Light as a Feather, Stiff as...

By zaarsenist

This is the original, unedited version of Light as a Feather, Book #1. This book was the inspiration for the... More

Olivia's #DreamPromposal
Light as a Feather - in Bookstores Now
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Epilogue
Alternate Epilogue - Part 1
Alternate Epilogue - Part 2
Alternate Epilogue - Part 3
Alternate Epilogue - Part 4
Alternate Epilogue - Part 5
Alternate Epilogue - Part 6

Chapter 17

117K 4.5K 1.3K
By zaarsenist

The next day was a Saturday, which was an obvious complication in the easiest method by which we might have gotten the locket away from Violet. In any scenario I could imagine, the most opportune time to snatch that locket would have been in the girls' locker room before gym class.  As Trey and I curled up beneath my blankets, considering what the next day might bring, I felt a small amount of relief that at least since the locker room scenario before gym class wasn't a viable option, I could potentially involve Mischa and Trey in the grabbing of the locket. What if I reached for it and the clasp didn't break?  Or if something even more horrific happened, and the gold chain sliced through the skin on Violet's neck? I felt with certainty that we were on the brink of closure with Violet, but surely she must have felt it, too. As much as I was ready to settle things with her once and for all, I was terrified of taking her on all by myself.

I heard my phone vibrate on my bedside table at a strange hour, and instinctively sat up to answer it. It was Mischa, in an inconsolable state. Next to me, Trey sat up and rubbed his eyes. I patted him on the shoulder and told him to go back to sleep.

"Do you ever think about what it's like to die, McKenna?" Mischa asked me. Her voice was raw, and sounded like she had been crying for hours.

"Sure," I confessed. "All the time. I've wondered that for a long time. I think it's peaceful. The whole bit with the white light full of grace, and drifting toward it, and then feeling total serenity and contentment. I believe in all of that." I didn't tell her that I believed all of that because I had to, because without that I couldn't stand to wonder what pain and horrors Jennie had endured as she left behind the life we shared.

"I don't believe that," Mischa countered. "When my grandmother died, my father told me that all life consists of is a series of neurons firing in our brains that make us perceive energy around us. When we die, and those neurons stop moving around, there's nothing left. Just blackness. Nothingness. That's what becomes of us when we die."

There was a long pause, and I tried not to let her words make too much of an impact on my thoughts. The notion that everyone I had known who had already passed away had just been hurtled into a void was too painful to consider.

"We know that's not true. Olivia reached out to me. She wasn't in a state of nothingness," I offered.

"What's going on?" Trey asked me groggily. I shooed him away, knowing that Mischa's emotional state would only annoy him.

"I don't want to be an angry ghost. I want to stay with my parents and win a medal at the Visa Championships and I want to go to college in Lacrosse and marry Matt and be a mom. How did all of this happen? Why did we play that stupid, stupid game? I want to take it all back! I don't want to die, McKenna!"

I could hear the sincerity in her plea and I didn't have a simple response for her. It wouldn't be fair to assure her that she wouldn't die. Olivia and Candace already had.  "We're trying, Mischa. We're trying."

As I climbed back into bed, I wondered if she'd eaten any solid food at all that day.  If we didn't find a surefire way to prevent the death that Violet had foreseen for Mischa, she might just die of starvation anyway.

Even with Trey's arm wrapped around me, the now familiar fall and rise of his chest against my back, both of us enveloped in the smells and textures of my childhood bedroom, I sensed that all of the security I had known most of my life was about to be torn away. I tried to assure myself that it was just Violet's spirits, trying to scare me out of doing what I knew needed to be done. But deep down in my heart, I felt certain that I was on the edge of a precipice. Once I pushed back the blankets and climbed out of my bed in the morning, my life would never go back to normal again.

The parking lot of the high school was packed by 1 P.M., even an hour before the basketball game against Angelica High School was scheduled to begin. I pulled into the lot behind the wheel of Mrs. Emory's Civic with Trey in the passenger seat beside me. Mischa sat in the back seat, defying Matt's order to stay home and away from this situation with Violet. As far as she knew, we were at the game solely to prevent Violet from disappearing afterward without making good on her promise to play the game again. Trey and I had discussed the complication of Mischa joining us at the game and had decided it would be in her best interest, and ours, to refrain from telling her about the locket and our plan to steal if from Violet. She was behaving so erratically that there was no telling what she might do if things were to go wrong. We also knew that our plan was basically non-existent, and that we were just going to have to be ready to spring into action at any point during the afternoon when an opportunity presented itself, whatever the consequences.

As soon as I pulled cautiously into a space at the less-crowded back of the lot, still not entirely trusting my driving skills, Trey said, "Look."

Violet's mother's white Audi was pulling into the lot. As it turned down one lane to navigate toward an empty spot closer to the West entrance of the school, we saw Violet, in profile, behind the wheel. She was wearing her black and red pom pon squad uniform, and after parking, she applied lip gloss. She checked her reflection in her rearview mirror and stepped out of the car, throwing her duffel bag over her right shoulder and casually locking the car behind her with the remote on her key chain. Her long dark hair, tied back in a pony tail, swung from left to right as she strode into the high school and disappeared behind the red doors.

"Ugh," Mischa snorted. "She has the nerve to be in a good mood."

But Trey and I ignored her and taciturnly shared the same thought: she was already wearing her uniform. If she stopped by the locker room now, it would just be to stow her bag and dash off into the gym to warm up with the rest of the team. I would need her to be preoccupied down there for at least a few minutes to be successful, to catch her off guard and tear that locket off of her. The element of surprise was going to be critical for me.

"Let's go," Trey said. "I can't believe I almost graduated without ever attending a school basketball game."

I rolled my eyes at him, knowing that a few weeks ago he would never, ever have voluntarily attended a school sporting event.

Inside the West doors of the school, we were greeted by two nerdy freshmen girls seated at a card table, selling tickets. "Tickets are five dollars each," the girls told us happily, stamping our hands with a red rubber stamp, leaving the word PAID on our skin to ensure re-admittance. The halls were strangely empty since it was a weekend, and unlit to deter kids from Angelica High from exploring our small school building during the game. A small roar of festivity was already coming from the gym, where dance music was being pumped over the sound system, popcorn and sodas were being sold, and parents from out of town were finding seats in the bleachers. We pushed our way into the gym and looked up into the bleachers for inconspicuous seats on the side of the gym where fans of the home team would be sitting, where Pete's parents had already spread out their coats and bags with his younger brothers, and Jeff's mom was making adjustments to her video camera in preparation for tip-off.

My limbs already felt cold and numb with anticipation for the game to begin. We climbed the bleachers and sat nearly all the way at the top in a corner, where we hoped Violet might not notice us while performing dance numbers with the squad. Even after we sat for a few minutes and absorbed all of the activity in the gym, none of the pom pon squad members from either school had drifted out onto the hardwood.

"Where is she?" Trey wondered aloud.

"Probably in the locker room, hanging out and warming up. Usually the teams share the girls' locker room," Mischa informed us, having unique insight on the situation of teams sharing our school resources as a member of the cheerleading team during football season. "At least for home football games, that's what happens. The cheerleading squad from the visiting school uses the locker room at the same time as us, and we just try not to talk to each other."

My stomach clenched at the thought of having to walk into the locker room and receive curious stares from girls not only on the Weeping Willow pom pon squad, but the Angelica pom pon squad, too. More witnesses. More people trying to stop me if Violet cried out for help. More trouble for Trey to get into if he were to follow me in there and potentially observe girls from the visiting high school in a state of undress.

"Do you think the pom pon team will have to go down into the locker room again during the game?" Trey asked Mischa innocently. The music playing over the loudspeaker in the gym faded out and a new bass-heavy dance song came on, signifying the entrance of the Willow pom pon squad, which danced out onto center court and took formation. Violet, whose snug uniform fit her perfectly, stood in the center with her hands on her hips, beaming proudly. The rest of the team took their positions behind her, locking their overly exuberant smiles into place and tilting their hips.

"Probably after half-time to freshen up," Mischa mused as the dance routine began.

After half-time. That made sense. The home team's pom squad would presumably perform a rousing routine for at least five minutes.

The opening routine was scandalously risqué. I could hardly believe I was at a high school basketball game in Wisconsin with all of the grinding, flashing and chest popping going on. More than one dad wolf-whistled, and moms whispered disapprovingly in the bleachers. The rhythm of the music filled the entire gym, and the fans in the bleachers began stomping along with the beat. Violet loved the reaction of the crowd and her new, truer identity was in full bloom. There was no trace of the shy wallflower we had met in September out on the basketball court that November afternoon. The girl who led the dance routine that day seemed taller than the Violet we knew, more poised than her, radiating confidence. She seemed like a girl who had everything she wanted, and was afraid of nothing.

She seemed, I shuddered to think, invincible.

Throughout the routine, I kept waiting for Violet to spot us up in the bleachers and to lock eyes with me. Since sitting down in the gym I had an unshakable feeling that Violet knew we were present, and why we were present. When I went down to the locker room later, she would be expecting me. Things wouldn't be as simple as Trey and I were hoping. There was absolutely nothing I could do, as that music played, as the pom pon squad girls continued to shake their rear ends as well as their pom pons, to prepare. And yet her eyes never drifted up to where we had perched. The routine ended with Violet's polished back handspring and mid-air Chinese splits, and as applause filled the gym, my eyes were focused on one thing only: the glimmer of light reflecting off of a gold chain around her neck.

She was wearing the locket. It was just tucked underneath her tight black polyester team sweater, almost entirely out of view.

Trey had seen that glimmer too, and he gently elbowed me.

The pom squad sat down on the lowest bleacher, a few feet away from where our varsity basketball team took seats after they entered the gym to a round of applause. From our vantage point, we could look directly down upon Violet's dark head, and watch her giggling and sharing secrets with the girls on her team. At tip-off, when Jeff and Pete strode onto the court to face the two forwards from Angelica, she sat up straight, paying close attention, her clasped hands held up to her mouth in anticipation. When Pete shot for his first basket of the afternoon from nearly mid-court and made it, Violet was on her feet in less than a second, arms in the air, cheering. When the ref called a foul on an Angelica forward who had accidentally tripped Pete as he dribbled the ball, she furrowed her brow and expressed her frustration to the girl sitting next to her, a senior named Annie whose brother was on the basketball team.

At the end of the first quarter, Weeping Willow was leading by nine points, and parents left the bleachers to visit restrooms and buy sodas while the coaches for both teams gave their athletes a pep talk. The pom squad from Angelica performed its first routine, and then the pom squad from our school stood and chanted a very quick cheer. In fewer than five minutes, the ref blew his whistle, summoning both teams of tall lanky boys back out onto the court. I hadn't ever sat through an entire school basketball game because the marching band and color guard only performed with the football team, and I was barely able to keep up with the rules of the game.

Fifteen minutes later, as the second quarter came to an end, Angelica had somehow managed to catch up and tie the score. Our team had gotten a little lazy. All teams in our region were likely to underestimate Angelica's basketball team because their town was so small it was hard to imagine how they could possibly pull together a handful of decent players each year. I could see frustration on the face of Coach Simon, the basketball coach, as he paced in front of his seated team, searching for the magical words to inspire them to give a little more out on the court. The pom pon squad from our school stood and filtered out of the gym through the doors on the other side of the huge room, the doors that led to the hallway by which the stairs leading to the locker rooms were accessed.

"Bathroom break," I announced to Trey and Mischa, knowing that if Violet was on the move and the half-time show was our best chance to confront her, I'd be better off out of the bleachers, nimble and on my feet in the school's hallways.

"Me, too," Trey said, putting his green coat back on rather than leaving it in the bleachers.

I looked helplessly at Mischa, wondering what we'd do if she insisted on joining us, but she just shrugged and continued drinking her diet soda.

The acoustics of the cool hallway were a welcomed change from the bone-rattling bass and echoing footsteps of the gym. Parents gossiped to our left in the line for soda and popcorn, and beyond them, the hallway curved around the outer perimeter of the gym toward the staircase down to the locker rooms. In the other direction, vending machines glowed and buzzed, and beyond them the hallway led to the West entrance to the school, where we had entered and bought our tickets. "Over here," Trey urged me quietly, pulling me around the side of the last vending machine in the row as the pom pon squad rounded the corner. Cautiously, we leaned forward to catch a glimpse of the team as they entered the gym. Music was starting for their half-time routine, and we crept forward, lingering in the doorway through which they had just passed to watch them assemble for their routine. The girls' backs were toward us, and they formed a V-shape in the center of the court, each girl crouching down on her knees, balancing her forehead on the floor, waiting for the bass to start booming. In succession as the music picked up, each girl unfolded her body and climbed up gracefully to her feet. A dance remix of Cry Out by hip hop artist Tiny J shook the gym along with its bass line. Once all of the girls were standing, they began dancing in unison and the crowd went wild.

It was hard to stop watching, because it was evident that the team had practiced this routine tirelessly and it was going to knock the socks off any pom pon squad routine that had previously been performed in our high school gymnasium. But Trey turned to me and refocused my attention. "We should get downstairs and wait."

I nodded, and looked out onto the basketball court one last time. Violet had dramatically thrown her arms in the air and spun around just in time to look directly at me where I lingered in the doorway, as if she had known where I was the whole time I'd been standing there. Her face was as expressionless as a plain piece of paper, and a moment later she continued her dance routine as if she had never noticed me, but I understood. She knew the time had come. She knew I'd come for her. My heart beat in my chest like there was a wild animal trapped in my rib cage trying to escape. The look in her eyes told me that if I didn't come for her, she'd be coming for me.

"I don't know about this. I don't think waiting in the locker room is the right approach anymore," I mumbled to Trey nervously as he tore me away from the hallway and led me down the hallway toward the stairs leading to the locker room entrance. Parents and teachers hovered near the doorway as the performance continued, paying us little attention as we moved further down the dark, unlit hall.

"It's the safest, McKenna. It's a small space with only two ways in and out. I'll go with you," Trey tried to convince me.

"She knows, Trey," I protested, hearing how hysterical my voice sounded, and hating it. "She knows we're going to be down there. I'm scared!"

Trey put both of his hands on my shoulders in an attempt to calm me. "McKenna, listen to me. This is it. All we have is this one chance. Everything depends on this. You know that. Mischa's life depends on us getting that locket away from her!"

The music booming from the gym was scattering my thoughts and making it impossible for me to visualize what I knew we needed to do: descend the stairs, pass through the entrance to the girls' locker room, lurk somewhere out of sight like the shower stalls until we heard the pom squad enter, and then attack. That had been the plan in my head since the night before, when I had thought it through in such detail that I imagined feeling the warm sharpness of the metal chain against my palm as I tore the locket from Violet's neck, smelled the lemony cleanser scent of the locker room, and saw myself sprinting away from the locker room, locket in hand. But that was where the fantasy ended. Father Fahey had said we needed to destroy the locket. How were we going to destroy something made of gold in a parking lot? How had we overlooked that critical detail until now?

"It's not right, Trey. The setting's just not right. She can break away from me and go out the other exit, onto the track. I'll never catch her. She's faster than me, and then I will have blown it. I'll never have a second chance if I attack her with so many witnesses and she gets away," I rambled. His expression was one of such deep disappointment; I longed to trust his instincts, but everything just felt wrong. He looked so amazing in that moment, his pale eyes pleading with me, his mouth so pink and full, I was overwhelmed with wonderment that we had been sleeping in the same bed more nights than not and had done little more than kiss in the last few weeks. I fought the almost irresistible urge to forget all about Violet, and drag him back to his mother's car in the parking lot to tear his clothes off, to finally give in to the surge of desire for him I had been suppressing for weeks. As if something else was operating my body, I saw my own hand rise and stroke his smooth cheek, my thumb press upon his full lower lip.

"McKenna, what are you..."

I didn't know what I was doing. It was as if my thoughts were being supplanted by something or someone else. Like I was a marionette puppet being operated by some other force.  And then I realized that probably was exactly what was happening. The spirit that controlled Violet was trying to distract me from what I had to do, and it was doing a darn good job of it.

"Sorry," I said, turning crimson, regaining control of my thoughts. I must have seemed like a complete nut, first being panicky and cowardly and then coming onto Trey so strongly. "Something is messing with my head. I don't want to wait for her downstairs. Really, I think it's a bad idea."

In the gym, I could hear the song winding down. Applause was rising and feet were stomping in the bleachers. The sound inside my ears was deafening. I felt as if my eardrums might explode, and in that moment I wanted nothing more than to run from the high school and get out into the parking lot, away from the brain-aching noise. "McKenna," Trey said firmly, shaking me.

Before I had a chance to really get a grip on myself, the pom pon squad was exiting the gym. In a single file they rushed out of the gym, led by Shannon Liu, a senior still glowing from the excitement of the performance. The entire team jumbled together in front of my eyes like a wild octopus with twenty bare tan legs and long hair of every color, until my eyes settled on the girl at the heart of the group: the gorgeous girl with the ice blue eyes. Violet.

Without even thinking through exactly what I was doing, without even giving her a fraction of a second to look up and see me and Trey lurking in the shadow of the hallway, I sprang forward. I moved too quickly for Trey to hold me back, too quickly to even entertain the possibility that by acting so impulsively and recklessly, I was jeopardizing everything. Not a word left my lips as I threw the entire weight of my body at Violet, knocking Stephani deMilo out of my way and sending her crashing down onto the tile floor. I tackled Violet, pushing her backward, and as we both hit the floor I grabbed for her locket, gritting my teeth as I felt my fingers wrap around the gold chain that disappeared beneath her sweater.

"Hey! No! Help!" Violet cried out as soon as she realized what had happened. I was on top of her, pinning her to the floor with my knees pressed against her shoulders. I was sure that I was hurting her, but didn't have time to care.

The chain was surprisingly strong although the gold looked delicate and old. I tugged on the chain hard enough to break the clasp, I was sure, and yet just as I felt the metal about to snap, I felt strong hands under my arms, pulling me backwards. I was yanked off of Violet with such force, I felt the locket slip through my fingers in an instant, and gaped at it as I saw it—the embossed heart dangling by the delicate gold thread—snap back into place over Violet's sweater.

"What in God's name," Coach Simon yelled from behind me. I recognized the voice of the boys' basketball coach even though I had never exchanged words with him before. Even before my feet found the ground and stabilized so that I could stand on my own, behind me, Trey tackled Coach Simon from the side, knocking him to the ground. I fell over with them since Coach Simon still had a strong grip on my arms, but I regained my balance faster. Back on my feet and suddenly liberated, I turned to see Trey struggling to keep the tall, balding coach down on the ground.

"Run, McKenna!" Trey yelled.

And so I turned back to my left and saw Violet climbing up to her feet.

There was commotion everywhere—other teachers and parents rushing toward me and Trey—but nothing was going to stop me. With determination unlike any supply of energy I had ever sensed before in my life, I charged toward Violet like a tiger, blowing past the other girls on the pom pon squad. She darted just fast enough to escape my grabbing fingertips, and she ran toward the staircase leading to the locker room entrance at top speed. I was steps behind her, skipping stairs to catch up to her, and clumsily missed a step. With a sickening feeling in my stomach because I knew every part of my body was about to start hurting a lot, I crashed into Violet from the back, sending her tumbling forward. She fell face-first down at least four steps, and then bounced down two more, buffering the fall with her arms outstretched as her knees tucked around to one side. With more velocity on my side, I fell over her, surely hurting her back and shoulders as I tumbled forward, and I rolled down the rest of the stairs tucked into a ball, feeling every single stair jut into my ribcage until I hit the floor at the bottom.

I took a deep breath, sure that the warmth that I felt on my forehead was blood, and before I even gave myself a moment to adjust to the terrible pain setting in along my back and ribs, I saw Violet collect herself and sprint toward the locker rooms. Hearing footsteps and concerned voices calling out to me from the top of the stairs, asking if I was okay, I struggled to get up on my feet. The only serious injury I had ever suffered before in my whole life was a broken finger in seventh grade, but I knew that if I was standing, I couldn't be too hurt even though I couldn't remember ever falling down stairs like that before. With no time to lose, I ran toward the locker room. My left hip crashed into the door frame as I entered, releasing another blinding jolt of pain through my body. I didn't wait for the the pain to swell along my left side, and followed Violet into the cool, calm locker room, losing sight of her the moment I entered as she dashed behind a row of blue steel lockers.

I rounded the corner carelessly, only realizing after I stood there, unsure of where she'd gone, that she could easily have been waiting for me, ready to bash a garbage can or something over my head. For a second I stood perfectly still, barely daring to breathe, desperately trying to hear any noise that might have indicated the direction in which she had darted. That second passed, and I heard nothing but the footsteps and voices of girls and parents following us into the locker room. I had to move quickly; I couldn't risk being detained by parents. Since the moment that locket had grazed my fingertips, I knew I needed to feel it in my grasp again. It felt as if my skin was hungering for it, craving it.

To my right, I saw the row of blue bathroom stalls past the small walled-off square that served as Coach Stirling's office. It was possible but not likely that Violet might have stepped into a stall to hide from me, but I couldn't afford to waste a few seconds checking. To my left were the white tiled blocks of showers, their walls definitely tall enough to hide Violet if she had stepped into one to dodge me. Beyond the showers were the rows of lockers and then the double doors, locked from the inside on weekends, leading out onto the track. Having no option but to keep moving, I headed for the last cube of showers after a moment's hesitation, hearing the voices of other people from the gym chasing me into the locker room.

As soon as I stuck my head into the shower area, I heard light footsteps ahead of me and darted back out of the shower block just in time to see the double doors swinging closed. I bolted with all my might for those doors, finding a new burst of energy, leaving the locker room just as the girls from the pom pon squad chasing me filtered in, hot on my trail.

Outside, my ears adjusted to the quiet afternoon. It was cold enough to startle me, cold enough for the air to smell sharply like snow. Ahead of me by at least ten feet I saw Violet booking it for the gate that led to the parking lot. She glanced over her shoulder only once, dark hair flying, to assess how close I was to her. Reaching the fence, she grabbed at the gate that was all that kept her from sprinting across the parking lot, and found it surprisingly stuck. From behind her, I saw plainly what it took her a second to realize: there was a padlock and a chain securing the gate, presumably to keep weekend visitors from using the high school track. I could hear Violet snarl in frustration as she ran her fingers over the lock for a split second and then wasted no time doing what I never expected her to do: climb the fence in her tiny pom pon skirt.

"Oh, geez," I muttered to myself. I slowed myself down to an abrupt stop at the bottom of the fence just as Violet was two steps into her ascension toward its top. I reached up and grabbed her left foot with the intention of pulling her back down to the blacktop, but instead of causing her to falter, she held onto the fence more tightly. I pulled harder a second time and was taken by surprise when she jumped down from the fence to knock me over with a fierce, raging look in her eyes. I fell backwards hard, hitting the blacktop and instantly knowing I had bruised my tailbone. While I was down, Violet delivered a brutal, powerful kick to my gut, completely knocking the wind out of me. I gasped for air and rolled over onto my hands and knees as she began scaling the fence a second time, and before even catching my breath, I was back on my feet, reaching for her again in an attempt to pull her down.

Only this time, I caught her by surprise. This time, it was her body that hit the blacktop with an unpleasant thud, and her head that smacked against the ground. It was as her eyes blinked slowly, refocusing as she tried to figure out what had just happened and how badly she had been injured, that I reached for that gold chain around her neck and pulled with all my might.

This time, she howled, "OW!" and her fingers flew to the back of her neck, where undoubtedly the chain had dug into her sensitive skin before the clasp snapped off.

With the locket clutched tightly in my right hand, I was scaling that fence as fast as I could, still very aware of Violet's dazed state on the blacktop below me. By the time I reached the top of the fence, other girls from the pom pon squad had caught up to us, and while half of them bent to help Violet back onto her feet, the other half childishly shook the bottom of the fence in an attempt to make me fall. I threw one leg over the top and took two small, careful steps down before I decided to just wing it and jump. I landed firmly with a thunk that sent pain snaking up my back from my tailbone, and wiped a dark trickle of blood out of my right eye. I wasted a fraction of a second looking over my left shoulder only to see that Violet's fury had returned, and she was violently pushing back her teammates intending to help her. One foot in a black leather dance shoe slipped into a hole in the aluminum fence and within seconds, Violet had reached the top of the fence as if a supernatural force was lifting her.

Now it was my turn to run, to run as fast as I could. The only thoughts in my head as I ran were nebulous, imprints of colors suggesting the immense physical pain I felt. I had the keys to Trey's mom's car in the right pocket of my black jeans, but the only way to get across the lot to the Civic was to weave through parked cars. There was a possibility that Violet would reach the car faster than I would, and even if she didn't, I didn't like the idea of driving out of the lot on my own without Trey. From there, I wouldn't know where to go, or what to do with the locket.

Fortunately, just then, through the West doors of the school, Trey ran out, followed by Mischa. Trey spotted me, and then saw Violet chasing me, and he broke into an impressive sprint and tackled Violet from the side, knocking her over. "Don't get up!" he warned her as he backed away and began jogging in the same direction in which I was jogging, toward his mother's parked car. Parents and teachers from both Willow and Angelica poured out of the school through the West doors and had witnessed Trey's assault on Violet. Coach Simon was among them, holding a bloodied handkerchief to his nose. Several mothers rushed toward Violet, who obeyed Trey and made no effort this time to get up. As I anxiously transferred the locket from my sweaty right palm into my left palm so that I could jam the key into the car door, I looked up to see the disarray we had caused in the parking lot: pom pon girls crying and shouting angrily on the other side of the fence near the track, parents weaving through parked cars toward me and Trey, Mischa standing alone on the stairs leading to the West entrance, her arms wrapped around herself.

"Don't look, just drive!" Trey commanded. I climbed into the driver's side of the car and started the engine so that I could open the lock on his side. He popped into the car and slammed the door shut seconds before a heavyset dad of one of the basketball players reached the car and yelled, "Out of the car right now, you two! You are both in a lot of trouble!"

I tried to block out the man's voice, and set the locket down on the plastic divider behind the transmission lever. Trey fastened his seat belt and said confidently, "Let's go."

I backed out of the parking spot as fast as I could, a little impressed with my own driving skills until I heard the crunch of metal and realized I had backed out a little too overzealously and had clipped the back corner of the car next to me. Not bothering to see how bad the damage was, I floored Mrs. Emory's Civic toward the entrance of the parking lot, not wanting to waste time driving all the way around the parked vehicles to exit the proper way. I made an illegal right turn, and could see the angered father through the passenger's side window, his face red, his hands packed in fists. Near the doors to the high school building, it looked like concerned parents were helping Violet limp back inside.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.3K 3.4K 53
Kara thought that going to a boarding school for witches would be hard. But when she's framed for murder, she must clear her name before the murderer...
78K 1.7K 36
"sharing my heart, it's tearing me apart." a thing is not beautiful because it lasts. ⚠️UNDER EDITING⚠️ [book 1 in Lilac Collins series] [teen wolf...
258K 3.3K 37
The story of the professional troublemaker Jessica Anston and her now stern and overprotective teacher Paul Davis continues on this sequel of the boo...
63 79 80
"Angie, don't move". Mitchell warned with horror on her face. Angie was shaken up already. She heard a growl and out of sheer curiosity, she turned a...