Icarus

By MadelineSane

❝A boy and a girl, feathers and flames. A tragic love story, and a life that came to an end❞ ➳ The body dies... More

PART I
Prologue
Fly
Burn
Pure
Cards
Nice
Insane
Guardian
Horizon
Fall
Clock
Sound
Ballet
Words
Action
Distance
Focus
Angels
Outshine
Blue
Hands
War
Half
Nothing
Something
Afraid
Aesterdis
Unsaid
Blood
Killed
Threads
Redemption
Tickets
Colors
Timeless
Human
Fire
PART II
Fall
Freeze
UPDATE

Immortal

1.8K 104 15
By MadelineSane

  Immortal

Pete observed New Zoldova from the top of the hill; he could see some humans building a stage from afar, right where the S.U.N Festival would take place in two days.

He stood there quietly while his mind raced. The sounds of thudded voices repeating the word immortal streamed in like a toxic gas suffocated his thoughts.

He sighted at the prospect of an endless life, almost tasting the eternal blood rushing through his veins. A smirk grew on his face when he saw himself as a part of the Twelve—and rising in power the Twelve would be only him—The One.

Of course there would be people by his side...Cassie on his right and Alexander on his left, seats reserved for those who could follow his rules. There would also be a special place on earth for those two humans he considered friends, the ones who stood beside him after Tate kicked him out of the band.

What were their names? Shit, I should have written them down on a piece of paper.

The future seemed bright just like the spectacular setting sun that evening. His lungs had become used to the aroma of loneliness and musty scent of his apartment so when they breathed in fresh air, he coughed.

He looked down and saw a yellow dandelion at his feet. Pete took it and held it at eye level. He smiled. Everything was going to be picture-perfect—him on the silver throne...Cassie adorned in a long black gown...Alexander with his mouth shut. Perfect.

"Good evening, Alexander," he greeted when he saw the shadow in a cloak approaching him. Alexander hesitated, it was odd seeing Pete outside...and in broad daylight. He was more of a night creature. "You're late."

Pete's smile vanished.

The man took off his hood without saying anything; he wasn't going to apologize to his apprentice. Although he was the one who appeared to be the inexperienced, unsettled novice. Pete glared at him.

"Aren't you going to say anything? Well then, let's get this party started." He threw away the dandelion.

"I don't want to, but to live, I must. Please, brother, forgive me if my actions cause—"

"Blah blah blah, you done? Great." Pete didn't let Alexander finish, he crossed his arms and got closer to him. Alexander placed his hand on his shoulder. "Aw, look at us now...people would think we're father and son."

Alexander did not move, Peter laughed and gazed over Alexander's black-tainted hands and craved for that kind of magic and power to color his own skin.

"I hate this."

"It's all your fault, look... I accept the fact I'm a monster, okay, but you need to know that you raised me and made me this way."

"I made you and I can destroy you..."

Peter frowned and placed his hand on Alexander's shoulder. He looked down. His shoulders and back made an up-and-down motion. For an instant Alexander thought he might be tearing up but to his surprise when lifted his head he had a cartoon-like smile displayed on his face.

"But you can't." Peter pointed his index finger upwards, closed his eyes, then quoted: "If you harm an apprentice, you shall be exiled," Pete smirked satirically, "and we all know exiled is just another word for hmmm, how can I say it...well,..death."

"Do you ever shut up?"

"Really...and let me give you a little tip for our next encounter...don't ever tell me to shut up."

Alexander rolled his eyes.

"Now Alex, imagine this: a world where guardians are free to do what they want, a world where we don't have to take care of humans. A world where we live a normal life! What do humans do for us anyway? They don't even know we exist and we sacrifice our lives trying to protect them..." Alexander shook his head while Pete kept pressing, but now on a softer voice, "...a world where you can visit your child."

Alexander felt time stop...his heart and hands paralyzed, his eyes in a frozen graze. He shook his head to come back to reality.

"You—"

"Ignacio! It's such a nice name. After all this years, you will get to see your little human... thing...and your human lover! What was her name again?"

Alexander didn't reply.

"Well...you could be the father you always wanted to be..., and why, because that's what you were meant to be, that's what you were to me— a good and caring father, my Master Alex, my..."

Pete's body fell to the ground unconscious. Alexander watched him on the floor surrounded by yellow dandelions...a dollop of dirt tainting the otherwise beautiful scene.

He left Pete alone, silently stepping over the grass and vanishing into the world of his thoughts. He took a deep breath and went back to the Guardians' palace. What happened to him wasn't his responsibility anymore. He did his job...he made Petra immortal.

He expected to finally find peace over this issue, but the last thing he felt was redemption. In any case, he was sinking into an even deeper problem. Was it worth it? The answer didn't matter, what was done, was done.

The rain took them by surprise so they found shelter at the nearest gas station. Tate laughed at Mac's creative insults towards the meteorologists who said it would be a sunny day. Cheese ran inside the station's small restaurant while Lip followed him with a newspaper covering his recently dyed hair.

After all the guys got inside, Tate looked back and noticed Cassie standing outside in the rain, and she certainly didn't care about her clothes or getting her hair wet. She extended her hands and tilted her head upwards, feeling the delight of each cold drop drenching her skin.

She had only a month left to live and two days before another apprentice took over the Icarus Mission, whatever that meant. She inhaled a deep breath and turned around. Tate was behind her, she looked at him with the most bittersweet smile he'd ever seen.

Cassie was no longer the confident girl carried a gun and wouldn't hesitate to shoot him; she was now the shy girl who was embarrassed to sing in front of people, the girl who helped them make a music video, the girl standing in front of him, soaked, and still somehow managing to look hauntingly beautiful.

He took off his leather jacket and placed it around her shoulders. Pushing the strands of hair covering her face off to the side, she whispered, "Is this the part of the story where you kiss me in the rain?"

He smiled, but couldn't get past her sad look. It was obvious what she wanted. He held her face with both hands. She looked desperate and lost and when she grabbed Tate's hands he knew she was holding onto him because she had nothing else to hold on to. Nobody to talk to; no friends and no family, it was only her and her destiny.

"No," Tate replied with a tinge of regret.

Cassie didn't seem angry about it, or at least didn't show it. She smiled and said, "That's good," and before going inside she added, "because right now I must look a miserable mess."

"Are you nervous?" Cassie asked, snagging one of Tate's French fries. He handed her the almost empty bag for her to take the rest for the festival.

Tate looked at Cassie's hair, dripping water on the wooden table.

"No," Tate replied, "at least not yet."

"Don't worry, it's going to be...exceptional. Plus, you've done concerts before...well, this one is just bigger with a lot more people," she added.

"Not helping at all."

"I'm not here to help...I'm here to steal your fries!" she teased, narrowing her eyes and giggling while popping another fry into her mouth. Tate noticed she was happier than before as if what happened under the rain didn't happen at all...or in some strange fashion managed to chase some of her demons away.

Just like she pretended the karaoke night didn't happen, she didn't say anything about it, which was strange enough. He didn't remember much, other than a few things like telling Cassie about his family.

"Cassie," he called her under his breath.

"What?" she replied with the same tone.

"I had too much fun last night."

"Me as well," she smiled. Tate shook his head, a failed attempt to shake off the memories of the night before.

"No but—" his voice trembled, "I know I said things about myself that maybe I shouldn't have."

"Shouldn't? Why?"

"I don't know..." He ruffled his hair and sighed. "Maybe they made you uncomfortable?"

"Not at all."

Tate expected Cassie to keep talking but she didn't, instead just staring at him. He frowned, "You really don't want to know anymore?"

"Only if you feel like sharing, otherwise just tell me more about you...now. How come I don't know your favorite color or movie or food, how are we supposed to be a normal couple?"

Tate smiled, "I like red, it's—"

"Hey, sorry."

Cassie and Tate both looked at Mac; he held a bottle of water in one hand and kept spinning the little blue cap with the other.

"Hey Mac, sit. Is everything okay?" Tate asked with Cassie observed closely how he acted around Mac. There was no doubt he cared about him like a brother.

"I just," the redhead looked at Cassie, he seemed nervous, "so is it true...everything Tate told me?"

Mac placed his hand right beside Cassie's, brushing the side of her fingers with his. She took it away in a rapid movement, and then glimpsed at Tate. He had his eyebrows raised.

"Don't be afraid," Tate whispered telepathically. Cassie shook her head in response and awkwardly smiled to the confused Mac.

"Are you immortal?" he asked.

"I'm not sure what's going to happen...I mean...I'm supposed to die...but I'm immortal so..."

"You don't know."

Cassie felt the urge to respond...thinking about the chance the fire would end up killing her would be more likely than the chance of her living, but instead she shrugged and whispered, "I don't know anything anymore either."

"Is there a way to kill a Guardian?" Mac asked. The question made both Cassie and Tate uncomfortable.

"Is there?" Tate asked Cassie, like an echo resonating in her head. She moved her head slightly down. Tate knew that it meant there was. "I think...only Guardians know what that is?" She moved her head to the side.

"No, I don't think they can be killed," Tate blurted. "Why do you want to know?"

Cassie pinched her eyebrows in confusion.

"Oh, I just wanted to know," Mac replied.

"Hey guys we need to keep moving!" All three turned to see Chester with a big bag in his hands, "The rain is stopping so let's get going before it starts up again."

"Coming!" Tate shouted. Mac stood up as well.

"Why did you lie?" Cassie asked as soon as Mac disappeared behind the door.

"Remember we have to find out who told Mac about me?"

She nodded in agreement.

"Well, I want to trust Mac, I really do. But what if the person who threatened him sent him to ask us how to kill an immortal? I mean, why he would want to know that?"

"Curiosity?"

"Don't be naïve."

"I'm not...I just don't want to suspect him of being capable of hurting us."

"I think someone is up to something and they are using Mac for their plan."

"If he asked how to kill an immortal, and all Guardians know how, then whoever it is... is not an immortal. Therefore, that someone is not part of the Twelve or a Guardian or apprentice."

"Clever."

"Elementary, my dear Watson."

Cassie rolled her eyes and giggled.

"Guys!" Lip's head popped out of between the doors.

"We will talk about this later," Tate added telepathically.

She nodded and they rushed out of the station. Cassie looked at Mac behind her. She saw confusion, sadness, and anger bottled up in his tense body. Had Mac become a pawn in someone's chess game?

It was time for Cassie to make her move.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

202K 8.1K 94
Dominant. A person of aggression, disrespect is never in their tolerance. Prideful, strong, and fearless... none would come across them. Alexandriell...
2.6K 141 57
A profound love between two people betting against all odds, would they be able to stand together? or let the fate decide... Synopsis: Two different...
598 222 38
Destiny always has a Cruel way of Proving Things! Phantom Awakens!! The death has a name now, The Black Knight !!!!! One has the power to mak...
5.5K 1K 39
I stepped forward and asked, "Where do you want me?" It took me a second to realize what I just said. Shit! I placed a hand on my crimson face and mu...