complementary {cth}

By awemichael

"oh calum, don't you see? i'm green and you're red; we're opposites." "but they compliment each other so nic... More

0.0
0.1
0.2
0.3
0.4
0.5
0.6
0.7
0.8
0.9
1.0
1.1
1.3
1.4
1.5
1.6
epilogue

1.2

1.2K 57 2
By awemichael

it was a little past noon the next day when calum showed up to my apartment freezing cold and nervous.

"i can't take this northern weather," he sighed heavily as i let him into my warm living room.

"i know, kangaroo. you just have to bear with it for one more month. what are we doing today?"

"you'll find out," he grinned as he grabbed my hand and my jacket.

i threw the jacket on as i ran after the excited boy. he was going so fast that i barely made it into the elevator before the doors shut.

"now you're the one walking fast," i smiled up at him as my arms found their way around his waist.

"i'm trying to warm my legs up," he whispered into my hair before pressing a soft kiss to the top of my head.

"soon you'll be going south where it's warmer."

"don't remind me," he groaned, "i don't want to leave so soon."

"you have a month," i reminded softly.

"it's not enough time. i really love what i do but you're really important to me now."

"your career is more important, calum. i'll come and go but you're always going to be a musician."

"don't say that," he whined, jutting his bottom lip out to form his famous pour.

"it sucks, i know," i murmured before standing on my toes to kiss his frown away, "now will you tell me where we're going?"

"nope."

✧ ☾✧

calum held his large hands over my eyes as he lead me somewhere. i honestly had no idea where we were going and was getting pretty annoyed with his secrecy.

"how do you not like surprises?" he asked, his lips brushing against my jaw.

"i just don't," i frowned.

"well, learn to love them because they're an amazing thing."

i rolled my eyes the best i could with his palms over my face.

it seemed like forever but he finally stopped walking and gently removed his hands. i had to blink to adjust to the newfound lighting but i gasped when i saw where we were.

"i had no idea you even knew what the guggenheim museum was!" i gasped excitedly, "it's my second favorite museum!"

"your mum told me about it," he smiled sheepishly, "she also said that you had been here a lot but i wanted to see what was so great about it. i figured you'd be the best person to show me around. i'm sorry it's nothing new and exciting."

i smiled adoringly up at him, "i couldn't care less about if it's new and exciting. i love this museum so much and it's so nice that you actually took me somewhere that i could spend hours in without getting bored."

"you're really happy with it?"

i leaned up to press my lips against his gently, "of course i am, calum. let's go look around."

he let me grab his hand so i could drag him throughout the circular building. i slowed down a little when i realized he was having trouble keeping up at me through the crowds of people around us. as i slowed down he forced me against his body so i didn't get carried away. i clung to his body that basically radiated heat as we walked through the first floor.

"what if we fall over the ledge?" he asked as he leaned over the wall.

"get back," i tugged his jacket sleeve until he was back against me.

at some point i lost calum while studying a work of art. i looked around frantically for my tall australian but i ran into another boy, instead.

"sorry. i was just looking at this painting and didn't see you," he chuckled.

"oh, that's okay. it's a really cool piece," i agreed.

"i think it's one of the best here but it's so unappreciated. this place is full of unappreciative people today. like that guy over there. he's just been wandering around on his phone," the man pointed over the where an overly confused calum was stumbling.

"that wandering loser is my boyfriend. thanks for pointing him out," i grinned.

i rushed over to calum who was pouting at a sculpture. i wrapped my arms around his waist tightly as i nuzzled my head into his chest.

"what's wrong, baby?" i mumbled.

"i don't get it," he sighed sadly.

"you aren't supposed to get it," i giggled.

"but you probably have some profound thought about what it means or what it represents. to me it's just a misshapen blob thing."

"that's 'cause it is a misshapen blob thing. don't read into things too much."

"aren't sculptures supposed to mean something, though?"

"well, sometimes. you don't have to know what they mean, though. sometimes it's nice to just see it for how it is instead of making some complex story about what it means."

"i just don't get art," he sighed heavily.

"that's the thing; you aren't supposed to. it's basically made up of abstract concepts that you don't have to understand. if you do, great. if you don't, awesome. it's like with songs, you know? the lyrics say one thing but there's a reason you wrote the song behind the words. outside people won't know that unless they care to dissect the lyrics or research the meaning."

"you make everything sound so pretty," he gushed, "you're so pretty."

"'m'also so cold," i murmured as i got closer to him. i knew he wasn't one to just hand his jacket over to me every time i wanted it so i just let him engulf me in his warmth. he swayed our bodies gently as i took in his scent and the warmth encasing us.

"we should probably continue."

"shh," i hushed him, "few more seconds."

calum complied by hugging me tighter and pressing me even closer. he even snuck in a few kisses until i was satisfied and ready to continue.

✧ ☾✧

i sat across from calum with my feet balanced on his thighs as he tried to throw grapes into my mouth. after the museum we walked around until we found somewhere to eat.

"isn't christmas in, like, a week?" calum asked while letting a grape bounce off of my nose.

"it is," i confirmed.

"what are we gonna do for christmas?"

"i always spend christmas eve, christmas, and then the day after with my parents so i won't be available around christmas."

"i think i have to spend christmas with the boys and talking with my own family. we could, um, we could celebrate it together but just a couple days after," he suggested nervously.

"yeah, sure," i shrugged, "we need to spend as much time together as possible."

"great! what about new years?"

"hmm," i hummed as i thought.

"i usually go to a party or something but i know that's not really your thing."

"yeah, i usually just watch that thing on tv with the dogs because i really only have my parents," i blushed profusely at how lame i was. 

"oh. well, the boys are apparently going to a small party and we can go to that, if you want. it's not gonna be anything big and we don't even have to get drunk."

"i-i don't know," i sighed, "that stuff makes me really nervous and i know i'm super boring. you end up leaving me in the middle of a party, anyway."

his face dropped slightly as he took on my words, "i never mean to leave you. i promise i'll try harder next time. you can even handcuff me to your wrist if you want to. then we can go home and do stuff with the handcuffs because that'd be really hot."

"oh my god," i laughed into my hands.

"it's true!" he grinned wildly at me.

i just rolled my eyes at him as i got up to throw away our trash. i then grabbed his hand and pulled him up so we could go back home.

"i know i'm super boring and i'm sorry about that," i mumbled as i leaned against him.

"no you aren't. relationships aren't always full of adventure and partying. it's nice that i know i can come to you when i want to relax and be lazy. i mean, i always want to be lazy and only on a few occasions i want to go out and do stuff. you were the one that suggested we go out today, remember?"

"i guess," i grumbled.

he just kissed me swiftly before tugging me into a taxi. the ride home was full of trying to get warm by leaning against each other. this boy basically radiated body heat and i was definitely not complaining one bit.

✧ ☾✧

after dinner (we actually went out to eat so calum could try being super romantic) calum and i found ourselves under my covers. we were in the midst of a very heated make out session when i heard bean and albert struggling to get onto the bed. they used to have a stool so they could easily jump up but there had been too many occasions where they had jumped up when calum and i were doing anything but sleeping in bed.

"we better stop before you get yourself all worked up," i pushed him away, panting and flustered.

"oh, i'm the only one that gets worked up?" he countered.

"shut up," i whined, causing him to laugh before flopping down next to me.

i leaned down and brought up the dogs one by one. calum and i quickly returned to our spots pressed up against each other so there was no way the dogs could weasel their way between us. i eventually settled on top of him while bean and albert cuddled with each other. 

"calum," i hummed as i propped myself up to look down at him.

"delilah," he responded sweetly.

"why did you want to go out with me in the first place?"

"you had already palmed me so i just thought it necessary to get your number," he joked.

i whined with annoyance as i hid my face into the crook of his neck.

"nah, it was actually because you seemed so sweet and different than the other girls who usually throw themselves at me. you seemed natural, nice, and you didn't even know i was famous so i knew you wouldn't be going out with me just for the fame. i was also really horny and you're fucking hot, babe."

"you were being cute and then you totally ruined it," i giggled.

"why did you agree to go out with me?"

i shrugged, "i never get attention from boys so i was instantly attracted to you. i'm also all about those aesthetics and you are insanely pleasing to look at. if we're being honest, i almost didn't go out with you again because we had nothing in common but eliza and charlotte forced me into it."

"are you glad you did?"

"so glad," i smiled.

"me too," he whispered before kissing me lovingly.

✧ ☾✧

a week or so later i was walking into my parents' house with my bag dragging behind me. i also had bean and albert struggling against the leashes so i was a mess.

luckily my mom rushed to help me with my stuff so i could let the dogs roam around the house freely.

"merry almost christmas, del," she smiled brightly and pulled me into a tight hug, "i missed you."

"i missed you, too," i returned her cheery expression as i pulled away.

i put my stuff up in my room before galloping downstairs to where my dad was setting up the christmas tree.

"you haven't decorated yet?" i arched my eyebrows with surprise. usually my dad decorated the day after thanksgiving because he loves christmas more than the piano.

"i thought it would be nice to do the ornaments with you," he smiled, "how are you?"

i shrugged, "i'm okay. you?"

"i'm wonderful. why didn't you drag your boyfriend with you?"

"he wanted to be with the band for the holiday and it might be a little weird if calum spent all three days of christmas with us."

he just rolled his eyes and continued stringing the lights across the branches of the fake tree. i sat on the floor near the endless boxes of decorations as i clicked on my phone. i scrolled through a few notifications until i reached something from calum.

adorable lil shit: hi ih i rlealu likey ou

me: are you drunk?

adorable lil shit: mkst likleyl

me: it's not even six yet, calum.

i shut my phone off only for it to light back up with a call from calum.

"i'll be right back," i informed my dad before getting up and walking up to my room. i traced some designs on my various posters as i answered the call.

"sweetie!" calum slurred loudly into the phone, "what's up?"

"just got to my parents. are you okay?"

"i dunno," he hiccuped.

"babe," i sighed softly.

"i just kind of...it just happened, you know? just sort of happened. happened. happ-end."

i stretched out on my bed with my head propped up with my hand as calum continued to test the way random words rolled off of his tongue. i let him start testing out the word 'pineapple' before cutting him off.

"are you alone?" i asked with concern laced with my voice.

"i'm alone in my room, yeah. luke's somewhere and mikey's with him and ashton's with some girl. why am i not with some girl? you're my some girl. why am i not with you?"

i sighed a little as i listened to him drunkenly ramble on until i heard a soft, broken sob come from him. i instantly shot up and my eyes widened at the muffled noises.

"what's going on?"

"i d-don't know," he stammered.

i chewed nervously on my cuticles, not knowing what to say. every time he tried to quiet himself it just got worse. i tightly hugged a pillow to my chest as i carefully thought over my next words.

"just talk to me. it's gonna be okay."

"i-i miss my family, delilah. i m-miss home so much."

"i know," i said softly, "you're gonna get back home, though. it's just a few more months and then you can go back to australia. it'll all be okay."

"but-but you won't come to australia with me, will you? in a few more months you'll be gone."

"don't do this," i whispered, "don't think too much about that, okay?"

"i can't help it," he cried.

"i would offer to come get you but i know you want to be with your friends and you should be with them."

"just invite all of them," my dad said from my doorway.

"dad!" i scolded, "stop spying on me."

"it's the more the merrier. we probably have enough spare rooms and your mom loves to cook for company."

"you don't want four large australians here. one of them is wasted, anyway."

"that's me," calum whimpered.

"calm down," i instructed softly before turning back to my dad, "they're okay on their own."

"you sure? no one minds if they come. i'm guessing they don't get a lot of home cooked meals anyway, right?"

i played with a thread in my dress as i rolled my lips together in thought. calum had calmed down but he was still whimpering and he just sounded so sad. it hurt me.

"cal."

"del," he responded weakly.

"do you want to come over with the boys?" i asked quietly.

"i d-don't know," he sniffled.

"mkay, baby. i'll just text you the address so you can drop by if you want to, okay? we have enough spare rooms and my parents love company so feel free to come at anytime."

i made sure he was okay before exchanging goodbye's and hanging up. i then sent him our address to which he responded with random letters i couldn't arrange into a coherent sentence. i slipped my phone back into the pocket of my red dress before shuffling after my dad.

✧ ☾✧

my parents and i were busy putting ornaments on the tree when the doorbell rang. i ran over to the door, slipping a little when my fuzzy socks came in contact with the hardwood.

i swung the door opened and was instantly burdened with holding up a large boy who reeked of beer.

"he was relentlessly and forced us to come," luke smiled at me awkwardly.

calum was blubbering and i didn't understand half of it. nonetheless i held him up as i moved out of the way for the three others to shuffle in.

"okay, calum, can you stand by yourself now?" i asked softly as i tried to upright him. he whimpered and leaned back into me.

i started backing towards the stairs but he abruptly leaned away from me.

"i smell food and hear dogs," he grinned widely before stumbling away from me. i quickly ran after him but he had already encountered my parents.

"calum," i tugged at his sleeve but it didn't do anything.

"delilah," he slurred, "i'm fine."

"of course you are. i just want to go lie down but you have to come lie down with me."

"cuddle?" he turned to me with hopeful yet dull eyes.

i nodded and sent him a small smile. he smiled giddily as he let me lead him up the stairs and into my room. once on the bed he instantly latched himself onto me with his face buried into the crook of my neck. i securely wrapped my arms around his body and kissed wherever i could reach.

"i'm sorry," he whimpered, his voice thick with emotion.

"it's okay. i'm happy you're here."

he rolled over so now i was lying on top of him but his face remained hidden. i eventually slid down so he was forced to look at me. i wiped a few stray tears away before leaning down to press my lips to his lightly.

"i'm really sorry."

"don't be," i shook my head, "no one is sorry so don't be sorry."

"but i'm gonna ruin your christmas."

"if anything you're going to make it better. it's really no big deal. don't be upset about it."

he sighed, "i'm upset about everything and no one will cuddle me."

"i'm cuddling you so it's all okay now."

"you're so nice to me."

i giggled a little as i rested my head on his chest. i picked at a random thread and rubbed my fingers over the droplets of water the snow had left on him. calum just held onto me tightly as he stared at the ceiling with lazy eyes.

my nose scrunched up as i sniffed around his clothes. he smelled like smoke and i didn't know why.

"calum," i leaned away from him, "why do you smell like cigarettes?"

he blinked at me slowly with a dumbfounded expression, "um, it was the guy i sat next to on the bus."

"it's a really prominent smell. you don't smell heavily of smoke if you just sit next to someone."

he avoided eye contact and i took this as my opportunity to kiss him, my tongue instantly diving into his mouth. i let my tongue slide over his until i figured out the taste.

"you smoke," i gasped.

"um," he trailed off, "um, uh-"

he cut himself off abruptly as i patted him down until i was able to retrieve a box. i stared down at the carton of cigarettes with wide eyes. it's not like i was going to force him to stop, i was just surprised.

"they're ashton's?" he tried.

"are you, like, addicted?"

he shook his head frantically, "it's just a few here and there. i wanted to try it and it helps with stress sometimes."

"i could help you with stress," i murmured as i gently traced designs over his covered chest.

"you aren't always with me."

"listen, i'm not going to force you to stop but i really think you should before it gets to be an addiction. my grandmother just died of lung cancer so i'm kind of against it."

"i'm not gonna remember any of this," he sighed heavily before giggling a little.

"then i'll tell you again after nursing you back to health from your extreme hangover."

"i'll try to remember," he smiled before looking up at my ceiling.

i continued to straddle him until he abruptly pushed my off and ran downstairs. i scrambled out of bed and after the stumbling boy.

"where are you going?" i called after him.

"i smelled food and heard dogs. those are my two alerts to go somewhere."

i laughed a little at how accurate that statement was before continuing to chase him. when i finally caught up he was on the kitchen floor with bean and albert settled in his thighs.

"here, cally, try this," my mom bent down to hold a spoon in front of calum's face. he instantly wrapped his lips around it and sucked the cookie dough off of it.

"'s'good," he mumbled through a mouth of the sticky substance.

"now try some green beans once you finish the cookies."

he smacked his lips before reaching for the fork full of my mom's famous green bean casserole. he ate it contently, swaying a little as he did so. it was either because he was intoxicated or he was happy now. my guess was that it was both.

i slowly sat next to calum and laced our fingers together. he moved out intertwined hands around as he began to hum quietly. i leaned against him and kissed over his shoulder.

"i'm sleepy and i'm drunk," he whined.

"come on," i stood up, dragging him along with me, "let's go find your friends."

✧ ☾✧

a/n: calum :-(((

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

98.5K 1.2K 51
god damnit we look good together
117K 5.2K 25
you're just a project. not a lover. copyright 2014 completed.
259K 2.7K 72
@michaelclifford liked your post.