Circle of Arcane: The Acolyte

By PsiQueen

Avery Thunderwind always knew there was something strange about her. Although, she couldn't quite figure out... More

♚Circle of Arcane♚
♚Chapter One♚
♚Chapter Two♚
♚Chapter Three♚
♚Chapter Four♚
♚Chapter Five♚
♚Chapter Six♚
♚Chapter Eight♚
♚Chapter Nine♚
♚Chapter Ten♚
♚Chapter Eleven♚
♚Chapter Twelve♚
♚Chapter Thirteen♚
♚Chapter Fourteen♚

♚Chapter Seven♚

947 96 17
By PsiQueen

♚♚♚♚♚♚

1514 New Kingdom Era

Veronica Darkholme.

According to Master Veer, he said that Veronica Darkholme was one of the most influential person in Ilathadent's life and her one time lover. She was a young woman who also happened to be a magic adept. 

He met her somewhere in his early adventures. In history, it was noted that Veronica was somehow in danger and needed to be saved. She accompanied her during her adventures. He taught her all his knowledge in magic and helped her control her power.

However, she was not mentioned again and I am curious what happened to her. Is there any chance that she could she be related to my mother? I want to know. After class, I rushed through the Archives seeking for further more information about this woman.

"Greetings, Acolyte. What can I do for you?" The Mage Archivist Luna Schreave was sitting quietly on her desk.She was one of the masters who's very pleasant to be with. Probably in her mid-thirties, her raven hair was pulled up in to a neat bun as she smiled then she lowered down her book and her spectacles. 

"I'm looking for some history book about Ilathadent?" I told her.

"Oh, head east, the eighteenth shelf and 9th section." She said and went back to reading her book.

"Thank you." I replied before leaving.

I gathered all the books that might contain the information I am seeking and there were hundreds of them written by the Mage Scholars. They said Ilathadent was the first true Archmage but the City of Arcania was built after his death. He was called the wandering wizard or the journeyman prophet in the ancient times.

His birthplace was speculated somewhere in the Mudblood Island in an old unknown kingdom during 1104 Ancient Era. Born as a Prince and heir to their kingdom but somehow he knew something else lies ahead in front of him aside from the riches, power and all the privileges of a Royal life.

He had dreamed about darkness lurking in the shadows, waiting for their time to ascend and conquer the world and heroes uniting to defeat the evil. He asked his advisers about his vision and told him that Monks from the Northern Continent of Evenesse might provide him the answers.

During his early years, he discovered the existence of Arcane and discovered that he had numerous abilities. He left his life as Royal to learn more about this mysterious energy and find the Monks at the Evenesse. An exhausted Ilathadent who had poor knowledge about how to survive in the wild end up starving in the Northern Continent . Almost dying and giving up, before his eyes was a white man with glowing aura descended from the skies. This man revealed himself to be Archangel Wrothage.

The Archangel also told him about the three fallen Archangels Astharatoth, Quoronnos and Kazeaze, the guardians of all existing worlds. However, during their flight they found themselves in an unfamiliar dimension, the barren world Dark Abyss, birthplace of evil. The three Archangels absorbed all the darkness of and succumbed in to evil. Soon, they began to betray the other Archangels and defied the Divine Creator and vowed to take over all the existing worlds.

The Archangel told him his importance, of how strong his connection with the Arcane Energy and the Divine Creator and told him about the Great Prophecy, of how seven heroes who's angelic blood runs through their veins will unite and defeat the three once and for all. He let him drink his own angelic blood to receive his strength and power to defeat the three fallen Archangels and wish him well for his journey.

He stumbled upon a hidden monastery in the Wilbur Mountains and discovered that these monks did have knowledge about the Arcane Energy. This is also where he met Veronica Darkholme, a young orphaned woman who also had a strong Arcane Energy inside her. After his stay on the monastery, he offered Veronica to accompany him in his adventures.

All the books were just about Ilathadent's life and journeys. I knew that in the ancient times, he along the six heroes who accompanied him in the Ancient Kingdom's legendary battle. Thevaneath Mirage of Paladia, Eluna Mirabell of Alorecia, Godfrid of Reginbrand Clan, Tanni Harekson of Archenland, Syrenka of Brek and Waelkyrige Morgernstern of Shadowkissed Lands. The seven of them reached the Dark Abyss and located the Archangels prison and defeated them.

But I couldn't find enough information about Veronica Darkholme, she was a fire weilder. Ilathadent and Veronica shared a close relationship and she was his first companion to have and been with him for 20 years. She was one of the most influential person in his life and the two shared a connection, a bond when young Veronica saved his life once which made them connected through the arcane, they might as well be lovers at one point but I have never read any books confirming it to be true. Veronica was never mentioned again. It was speculated that she might have died during in the battle Fallen's Slumber , the deepest part of the Dark Abyss where the three fallen Archangels were supposed to be dwelling.

Suddenly, I remember the book Archmage Vidui gave me. Codex of Ilathadent. How stupid of me not to realize I had it all this time. There's got to be information somewhere there. I hurried back to my quarters and rummaged the pile of books I have.

I blew the dusts away. I had them under my bed. This book is almost 10,000 years old. I tried to open the book but it won't budge. A huge amount of arcane energy was forbidding me to do so. No way, this book has a protective enchantment spell? Then why would the Archmage give me this anyway? I don't get the point.

I decided to stick with the books from the Archive, there's got to be something there, a hint, a clue or anything. I took my classes regularly and make sure I could still catch up while I am also up on my research. Whenever I have a free time, I would flip the pages and scan its contents desperate for leads. I would always end up carrying a tower of books that I could hardly balance.

"You okay?" Sunry asked as she helped me pick it all up.

"Of course." I lied to her and I walked through the next class.

"You sure love reading.." She pointed out.

"What are you reading about?" Friedrich asked.

"Just history.." I answered.

"You like History? That's the most uninteresting subject of all." Sunry declared and I agreed.

Basic Enchantment and Charms couldn't be more interesting. I also spent time advance studying about it. It takes imagination and a little bit of arcane to make a simple object become magical. Today, we are doing a simple lighting spell to put on a null crystal to make it emit different colors of light. I pointed my index finger on the white crystal and within a blink, it glowed brightly.

"Excellent work, Avery." Master Serena said.

I watched the other Acolytes struggle as they charged it with their own energy and failed spectacularly as some made it shatter, float on its own or make the arcane bounce all over the room.

I ducked to avoid being hit.

"Watch out!" Kylie warned to the others.

"Ahhh!" Sunry screamed. She stood from her seat as the arcane energy caught up with her. A blinding flash of light temporarily blinded us.

"Noo!!" Sunry cried.

Everyone laughed as Sunry's complexion changed in to dark blue, she looked like a creature from another dimension.

"No, get it off! Get it off me.." Sunry was crying hysterically.

"Shh, Acolytes get back to work." Master Serena ordered. "Now, Calm down and stood still."

She uttered an indecipherable language which sounded somehow familiar to me. She wavered her hand as it gathered more energy and concentrated it to Sunry, she was back again to her normal skin color. A reversing spell. I have memorized her words in my mind, maybe it could be useful and might come in handy anytime.

"Are you alright?" I walked towards Sunry.

"Definitely not, having blue skin isn't fun." Sunry complained. "It was so humiliating!"

"You'll be fine.." I put her hand on her shoulder.

The Elemental Class was held outside the Academy's premises. We all settled on the eastern side of the Academy just right next to the forest.

"Water is graceful, it goes with the flow. Do not move like that. Keep your arms above your shoulder.." Master Sheena was our Basic Elements Master. She is pretty young compared to the other Masters in the Academy. Probably in her late twenties and I think she's the Master I liked the best, she had a youthful glow in her face, framed with sunshine gold locks in her face and a pair of twinkling blue eyes. We all gathered outside nearby the fountains and pools where a huge amount of water is present.

To be honest, this subject was the easiest one for me for my days spent with the travels with Archmage Vidui, we did nothing but to practice on the elements and I am pretty much ahead of the other Acolytes here.

Master Serena told me it wasn't necessary for me to take it but Overseer Marcus said that for the sake of formality, I should take it anyway since all mages take them.

"That's lovely, Acolyte." Master Sheena put her hands on my shoulder smiled. Finally, someone appreciates my obvious talents. I continued on making the water flow encircle me. Water manipulation looked more like dancing to me, the waters coordinated with you whichever way you go.

"Just like this one, Acolytes." She said.

"How come this is easy for you?" Sunry whispered. "I could hardly even lift it."

"It's because this is your opposing element." Arabelle answered her. She's doing a great job more than I can.  Well, that's because she's a natural water specialized. She was confident and cool as she glide, it looks as if she was dancing. Once again, her creativeness sparked as the waters split in to tiny amounts and froze in to ice, then she let it encircled her like hundreds of little diamonds.

"Beautiful work, Arabelle." Master Sheena said.

"Show off." Sunry whispered to me.

"Ugh, I hate this element." Sunry silently complained.

I could have chosen to become water specialize. The sub-element ice could be quite powerful and destructive too plus the benefits of having the ability to heal but water wielders were graceful and gentle and I am certainly not graceful nor gentle. The element you specialize tells something about your personality. When I was younger, Bremas said I have a temper and I am easily irritated. Simple things could quickly get me exploding,  just like a raging fire. Even when I was a baby, my cries were lion's roar and it would rock the whole castle awake. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

342 61 18
Lena can see little visions through glass surfaces - but she is not the only one of her kind. In the City of Leatia, humans and demons coexist, cars...
18.1K 1.2K 50
Avery had lived alone in the Cabin her entire life; she just didn't know how long that was. Her only comfort: an enchanted library giving her a windo...
5.9M 262K 52
"What the hell?" I took a step closer to the mirror, staring at my reflection in disbelief. The person looking back was still me, but at the same ti...
14 2 8
They say nothing bad has ever come from reading a book. I guess it depends on the book... Thunderbird Academy is the perfect place for me. Brilliant...