Crow's feathers - Naruto fanf...

By the_hooded_girl

After years of banishment the fourth Suna sibling returns. But why now of all times and what is her connectio... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 Traitor
Chapter 2 Blood
Chapter 3 Sand
Chapter 4 Regret
Random Note 1 Profile
Chapter 5 Love
Chapter 6 Guilty
Chapter 7 Birds
Chapter 8 Shadows
Chapter 9 Heart
Chapter 10 Stormcrow
Chapter 11 Renegade
Random Note 2 Taryn
Chapter 12 Secrets
Chapter 13 Leaves
Chapter 14 Promises
Chapter 15 Truth
Random Note 3 Background
Chapter 16 Siblings
Chapter 17 Gone
Chapter 18 Duty
Chapter 19 Kidnapped
Chapter 20 Priorities
Chapter 21 Those that are precious
Random Note 4 Family
Chapter 22 Maturing
Chapter Extra C-rank mission
Chapter 23 Ichibi
Chapter 24 First touch
Chapter 25 Jinchuuriki
Chapter 26 Faith
Random Note 5 Akatsuki
Chapter 27 Friends
Chapter 28 Betrayal
Chapter 29 Unforgiven
Random Note 6 Jutsu
Chapter 31 Recruited
Chapter 32 The choices we make
Chapter 33 Regrouping
Chapter 34 Forsaken
Random Note 7 Numbers
Chapter 35 When there's nothing left to say
Chapter 36 Sacrifice
Chapter 37 Forever
Chapter 38 Shinobi
Chapter 39 Soulmates
Chapter 40 Illusion
Chapter 41 Love over honor
Random Note 8 From the past
Chapter 42 Politics
Chapter 43 Confrontations
Random Note 9 Family 2
Chapter 44 Crossfire
Chapter 45 A world of Pain
Chapter 46 Complications
Chapter 47 Heart of an avenger
Chapter 48 The way of the ninja
Random Note 10 - Eye Jutsu
Chapter 49 Darkness of the heart
Chapter 50 No matter what
Chapter 51 The lost and the lonely
Chapter 52 War council
Random Note 11 Lovers
Chapter 53 Brothers in arms
Chapter 54 Keep your enemies closer
Chapter 55 Casualties
Chapter 56 Tell me something true
Chapter 57 Family Reunion
Chapter 58 Teammates
Chapter 59 Desertstorm
Random Note 12 Timeline
Chapter 60 The calm before the storm
Chapter 61 The Eye of the Moon
Chapter 62 Evernight
Chapter 63 The end of all things
Chapter 64 The point of no return
Chapter 65 No one can be strong all the time
Chapter 66 The voice of reason
Chapter 67 A price to pay
Chapter 68 My brother's keeper
Chapter 69 Prodigies
Random Note 13 Taryn's brats
Chapter 70 Something worth living for
Chapter 71 Legacy
Chapter 72 Motionless
Chapter 73 Never again
Chapter 74 Conspiracies
Chapter 75 We weren't born to follow
Chapter 76 Students and teachers
Chapter 77 Those left behind
Chapter 78 Hate and love and everything in between
Chapter 79 Guilt and blame
Chapter 80 Forgotten heroes
Chapter 81 We took the long way home
Epilogue
Extra: Priviliged
Extra: How to be a ninja - Daro
Extra: The edge of a knife
Extra: Black Wings - Kuro
Extra: No questions asked
Extra: Through hard work - Hiro
Extra: The might-have-been - Itachi
Extra: Marked
Extra: Inner workings of the criminal mind
Extra: Flock of birds - Kakashi
Extra: Moving on - Sasuke
Extra: Letters to home
Extra: Taryn Trivia

Chapter 30 Nemesis

7.2K 187 18
By the_hooded_girl

He had been watching her from the shadows for a long time. Ever since she had been brought into Akatsuki, he’d had his eye on her. A girl from two nations. She had potential. She had the blood of two elite families. The secrets she would know… The chakra amount she had… Yes, he could use this one.
Usually she kept close to Itachi Uchiha, but now she was alone, training. He could see she was very skilled, but he had expected no less from someone that could tie with Itachi in the Chuunin Exams at the age of only eight. He would have to make his move now.
He stepped out of his hiding spot and moved towards her.
She heard him and turned around in a fighting stance.
He smirked. “Not so aggressive Taryn.”
She narrowed her eyes at him. "What do you want, Orochimaru?”
He shrugged casually. “I was merely watching you train.”
“Well don’t,” Taryn said, “I don’t like it.”
Orochimaru chuckled. “Are you always that hostile?”
“Yes actually,” she answered him, “now get lost.” She didn’t like this man. He had a creepy smile. He had been watching her before, but had never approached her until now.
Orochimaru’s eyes narrowed. “You should really learn who not to pick fights with.”
“Yeah, people tell me that all the time,” Taryn said through her teeth. She jumped aside just in time to evade his attack. She returned the favour with a wind attack. All she heard was his chuckle. She whirled around and activated her Byakugan.
He was right behind her and she used Gentle Fists on him. She managed to land a few hits before he evaded her.
Orochimaru concealed his presence in a thick mist and even with Byakugan she couldn’t locate him. First to get rid of the mist. She gathered chakra and released fire. Immediately after that she used her Byakugan again, but she was grabbed by Orochimaru before she could finish her attack.
“Got you,” he whispered and dug his teeth in her neck.

Taryn shot up straight in her bed. Her hand went to the curse mark in her neck and she bit back a cry of pain.
It had been burning.
Normally it only did that when Orochimaru manipulated it, but there was no reason for it to hurt now. What did this mean?
She slid out of bed and opened the window. The day had only just begun.
There was a knock on her door and Taryn turned to answer it.
A Jounin stepped in to her room “Gaara-sama wishes to speak to you,” he said.
Taryn nodded confused. “I’ll be right there.” She closed the door and got dressed. She wondered what Gaara wanted with her. He had allowed her to leave the village again, but that didn’t mean he had forgiven her.

A few moments later she knocked on the door of the Kazekage’s office.
“Enter,” she heard him say.
Taryn stepped into the room and waited, her hands on her back.
“Come here,” Gaara said, “I want to show you something.” He took a scroll from his desk and rolled it open.
A bit surprised, Taryn came closer. The tone in his voice had been as it always had been when he was speaking to her. As if they’d never had and argument. “What is it?” she asked. 
"I thought it might interest you to know that our scouts have located one of Orochimaru’s hide-outs.”
Taryn took the scroll from him and hurried to study it. “This is close to the border of Wind Country.”
Gaara nodded. “The report dates two days ago. He might still be there.”
Taryn looked up. “Are you  going to send a team?” she asked.
Gaara stared at her with a serious expression. “I thought you might want to go.” When Taryn kept staring at him, he sighed. “Taryn, I won’t pretend to have the slightest idea of what you’re up to, and I think it’s best if I don’t know, but try not to get yourself in trouble.”
“Gaara…,” Taryn started to say, but she stopped when she wasn’t sure how to continue.
He gave her a faint smile. “There’s a lot I don’t know about you huh. All those years you were away…”
“I’m sorry,” Taryn whispered.
“Uchiha Sasuke’s brother huh,” Gaara mused. Taryn glanced at him. “You know he’s not going to listen to you, right?” Taryn said nothing. Gaara shook his head. “Be careful Taryn.”
She nodded. “You’ll inform my team that I’ll be gone for a few days?”
Gaara nodded. “I will… come back, Taryn.”
She cast him a careful smile. “Don’t worry about me. I can take care of myself.” She put the scroll back on the table and walked out of the office.

***

Carefully she walked through the deserted building, a dagger ready in her hand. With Orochimaru, she wasn’t going to take any risk.
It was clear that he had been here. The question was, where was he now?
“Taryn Desertstorm,” a low voice said behind her.
Taryn moved fast and ended up behind him, a dagger at the nape of his neck.
Orochimaru chuckled. “It’s been a while. I expected you to show up last time, with the others.”  “Heh,” Taryn scoffed and lowered the dagger.
“He’s not here,” Orochimaru continued. He leaned against the wall and glanced at her.
“You were  here to kill him, right?”
Taryn raised an eyebrow. “Like Sai you mean?” she asked.
Orochimaru tilted his head and gave her an amused smile.
Taryn looked at him. “Why would Danzou want Sasuke dead?”
“Why indeed?” Orochimaru mocked.
Taryn narrowed her eyes.
Orochimaru chuckled at that. “Perhaps you should ask Itachi,” he suggested. He grinned at her. “He’s not going to come with you. Even his friends couldn’t persuade him to come back with them. What makes you think he’ll listen to you? He must hate you.” He eyed her curiously. “You must realize that.”
“I’m not here for Sasuke,” Taryn said. She raised her kunai dagger again.
“You’re not serious, are you?” he asked.
“Try me,” Taryn growled.
Orochimaru flashed forward but Taryn evaded him and hit him in the back with her flat hand. He whirled around and threw a wind attack at her.
Taryn got out of the way and made a few handseals. Fire formed around her and she cast it forward. He countered it with a water jutsu.
Taryn blew it away with a wind attack and charged forward with her Byakugan.
Orochimaru smirked. With a swift movement he grabbed her and pushed her against the wall, a hand around her throat. He chuckled softly. “Still not good enough.” He lifted his free hand, but before he could strike, Taryn dissolved into thin air. “A clone huh,” he mused, “clever girl.”
He looked up when he heard noises outside.
From a tree, Taryn jumped to the ground, followed by Kabuto. Immediately after he landed, he was thrown back by a large wind attack from Taryn.
Kabuto hit a rock with is back. Blood dripped from several cuts on his body. He threw a few needles at Taryn, which she cast aside, and started healing his injuries.
Taryn however didn’t give him much time for that. She charged at him with lightning around her arm.
Kabuto gasped when her fist went right through is stomach. “Heh,” he coughed, “you’ve learned some new tricks.”
Taryn saw a movement from the corner of her eye and she jumped away from Kabuto, out of reach of the lightning blade that was cast towards her.
A few feet away stood Sasuke. His eyes cold and his face emotionless.
“Seems I’m not the only one,” she said.
“You again?” Sasuke growled, “what do you want now? I told Naruto already. I have no intention of going back. I’ll do anything to get my revenge. You can tell him that.”
Taryn studied him for a moment. He had changed. He had become stronger. Perhaps he could even take her on now. He could take Itachi on now… The hate that burned within him made him dangerous. She glanced at Orochimaru. She wondered if he realized just how dangerous his precious ward was. Perhaps he could even… “I’m not here for you,” she told Sasuke, “stop making yourself so important.”
From the corner of her eye, she saw Kabuto’s surprised expression. She had noticed him giving nervous glances towards Sasuke. So he feared the boy. Then he turned to Taryn with a mocking grin.
“Then what were you here for?” he asked.
“Taryn was paying us a visit in an attempt to kill me,” Orochimaru smirked, “wasn’t that so? Hm? Taryn?”
“I was,” Taryn answered. She cast an amused smile towards Sasuke. “But I changed my mind.” She turned around and casually walked away, not noticing the calculating look in Sasuke’s eyes. Kabuto made to attack her, but Orochimaru stopped him with a gesture of his hand.
“You’re letting her walk away just like that?” Kabuto asked.
Orochimaru chuckled at his tone. “Ah. You never did get along with her, did you. Let her go. She’s not important.”
“Did my brother sent her?” Sasuke asked coldly.
“Sasuke,” Orochimaru mocked, “you really don’t know her that well do you? I have no doubt that she’ll report to him when she meets up with him, but she  had another purpose by coming here.” “Which would be?” Kabuto asked. He was still healing the wounds she had caused him. Orochimaru tilted his head. “Information,” he said.

Taryn made her way back through the canyon. She had known from the start that she didn’t have the power to kill him, but she would have tried anyway. At least now she had gained some valuable information. ‘Orochimaru…’ she thought, ‘I truly think you picked the wrong vessel this time. I wonder if you will realize it… before he kills you.’
She smirked and increased her speed.

***

Taryn ran blindly. All she cared about was getting away. It didn’t matter much whereto. She had nowhere to run to anyway. But she would be safe once she reached the border.
She gave a glance over her shoulder. They were still chasing her. Mist ninja were a real pain. Especially those in Orochimaru’s service. And since she refused to use the curse mark he gave her, they had a huge advantage on her.
They had injured her already. She pressed a hand against her side to stop the bleeding, but it kept seeping through. At this rate they would catch up with her in no time.
‘Sorry Itachi,’ she thought to herself, ‘but I don’t think I can keep my promise to you.’
She groaned as a sudden rush of pain went through her. She wasn’t going to make it in time. The blood loss was already affecting her.
She stumbled.
Out of nowhere came a handful of needles her way. Taryn gasped when a few of them found their mark and embedded themselves in her shoulder and leg. She fell to the ground and gasped. Kabuto stepped into her vision. He smirked down at her. Taryn narrowed her eyes at him in a hateful glare.
“Trying to run?” Kabuto asked while kneeling next to her.
Taryn took a dagger and pointed it at him. “Get away from me.”
“Put that away will you,” he said, “I’m going to help you.” He pulled the needles out of her muscles.
Taryn bit her lip to stop from screaming.
Kabuto placed his hands on the gash in her side and started to heal it. “That’s a nasty cut you have there,” he commented.
“Why would you help me?” Taryn hissed through her teeth.
Kabuto smirked. “Isn’t it obvious,” he said coldly, “you want to leave. And I want you gone. What better way to accomplish that than by helping you in your escape attempt?”
Taryn chuckled darkly. “Is that jealousy I hear?” she asked, “you do know that Orochimaru will never choose you for a vessel, do you?”
“He might when you’re gone,” Kabuto growled.
Taryn laughed openly now, but gasped when Kabuto sent a wave of pain through her.
“Don’t mock me, Taryn,” he warned.
“Heh,” Taryn scoffed, “you’re a fool Kabuto. Why would you even want to be a vessel for that bastard?”
Another pain wave. Taryn groaned.
“He saved my life when I was a child,” Kabuto told her, “for that alone I would give mine in return.”
“He only saved you because he had use for you. No matter how deep you crawl for him, he’ll never favour you. He only needs you for the transferring jutsu. If not for that, he would never have bothered.”
Kabuto moved his hands to her other wounds. “Laugh all you want,” he said, “one day he’ll see that I am the only right vessel for him.”
“I’m not laughing,” Taryn said, “I just pity you.”
Kabuto narrowed his eyes. “You should have been honored that he chose you,” he said, “but instead you decided to betray him and run.”
“Shouldn’t you be glad then,” Taryn mocked, “now you can take my place.”
Kabuto glared at her. He hated this girl. Hated her because Orochimaru favoured her even though she so clearly despised him. Hated her because she had more potential than him, because she mocked him.
Because of her pride.
Because she was right.
He pulled his hands away after healing the last wound. “They’ll be here soon,” he said, “I advise you to get out of here before they do. And don’t come back.”
“I wasn’t planning on coming back," Taryn assured him.
“Heh,” he scoffed.
Taryn made a few handseals and vanished into thin air.

***

“I have met with Taryn Desertstorm,” Sai reported. He sat kneeled in a building somewhere in Konoha, “it was on our mission towards the land of Storms. Her team crossed ours.”
Danzou narrowed his eyes. “Taryn…,” he growled, “did she speak with you? What did she want?” “She asked… about Sasuke,” Sai answered.
“Did she now,” Danzou said surprised. He held a thoughtful expression. “I always knew that girl would cause trouble. It would have been better if her banishment hadn’t been recalled. That would have made it easier to keep an eye on her.” He paced the room, unaware that Sai was eyeing him curiously. “She doesn’t know,” Danzou continued to himself, “if she knew the truth, she would have acted on it. What did she say to you?”
Sai waited a moment before answering. “She asked if she was on my hitlist.”
Danzou’s face was unreadable. “She must never learn the truth,” he said, “I have to make sure of that.”

***

“Have you forgiven me yet?”
Taryn whirled around at the sound of the voice. He looked tired, but he cast her a faint smile. “What are you doing here?” she hissed.
“As far as I know, the land of Iron is still neutral territory,” Itachi shrugged.
“You’re still a wanted criminal,” Taryn said, “no matter what nation we’re in.”
Itachi took a step closer. “You should turn me in then.”
Taryn sighed. “You know I won’t,” she said softly. He took another step. “You need to go,” Taryn said, “I’m not alone. My team will come back any minute now.”
“Yes, I know,” Itachi said, “I saw them enter the blacksmiths.” He tilted his head. “They’ll be a while longer.”
Taryn stared at him and then gasped in horror. “What did you…?”
“They’re fine Taryn. They’re only being stalled. I wanted to speak with you.”
“How did you know I’d be here?” she asked.
He smiled, but didn’t answer her. She glanced towards the building that held her three students. “They’re fine Taryn,” Itachi said, “I promise.”
“What did you want to talk about?” Taryn sighed.
His eyes were sad when he took another step towards her. “Nothing really,” he said, “I just wanted to see you again. I caused you trouble last time we met.”
It was the way he squinted his eyes that alarmed her. She reached out and ran a finger underneath is eye. “How bad is it?” she whispered.
Itachi closed his eyes and sighed. He leaned forwards and placed his forehead against hers. “Don’t worry,” he said, “no matter how blind I’ll become, I’ll always see you.”
“You think that’s what I’m concerned about?” Taryn said a bit angry.
“Are we really going to talk about me turning blind?” Itachi asked coldly.
Taryn sighed.
Itachi looked up and when he saw her expression his eyes saddened. He kissed the corner of her mouth. “Stop worrying I see enough.”
“Itachi…,” Taryn started, but she was cut off by shouting.
“Stay away from our sensei!” Hiro shouted and sent his waterdragon jutsu at Itachi.
Itachi jumped out of the way and stared at the boys emotionless.
Daro and Kuro were right behind their teammate and made ready for another attack.
Taryn stared at it stunned.
Kuro came to stand at her side and took a handful of shuriken, ready to throw. Taryn’s arm stopped him. She saw Daro make a few hand signals. “Stop!” she shouted.
Hiro turned and looked at her confused, but lowered his hands.
Daro didn’t. He sent a huge rock towards Itachi who blocked it and Itachi then made a few signs that would precede his fireball jutsu.
“No!” Taryn yelled at him. “Daro!” she shouted. He ignored her. “Daro Kamori! I order you to stop!”
Daro gritted his teeth and kept glaring at Itachi.
Kuro eyed his sensei curiously. This was Itachi Uchiha?
Taryn turned to Itachi. “Leave,” she said. Her voice sounded pained.
Itachi eyed her for a long time and then looked at the three boys who were so eager to fight for her. His gaze lingered on Daro for a moment. He made a few signs and vanished.
Taryn let her breath escape, unaware that she’d been holding it.
“Sensei…” Hiro said hesitantly, but Taryn cut him off.
“Did you get everything we needed?” The boy nodded. “Good,” Taryn said, “let’s go then.”
“But sensei…” Hiro said again.
“No Hiro,” Taryn told him.
“But…”
“I said no!” She brushed past Kuro and started off into the opposite direction.
The boys exchanged glances, but one  by one started following after her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

120 0 12
'You guys worry too much, I' am not that weak and totally useless girl from the past anymore. You guys should worry about yourselves first. Don't wor...
1.4K 77 13
A girl who has been branded with the mark of the criminal group 'the Akatsuki' appears at Konoha one day, broken and mentally damaged. What will it...
20.6K 510 13
Amaya Uchiha is only 12 years old, yet she is stronger than an usual child of her age. There are many reasons but one of them is that, the night of t...
4.3K 196 24
Itachi × Reader × Kakashi After the death of Sakumo Hatake, Y/n Ikari was thrown away from the village in accusations of killing him. Even after the...