Catching Fire (Katniss loves...

De KD-Howell

What if Katniss loved Peeta in The Hunger Games and wasn't acting? What if Gale liked Katniss and the feelin... Mais

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
UPDATE!

Chapter 11

8.7K 102 54
De KD-Howell

Suzanne Collins owns the rights to the characters!

Chapter 11

"When did you get engaged?" I ask.

"That's different." She says.

"How? My boyfriend and I have money?"

"That it wasn't forced!" She shouts.

"It's not forced! I love him."

"You don't. The Capitol wants you to marry," she says stubbornly.

"Yeah. And we want to, too. Where did you get this information?!"

"I'm not oblivious. I was kind of listening to you and President Snow in the study." She says staring at the floor. Funny. President Snow would have a fit.

"I love him. More than my life. Some just think I don't love him. There is always going to be some doubters." I smile at the floor, slightly embarrassed. Mom and I have been fighting over this for months. She should have just told me.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I shouldn't listen to only one side of the story," she says looking at the floor embarrassed.

"You could have told me you heard! Do not tell Prim I don't want her to worry." I say staring at Prim's door, but she's at school by now.

"I don't want to worry her."

"So we aren't mad at each other anymore right?"

"No," she chuckles. Understanding each other again or not I still think she would flip out that I'm pregnant.

"I am happy you found Peeta. You seem happy for once."

"I am except when I have nightmares." Chills creep up my spine at the mere thought. "Or when I think back."

"I could understand why you wouldn't be happy thinking of that. I better go." She starts walking toward the door.

Well at least we aren't fighting anymore, and she didn't ask for an update on whether we failed or not, which we did.

"Hey, so how did that go with your mother?" Peeta asks sitting next to me on the bed.

"She heard my conversation with Snow. So she thought I really hated you, that's why she's been mad about it." I laugh and give an eye roll.

"She knows we failed?" Peeta raises his eyebrows in question.

"She didn't ask, I didn't tell." Peeta rolls his eyes.

"Of course."

"Would you have told your Mom?"

"No, but that's because I don't like my mom. I would consider it with my Dad." I raise my eyebrows.

"I haven't told anyone. Don't worry." That is a weight lifted off my shoulders.

There ends up being a blizzard, so Peeta cannot go home. I couldn't be happier. My Mother doesn't seem to care now that we worked it out and Prim is happy. We play cards and every time I lose. Peeta has won two out of three games. And I lose, again for the third time. "What the-"

"Katniss!" Mother shouts knowing what I was about to say.

Peeta and Prim are trying not to laugh. Soon enough it's time for bed, and shockingly my mother doesn't object to Peeta staying in my room. Peeta called his parents before dinner saying the storm was getting worse, and he didn't want to walk home in it. His father didn't care. No shocker there. His dad seems to be a lot more mellow and his mom not so much.

"How long do you think the storm will last?" I ask as Peeta wraps his arms around me.

"Seems like its still storming. You can hear it on the roof."

"I feel sorry for the people in bad houses.

"You mean like everyone but, our families, Haymitch, the mayor's family, and Thread?" Peeta asks.

"Yeah pretty much. That would have been our families last year."

"Winning the Games has some perks." 

"Some." I clarify.

The storm lifts enough for Peeta to go home two days later. But he still comes over every day to work on the book or just watch TV. We're looking for the District 13 feature. Sure enough, a couple of days later it's on. And at the end, an unmistakable Mockingjay flies through. Peeta and I look at each other. There's hope. Hope. Something we haven't had in awhile.

"We need to go on a walk soon. Well, when I can walk." Peeta laughs. A carefree laugh.

"Yeah. But for now, you're stuck here with me." He says and leans in and kisses me. If I'm stuck here with him, I want to be stuck forever. Prim coughs. Oops.

"Hey Prim," Peeta says giving her an awkward smile. I lean against his chest.

"Hey Katniss, Cinna called and said your wedding shot would be tomorrow. Your ankle is better, right?" she says. I've been dreading this. They'll know I'm bigger and guess what they'll assume? That I'm pregnant. I am, but I don't want anyone to know. My foot is a lot better, but I cannot go far.

"Umm yeah, I'll be able to do it."

"That's good. Cinna sounded excited." Prim is practically twirling around the living room.

"Oh, Peeta he also said you can't be here. I don't know some custom?"

"Really?"

"That's what he said," Prim tells me with a shoulder shrug. Peeta rolls his eyes at me.

"It's fine Katniss. You'll just be trying dresses on. You'll be so busy you wouldn't even know I'm there." He says lifting my lips into a smile.

"So what are you two doing, Sweetheart?" Haymitch asks walking into my living room.

"Nothing. What are you doing at my house?"

"Dinner. Remember your mother thinks I should at least get one good meal in a day, and that she owes me?" My mother thinks Haymitch saved my life. He did, but she thinks she owes him now.

"We're really the ones that owe you," Peeta says. Yes, I owe Haymitch, a lot. Mainly that Peeta is alive.

"She's awake." Octavia squeals. Guess I have to start straight away. Peeta! I look over to the empty spot next to me. He must have gone home early. Today I only have to be shaved because I only need to be hairless for a day.

"Katniss you'll have to squeeze into this dress," Flavius says.

"Yeah since I have money thanks to the Games, I've put on a couple of pounds," I say sweetly.

"Oh, that's fine honey! We were worried about you when we first saw you. And then when you got out of the arena..." Octavia trails off.

I have eaten a lot more, but that isn't the whole reason I'm bigger. They have me try on about twenty dresses that are all beautiful. Prim got out of school early and is drooling over the dresses. Cinna just stands around nodding his head. I don't know what's up with him. He hasn't said a word to me the whole time. I barely have time to eat. Each dress requires different lighting, different shoes (which are hurting me), and different makeup. They eventually finish and leave. By the end of the day, I flop down on my bed, tired.

"Peeta!" I wake up scream at the top of my lungs. Peeta runs into my room.

"Katniss it's okay. I'm okay." Peeta says stroking my hair.

"How sweet. Nightmare?" Haymitch says. I nod my head. It should be kind of obvious.

"They've got drinks for that," Haymitch says.

"I can't drink."

"It's bad for your health." I'm pregnant. And the drunk knows it.

"Oh, that's right," Haymitch says giving me a smirk. I start to cry, but I manage to see Peeta give Haymitch 'the look' that says 'shut the hell up'.

"Are you okay Katniss?" Mother asks peeking her head into my room.

"I'm fine," I say lying through my teeth. I finally manage to stop crying.

"Alright then. Do you want to come eat dinner?" What time is it? I only meant to take a fifteen-minute nap.

"Sure," I say getting up. I stand up and almost fall, but Peeta catches me.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine just too many high heels." Peeta picks me up bridal style and carries me to the kitchen table. My mother stands behind smiling, Haymitch and Prim stare at us with eyebrows raised.

"Are you sure you're okay after today?" Peeta asks getting into bed. "I'm fine just tired," I say.

"Good night I love you," Peeta says wrapping his arms around me.

"Love you too." I dirt off only to wake with a nightmare. I'm dressed in the lacy wedding gown running from mutts in the woods. I have no clue where Peeta is. Then I wake up screaming.

"It's okay Katniss," Peeta says. I climb into his lap.

He lays back down and we fall back asleep like that; me pretty much on top of all of him. Peeta falls asleep immediately, I guess he was really tired.

"Katniss? And Peeta.." Prim says scrunching her eyebrows together walking into my room.

"How did he get in here?" "Shut the door," I say. Peeta starts to stir.

"Umm Hi Prim," Peeta says. "He's here every night," I say shrugging my shoulders. "Don't tell mom," I add.

"I won't tell." She says turning toward the door.

"Prim it helps with the nightmares of being a Victor," Peeta says. "Oh," Prim says walking out the door.

"That was weird," Peeta says.

"Yeah well, you need to go in case my Mother heard you talking," I say.

"Fine." It's not until after lunch I see Peeta again.

"I need to go give Hazelle some money since I haven't been hunting lately. Do you want to come?" I say at his door. "I'm sorry I can't I have to work, but I have to check on Haymitch first," Peeta says.

"That's fine," I say. I'm not sure I can make it all the way there but I probably can. I need to.

"Haymitch!" I yell.

"What?" he yells from the living room.

"We're just checking on you."

"I'm sorry for asking if you wanted some alcohol yesterday Katniss. I know you're against drinking it." Haymitch apologizes. Who would have thought Haymitch Abernathy apologizes?

"I was drunk. I shouldn't have been." He adds since I took long to respond.

"That's fine I shouldn't have changed my belief that you shouldn't drink," I say. I think he gets what I'm saying, I shouldn't have to have my belief. I shouldn't be pregnant.

"So, anything new?" Peeta asks me once we are out of Victors Village.

"I'm not as nauseous."

"That's good. I've got to go." Peeta says as we pass the bakery.

"Love you," I say.

" Love you more," Peeta says.

"Not possible," I say. I walk to the Hawthorne's door and knock.

"Hello?" Rory opens it.

"I know I haven't been hunting lately, but here's some money." I hand him my monthly victors money.

"That's a lot of money. Are you sure?" He asks.

"I'm sure I have plenty where that came from. If you need more let me know."

"Thank you." Rory walks back inside.
Then turns back around to me. "I think Gale was wanting to talk to you. I'll go get him."

"Hi," Gale says when he walks outside.

"Hello."

"Why haven't you been hunting?"

"Why?" He better not knows about the really bad thing. He throws his hands in the air: surrendering.

"I'm your friend I just want to know." He says trying to be innocent. I decide to tell one of the reasons.

"I fell and broke my foot. It's just recovering."

"I'm sorry. When did that happen?" He looks genuinely concerned.

"Probably about two weeks ago. I can't really remember. It's not completely healed."

"Oh, that's bad." Why does he want to talk to me?

"What do you want Gale?" I decide to be blunt and just get to the point.

"Whoa calm down." I give him a look.

"Fine. I love you. And I don't want you to be with him." He spits out. No! I knew he liked me, but I thought he was getting over it. Hoped. Wished. Prayed.

"No! I love Peeta. My fiancé." Well, that's half-truthful.

"No, you don't. I figured it out the Capitol wants you to." He smirks like he just won an enormous prize.

"They think its cute. And that's a bonus. I love him and I always will." I say. I hold my ring up. "Always."

"Watch. If there is no Capitol you won't be with him." He smirks again. I want to wipe that smirk right off his face.

"You'll be with me. I could promise it."

"Then you'd be a liar." I am so angry at him. We were friends for years without this being an issue, why does it have to be now?

"Calm down. I still don't believe you." He says smirking.

"I've got to go. If you need more money let me know." I say walking off.

"How much money did you give us today?" Now he sounds angry.

"A Victor's month of earnings!" I shout as I walk away. People stare at me. The nerve of him! He is such an idiot. I walk in boiling mad and limping again.

"I heard your wedding dresses will be on TV tonight. They have a mandatory broadcast!" She shouts.

"How could they have gotten it together so quickly?" She shrugs her shoulders.

"That's just what I heard."

"Why are you mad?" Mom asks.

"Gale accused me of not truly loving Peeta. He said I'd be with him if the Capitol didn't force me to love Peeta." I say. I hear the door slam and blonde hair pass the glass in the door. Shit.

I run outside. Not caring how bad my foot hurts. Only that Peeta thinks I don't love him. I'm on the front porch when he turns around. "To think I thought you loved me."

"Peeta! Come here! You don't understand!" I shout. I try to run to him, but I end up waking. "I understand you went to Gale's house today. And I just heard you say, 'I'd be with him if the Capitol didn't force me to love Peeta.'

Then he whispers in my ear. "Is that my baby your even carrying?" he asks mad.

"Yes! Your the only one I've ever done that with! Will ever do that with! And actually, I said 'He said I'd be with him if the Capitol didn't force me to love Peeta.' Did you not see I was mad?" I am just as angry as Peeta. His face softens, although not much.

"Katniss. Promise me you really love me."

"I promise, on my families lives."

His face melts. "I'm sorry. I should have talked to you first."

"You really should have." Peeta stands there like a statue for a second and then pushes my hair out of my eyes.

"I love you. Even if you don't like me right now." Then he kisses me on the lips. It's not our regular one touch to the lips either. It's a kiss that sets me on fire.

We only stop when we hear some clear there throat. Haymitch. "We don't need you to have a kid." To late.

"Don't worry. We wouldn't have gone that far." Peeta wraps his arm around my waist.

"You two had an entertaining fight," Haymitch smirks.

"You watched!" I scream.

"Sweetheart, you are in the middle of the Village. I'm pretty sure your family watched too. Anyway, you did a good job working that out." Haymitch says.

We start walking to my house. "Ow."

"What did you do now?" Haymitch sounds like I've done too much to be rendered anything but useless.

"I walked a lot today."

"Wrap your arms around my neck," Peeta commands. I do but I don't know why. Peeta picks me up bridal style and carries me into my house. I laugh the way there.

He only lets me down when we are on the couch. Even then I'm sitting on his lap.

"Sweetheart, are you just begging him for a kid?" Haymitch asks smirking. He just loves to tease me about one mistake.

"No. I don't know if I'm ready for kids yet." I don't need my mom even considering I'm pregnant. However, I do notice Prim raising her eyebrows. Peeta rubs my back trying to calm me.

"On the 75th anniversary, as a reminder to the rebels that not even the strongest among them cannot overcome the power of the Capitol, the male and female tributes will be reaped from their existing pool of victors." President Snow says. What does that mean? Mother and Prim are crying. Peeta and I are confused. Reaped from the pool of victors. The victors will be reaped. District 12 has two males and one female. I'm going back into the arena. The place of nightmares. And against my will, Peeta will go in with me.

I know I'm late... Sorry!!!!! SO SORRY!!!! It's summer, my birthday was last week, and I got caught up in everything. Thanks for reading!

~K.D. Howell 

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

18 0 3
What if Katniss and her family, Gale and his family, and Peeta and his brother ran away from District Twelve after the Victory Tour? For this fic to...
52K 1.1K 54
What if Peeta and Katniss's "love" wasn't real at all? In this everthorne fan fic, Katniss realizes that what she has been telling Peeta for years, r...
1.5M 40.9K 46
What if Peeta and Katniss never teamed up? What if Katniss finds trust in the most unlikely person? When Katniss volunteers for her sister, her only...
246K 3.6K 52
what would happen if Peeta didn't make it? Would Katniss fall into Gales arms or will someone else be there to take her in their arms?