Trusting the Enemy

By Cerberous10

[Torchwood fanfic] Fear was supposed to be behind The Outcast after the Timelords abandoned her in the 21st c... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Book 2

Chapter 8

311 11 0
By Cerberous10

            Owen was still exhausted when he woke up the next morning, and it didn't help when he woke up with a steak knife at his throat and Murdar staring down at him. He shoved her back and plucked the knife from her before standing up and putting it on a table.

"Where am I?" Her voice spoke up behind him.

He turned around to see her now crouched in the corner, still trembling from her wounds. "Not lying dead on the road somewhere like I could've left you."

"Why?" She pressed harder against the wall and glanced around. "Why save me?"

"I'm a doctor." He walked over and forced her to stand up. "And with that in mind, you should listen when I say not to move around too much until I can get stitches in you."

He let go of her and took off the bloodied shirt from last night before walking over to his closet to get something clean. When he turned back around to go over to his dresser he saw she'd left the room, though he could hear her footsteps exploring the rest of his flat, which was basically ignoring his order to stay still as much as possible. Once he'd fully changed he walked out to find her sitting on the floor against the wall while her eyes darted suspiciously around the room.

"The couch is more comfortable." He motioned to it as he spoke before going into the kitchen.

"I'm sure it is." She muttered as he rummaged around for breakfast.

Owen took out a few doughnuts before walking back out to the timid woman and offering two to her; keeping the last one to eat himself. "Follow me."

He saw her examine the food before staring at him. "What is it?"

"Are you serious?" She glared at him as if insulted and he helped her up while explaining. "It's a doughnut... they're good... a bit unhealthy if you eat too many but you could use some though to cover your bones."

"Torchwood One fed me every two or three days if I counted right." Her response was quiet as she slowly followed him. "When they did it was only a small amount of tasteless mush to keep me alive."

"You should stop comparing your Torchwood experiences with my Torchwood." Owen growled a bit as he watched her hesitantly get into the car.

"Give me one reason to see you are different." She challenged him as he drove towards base.

He smirked. "That is too easy, I can list many reasons."

"If you find it easy then do it." She said after swallowing some of her breakfast.

"We haven't locked you up in a cell, no one has tried opening you up to look at your organs, we tried helping you if you would accept it, and if I were anything like those scientists you knew I would've left you for the Daleks to kill before going back to see what they did to kill you."

"Such a graphic image." Her sarcasm held a bored tone. "I could do much better with descriptions than you."

"With what subjects?" He glanced at her challengingly.

"Death." She ended the conversation by turning away from him to look out the window.

"I was thinking a bit differently." He laughed a bit before going silent, finally parking and getting out a few minutes later. "You don't plan on running again do you?"

Murdar was about to respond when a dark blur ran out from the rain slick streaks and knocked him to the ground. A growl sounded in his ear and long teeth brushed against his throat as a large clawed hand pressed the air out of his lungs.

"Serpens?" Owen heard Murdar's startled voice. "Serpens, stop!"

The weight was crushing on his chest and for a moment he thought the beast would ignore the command and sink its dagger like teeth into his throat, but a moment later the pressure left and he looked up to see 'Serpens' whirl around and stalk over to Murdar, a ferocious look in his gaze. Owen watched the woman's face go blank as the Letifer Anguis, as she called it, touched her brow with its snout. A moment later her eyes rolled back slightly and she staggered back until she'd regained her balance, when he'd witnessed this yesterday it had worried him, seeing the vertigo nearly make her pass out now was worse. Whatever that creature was doing was causing more injury to the Time Lady's mind, which she didn't need at the moment.

"Shylah..." He heard Murdar finally speak before turning and passing out on the ground.

Serpens nudged her and Owen cautiously moved past him to pick up the unconscious figure before walking to the tourist entrance where Ianto gave a startled noise.

"Open the door." Owen ordered.

"Owen, there- One of those things, is with you!" Ianto pointed and he glanced over his shoulder to see Serpens had followed him; the large beast's red eyes were focused on Murdar.

"He won't hurt us if no harm comes to the woman." Owen really hoped that was true but considering he didn't want to try refusing that monstrous creature from following he decided it was. "Open the door."

"Jack isn't going to like this..." Ianto did as he was told however.

Owen stepped through the door, Serpens barely able to squeeze through after him. Just as Ianto had warned, as soon as Jack saw him walk through the door with the alien behind him there was problems.

"Harper, what do you think you're doing?" Jack shouted, gaining Gwen and Tosh's attention as he did so.

"Its fine!" He snapped as he walked towards his medical bay, he needed to check Outcast's brain activity.

"Have you gone insane Owen?" Tosh exclaimed, backing away as Serpens growled at her.

"It wasn't my idea!" He stalked away from them before anyone else could say anything, though he could see Jack following with a disapproving look.

Warm breath stirred the hair on his neck as the Letifer Anguis looked over his shoulder, which didn't make him very pleased as he tried to work in the now even smaller space. When he did get the brain waves to show up on screen he froze, obviously a Time Lord's brain activity could be different than a human's but Murdar's activity was off the charts... then it nearly straightened out a few moments later before picking up again at a somewhat normal rate.

"Will you explain what's going on?" Jack shouted from the balcony above.

He glanced up at Torchwood Three's captain. "We have worse aliens than Red Eyes here, Daleks showed up last night."

"How do we know they aren't controlling the Letifer Anguis?" Jack ignored the loud rumbling growl aimed at him.

"They ran from it."

Jack walked down closer, glaring at Owen the entire time. "Explain to me why that means we can just trust these creatures?"

Owen felt Serpens' muscles tense up as the large creature glared up at Jack. "I wouldn't keep talking... He's going to attack."

"Then give me an answer!"

Serpens let out a loud hissing noise and he felt scales brush against his brow, he expected something to happen, to feel pain, numbness, anything really, but nothing happened and the alien pulled away with a frustrated growl. Whatever was supposed to happen hadn't... he felt a brush of relief at that.

On the table came the sound of Murdar waking up, her body jerking up into a sitting position. "They're going to kill her..."

"Who?" Jack asked as he shoved his way in beside Owen.

"Yvonne..." Owen glanced at the screen as she continued to speak; her Beta waves were getting higher; though it was concerning that her Theta waves were as well.

"Yvonne is dead. She died years ago, you told us she died in the Doomsday Invasion." Jack spoke up confidently.

Owen watched the woman shudder. "She's not human... she's going to kill us... she'll start the war over again."

Serpens went to touch her brow but Owen stopped. "You're going to kill her."

The creature growled at him and gave a small snap at his hand before backing off. Jack watched the scene for a moment before looking back at Murdar. "Where is this going to happen?"

She pointed at Serpens. "He'll take you." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

219K 7.8K 39
BOOK ONE // 9th 10th 11th Fanfiction ~~ 'Who am I?' That is the question Elizabeth Smith has been asking herself since she can remember. Literally...
44K 1K 30
(ORIGINAL VERSION) If she wishes for the truth, is she willing to lose everything? *** Willow has travelled with the Doctor and Rose for a year and h...
1.9K 58 12
When The Doctor runs into an old friend, who had been previously assumed dead, it's both a relief and terrifying. Their lives escalate into a whirl...
2.9K 219 23
"Give me a month, better yet a week" You've lived under the thumb of your protective boyfriend for so long that change seems terrifying. Which is why...