On Ice

By StormAngel963

Calla Bouchard is an eighteen year old girl whose world had recently been rocked to the very core. Thrust int... More

On Ice
OI Chapter 2
OI Chapter 3
OI Chapter 4
OI Chapter 5
OI Chapter 6
OI Chapter 7
OI Chapter 8
OI Chapter 9
OI Chapter 10
OI Chapter 11
OI Chapter 12
OI Chapter 13
OI Chapter 14
OI Chapter 15
OI Chapter 16
OI Chapter 17
OI Chapter 18
OI Chapter 19
OI Chapter 20
OI Chapter 21
OI Chapter 22
OI Chapter 23
OI Chapter 24
OI Chapter 25
OI Chapter 26
OI Chapter 27
OI Chapter 28
OI Chapter 29
OI Chapter 30
OI Chapter 31
OI Chapter 32
OI Chapter 34
OI Chapter 35

OI Chapter 33

1.6K 75 12
By StormAngel963

Saturday, October 27, 2012

I felt the bed dip the next morning far earlier than I wanted to wake up, mumbling I turned over into the warm space Kale had vacated and tried to drift back to sleep. I had almost accomplished my goal when I felt the bed shift a second time and a strong arm wrapped around my waist. Turning and nuzzling my face into the fresh scent of Kale’s just showered chest, I decided that perhaps it wasn’t too early to wake up after all.

“You looked so sweet, I couldn’t resist,” Kale murmured to me before his lips found mine. The kiss started off slow and exploratory, with lips and tongues but soon blazed into something hotter than either of us expected. Groaning, Kale backed off, collapsing back onto the pillow next to me. His eyes closed briefly before he turned his head and looked at the alarm clock and then to the door beyond. I blinked my eyes and couldn’t help that my lips parted in a pout. Kale noticed my reaction immediately and ran the fingertips of one hand across the pouting lower lip.

“Russ is up,” he told me, “We have to leave for the arena shortly.”

Scooting closer to Kale, I rested my head over his heart and tried not to feel disappointed. A comfortable quiet enveloped us while we were lost to our own thoughts. I tried not to get too excited as Kale’s hand stroked through my hair and down my arm before it came to rest possessively on my hip. I was only a bit startled when he moved suddenly, rolling me onto my back beneath him. My whole body heated at the stark hunger in his eyes. Almost breathlessly I waited for Kale to kiss me, feeling the anticipation growing almost painfully with every second that ticked past.

Finally, he ground out, “Living in this house, sleeping in the same bed but not allowed to do a damn thing until after the wedding is going to fucking kill me.”

Before he crushed his mouth down on mine and kissed me like he never wanted to stop. My fingers clenched around his biceps before I had enough sense to drag them up and tangle them in his still damp hair. Instinctively my legs parted for him, my knees cuddling closer to the part of me that I really, really wanted him to pay some attention to. My hips lifted, pressing to be closer still. His hands threaded through my hair, whispered along my jaw and neck before finding the hem of my t-shirt and beginning a deliciously naughty trek north that had me groaning into his mouth. I squawked with surprise as Russ pounded on the bedroom door, shouting, “Let’s go Rookie!”

Thankful that he hadn’t just burst in, I couldn’t help but giggle as Kale removed his hands from my breasts with the speed of a small child busted with one hand in the cookie jar. Kale pressed his forehead to mine, our heavy breathing mingling for a moment before he started to lift himself, pausing for one last kiss before he got up off the bed. I bit at my lip as I watched him finish dressing. When he turned with his hand on the doorknob, I said, “If you win tonight, I’ll let you take me to the cabin.”

It was hard to believe for a moment that the words had come from my lips and I felt my cheeks heat, but despite the embarrassment I wouldn’t take them back. A predatory gleam entered the teal eyes that were like a tractor beam to me, even if I’d wanted to there was no way I could look away.

“Pack a bag,” he ordered with a wolfish grin, winking over his shoulder as he stepped out of the room and disappeared into the hallway.

Sometime hours later, I bolted upright, rubbing my eyes and blinking at the alarm. It was nearly noon and I was running late. Hauling, I trotted down the hall and into the shower before quickly throwing on a t-shirt, jeans and a hoodie. My stomach was just starting to wake up and I wanted to head off any nasty nausea at the pass. Brewing some peppermint tea, I loaded up a super-sized travel mug, grabbed my phone, the purse I used infrequently and my keys. After locking down Fort Bouchard, I paused on the stone pavers that led to the garage and stared at Kale’s Jeep. Sipping my peppermint tea, I wondered for the millionth time what had possessed me.

In a weak moment earlier in the week Tess had absolutely raved about two locations that she thought would be ideal to have the wedding and somehow she’d gotten me to agree to meet her to look at them before the game today. The original plan had been to have LuAnn drive me and get her take on the locations, but LuAnn had already had plans. Kale had offered to be late to his game day practise in order to drop me off, but I couldn’t ask him to do that, instead insisting that I’d be okay to drive myself in the Jeep. Staring at the vehicle now, I was beginning to question my sanity.

Marching gloomily toward the vehicle, I opened the driver’s door and climbed in. Plopping my purse on the passenger seat, I was happy to find that the mega mug of peppermint tea fit in the cup holder in the centre consol and I settled behind the wheel. This didn’t feel so bad. I could do it. I fastened my seat belt and tried to ignore the burble of nerves as I turned the key in the ignition. Taking a deep breath, I also pretended that I didn’t feel a cold sweat break out and shifted the Jeep into reverse. Looking in the mirror, I backed down the driveway and craned my neck first left and then right checking for traffic before backing into the street. Shifting into drive, I felt some of the nervous weight lift along with a sense of awe that I was doing this. I was driving! Something I thought that I might never do again.

I was cruising along a bit under the posted speed limit and rather enjoying myself as I drove toward Vancouver to meet up with Tess. The experience of being behind the wheel was far less traumatizing that I had been envisioning for a good chunk of the week. Of course I’d been imagining the worst possible scenario, a granddaddy of them all anxiety attack or getting into another accident. Russ didn’t say it to me, but I’d gathered from his expression that he expected me to wuss out. It had made me all the more determined to do it, despite the possibility of disastrous results. Kale had offered to ride along if I wanted to make a test drive before today, but honestly I really hadn’t wanted him to see me if the worst did happen. It was becoming an embarrassing regularity to find myself at my most awful around him. He was probably beginning to think that I was a cry-baby.

The first location that Tess wanted to check out with an opening for our wedding date was a place called The Hostess House. From the moment I pulled up I was enchanted by the place. Even though it was October and misting, the landscapes and decorations were fabulous. When I got inside my excitement grew. It had everything I could’ve wanted! There was a cosy chapel that was somehow traditional but modern and airy at the same time. There was a beautiful reception room that was currently being set up for a wedding. The woman representing the location was a font of information and I let Tess lead the conversation. I could imagine myself getting married here and it would be perfect.

My thoughts were a bit shattered some minutes later when Tess said, “This location is lovely, but I honestly don’t think it’s big enough. Thank you for taking us around and answering our questions.” This was news to me. Raising a brow at Tess, I waited until we had both shook the woman’s hand and started back to the parking lot.

“Tess, how large do you think my wedding is going to be,” I asked, frowning before adding, “I wanted something small and intimate, The Hostess House was perfect for what I was thinking.”

My future mother-in-law paused beside me, she smiled and put a hand on my shoulder, giving it a reassuring squeeze, “I remember. Honey, I hate to burst your bubble, but the hockey team alone is going to be nearly 100 guests. And my side of the family is easily another hundred; Will’s family is a bit smaller so rough estimate is about three hundred all together.”

I could feel my eyes about to pop out of my head. Three hundred people! Three hundred people were not small! Three hundred people were not intimate! Tess must have sensed my complete and utter disbelief, because she gave my shoulder another squeeze and said, “I know you and Russ just have each other, but don’t you worry, you’re marrying into a pip of a family!”

Was it possible to hyperventilate without breathing? I couldn’t really see myself, but I was fairly certain that I was doing my impression of a guppy. My mouth would open, I would think better of what I was about to say and close it again. Releasing my shoulder, Tess guided my shell shocked form toward Kale’s Jeep and gave me the address to the second location, which I obediently typed into my phone and searched for directions. I watched Tess get into her beige four-door and drive off. Taking a calming breath, I chugged some peppermint tea and searched through my contacts for Kale’s name.

Pressing the button to connect, I waited and waited while it rang. Finally Kale picked up, a bit out of breath and an edge of panic I’d never heard before was in his voice as he asked, “Calla are you alright?”

My momentary calm was gone and I bellowed, “Do you know how many people your mother is planning to invite to our wedding?”

There was a stunned silence on the other end before Kale responded, “Did you just yell at me?”

“Three hundred,” I screeched, “She is expecting three hundred guests Kale! Three hundred is not small! Three hundred is not intimate!”

Again there was a lengthy pause before he said anything and when he spoke it was muffled and not directed to me. “Shut up Russ! No, just…,” before a muffled hiss before I could hear him talking to my brother again, “I just need a fucking minute she’s freaking out about the number of guests.”

I could tell he was getting annoyed with my brother and in turn it was adding to my growing irrational irritation with him. “Sorry baby,” he said to me a moment later, “Three hundred is bigger than we talked about, but my mom’s just really excited. She probably wants to invite the entire family and unrealistically expects them all to show up.”

His logic soothed me some, but it did not completely dispel my displeasure at having my “dream” wedding hijacked by my future mother-in-law. I grumbled some intelligible sound in response.

“How’d the maiden voyage go, are you doing alright,” he asked, his concern for me clear.

“It’s going alright,” I mumbled, still pouting, “It’s not as bad as I expected. Speaking of which,” I sighed, “I need to get going and meet your mother at the next venue. I love you.”

“As soon as I get done kicking Ranger ass, I’m going to make you sorry that you just told me you loved me in that sullen, whiny voice,” Kale chuckled darkly, “I gotta get going too. I love you.”

The second location was The Heathman Lodge and as I pulled up in front of it I was somewhat doubtful. The place was enormous. When I entered I quickly found Tess ensconced in conversation with a Heathman employee. She’d already had a tour of the event facilities and was a regular chatterbox as I was given a quick walk through. It was very nice. It had a woody, rustic feel I hadn’t expected. It sort of reminded me of Kale’s cabin on a much grander scale. And as an added bonus, out of town guests would be able to stay in the lodge.

I saw the last of my quaint wedding washed away as Tess hashed out the details with the Heathman employee and I signed the contract. My eyes bugged a bit at the estimated price that was boldly scrawled along the bottom, but as Tess was quick to reassure me, that cost covered everything but the flowers, cake, clergyman and deejay. Nodding, I hoped she knew what the hell she was talking about as table cloths and place setting were trotted out before us. When we’d made our selections conversation veered toward food and I shifted uncomfortably in my seat. It seemed the last week I’d eaten because I knew I needed to, not because I was remotely hungry. Leaving it up to me to decide the menu seemed a bit foolhardy and my stomach gurgled.

Staring at the list of food on the paper before me, I really wished that I hadn’t left my tea in the Jeep. Closing my eyes I took a deep breath and shoved the list away. I lifted one hand and pressed at my churning stomach, trying to will it calm.

“Calla are you going to be sick,” Tess asked me, suddenly hovering at my shoulder.

“No, but I can’t look at that and not get nauseated,” I admitted, gesturing at the list, “I’m not really the best person to decide this. Can I take a copy with me and run it by Kale?”

George, the man representing the Heathman shifted his eyes from me to Tess, clearly not understanding what was happening on the other side of his desk, before agreeably agreeing, “Sure, that’s no problem, but give us a call as soon as you decide on a menu.”

I breathed a sigh of relief minutes later when Tess hugged me good-bye and I was once again within the Jeep. Not in a hurry to be anywhere and still a few hours away from game time, I relaxed into the seat and grabbed my phone. Dialling Jules, I hoped to catch her because the only communications I’d gotten from her the last week or so was through text message.

“Joe’s Bar and Grill, Joe speaking,” trilled Jules.

“Hey! It’s so great to hear the sound of your voice. How are you,” I asked.

“Oh you know me, same bat time, same bat channel,” she responded.

Feeling a bit anxious, I asked the question I’d been waiting a week to hear the answer to, “So what did they say?”

Jules sighed and I felt my spirits droop. Then she screamed, “I get to come down for a three day weekend in like two weeks!” I was so elated I hollered, “YES!” and pumped my fist into the air in triumph.

“I know it’s a lot to fit into like two and a half days when you minus the time to fly to and fro,” she rushed, “But I’m over the moon that I actually get to fly out and see you before summer vacation! Who knew that all you needed to do to get my tight fisted parents to spring for airfare was tell them that my pregnant best friend was getting married? Or maybe it was because I threatened to tap into my college fund? Who knows who cares?”

God, I had missed my best friend. Her flippant way with words, her syrupy sweet sarcasm and her devil may care attitude. Two weeks was going to feel like forever, but it still had to be closer than the wedding date itself. I knew Jules planned to come and visit for a while in the summer, but by then I would be living with Kale and really, really pregnant. Surely that wasn’t going to be a whole lot of fun for her. Realistically her coming in two weeks probably wasn’t going to be a whole lot of fun for her either. I was either sleeping or throwing up. If she was lucky Kale and Russ would entertain her while I was out of it.

“I drove today,” I blurted. Interrupting the gushing she was doing about the bridesmaid dresses I’d picked with LuAnn’s help. Jules was silent. This was weird, because the only time Jules was silent was when she was unconscious.

“You want a cookie,” she asked.

My head shook from side to side and my smile was big. I knew she was proud and I also knew that she didn’t make a big deal out of it because she knew that I didn’t want a big deal made of it.

“Good, you can chauffer me around Vancouver when I get there,” Jules said, before flipping the topic to less sensitive ground by asking, “What kind of clothes should I bring?”

Rolling my eyes, I mumbled, “Jeans, t-shirts and sweatshirts. Don’t forget a jacket.” Jules snorted unhappily. Clearly she’d been hoping for bikini and shorts weather. “Seriously, it’s not as cold as Minnesota, but it rains and it’s not warm,” I insisted.

“I can’t believe you’re getting married,” Jules breathed, before laughing, “Of course that’s more believable then you being pregnant. Before this guy, you had pretty much zero attraction to the opposite sex. I was beginning to lose hope.”

I sighed, “His name is Kale. I really think you’ll like him when you meet him Jules. It’s all a little unbelievable to me too, but I think I was waiting for him.”

Jules faked a gag into the phone, “Choke me with a spoon.” I didn’t have to see her to know that she was rolling her eyes. I also knew her well enough that she didn’t really believe in love, not the way I did. Her interest in males was based solely on physical attraction. I hoped that someday someone would come along and knock her on her ass, but I would be happy for her if she was happy.

Before I could respond one way or another, she cheerily went on, “I can’t wait to meet LuAnn! I’ve never met anyone from New Jersey. Are you sure she’s not from a mob family?”

“LuAnn’s great,” I said, my tone solemn as I continued, “If I told you that, I’d have to kill you.” I barely made it through the passé quote without laughing. Jules giggled back, “Time to swim with the fishes.”

We laughed for a good minute at the silliness we inspired in each other before I really answered her, “I don’t know, so keep the mob references to a bare minimum.”

Our conversation ended some minutes later and I pulled out of the parking lot of the Heathman and headed for home. I wanted to refill my tea, do a little something more with my make-up, pack an overnight bag and change before I had to get back in the Jeep and drive to Portland for the game. At a stop light I turned on the radio and began to sing softly along with a song. The mist had thickened into a slow, soaking rain and I automatically reached up to turn on the windshield wipers while slowing to stop for the yellow light ahead. So focused on the yellow light, I didn’t even see the grey truck as its owner gunned the engine and tried to shoot through a small opening in traffic. I was oblivious right up until the moment I heard the squeal of tires trying to find traction on the wet pavement and by then it was too late; too late to understand what was happening, too late to stop, too late to brace for impact.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5M 26.4K 51
college hockey player Wes Graham has tormented Adare Wells since they were in the first grade. pulling her hair, breaking her crayons, calling her na...
132 0 13
Within the span of a year, Noa Barret lost both her mother and her father. Desperate not to lose anyone else she cares about, Noa forbids creating st...
5.4K 203 32
Keira Hale isn't your average 16 year old girl. She hates anything girly. She is very athletic. Her favorite sports are motocross, hockey, and lacros...
226K 3.2K 43
Avery Miller is forced to move to a new town where she'll be finishing her senior year not knowing anyone, what she doesn't expect is the captain of...