Crow's feathers - Naruto fanf...

By the_hooded_girl

After years of banishment the fourth Suna sibling returns. But why now of all times and what is her connectio... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 Traitor
Chapter 2 Blood
Chapter 3 Sand
Chapter 4 Regret
Random Note 1 Profile
Chapter 5 Love
Chapter 6 Guilty
Chapter 7 Birds
Chapter 8 Shadows
Chapter 9 Heart
Chapter 10 Stormcrow
Chapter 11 Renegade
Random Note 2 Taryn
Chapter 12 Secrets
Chapter 13 Leaves
Chapter 14 Promises
Chapter 15 Truth
Random Note 3 Background
Chapter 16 Siblings
Chapter 18 Duty
Chapter 19 Kidnapped
Chapter 20 Priorities
Chapter 21 Those that are precious
Random Note 4 Family
Chapter 22 Maturing
Chapter Extra C-rank mission
Chapter 23 Ichibi
Chapter 24 First touch
Chapter 25 Jinchuuriki
Chapter 26 Faith
Random Note 5 Akatsuki
Chapter 27 Friends
Chapter 28 Betrayal
Chapter 29 Unforgiven
Random Note 6 Jutsu
Chapter 30 Nemesis
Chapter 31 Recruited
Chapter 32 The choices we make
Chapter 33 Regrouping
Chapter 34 Forsaken
Random Note 7 Numbers
Chapter 35 When there's nothing left to say
Chapter 36 Sacrifice
Chapter 37 Forever
Chapter 38 Shinobi
Chapter 39 Soulmates
Chapter 40 Illusion
Chapter 41 Love over honor
Random Note 8 From the past
Chapter 42 Politics
Chapter 43 Confrontations
Random Note 9 Family 2
Chapter 44 Crossfire
Chapter 45 A world of Pain
Chapter 46 Complications
Chapter 47 Heart of an avenger
Chapter 48 The way of the ninja
Random Note 10 - Eye Jutsu
Chapter 49 Darkness of the heart
Chapter 50 No matter what
Chapter 51 The lost and the lonely
Chapter 52 War council
Random Note 11 Lovers
Chapter 53 Brothers in arms
Chapter 54 Keep your enemies closer
Chapter 55 Casualties
Chapter 56 Tell me something true
Chapter 57 Family Reunion
Chapter 58 Teammates
Chapter 59 Desertstorm
Random Note 12 Timeline
Chapter 60 The calm before the storm
Chapter 61 The Eye of the Moon
Chapter 62 Evernight
Chapter 63 The end of all things
Chapter 64 The point of no return
Chapter 65 No one can be strong all the time
Chapter 66 The voice of reason
Chapter 67 A price to pay
Chapter 68 My brother's keeper
Chapter 69 Prodigies
Random Note 13 Taryn's brats
Chapter 70 Something worth living for
Chapter 71 Legacy
Chapter 72 Motionless
Chapter 73 Never again
Chapter 74 Conspiracies
Chapter 75 We weren't born to follow
Chapter 76 Students and teachers
Chapter 77 Those left behind
Chapter 78 Hate and love and everything in between
Chapter 79 Guilt and blame
Chapter 80 Forgotten heroes
Chapter 81 We took the long way home
Epilogue
Extra: Priviliged
Extra: How to be a ninja - Daro
Extra: The edge of a knife
Extra: Black Wings - Kuro
Extra: No questions asked
Extra: Through hard work - Hiro
Extra: The might-have-been - Itachi
Extra: Marked
Extra: Inner workings of the criminal mind
Extra: Flock of birds - Kakashi
Extra: Moving on - Sasuke
Extra: Letters to home
Extra: Taryn Trivia

Chapter 17 Gone

11.9K 291 15
By the_hooded_girl

It's easier to run - Linkin Park
Added video on the right. All credits to the creator
D1G1T4Ldarkness.

-----

It was still early morning. Not many people were out on the street, but a little boy, seven years old, ran across the village with an excited expression on his face. He didn’t even look up when he passed two teenagers that were staring after him amused.
“Isn’t that your little brother?” Taryn asked curiously. She leaned against the wall and looked at Itachi.
He nodded at her. “Yes. That’s right.”
Taryn smiled. “Is this his first day at the Academy?”
”He started last week,” Itachi told her, “he’s quite the ambitious one.”
“I’m sure he’ll do well,” Taryn said.
“Yeah,” Itachi agreed, “I believe so too.”

She was going to be too late. Well, to be fair, she had already been too late at the Chuunin Exams. Did it really matter if she would make it now? But a promise was a promise, even if she knew she could never keep it.
Her spurt had slowed to a jog. She couldn’t give anymore. She would have to save her energy for later.
She saw them from a mile away.
Naruto and Sasuke.
Rivals.
And friends.
Charging at eachother as if they were enemies.
If they continued like this, eventually one would kill the other.
Taryn sped up again. She arrived the moment Sasuke threw Naruto against a rock. The boy fell into the water below and floated for a while. “Sasuke!” Taryn called out angry.
He turned around. The cursemark had already covered half of his face. He gave her a mocking grin. “You again? Are you here to stop me too? Or did you come to kill me?”
“Don’t do this,” Taryn said, “Orochimaru is not the way.”
“You’re one to talk,” Sasuke spat, “you have the same mark in your neck. You just didn’t appreciate the gift of power.”
“Power like that comes at a price,” she told him.
“Not that lecture again. I’ll tell you what I told Naruto. I don’t care if Orochimaru wants to use me as a vessel. As long as I get my revenge I’d do anything. Ah… but of course… you don’t want me to kill him, do you? My precious brother…” He grinned darkly. “Nothing you say will stop me.”
Taryn nodded. “I thought you might say that.” She lifted a hand and lightning formed around it. Sasuke chuckled. “So, you’re going to use that against me after all. Let’s bring it then.” He started his own Chidori and charged at her.
Taryn sighed and increased her lightning. Instead of  just around her arm, it evolved around her whole body now. She charged at Sasuke.
She knew she shouldn’t use Chidori in her current state. She hadn’t forgotten Kakashi’s warning. She knew she could die if she overused the jutsu. She knew she wouldn’t be able to stop Sasuke, but her pride didn’t give her a choice. She would die trying.

The impact of the blow slammed Sasuke backwards into the rocks. He fell to the ground and groaned. Slowly he gathered himself and crawled to his knees. He glared at Taryn.
He had to admit it. She was strong. A lot stronger than him, but he knew she was injured.
She had probably fought others to get here. And she almost used up her chakra. He on the other hand still had enough. And then there was this new power.
He smirked and stood up.
On the other end of the field, Taryn crawled up too.  The clash had thrown her back as well. Her head hurt. She was out of chakra, but she wasn’t giving up yet.
She readied herself for another attack when suddenly Naruto jumped back in. His chakra was that of the ninetails. “I told you,” he said to Sasuke, “I won’t let you go. You have to wake up. If you don’t, I’ll crush you. And when you’re mangled enough to stop, I’ll drag you home!” He slammed Sasuke to the wall.
“Heh,” Sasuke said, blood dripping from the corner of his mouth, “you… who has no parents, no brothers… what can you possibly  know about me? You were alone to begin with! What can you know about me?! This pain is born from my family bonds! How could you ever know what it means to lose anything?!”
“You’re right,” Naruto said, “I don’t know a thing about having a brother or real parents, but whenever I’m with master Iruka, I kinda get the picture. He’s kinda like a father. And… whenever I’m with you… I imagine… maybe that‘s what it is like to have a brother.”
“Why?” Sasuke asked, “why do you waste so much effort on me?”
Naruto smiled. “Because for me… you were part of my family. So that‘s why. That’s why I have to stop you.” 
Sasuke smirked. “Bring it on then,” he said, “If that’s what you think, then all I have to do is severe  that bond.”
Naruto clenched a fist. “Nothing I say is gonna sway you, is it? Sasuke…”
“That’s right,” he answered, “all we have left… is the fight.”

Taryn watched the two charge at eachother. There was nothing she could do. She had no strength left. Her injuries finally made her body give in and she sunk to the ground. She saw how Naruto drew on the ninetails’ chakra and how Sasuke entered the second stage of the cursemark. They collided with a blinding flash and the sound of thunder made Taryn’s ears go deaf.
Clouds gathered and rain started to fall.
And then it was over.
Naruto lay on the ground unconscious. Sasuke stood over him and looked at him for along time. “Naruto,” he called.
There was no answer.
Sasuke flinched and grabbed his shoulder. Suddenly he buckled over and coughed up blood. He looked at Naruto one last time. And then he was gone.

Taryn slowly dragged herself towards Naruto and felt his neck. There was a faint heartbeat and she sighed relieved. He was still alive.
In the distance she heard approaching footsteps. “Kakashi,” she muttered and looked up at him. He looked at her with sad eyes. Pakkun appeared next to him. He sniffed the hitai-ate that was lying next to Naruto.
“It’s Sasuke’s,” he said.
Kakashi sighed and picked it up. He placed it on Naruto’s chest and lifted the boy in his arms. He glanced at Taryn. “Are you alright?”
She nodded. She was just tired. She took in his sad expression and averted her eyes. She knew how hard this must be on him. He had lost a student today and a second one had almost been killed.
She carefully crawled to her feet and stumbled for a moment.
Kakashi was staring out over the valley. “He’s gone, isn’t he?” he asked.
Taryn didn’t answer him, knowing he didn’t expect her to either way.
“The rain has stopped,” Pakkun noted, “the way it’s been pouring, we can’t track him now. Not by scent anyway. Besides, we’re better off taking care of Naruto than chasing after Sasuke.” Kakashi nodded sadly. “Yes…” He looked at Taryn who looked like she could fall over any second and she was holding her injured shoulder. “Can you walk?” he asked concerned, “I can’t carry both of you.”
“I’ll be fine,” Taryn whispered, “take him home. He gave it everything. He needs medical attention.” She gave a half-hearted smile. “I’ll be right behind you.”
“Are you sure?”
She nodded.
“Okay,” Kakashi said and headed for the village.
Taryn waited until he was out of sight and stared out over the valley. ‘One day I’ll keep my promise,’ Taryn thought to herself, ‘I promise you that.’

While Kakashi hurried through the forest, Naruto woke up. “Kakashi-sensei?” he muttered, “where’s… Sasuke?”
Before Kakashi could answer he was greeted by a medical squad. “Kakashi! How is Uzumaki Naruto?”
“He’s doing well enough,” Kakashi answered.
“Where is Sasuke?” another asked.
It was silent for a long time and Naruto’s eyes saddened.
The medics exchanged looks of understanding.
“What of the other Genin?” Kakashi changed the subject.
“Oh yes, “ a medic answered, “the lady Hokage dispatched medical squad one and two. They found the Genin in various places, all injured. They performed first aid and carried them back. Nara Shikamaru suffered minor injuries. Inuzuki Kiba took some deep lacerations, but his life is in no real danger. Hyuuga Neji and Akimichi Choji are seriously wounded. Their fates are unknown at the moment.”
“Taryn of Suna is behind me,” Kakashi said, “she’s injured. Someone should go see her and bring her to Konoha.”
One of the medics nodded. “I will go.” He disappeared into the forest.
“Come,” Kakashi said softly to Naruto, “let’s get you back to the village.”

In the hall just outside the OR sat two people on a bench. Shikamaru nervously fumbled with his fingers.
Across from him, on the other wall, Temari stared at him. “Come on,” she said, “it doesn’t help anyone working yourself up. With every mission comes sacrifice. You’ve had psychological training.”
Shikamaru glared at her. “There’s a difference between training and doing,” he said, “I’ve been on missions before… I thought I knew what it was t be a shinobi. I… this was the first time I was named team leader. It helped me realize… I’m not fit to be a shinobi.”
Temari snorted. “Look mister Delicate. You call yourself a man?”
Shikamaru stood up. “As a team leader. All I could do was put my trust in my team. I was so naive… inadequate for the task. This is all my fault.”
“So,” Temari said, “you’re afraid of getting hurt?”
Shikamaru hung his head and walked away without a word.
“So,” a voice said, “when a girl whips her tongue you turn tail?” He looked aside and found his father leaning against the wall.
“I don’t have the energy right now for quarrelling,” Shikamaru answered, “that’s all. I’m not a woman alright?”
“Of course,” his father answered, “but you’re not much of a man either. You’re a coward. Whether you’re here or not, the missions will go on. Someone has to carry them out. They’ll still send your friends, just under a different leader. It’s the way these things work. They’ll be no less likely to die then. But maybe if you’re their leader your friends will survive. If you really care about them, then instead of running away, you should set your mind to improving yourself. Isn’t that the way friends behave?! Milksop?!”
Temari’s eyes saddened for a moment as she noticed Shikamaru stiffen.
“Don’t be so harsh on him,” a new voice said.
Taryn limped down the hall towards them.
Shikaku glared at her. “He needs to understand that he can’t always take the easy way out.” “Admitting that you failed is never easy,” Taryn said, “this was only his first mission.” She looked at Shikamaru. “You made mistakes. You’re going to make a lot more in the future. Learn from them. Success doesn’t lie in numbers, not even in strength. You should know that. You’re a strategist. Did you really think you’d come back victorious? You were overconfident. Your friends got hurt and now you feel guilty. That is a mistake you won’t make again any time soon. But they put their faith in you too. Don’t disgrace them.”
Shikamaru stared at her as she walked to her sister. Carefully Taryn sat down on the bench and closed her eyes, leaning back against the wall.
“You look terrible,” Temari remarked.
“Then look the other way,” Taryn said.
When the door to the OR opened, Taryn opened her eyes. Tsunade walked out. “He’s okay now,” she said, “his medication had a side-effect that was eating away his healthy cells, but I found an antidote that worked. I thank you Shikaku.” She nodded at Shikamaru’s father.
“Lady Tsunade!” Shizune rounded the corner and wiped the sweat off her forehead. “Hyuuga Neji is out of the danger zone. And one more thing… Hatake Kakashi and Uzumaki Naruto just returned a moment ago. Naruto is injured, but his life is not in danger.”
Temari gave a faint smile while both Taryn and Shikamaru sighed in relief. “How about that,” Taryn said, “everyone survived.”
With his back turned on the others, Shikamaru cried. “Next time…” he said, “next time the mission will be perfect, I swear.”
“Next time I’m going to beat the crap out of that kid,” Taryn muttered. She felt Tsunade’s glare, but didn’t even so much as raise an eyebrow.
Tsunade sighed and shook her head. She would never understand this girl. “Come with me,” she ordered Taryn, “your shoulder needs looking after and I believe you have other injuries as well.” “They can wait,” Taryn said, “you have others to look after.”
“Those others are all out of danger,” Tsunade said, “you may order everyone around in Suna, in Konoha I’m in charge. With me. Now.”
Taryn rolled her eyes and followed Tsunade to her office.

***

On the outskirts of town, a lonely man stood in front of the Memorial Stone. He had been there for hours and as usual he had lost track of time.
Kakashi sighed. “I’m a Jounin now,” he spoke, “I teach and tutor. But things haven’t really changed. I have so many regrets… even with this eye… I still don’t know what the future holds.” He closed his eyes. “I wonder what you’d say to me now… if you could… hm? Obito?” “Don’t blame yourself Kakashi.”
Kakashi looked over his shoulder. “Shouldn’t you be resting?”
Taryn walked up to him. “Probably,” she answered him, “but since when do I listen to advise anyway?” She gave him a sad smile. “It’s not your fault.”
“I should have intervened sooner. Sasuke’s been on edge ever since the Chuunin Exams.” Taryn shook her head. “No. He’s been on edge ever since Itachi killed his family. There was nothing you could have done. He would have left either way. Orochimaru only sped things up. I told you this.”
“He was still my student. He was my responsibility.”
“In the end we are all responsible for our own actions,” Taryn said. She placed a hand on is arm. “No one died today.”
“Still… someone was lost.”
“There is still time,” Taryn told him, “Orochimaru can’t use him as a vessel yet.”
Kakashi looked at her. “What do you mean?”
Taryn sighed. “It takes three years before his soul can be transferred again and he recently changed hosts.” She looked away. The thought of Orochimaru using her father’s body as a vessel made her sick.
“Are you sure?”
Taryn nodded.

“How do you know that?” Naruto asked Jiraya. 
"I have a reliable source,” Jiraya told him, “the art of immortality demands a buffer of at least three years… before he can retransfer. He already transferred himself to a new body, so that gives us three years before he takes Sasuke. We have time.”
“For real?” Naruto asked hopeful.
“Yeah,” Jiraya answered, “but listen. Forget about Sasuke.”
Naruto stared at him in shock. “What?”
Jiraya turned to the window. His voice was sad when he spoke. “Sasuke went to Orochimaru willingly. It doesn’t matter what you do for him. He will not change. I know this. I’ve seen shinobi come and go. Forget bringing him back. It’s the tragic path of self-righteous fools.”
“He may be nothing to you,” Naruto growled, “but Sasuke is my friend.”
“You call him a friend?!” Jiraya barked, “look at what he’s done to you!”
Naruto dropped his gaze and Jiraya sighed. Orochimaru had been his friend once and he hadn’t been able to stop him. He still felt regret over that and he didn’t want the same thing happening to Naruto. “If you’re determined to chase after Sasuke then forget training,” he said, “I’ll stick the ANBU on you and you’ll be forbidden to set foot outside of Konoha.” Naruto gasped. “You’re no ordinary kid, Naruto,” Jiraya continued, “you have the ninetails inside of you. This is serious business. If you disregard my words… if you’re determined to do what you please… I have no choice. Someday you will face an enemy even greater than Orochimaru. You must forget Sasuke. Understood? He was destined to leave sooner or later. Don’t blame yourself. You must forget him. To be a shinobi you need more than strength and jutsu. You must learn to weigh your options and make the right decisions. If you want to live as a shinobi, you must be smarter. This world… is no place for a fool.”
“I understand,” Naruto said, “if being smart means what you say… I’ll remain a fool all my life.” Jiraya stared at him stunned. “Even if I have to do it alone,” Naruto continued, “I’m gonna spin some incredible jutsu and I’m gonna rescue Sasuke. No matter what! And, and… I’m gonna smack down Akatsuki.”
Jiraya’s eyes saddened for a moment. Then he climbed on the windowsill. “If you try this on your own, “ he said, “you will return with nothing. If you return at all.” He jumped outside and landed on the head of his toad. “But you are a certain kind of fool that is true. And a fool as great as you may be able to handle this. When you’re discharged from the hospital… be ready foolish one.”
“Okay!” Naruto saluted.

“He’ll be fine with Jiraya,” Taryn tried to comfort Kakashi, “he’ll look after the boy. They’re tougher than you think you know, your students.”
“I know,” Kakashi said, “but I can’t help but think there was something I should have done. I’m a fool. I thought it would blow over.” He looked at her. “Thank you,” he whispered, “I know you don’t like Sasuke overly much and I don’t know what Itachi has to do with it… and I don’t need to know… but thank you for going after him.”
“I didn’t want him to go to Orochimaru any more than you,” Taryn said.
“I know,” Kakashi said softly.
Taryn nodded and turned to leave. “It is not your fault,” she reminded him as she walked away. Kakashi sighed and turned back to the Memorial Stone. ‘Yeah,’  he thought, ‘but it still feels that way.’

***

Neji panted as his Kaiten came to a stop. Sweat was dripping form his face as he steadied himself again. ‘There must be a way,’ he thought to himself, ‘to make Byakugan see all the way around. If I only train hard enough…’ He looked up at Taryn who was standing opposite him. “Again,” he said.
Taryn nodded and disappeared.
Neji concentrated on any sign of her, but he was hit in the back a moment later. “Concentrate,” Taryn said, “don’t rely on just your Byakugan. Use your other senses to strengthen it.” She turned around and took some distance. “I’ll show you,” she said ad closed her eyes. “Come at me.”
Neji activated his Byakugan again and charged at her. She blocked his attack easily. “Disturbance in the air around you,” she said, “body heat, the soft sound before you strike, a soft breath…” She blocked several of his attacks as she spoke and finally kicked his legs from underneath him. Neji fell backwards, but Taryn grabbed his wrist to keep him up. “Try it,” she said, “it will make up for the flaws in your Byakugan and eventually you might see all around.” “But isn’t Byakugan meant to locate your opponent and see his chakra channels? How can I do that if I close my eyes?”
Taryn nodded. “That is true, but combining it with another kind of defence will help you improve yourself. Sometimes you need to look into the other direction to come to a solution.”
Both of them looked up when Hinata approached them with a tray in her hands. “Uhm…” she said hesitantly, “some tea?”
“Sure,” Taryn answered, “let’s take a break.”
The three of them seated themselves on the porch. Suddenly a small dog tiptoed across the garden and sniffed Taryn’s hand. “Hey there,” Taryn smiled, “good to see that you have completely recovered.”
“Akamaru!” a new voice called. The dog looked back and pranced back to his owner. “Don’t bother her, “ Kiba said to his dog.
He and Shino strolled across the front lawn towards them.
“He’s not bothering me,” Taryn assured him, “I see you have healed too.” Kiba nodded. “Good,” Taryn smiled.
Kiba answered her smile hesitantly. She still made him a little nervous.
Meanwhile Neji turned to Hinata. “Naruto is leaving the village today for training. Are you going to see him of?”
Hinata turned bright red. “Uhm… well…,” she stuttered.
“Didn’t you hear?” Kiba grinned, “Hinata visited Naruto in the hospital. When she saw him bandaged all over she fainted dead away. She’s so embarrassed about it she can’t even show her face to him.”
Hinata’s color turned an even deeper red and the boys chuckled teasingly. “Guys…” she said. Taryn shook her head amused and smiled to herself. It was good to see Neji and Hinata getting along now and even tease eachother good-natured.
“Don’t tease her,” she reprimanded the boys.
Shino turned to her with an expressionless face. “Aren’t your siblings leaving today?” he asked. Taryn shot up. “Shoot!” she said, “I forgot.” She jumped to her feet. “I have to go. See you guys. Bye!” She hurried down the garden and through the gate.
“Eh? What’s with her?” Kiba asked stunned. 
Neji shook his head. “She hangs out with Kakashi too much.”

“Thank you for everything,” Shikamaru said. He stood in the gate to see the Suna siblings off. “Get home safe.”
“Thanks,” Kankuro said.
Temari smirked at Shikamaru. “If anything comes up, just ding us… we’ll help you out. Got it? Crybaby?”
Shikamaru gave a faint smile. “Just one word too far… that’s what makes girls so weird.” He shook his head.
They were about to leave when another figure hurried towards them. Taryn slid to a halt and supported herself on her knees, panting. “Sorry I’m late,” she breathed, “I lost track of time.” Kankuro shook his head amused. “And you used to be so punctual.”
“Can it,” Taryn glared at him.
He smirked at her. “Ready to go then?”
She nodded. “Let’s go.” She looked at Shikamaru one last time. “Thank you for your hospitality.”
“No problem,” he said, “we thank you for your aid.”
Taryn nodded at him. There were a lot of things that could be said, but none of them really mattered now. They wouldn’t change a single thing, so she chose the most simple ones. “See you around,” she said and they left the village to head for home.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.5K 728 35
What if Sakura became part of squad 4? Along with two of her smartest classmates? Instead of being in a group with Sasuke and Naruto, She was pared w...
305 29 9
They say second chances are given to those who deserve no second chances are given to those who make opporunity themselves . I am namikaze tsubaki N...
120 0 12
'You guys worry too much, I' am not that weak and totally useless girl from the past anymore. You guys should worry about yourselves first. Don't wor...
165K 6.9K 40
Sasuke Uchiha never left Konoha. The Uchiha massacre never happened. Itachi Uchiha - Sasuke's older brother, didn't join Akatsuki. Sasuke was never c...