Orison | Celeste Academy Seri...

By MyLovelyWriter

|COMPLETE| |Celeste Academy Series Book 3| As summer slowly comes to an end, the Festival of Ember begins. Th... More

FROM THE AUTHOR
Prelude
Chapter One ۞ Gray Scale
Chapter Two ۞ Takes One to Know One
Chapter Three ۞ Prelurésia's Guardians (pt. 1)
Chapter Three ۞ Prelurésia's Guardians (pt. 2)
Chapter Four ۞ The Blessing of the Skies
Chapter Five ۞ Realization
Chapter Six ۞ Riddle
Chapter Seven ۞ Plan to Fight
Chapter Eight ۞ Largesse
Chapter Nine ۞ Cifaro
Chapter Ten ۞ The Return
Chapter Eleven ۞ Reprimanded
Chapter Twelve ۞ Organizers
Chapter Thirteen ۞ A Calm Morning
Chapter Fourteen ۞ Special Class
Chapter Fifteen ۞ Seraphina's Request
Chapter Sixteen ۞ Collaboration
Chapter Seventeen ۞ The Rift
Chapter Eighteen ۞ Clandestine Melody
Chapter Nineteen ۞ Special Dinner
Chapter Twenty ۞ Lesson
Chapter Twenty-One ۞ Revelations
Chapter Twenty-Two ۞ Drawlots
Chapter Twenty-Three ۞ Disruption
Chapter Twenty-Four ۞ Complete
Chapter Twenty-Five ۞ The Lord's Lecture
Chapter Twenty-Six ۞ Open Channels
Chapter Twenty-Seven ۞ Two Songs
Chapter Twenty-Eight ۞ Identity
Chapter Twenty-Nine ۞ Parasite
Chapter Thirty ۞ A Sword That Can't Cut
Chapter Thirty-One ۞ Team Five
Chapter Thirty-Two ۞ Here Comes the Twelve
Chapter Thirty-Three ۞ Trouble
Chapter Thirty-Four ۞ The Library
Chapter Thirty-Five ۞ Finalizations
Chapter Thirty-Six ۞ Grand Opening
Chapter Thirty-Seven ۞ Let It Begin!
Chapter Thirty-Eight ۞ Keelan Versus Brindon
Chapter Thirty-Nine ۞ Let Me Take a Selfie
Chapter Forty ۞ It Takes Two to Tango
Chapter Forty-One ۞ Zevlin Versus Genevieve
Chapter Forty-Two ۞ The Great Fire
Chapter Forty-Three ۞ Halt
Chapter Forty-Four ۞ The Talk
Chapter Forty-Five ۞ Sudden Engagement
Chapter Forty-Six ۞ Stay or Go
Chapter Forty-Seven ۞ Blank
Chapter Forty-Nine ۞ Meeting the Wyldens (pt. 1)
Chapter Forty-Nine ۞ Meeting the Wyldens (pt. 2)
Chapter Fifty ۞ I Believe
Chapter Fifty-One ۞ Headstart
Chapter Fifty-Two ۞ Elfre vs Raziel
Chapter Fifty-Three ۞ Thieves
Chapter Fifty-Four ۞ Bound by Oaths
Chapter Fifty-Five ۞ Spies
Chapter Fifty-Six ۞ Intruders
Chapter Fifty-Seven ۞ Hidden Power
Chapter Fifty-Eight ۞ Captive
Chapter Fifty-Nine ۞ Aneeka vs Rowe
Chapter Sixty ۞ Captive
Chapter Sixty-One ۞ Confrontation
Chapter Sixty-One ۞ Confrontation (pt. 2)
Chapter Sixty-Two ۞ Feverish
Chapter Sixty-Three ۞ Double Trouble (pt. 1)
Chapter Sixty-Three ۞ Double Trouble (pt. 2)
Chapter Sixty-Four ۞ Drakon
Chapter Sixty-Five ۞ Camp
Chapter Sixty-Five ۞ Camp (pt. 2)
Chapter Sixty-Six ۞ Charles vs Tamara
Chapter Sixty-Seven ۞ Sliver
Chapter Sixty-Eight ۞ Time to Return
Chapter Sixty-Nine ۞ Amaranthine
Chapter Seventy ۞ Corvan vs Valeriana
Chapter Seventy-One ۞ The Aftermath
Chapter Seventy-Two ۞ Last Day
Chapter Seventy-Three ۞ Eyes Open
Epilogue
WARSONG

Chapter Forty-Eight ۞ Alone

81K 8.1K 1.6K
By MyLovelyWriter

Corvan threw over a red coat with golden trimmings. It had tassels on the shoulders and a high collar framed by a cravat with a small jewel nestled between its elegant folds. He tugged on the cuffs and folded them once, lining up the row of flat, golden buttons and slipping them into place. He donned black slacks tucked into a pair of boots and pulled back his hair into a high ponytail.

It had been quite a while--two years at the most--since he wore and sported the trademark color of his continent. It was strange to see himself finally return to the image of the young lord he was. He had assumed a different appearance and style after entering the academy. The change was very drastic he barely recognized himself.

From the bright ruby red came a color of royal blue and the flamboyant manner of dressing came to be sacrificed for a more convenient getup.

He needed bring nothing except himself, and hopefully, a companion.

If Valeriana was to not show, then things would be disastrous--not something he couldn't handle, hopefully. Even so, everything would go smoothly with her by his side. He wouldn't be able to fool his family so easily, yet, it was not wrong to try.

It was quarter to midnight when he got to the portals, but Valeriana had yet to come. He felt his stomach turn queasily, a small rush of fear and anticipation being struck into him at the thought of her not being present to accompany him back to his lands. As sudden as it was, he needed her help. He would not be able to depend on anyone else except for the girl.

The young lord stood with clenched fists and tense muscles. Mentally, he was cursing and pleading the stupid witch to come.

Time ticked by slowly. A small drop of sweat trailed down his forehead.

He stood rigidly, glancing at the clock tower standing high amongst the towering buildings that seemed to reach the sky. It was dark out, but the clock glowed a golden hue. The portal before him was a huge door, which seemed unbelievably bigger than it was normally.

Two minutes to midnight.

He gritted his teeth in irritation. He hated feeling this way--to depend on someone else for help and assistance. It grated on his pride and egocentrism. Her resistance itself was an irksome boundary not to mention the mouth of hers she could not control.

He himself did not know what came over him that he did what he did. The Wylden Cosmos was a ring he had spent the last two years trying to find.

Thirty seconds to midnight.

The path leading to him was devoid of presence, nothing but hanging lamps and a blanket of darkness for miles and he managed a rueful smile that signified his bitterness more than anything else. He closed his eyes, swallowing hard.

Yes, he had been a jerk. He clearly deserved this.

10.

Still . . .

"I should've known . . ." Corvan sighed and prepared to enter by himself.

9.

He reached out for the knob and said aloud, "To the Ember Palace in Farstead, heart of the Arlandian Continent."

8.

It clicked and he took his first step forward. It was the sight of his home. Home.

7.

This was a dreaded homecoming. Not exactly something he looked forward to.

6.

The lingering hesitation at the back of his mind made him pause. He erased any trace of it on his face and firmly pulled his mask over.

5.

With that wench or not, he was still the heir to the Arlandian throne. He would be able to handle this just fine.

4.

He held himself back and listened for the strike.

3.

Corvan would leave like he said. At midnight.

2.

It was only a second or two before so.

1.

He breathed out and prepared to take the step.

0.

The loud sound of bells ringing struck his ears. He faced forward and put half of his first foot through. The deafening sound blanketed everything else except for a . . . scream?

"WAIIIIIIITTTT!"

His ears perked and he unconsciously raised a brow.

"WAIT THE WAIT!"

A small smile tugged on his lips. That wasn't even grammatically and semantically correct.

He turned. "You're late. I would've gone without you."

Valeriana stumbled and fell straight on her face, her foot tripping over the other. It was amusing and quite refreshing to see her with her usual antics and clumsy self.

She stood up and dusted herself. The girl gave him a once over. "Well, don't you look different."

"I could say the same."

Valeriana had fixed herself and wore bright clothes that seemed new. She didn't put on frilly skirts or a dress, but simply something that bore a similarity to Seraphina's frequent getups. It would be tomboyish in terms of Valemnian standards, but as a knight-in-training, it wasn't very unusual. She had gathered her hair properly, and looked a bit closer to what could be called decent.

Valeriana took a few seconds to breathe, righting herself. "Alright, I'll say this once. Sorry for being dumb. I can't help but be that way."

"Good thing you know."

"Shut up. I'm having my moment here." She rolled her eyes. "I'll help you in whatever this is, but I demand to know what I'm getting myself into and what the hell the meaning of this is."

Valeriana held up her hand and showed him the ring she had on. Before Corvan could even open his mouth, she took a step forward and spoke again.

"Promise me you'll help me see Arlandia's Guardian Beasts, though. They have something I need their help with. Not to mention we have to be back in time for our duel."

"Alright." He nodded. "Easy enough. I, myself, do not desire to linger. Is there anything else?"

"None. Just don't make this too hard on me. You have to understand what you'll go through after you asked for my help." She told him. "You can't expect me to act like the perfect part."

He stared into her azure eyes and watched as the lights reflected by the other side of the portal reflected on them. "You are enough. I wouldn't have gone through with it otherwise."

Valeriana broke the gaze and looked down at her feet, a rush of shyness coming over to her at the look he had in his emerald orbs. "This will be a one-time thing, okay? Please don't pull me into any of these in the future."

He remained quiet, merely turning to face the portal. "I cannot promise that."

The current fifth opened her mouth to protest when he held out his hand to her.

"We'll just have to see what'll happen."

She resigned to the fate and just accepted his hand. "Alright."

Valeriana was then pulled through the portal. Instantaneously, she got why he wanted to leave at midnight. The moon and stars disappeared the moment they got through and was replaced by a bright, cloudy sky. They stood in a gazebo standing in the middle of a sparkling lake, a long path gravel path ahead of them connected to a beautiful garden beyond the body of water.

The Ember Palace towered above them, the neck-straining view striking awe into Valeriana as she gazed at the preeminent structure. She hadn't seen it this close.

"Alovia has been trying to get herself betrothed to me ever since I met her in a ball." He said, crossing the floor as Valeriana entertained herself with the view. "Her persistence tires me, and it seems she had managed to convince my parents to finally wed me to her at some point."

Valeriana rushed after him. "She's beautiful but one heck of a crazy girl, huh?"

"Your description lacks accuracy." He said. "She is not merely crazy."

"Hm."

"I've been trying to find the Wylden Cosmos before she even did to ward her off. That girl will never give up unless it is spelled in front of her. I have lost the ring before in an accident as a child, yet it is now in my possession once more."

"How did you lose it?"

"That is for me to know." He said, and they finally reached the garden just in time. "I've not gone back to Arlandia ever since I went to the academy to study."

"Why?"

"It's because of a punishment. I need to redeem myself and take full responsibilities, otherwise, I can bid the name of the Wyldens goodbye." He said, his strides long and fast that Valeriana struggled to keep up with him.

"Aren't you . . . um . . . the only child--sole heir or something?" She didn't know how she was going to word it, but assuming Corvan was an only child since his older sister died . . . didn't that make him, well, the only one left to inherit the title?

[A/N: This part was revealed in Chapter 18. Some of you might've not read it since I'm still trying to fix it.]

Corvan stopped short and stared at her. "Know this. Should I fail here, my title as heir will be handed over to my cousin."

"Huh."

"Gavin."

"Garvyn?" Her eyes widened.

"Gavin." He repeated. "You have spoken of having met him before with the king."

She snapped her fingers at the realization. "Ah, that guy. Yeah, you looked like him a bit. Except for the hair . . ."

"I trust that he is here at the moment." Corvan continued, resuming his pace. "He has a rare tendency called wanderlust, so he dislikes being tied down."

They were surrounded by greens varying in all sorts of shades, with spots of budding white and purple flowers. The weather was fair and it was somewhat a bit sunny out. The air was humid but a refreshing sensation against the skin.

"Where are we?" Valeriana inquired inquisitively, her eyes darting to every direction to take in her surroundings.

"The back garden." He said.

"It's pretty." She muttered.

Corvan stopped short, an odd feeling struck into him at her words. He turned to gaze at her and found the unusual joy glinting within her eyes, making them sparkle. It was baffling how easy it was to please this girl.

She shrugged at him and raised her brows. "What?"

"Nothing." He said. "Welcome to the Ember Palace." His lips turned up. "Welcome to Arlandia."

Vote and comment, you guys!

HINT: The next chapter might be uploaded EARLIER (once again, I am NOT demanding for god's sake, this is optional for those who want the chapter soon. I'll still upload otherwise.) if this chapter and the previous one gets a line of 2K votes. ;))))))

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14 2 5
There are five kingdoms on the planet called "Earth", wherein the people have their own elemental power; it is either fire, water, earth, ice, wind...
9.5K 975 63
ONC 2023 Shortlist @YARomance Undiscovered Book of the Month (January 2024) Featured on Wattpad's HighFantasy, StoriesUndiscovered (May 2023), Dange...
275 2 26
Seraphina Aster is a average 18-year old girl who wants her last year of high school to be quick, quiet and painless. She avoids all social interact...
5.1K 486 44
❝ The power lies within you. It is up to you to unlock its potential. ❞ In a city full of demons, Arcane Academy's greatest students are about to fac...