Beauty in the Bones: Season 1

By Holly_Gonzalez

Innocence is subjective, and power always has its price--so his elders told him. Silas Blane is destined for... More

Author's Note
The Cast
Episode 1: Arrivals and Rivals
Episode 2: A Fanfare of Savagery and Facades (Part 1)
Episode 2: A Fanfare Of Savagery and Facades (Part 2)
Episode 3: A Ruinous Reception
Episode 4: Through the Wild Gate
Episode 5: Scoundrels and Sacrifice
Episode 6: The Voices that Remain
Episode 7: Song of Bone
Episode 8: Innocence is Subjective
Episode 9: Visions and Confessions
Episode 10: A Treasure Like No Other
Episode 11: Remember the Foundation
Episode 12: Surrender to Beauty and Death
Episode 13: Thresholds
Episode 14: The Worlds Await
Episode 15: A Crossing of Paths
Episode 16: The Irony of Desire
Episode 17: A Daring Declaration
Episode 18: Exploring the Edge
Episode 19: Fortune and Retribution
Episode 20: The Portent
Episode 21: Adoration and Abandon
Episode 22: Fleeting Farewells
Episode 23: Impressions of Power
Episode 24: Calling Across and Beyond
Episode 25: Emergence
Episode 26: The Guardians Abide
Episode 28: Entangled Splendor
Episode 29: Weaving the Fall
Episode 30: Old Bones to Pick
Episode 31: Sin and Sincerity
Episode 32: Eve of Illusions
Episode 33: Playground of the Faceless
Episode 34: Omens in Red
Episode 35: Atonement for the Aftermath
Episode 36: Rallying the Bold
Episode 37: Strength of the Circle
Episode 38: To Sail at Her Whim
Episode 39 (Part 1) Tidings of Discomfort and a Ploy
Episode 39 (Part 2) Tidings of Discomfort and a Ploy
Episode 39 (Part 3) Tidings of Discomfort and a Ploy
Episode 39 (Part 4) Tidings of Discomfort and a Ploy
Episode 39 (Part 5) Tidings of Discomfort and a Ploy
Episode 39 (Part 6) Tidings of Discomfort and a Ploy
Episode 39 (Part 7) Tidings of Discomfort and a Ploy
Episode 39 (Part 8) Tidings of Discomfort and a Ploy
Episode 39 (Part 9) Tidings of Discomfort and a Ploy
Episode 39 (Part 10) Tidings of Discomfort and a Ploy
Episode 40: Chance and Consequence
Episode 41: A Stange and Treacherous Game

Episode 27: To Lie in Wait

256 28 7
By Holly_Gonzalez

My prestige within The Order escalated overnight. I become a celebrity, the youngest seer ever initiated, and part of an elite few gifted with the Sight. Inquiries poured in the next morning, asking if I might attend various gatherings across the worlds and serve as an Oracle. Mother politely reminded everyone I'd be returning to school soon, and was thus unavailable.

I found the new attention flattering. Though I was inexperienced, I looked forward to taking part in the Knoseidtru ceremonies someday.

After breakfast, Mother and I chatted in the conservatory.

"Did you find any new allies during your sojourn?" she asked, feeding a biscuit to Juno.

The bird swallowed her treat whole, then hopped onto my shoulder. "I see!"

I stroked Juno's sleek black wing. "It was difficult to determine the possible from the actual while I was there. But I did encounter someone."

"Who was it?"

"Grandfather Kraelis."

"What?" She seized my hand, startling Juno to a nearby tree limb. "Are you certain?"

"It could only have been him."

"Describe him," she said, her voice quavering.

"He was about your height, with long silver hair in a topknot, and a big mustache, eyes the same color as ours. His clothes were primitive, a leather kilt and a seer's bone mantle. And he had a lot more tattoos than you--animals and runes all over his body, including his face."

"I can scarcely believe it." She bowed her head, contemplating. "I've called to his spirit, and invoked the ancestors for any sign that he's near. But he's remained silent all these years. What did he say to you?"

I related all I'd experienced during my journey.

When I finished, she closed her eyes in profound relief. "Praise the Guardians. He still lingers with us. I hear you, dearest Olfar. I haven't forgotten you, or the Old Ways. And I won't rest until they suffer." She used the Pruessian term of endearment for 'Grandpa', a touching sentiment.

"What happened to him?" I asked. "I want to know the truth."

"It's a dangerous truth."

"Please, tell me. I'll help you."

"They killed him." Her voice fell to a whisper, and her eyes welled with tears. "Our kind, wise Olfar."

"What?" My blood froze. "Who killed him? The Order?"

She nodded, her fingers a vise around my arm. "Don't speak of it aloud. When the time comes to act, I'll tell you everything."

"How do you know they did it?"

Tears washed pallid lines through her makeup. "Because I watched it happen."

Father strolled in, distracting us. He saw Mother's distress and rushed to her side. "What's wrong, dear? Are you unwell?"

She collected herself. "I'm fine. These are joyous tears."

"Well, then." Father checked the time on his wristcom. "Are you sure you want to come to the office today, son? I'd much rather you enjoy your time together."

Mother kissed my cheek. "Please go, my darling. I know you like to clear your mind with work."

I frowned. "Mother--"

"No, no, I insist," she said. "We'll have plenty more time to visit, before you return to Chamberlayne." Her expression cajoled me with a warning.

I knew she wouldn't tell me more about Grandfather Kraelis's death, so I returned to my room to dress.

Father was in a pensive mood during the commute.

"Is everything alright?" I asked.

He adjusted his collar and tie in the pale reflection of the sedan's window. "There's news of a joint venture between Lovejoy-Prynne and Ayala Incorporated, as of this morning."

"Oh? What are they uniting over?"

"The recent prospects in the Belt present immense profits, as you know. To those who get there first, and lay proper claims."

I straightened my posture. "But the two have been opposed for decades. Didn't Raleigh Lovejoy threaten to indict Ayala just weeks ago over a claim dispute?

"He appears to have set aside his enmity," Father said. "I believe the grand motivation is they'll corner the market. It may be the sign of a greater alliance between them in the future. Who knows?"

"You can't believe they'll seek a merger."

He cast me an amused glance. "With the War escalating, and the promise of lucrative defense contracts on Earth, I'm surprised they haven't undertaken such a move sooner."

I knew what a merger between our rivals meant. Our competition could then undermine smaller family-owned companies. The ability to sway votes within the trade commission was surely something Raleigh Lovejoy wanted. Such influence might even affect the sanctions against the Kaezer. The question remained--which side did Mr. Lovejoy fall on? Was he neutral, as he professed to be for the sake of his investors? Or did he view the Pruessian Empire as a potential revenue machine, like so many others did?

The business news was disconcerting, but this wasn't what troubled me. If The Order had murdered my great-grandfather, and Mother watched them do it, why hadn't she confronted the killers? Moreso, who exactly had done it, and why? I wondered if Uncle Holten knew, or any of the current members of the Inner Quorum. For now, it was best to lie in wait. I wanted to be part of Mother's vendetta.

The Rite had awakened much in me. My power was alive, both without and within the Otherworld. It flowed with every twitch of my perception, every focusing of my will. I had yet to use it on an unsuspecting person. But I knew I could, anytime I chose to. I'd meant to ask Mother about its potential before our conversation turned dire.

Father attended several meetings that afternoon, and I saw little of him until we returned home.

For the remainder of the week, Mother and I continued our nightly rituals. She still refused to discuss Grandfather Kraelis's demise. Instead, she taught me more about my abilities.

"Fenvolvna instills charms and tricks all her own," she said, as we knelt together beside our altar one evening. "One of these is persuasion. A hunter must know his prey, and subdue it quickly. As well, he must defend his standing within the pack. Cultivating devotion involves more than fangs and talons. Ultimately, a leader must be clever, knowing when a kind word and smile are more effective than ruthless action."

I offered her the goblet of consecrated wine in formal exchange. "I've realized this already."

She sipped the sweet vintage with satisfaction. "Excellent. Such skills will be useful in the future. Our enemies must remain ignorant, until everything caves upon them."

"Is this the nature of your plot?"

Her laughter resembled the chortled caw of a raven, a creature enchanted by its own wiles. "In some ways, yes. Much is perfectly apparent. Yet much more relies on the whims of fate."

"Now you sound like Grandfather Kraelis."

"Does it surprise you? Olfar understood the precarious edge we dance upon as seers, the madness we flirt with every time Asulma swims into our veins. To endure, we must embrace the trickster inside of us."

"So I've noticed."

She smiled. "You'll be one of the greatest seers ever known. I've seen it in my visions."

I'd learned not to ask too many questions during our rituals. It was time to purify myself, to still the capricious wanderings of my mind through chant and rhythmic breathing. Within minutes, my Sight carried me to the borders of the Otherworld, without ingesting a single drop of the elixir.

"Very good," Mother said. "Asulma is an ally, not a crutch, though many in The Order don't realize it. A true seer never relies upon the elixir to access the realms beyond. We must be adaptable, ready to use the fullness of our knowledge at a moment's notice."

I applied myself enthusiastically to the traditional dances and songs she presented. My Sight was no longer a lurking menace, waiting to overpower me. It was a talent I could harness while retaining my composure in physical reality.

Two days before I returned to school, I reclined beside the swimming pool, conversing with Gerald via wristcom.

"Have you missed dear old Chamberlayne at all?" he asked, his grin charming as always over the hologram.

"Admittedly, I have. It's been marvelous with my family, but there are many diversions I've longed for."

He snickered. "Diversions? You talk as if you've got a beautiful girl waiting for you."

I concealed my paramour with a darting grin. "It would certainly be pleasant if I did. At any rate, how is Alys faring?"

"Oh, I haven't told you. We aren't dating anymore."

"That's unfortunate. What happened?"

"She met someone else over interim, and says she wants to see other people."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"It is what it is." He yawned. "My motto is, never mourn a pretty face. There's always another one right around the corner."

I shook my head. "You'll never change, will you?"

His laughter was playful. "Never. You should know that by now."

Castor entered the swimming pavilion, with a small parcel in his hands.

I ended my call, and sat up to greet him.

"This just arrived for you," Castor said, handing the package to me. "It's from Uncle Holten."

I shook the item a bit. The contents rattled. Without a doubt, Holten Jaster's name adorned the return label, the address denoting his office on Tri-Jovian.

"I was going to tell Mama, but I thought you'd want to," he said.

"Right. Thanks, pipsqueak."

Mother strolled in soon after. "Castor, what did the courier bring just now?" Her eyes fell upon the package in my hands. "Something for Silas?"

I nodded. "From your own dear brother."

"Let me see it this instant." Her heels clicked in assertive cadence across the tiles, and she grabbed the object from me to inspect.

"I can't imagine what he'd send me."

She stood behind my chair, tapping her long fingernails against the enameled frame. "I have an idea. Please open it."

Peeling away the brown paper and twine, I uncovered a wooden curio box. Etchings and bone inlays decorated the surface. A carved wolf and a human hunter swirled along the top, accented with polished stones. Inside the box lay a folded note, and a worn leather bag. I read the note first.

"My dear Octavia: I know you'll intercept this parcel before your son receives it, or you'll witness the contents soon enough. Hence, this letter is for both of you. However, the Runknostar belong to Silas alone. Congratulations on your Rite of Passage, dear nephew. Olfar would want you to have these. May the Guardians abide, Holten Jaster."

Mother gasped.

I opened the bag, and poured the contents into my palm. Several small bones spilled out, appearing to be finger or toe segments. I couldn't discern if they were human or animal at first glance. Each was carved with a distinct Pruessian rune.

"What are they?" Castor asked.

We looked at her for an explanation.

"They're oracle bones." She swallowed noticeably. "The Runknostar of the Jaster family."

Castor tapped her shoulder. "What are they for?"

She locked eyes with me, though she answered my brother. "For those who know how to listen, they sing."

I returned the bones to their bag. "I suppose I should stow them in a safe place."

Mother was preoccupied, scanning the letter.

"I don't understand all of your bone stuff," Castor said with a sigh.

"It's alright, my darling. If it doesn't call to you, then it's not for you." Mother stroked his brown locks.

Later, I placed the bones into the same box as Duke and my athame.

Mother appeared at my bedroom door, the muted lamp on my nightstand flickering as she approached.

"How do you suppose your uncle knew about your Rite, without either of us telling him?" Her eyes shone in the pale mask of her face.

"I don't know. He left The Order years ago, didn't he?"

She paced, hips swaying. "After Lady Blevasnya died, he deserted, and took our family's Runknostar, refusing to let me have them. He obviously has connections within the Circles, else he wouldn't have known of your Rite so soon."

"It's not surprising that he'd keep a few informants. Wouldn't you do the same?"

"Naturally. But there are questions we need to ask him."

"This is unexpected. You told me to stay away from him."

"Despite all his deplorable facets, he holds an important perspective. And now that you've matured into your power, it's time you use it."

"You want me to influence Uncle Holten?"

She threw back her head, her laughter haughty. "My sweet son, I adore your frankness."

We studied each other. Thoughts were swift since I'd learned to communicate without speaking in the Otherworld. The ability came naturally between Mother and I. I didn't hear her voice, as I did in spirit. Rather, it was a heightened awareness, fostered by familiarity and foresight.

I assented with a sharp inhale.

She acknowledged with a lift of her brows, a slight parting of her lips.

"We'll visit you at Chamberlayne within a few weeks." She stroked my cheek. "If I must force him to come, I will."

The morning of my departure arrived quickly. Father and I said our farewells on the terrace. He would accompany me to Earth this time, to attend a business meeting in Michigattan. Rumors were still rampant of a possible merger on the Lovejoy-Prynne front. As a result, the smaller companies had called an emergency conference, with the backing of the trade commission.

On a more personal side, I knew Father wanted no surprise interference from Uncle Holten.

Mother kissed me. "We'll be in touch. Listen for my call."

"Of course. I look forward to it."

It was relieving to hug Castor. My little brother held no deviations, and his only sorrow was for my departure.

"I'll miss you, Silas." His arms tightened around me.

I now sensed emotions when they were pure, another unexpected ability. It was strongest when I touched someone physically. I wondered how many other talents would manifest, after I'd been transformed within the deepest pits of the Otherworld.

We met Gerald and Mr. Forsyth at the orbital platform, and boarded my family's private shuttle for the homeworld. I relished lounging in my own luxury seat, my feet propped up, and any beverage or refreshment I wanted served in minutes. Uninterrupted Net access of the highest quality was another perk. I could endure the more pedestrian methods of travel when necessary, but I always preferred first class.

Gerald and I said goodbye to our fathers when we landed at the space port outside Michigattan. A chartered limousine then transported us to our academic abode.

I returned to campus a changed person. In just three weeks, I'd experienced more than my friends could comprehend. I cherished their companionship, but things which once amused me now seemed trivial. The knowledge that Grandfather Kraelis had been murdered by his own followers gnawed at my soul constantly. I had several questions for Uncle Holten when we next met, and more than enough to ask Mother while in his presence.

The reunion I longed for most arrived when Tamsin messaged me. Her choice of time and location were obvious.

"T: Meet me tomorrow, at De Haviland's back. Five minute fiasco."

It turned into a ten minute session of sighs, fervent whisperings, our hands and mouths partaking of each other as if we'd been apart for years. We were nearly late to class, startled only by the bells of the clock tower.

"I can't bear to leave you," she said.

I brushed her lips with mine. "We'll have to continue later. I've a surprise for you, when we have time."

The thought must have intrigued her, as she arranged for us to meet that very night on the roof of Knights Hall.

"So, what's this surprise you mentioned?" she said, bristling with mischief.

"Close your eyes."

She obeyed, her smile amused.

While she wasn't looking, I reached into my pocket and pulled out the pendant I'd brought for her. I clasped it around her neck.

When she beheld the necklace, glinting in the fragmented shadows, her jaw dropped.

"It's a piece of your star," I said. "Igneous rock from Venus--"

She threw her arms around my neck, interrupting me with another kiss.

I assumed she was happy with the gift.

Minutes passed like hours. She stood with her back to the wall, darkness engulfing us in its sanctuary. I leaned against her, and we became a pillar with two drumming hearts. Buttons and seams were pushed aside. I slowly lowered her silken camisole down her shoulders and marveled at the sight of her exquisite bare breasts. The necklace sparkled like its namesake between them. Emboldened by her smile, I reached beneath the pleated wool folds of her skirt.

"Hey, when did you get so forward?" She giggled. "I'm the bad influence between us."

"I owe you a favor." I grinned and nibbled her lower lip. Gently, hesitantly, I slid my fingers into her undergarments and between her legs. "Let me indulge you. You won't regret it."

She gave me a playful slap on the arm. "You wicked thing. That's what I told you...oh. That feels so--" She gasped and flung her head back.

I smothered her exposed neck with kisses and delved into her soft warmth, exploring the irresistible mystery of her. "Tell me how you like it." I said, my voice trembling. I'd never imagined girls could be so wet.

"Silas..." My name stole from her lips like a dream she couldn't wake from. One of her legs curled around mine, opening her further, and she clung to me. Her eager hips pressed gainst me. "There. That little spot." Desire smoldered in her heavy-lidded eyes, parted lips blushing. She unbuttoned my shirt and ran her hands across my chest and abdomen, sending tremors through me. Her fingers pulled and teased at my fly. "You can play too, you know," she whispered, and my restraint shattered.

I hurried to unfasten my trousers. Her caresses brushed over me at first, then fell into a steady rhythm. I wanted to rip her clothing out of my way and take her against the wall, but I knew the risks. Forcing myself to stay half a gentleman, I surrendered instead to her touch. I fondled and kissed her breasts, crazy for the taste of her. Every part of her seemed electric, flooding my mind and senses. A sweet scent lingered on her skin--bashful tea rose perfume mixed with her sweat.

"You smell so good. I want you." Instinct urged me toward her depths, a kind of madness I both feared and hungered for.

I couldn't get enough. I pressed against her thigh, edging dangerously close to the forbidden. It took all of my strength to hold back, though my lust assailed the fragile satin boundary of her undergarments. The friction was enough, and pleasure broke like a flooded dam. I stifled a cry as oblivion convulsed through me and surged forth. Waves of release raked along every nerve, enhanced by the clawing of Tamsin's nails on my chest. Her own climax rippled around my fingers, and she tossed and moaned in my arms. We both collapsed against the wall. She snuggled into me, and I kissed her forehead, stroking her cheeks with my thumbs.

"That was incredible," she said. "I've waited for the right person to try these things with, and I'm so glad it's you."

I studied her beautiful face, amazed that she was truly mine, that she wanted me as much as I wanted her. "I'm...honored to be your plaything, if that's what you mean." I was about to ask if she was willing to try going all the way, but I was too embarrassed to bring it up. In time, the subject would likely arise. Our relationship was still so new, and I didn't want to push it too far yet. Doing so might drive her away from me, and I swore to never let that happen.

She laughed and pulled her camisole and blouse back on, then she kissed me, her lips like velvet petals against mine. "We never have enough time together. But all the time we do get is like the most beautiful dream."

"I entirely agree. Though I've made quite a mess of you this time, I'm afraid. I hope you have that extra handkerchief with you."

"Silly boy. Of course I do. Here, I'll clean us up."

Once we were settled, she grasped my hand. "Hold me," she said, laying her head on my shoulder. "I always feel safe when you're close to me."

I obliged her with a firm embrace, and we sat curled next to each other on the ledge.

She admired the Venus pendant in a slender palm, tilting it in the moonlight. "You're so sweet. Before I got to know you, I thought all colonial boys were snobs." 

"Most of us are. Princes of the floating glass boxes--wasn't that what you called us?"

We laughed as her star rose higher into the night sky. Sometimes the truth was so damned funny.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Wolf Bite || BL By Nic

Mystery / Thriller

1K 140 95
Monday, August 1 Dear Isaac, if you're reading this, that means you've turned eighteen. Congratulations, I'm so proud of you. I hope you had a great...
43 0 23
DREAMS are the realm of both good and evil. Always vigilant, the dreamer weaves in and out of reality like a snake slithering between the leaves and...
916K 36.2K 141
Two girls. Two secrets. Only one can survive. Years before Nelle Wychthorn plans her escape, Tabitha Catt may unearth something in a Horned God's lai...
393K 12K 51
UNEDITED/poorly written when I was younger (needs severe editing) "Becky, I'm scared! Someone's following me and I don't think I can make it home! Pl...