's moved to Perth."  

They are now right in front of the door and Sam could see a slim and gorgeous figure kissing Tony. 

"Is that your Mom? I never seen her in person, she's gorgeous," Sam said in a low voice. 

"Yeah." 

"No wonder," Sam mumbled. 

"What?" Luke turned his head looking at her curiously. 

"Hey, you two, what are you doing here?" Tony was standing in the doorway holding the door knob. 

"Hi, Dad. I just saw Mom walk in so I want to say hi." Luke straightened his body and looked embarrassed. 

"Luke, honey . . . ," came a voice behind Tony's back. Anna extended her hand toward her son. She was a beautiful looking lady in her fifties with olive skin, brown almond eyes, and a long black hair trimmed perfectly behind her back. She dressed beautifully, following the fashion trend of this year. Her high heels made her legs looked longer and slimmer. She wore dark eye shadows and mascara to make her already beautiful eyes stand out more. Her full lips looked moist and slightly swollen from kissing her husband.  

Luke hugged his mom warmly and stayed like that for a while. 

They finally broke up and Anna looked at Sam in admiration. "Is this Sam? I've heard so much about you. It's so strange that I've never met you for the last three years. I guess I was too busy working overseas. I am sorry I didn't come to your wedding . . ." She trailed off and looked up to Tony for help. He smiled and touched her shoulder signaling her that everyone understood about her absence. 

"It's okay, Mrs. Rus-"  

"Oh, honey, call me Anna. I am so glad to finally meet my gorgeous daughter-in-law. Come here," she cut Sam off and gave her a warm hug. 

"Luke, can I steal your wife for lunch? I am starving. Do you want to have lunch with me, honey? We have a lot to talk about." She looked at Sam and smiled brightly. Sam nodded. 

"Sure, Mom, I'll stay here with Dad. We still have a few things to discuss." Luke beamed. 

Anna then kissed Tony on his lips passionately and left him startled. She walked away holding Sam's hand. Luke laughed at Sam's confused expression and waved at her. "Have fun."

"Has my son treated you right, sweetheart?" Anna asked, sipping her coffee. They were sitting in a fancy café close to the Russos' headquarters. 

"Yes, he takes care of me," Sam answered honestly. 

"Good. I am glad that you're happy with him." She smiled, satisfied. "I am so happy that he found you. He's been lonely since Alicia left him seven years ago." 

Sam frowned. "What happened?" 

Anna was startled for a while, and then she clasped her hand on her mouth. "Oh, he didn't tell you?" 

Sam shook her head. 

"That is so my boy, very private, rarely shares anything with anyone. Alicia was his first crush, when they were in uni. They went out for about a year, and she left him for another man. Luke was brokenhearted and never had a girlfriend until he met you. " 

"For four years?"  

Anna smiled at Sam's astonishment and cupped her cheek. "He has a very gentle soul and always feels insecure. He doesn't fall in love easily, but when he does, he'll devote his life to her. I may not be around him a lot, but I am his mother. I know him well. And I know he loves you, Sam."  

"Yeah, I know he does." Sam let her guard down and grinned happily. She couldn't help herself for feeling flattered but also a little bit sad as Anna's judgment about her son's feeling toward her was wrong.  

Anna held her hand and smiled at her warmly, but she soon sobered. "I am sure you heard what happened with Tony and I . . . I am so sorry I didn't come to the wedding. Luke must have been upset." She finally opened up. "My only son getting married and I wasn't there."  

"Anna, it is okay, we understand." Sam squeezed her fingers. 

"Thank you Sam. I wished I didn't . . ." She stopped and looked at Sam, asking for her understanding. 

"I know. I hope you and Tony are fine now."  

"Yes, we are. I came back a few weeks ago and didn't have the courage to meet him. He called my mobile all the time, sending e-mails every day trying to apologize." She sighed. "It should be me who should apologize to him a long time ago. I was just too proud. Gosh, I missed him." Anna's eyes looked watery.  

Sam squeezed her hand. 

"I didn't expect Tony would cheat on me, but I think I deserve it, after all I did to him and for ignoring him for too long. I am just glad I took the chance to come to his office today and talk to him." Sam could see relief creeping out from her eyes.  

"Tony missed you," Sam said. 

"Really?" Anna looked shocked. 

"I often saw him in his study room staring at your photograph." Sam smiled. 

A few tears rolled down Anna's face. She laughed nervously then wiped her cheeks.  

"Yes, he did that often. Even Pops said so."  

"Oh, I am so glad you told me this. I love him dearly, but I guess we both got carried away by work and ignored each other for way too long." Anna hugged Sam tightly. "I hope both of you will enjoy each other's company more than us, Sam. Don't be carried away by work too much, it's not worth it." 

"We will, Anna." Sam smiled. "Are you going to go home with us then?" 

"I think I will ask Tony to go back with me to our beach house for a while. We need to catch up . . . you know what I mean?" she said looking embarrassed. 

Sam laughed softly. 

"Talking about that, when will you have kids?" Anna changed the subject. 

"I . . . I . . ." Sam gaped. 

"Ah, what an insensitive person I am. You want to enjoy my sexy son a bit longer, don't you?" She winked. 

Sam blushed furiously. 

"It's okay, honey. I was like that with my Tony. We were married for three years before we decided to have Luke." "By the way, what are you doing after lunch? Do you have to go back to your work?" Anna changed the subject again. She's obviously a very cheerful lady. 

"I think I don't have to, I could call my assistant to cover up for me." Sam thought for a while. 

"Good! I want to go shopping and I was hoping you can take me to interesting places. And I think you need a full-service spa, honey. You look tired, your skin says so." She touched Sam's cheek slightly then her hair. "Facial, manicure, pedicure. Oh, your eyebrows, tidy those up too. And a haircut!" She nodded to herself. "No matter how tired Luke is, he'll make love to you tonight coz you'll look stunning!" She smiled.

***

"I like your new hair." Luke was eyeing his wife thoroughly. "Hmm . . . those eyebrows . . . very nice." 

"Thank you, sir. Your mom tortured me for half the day. She took me to this beauty salon that looked like it was going to put a hole in your pocket for a haircut, then we had spa. I never felt so stressed in my whole life, sat there doing nothing. But the massage definitely felt good." 

Luke laughed. "It's good that you feel relaxed now." He lay on the bed and pulled his blanket up to cover his chest. 

"Yes, I feel good." Sam followed, going under the blanket on her side. 

"You know, your mom looks so happy." She stared at the ceiling, remembering their conversation this afternoon. 

"They love each other, but they're too proud to admit it. I don't understand them sometimes." Luke sighed. 

"Just like you," Sam said, turning her head to him. 

"Me?" Luke said, lifting his eyebrows, clearly amused. 

"Yes, you. What's the story with this woman that you love for so long but you didn't want to tell her?" 

"I wanted to, but I am afraid." Luke corrected her. 

"And too proud. You're too proud to get no for an answer," Sam said smugly. 

Luke stared at her thinking. "Maybe . . . ," he mumbled. 

"You need to take the chance, Luke. Look at your parents, they are happy now because they took the chance to fix the problem," Sam explained. 

"Hmm . . . I guess you're right." 

"I know I am," Sam said, looking thoughtful before changing the topic. "Your mom told me about your first girlfriend." Sam propped herself up with her elbows and carefully looked at him. 

Luke sighed heavily. "What did she say?" 

"You tell me. But I understand if you don't want to talk about it." She extended her hand to caress his hair gently, sympathizing.  

Luke shoved both hands behind his head and stared at the ceiling, "I thought I was in love with her and was brokenhearted when she left me, but since I've known my princess, I realized that Alicia was nothing."  

"How come you never tell me anything? You know everything about my love life." 

Luke smiled. "It's because mine wasn't as interesting as yours." 

Sam pouted. "Mine were about the same like yours, cheated or lied to. Nothing was exciting." 

"We both are miserable, aren't we?" 

"Well, at least you've found someone now. I am so happy for you." She flipped back and wrapped herself in her blanket, feeling amazed by how truly happy she was for Luke. "While me? I have no one," said Sam. She suddenly felt lonely. 

"Don't be silly, you have me." Luke ensured her by rubbing her upper arm.  

"Thank you, you're too good to me, Luke. But I really want you to tell her how you feel before it's too late!" 

"All right, all right . . . I'll tell her. What will you do if you were me then?" Luke asked.  

Sam thought for a while before answering. "I think I will take her to a nice candlelit dinner, dance with her, hug her tightly, and tell her how I feel." 

"Sounds good. What song do you think I should play?" Luke turned his body toward Sam so that he could see her better. 

"Something slow and romantic. Let me think . . . ah, that old song 'I've Got a Crush on You,' that was romantic." Sam was humming softly. 

Luke smiled. "What else?" 

"Why, you don't like that one?"  

"I don't have that song in my collection," Luke answered. 

Sam laughed. "Okay, what about 'If You Ever Leave Me' by Barbra Streisand and Vince Gill." 

"Hmm . . . I have that one, hang on." He grabbed his phone from his nightstand and started to press some buttons. 

"Oh, I didn't know you keep romantic music in your phone." Sam giggled. She adjusted her pillow, ready to have a listen. 

"I am a romantic guy, you know." He grinned. 

Slowly the music started playing. "Hmm . . ." She closed her eyes and sighed contently, listening to the opening tones[G1]. 

Luke stared at her with mixed feelings in his eyes. He pulled his hand out from under the blanket to touch her, but he changed his mind. He could see that she had fallen asleep in the middle of the song. Her chest was moving softly in the same rhythm of her breathing. Her lips smiled slightly; she seemed to be imagining the scenario that they talked about before.  

Luke sighed deeply and turned off his mobile phone before switching off his light. "I love you, Sam," he whispered.

[G1]Please recast for clarity.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

617K 64.3K 25
في وسط دهليز معتم يولد شخصًا قاتم قوي جبارً بارد يوجد بداخل قلبهُ شرارةًُ مُنيرة هل ستصبح الشرارة نارًا تحرق الجميع أم ستبرد وتنطفئ ماذا لو تلون الأ...
279K 7.8K 28
This story is about how Sakura hears her team mates calling her weak and soon leaves the village with a mysterious woman. This will lead Sakura to me...
260K 8.8K 16
Vinnie Connor was the only child of her parents and they treated her like all other parents who had a single child would treat their kid, with extra...
325K 11.3K 36
Sandra Stone is happy in her life. She has a decent job, a nice home, a best friend, good friends, and although she ran away from her adopted parents...