She's Too Naive

Av Megnets

What is the definition of a perfect summer? For small town girl, Ellie Charleston, a perfect summer includes... Mer

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Epilogue
BOOK TWO! !
NEW STORY

Chapter 34

413 23 4
Av Megnets

A few days later and it was already time to move on. Being cooped up in a hotel room for nearly a week was unbearable, and I was thankful to see the outside world pass by in a blur. There had been no sign of the Def, and I was beginning to think we lost them. But Rosen and Cole weren't so sure.

Sighing, I stretched out my cramping legs in the backseat. We had been driving for a good three hours now without stopping once. We had just passed the Ohio border and were now entering into West Virginia. The plan was to stay in Virginia for another few days, and then travel back down to South Carolina. Back to Shorely.

I could make it another week.

I had restricted myself from watching or reading any more news stories about myself. It only made this whole situation harder.

"We're going to stop at the next exit," Cole said from the driver's seat. Rosen was sitting in the passenger side, slumped over and asleep. We had left early this morning, and the sun was only just beginning to touch the treetops. Although I was exhausted, I wasn't able to fall asleep in the car. I felt too exposed to Rosen and Cole, even though I had obviously slept in front of them before.

"Are we going to wake him up?" I asked, nodding at Rosen. I couldn't see his face from my position, but I could tell he had his hand curled up under his chin to support himself against the window. His whole body appeared less coiled and threatening as he slept.

"He'll probably wake up when we stop or slow down, he's a pretty sensitive sleeper," Cole replied.

True to Cole's words, Rosen jolted awake as soon as the car came to a halt. I held back a small smile as I exited the back seat and stood on wobbly feet. As I stretched, my back cracked and the muscles in my calves slowly unwound.

Cole was pumping up gas into the tank, and Rosen began chattering to him about directions. I, on the other hand, had no time to waste as I scurried off inside the gas station to use the bathroom. Drinking that coffee had been a bad choice.

I began picking out some snacks for the rest of the journey, noticing Rosen getting cash from the ATM. Although he had explained the bank account he had with money from the Def, I was still unsure on how much money was really in there. It seemed that all these traveling costs would be expensive. Not to mention I had no clue what the weapons obtained from Chez had costed.

Placing the varied items on the counter, I waited for Rosen to grab some things before he came up to pay. I felt embarrassed to not have any money. I wasn't ever used to having people pay for things for me, and it felt wrong. I didn't enjoy being dependent on other people to help me.

The man behind the cashier eyed Rosen's one hundred dollar bill, holding it up to the light before marking it off with a sharpie. Impatiently, I pulled at the ends of my newly dyed hair. I still wasn't accustomed to the look of having darker hair, and each time I looked in the mirror I was surprised to see the person in the reflection was me.

Rosen reached up and plucked a strand of hair from my black t-shirt, flicking it off his finger as it floated to the stained linoleum flooring. I caught his eye and smiled.

He grinned in return, nudging my shoulder with his own, but had to break his gaze as he received the change. We both grabbed the plastic bags and Rosen shouldered open the door as we walked back towards the car.

Cole was waiting for us, leaned against the hood with his hands jammed in his pockets. He rapped his knuckles on the roof when we piled the bags into the backseat, and took his spot again as driver. Rosen offered to drive, but they decided he would just take over when they stopped again next.

Snacking on my gummy worms, I had my seatbelt off and my legs kicked up across the backseat. To say I was bored would be an understatement. I had never gone on any road trips, and the longest I had been in a car was two hours. We were just beginning our fourth hour of non-stop driving.

Rosen was behind the wheel this time, and Cole was looking at a good old fashioned map. Neither of the boys owned smartphones, claiming they were too easy to track and also too expensive to replace often, so they had to resort to other resources when obtaining information.

"I'm so sick of trees, I think i'm ready to move into a big city for college," I groaned, making Rosen laugh lightly.

"We'll make another stop soon before we enter Virginia and find a place to stay," Cole assured, tapping his thumb on the window. I nodded my head along to his response, and also to the beat of the music emanating from the speakers.

"Whatever happened to your CDs?" I asked Rosen, recalling the huge stack he'd had in his old car. But they had torched that car back in New York to avoid any evidence.

"I kept them, but they're back with Amanda," He admitted, disappointment creeping into his voice. He had probably worked hard on all those CDs, and who knew when he could go back and get them.

"Rosen," Cole interrupted, leaning forward to look out the side mirror better. "Think someone is following us."

"What?" I asked, turning to look out the back window. There were like four cars behind us. "How can you tell if they are following us?"

"Watch," Cole muttered. I continued keeping my eyes on the line of traffic, when a sleek silver car suddenly stood out to me. At first, I wasn't sure why but then I noticed it veering left, almost crossing the yellow line, before swerving right and quickly slipping back behind the truck in front of it.

"What are they doing," I furrowed my eyebrows, looking back at the boys. Rosen's jaw was clenched and the orange indicator on the speedometer moved up clockwise.

"They're checking to see if we are still up here, and then trying to use the truck as a shield," Cole explained.

"Pretty stupid move if you ask me," Rosen added. passing a white SUV. "Most likely more young recruits."

"I wonder why they haven't sent the big guys in yet," Cole mused, rubbing his neck. "We obviously have escaped enough times now."

"Good question," Rosen mumbled, watching the mirror. When the speedometer began showing eighty miles per hour, I decided I should probably put my seatbelt on. The next intersection we got to, Rosen took a sharp left turn and continued down the road, this time only going five above the speed limit.

I craned my neck to look out the back window, and Rosen muttered a curse the same moment the silver car began following up behind us.

"We need to get into town, and fast. Cole, lookup the closest route to town," Rosen demanded, hitting the accelerator. This time, the silver car had realized it was caught, and began catching up to us.

"Next right," Cole ordered, and the turn came up not five seconds later. The tires squealed as we blew through the stop sign and turned right. I felt my heart rate begin to pick up, and Rosen's hands were tight on the steering wheel.

Thankfully that right turn led right into town, and Rosen was able to slow down. He said that the Def wouldn't risk exposure and run us off the road in town.

The silver car had been pretty far behind us, and my eyes widened when Rosen took a quick turn into an alley. Cole and Rosen both shared a look before getting out of the car.

"What-" I began confused, right as Rosen opened my door. He leaned over and unbuckled my seatbelt, his arm brushing my stomach. His green eyes met mine, and he must have read the confusion on my face.

"You and I are getting out. Going to hide out in town while Cole drives around and tries to lose them. It's best if we split up," he explained quickly, resituating the two guns in his jeans. He was wearing a jacket, and pulled it closed to help hide the obvious shape of the guns.

I clambered out quickly, stumbling on my wobbly legs. Rosen wasted no time in grabbing my arm and pulling me back as Cole squealed out of the alley.

"Where do we go?" I asked, apprehensive as I looked around the empty area.

"Let's go in back behind the buildings, easier to hide from them." I followed Rosen closely, my one hand gripping onto the arm of his jacket. He kept both hands free, but near the handles of the guns in the waistband of his jeans.

I jumped when Rosen accidentally kicked an empty can, and I saw him try and hide his grin.

"This is not a laughing matter," I grumbled, cursing myself for being so skittish.

"I know, but it's a can," he laughed quietly, nudging my side with his free hand. He suddenly stopped when we heard voices, and I quickly found my back pressed against the brick wall of the alley. Rosen had his back squished against me, his hand on his gun, as he tried to hide me while the footsteps grew nearer.

I held my breath.

The footsteps passed by without stopping. Rosen moved away from me with a sigh.

"Just some normal people leaving the restaurant," he explained.

We began walking behind the building, but Rosen stopped and squinted, seeing someone up ahead. He pushed me towards a dumpster that reeked of weeks old food.

"Hide behind here, just in case," Rosen said.

"Wha-" I began saying but was already being crammed behind the dirty dumpster. I plugged my nose and winced, trying to keep out the sour smell.

I was expecting Rosen to follow suit, but he didn't join me and I felt my heart spike a beat.

Holding my breath, a voice suddenly came out from nearby.

"Rosen, long time no see."

I cursed internally, swearing up and down at Rosen for leaving me behind there.

"Jase," Rosen's cool voice replied. I tried peaking around the dumpster so I could see what was happening, but was too afraid of being caught.

"Hate to do this to you but..." the sound of a gun clicking nearly made me fly out of my hiding place. "I have direct orders from the Def to bring you and Cole back. More specifically you." Jase said.

"See, it's not very convincing to point a gun at me and basically say you need me alive," Rosen replied, and I pictured a grin on his face. There was silence for a few moments.

"You happen to know where the girl you were traveling with is? That shithead Knox lost her." I was surprised they didn't know I was with Rosen and Cole again. But, Jase was baiting Rosen, attempting to get a rile out of him or some sort of emotion.

"Haven't heard from her, don't care."

"I find that hard to believe." I heard some footsteps and then another gun being drawn that had to have been Rosen's.

"Don't seem so confident," mystery man Jase said. "I can easily explain to the Def that your death was an accident." My hand flew to my mouth to hide the noise of my breath. The sound of my heartbeat was loud to my own ears, and I questioned if they could actually hear it from the other side of the dumpster.

I couldn't hold it anymore. I peeked around the corner.

Rosen was out of my view, but I was able to see who I guessed was Jase. He looked to be in his mid twenties, with buzzed short brown hair. He also had a scar running down the side of his neck that made me shudder.

Jase's finger shifted to the trigger, and I couldn't help my instinct to jump out from behind my hiding spot.

"Wait," I cried, desperately trying to prevent Rosen's death. Both boys turned to look at me, seeming completely caught off guard. Rosen's eyes were as wide as plates.

"Ellie," he said, jaw clicking. A smile slowly grew on Jase's face.

"Not a smart move," Jase tsked, cocking his head to the side to observe me. I stood frozen, now realizing what situation I just put myself into. Did I awkwardly walk over to Rosen or did I stay put? Would this Jase guy shoot me? I wasn't really important so it was pretty likely.

"Come here," Rosen ordered, his gun back to pointing towards Jase. I guess that answered one of my questions.

In a tense silence, I shuffled my way to Rosen who effectively stepped in front of me.

"How cute," Jase cooed. "Now where is the third wheel? Is Cole hiding behind another dumpster?" Rosen refused to reply, not wanting to satisfy Jase by a reaction.

"On the count of three, you are going to run as fast as possible. I'll be right behind you, promise," Rosen whispered so only I heard.

"Confessing your love before you're separated? or maybe she can come back with us to the Def. Bet you'd love that, huh Rosen?" Rosen tensed, his muscles coiling. I internally yelled at him to stay focused.

"One," Rosen began the countdown under his breath. I tried composing myself for the run of my life. "two..." Nobody notices Rosen's finger inching towards the trigger. Jase kept taunting Rosen, the idiot too busy to pay attention.

At the same moment Rosen said three, a flurry of events occurred. A small pop and a whistle sounded at the same moment my shoes gripped the pavement as I took off. I heard a shout, and footsteps behind me, but didn't dare turn back.

I ran behind side streets, and in between buildings, knowing Rosen was behind me. His breath was coming out in pants and it was pretty obvious if it was Jase I would have been shot.

When my legs burned so much I could barely lift them for the next stride, A hand gripped my arm and pulled me to a stop.

"It's me. It's me," Rosen repeated, dragging me into his arms. I breathed him in, my body trembling from exertion and from the adrenaline of what just happened. We held on to each other tightly, each of us gasping for breath. Drinking in the cool oxygen.

"We're safe," Rosen said, reassuring me most likely because he could still feel me trembling in his arms.

"We're safe," I repeated softly, testing the sour words on my tongue.

I didn't feel safe.

PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK -THANK YOU :)

Thank you everyone for reading! I have received some positive feedback from this story and every word means so much to me! If you enjoyed, please vote and leave a comment! I love hearing what you guys think of the plot!

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

3.6M 117K 41
You've got one boy. One girl. One pretty little lie. A perfect relationship. The perfect boyfriend. The perfect girlfriend. The perfect dates. The pe...
435 8 14
she was almost a nobody anxious about an uneventful summer. no big trips, no big plans, nothing. absolutely nothing at all. except maybe working a f...
17.5M 243K 26
[SAMPLE ONLY. PUBLISHED IN OCTOBER 2016] - LINK TO PURCHASE E-BOOK ON MY MESSAGE BOARD! "Why are you being nice to me? I'm a freak, I'm blind," Riley...
779K 62.2K 34
|| a featured story || Aurora never planned on spending her final month alive falling in love. When she meets Gus, a curious boy who is all too eager...