Mother Nature Built a Coffin...

By BlackInkRonin

Anthony Grey is thrilled about his new home...thrilled about everything except for the weeds. The more he cut... More

Mother Nature Built a Coffin (A Short Story)

378 14 8
By BlackInkRonin

It's dark; Too dark to be daytime but too early to be nighttime.

Let me start from the beginning. My name is Anthony Grey. I'm just a normal guy with a normal job. I recently saved up enough money to move to a new town. It's closer to my job and the whole area was just built.

 A new house. Who would have ever imagined? It's been a few weeks since I moved into my new home. Only me and my cat, Horus. I know you're probably thinking, 'What kind of single guy gets a cat?' Well, Horus was my ex girlfriend's cat. She didn't want him anymore because he triggered her allergies, but she didn't just want to abandon him. So, he's been with me ever since.

Anyway, I'll start with day one. I pulled into the driveway of my new home with a grin. The living room was spacious and had multiple windows to look out onto the porch. The first few days consisted of getting my internet and cable set up, and I hardly had any time to explore the property.

It was Wednesday of the first week when I noticed it.

It wasn't too drastic, but I took note of it. The weeds. They were everywhere. I hadn't noticed it when I looked at the house the first few times. The backyard was plagued with weeds and overgrown shrubs. There was a tall willow tree in the center of the yard that gave it an ominous glow; Like a centerpiece adorning a dinner table after a funeral.

I looked out my back door for awhile. That tree seemed to grab my attention, screaming to be my point of interest. I immediately called the landscaping company and asked if they could clean up my yard. They told me tomorrow morning and I breathed a sigh of relief.

The yard made me uneasy.

Not the property itself. Just the fact that I hadn't noticed all those weeds before. It was strange to not notice something so apparent.

The next morning I awoke to the sound of lawnmowers and edgers. I smiled and stretched. Horus was in his usual spot at the edge of my bed, curled into a ball. I pulled down the covers and swung my feet over the side of the bed. I dropped my boxers and pulled off my white t-shirt as I made my way to the shower. I took a hot shower and dressed appropriately for work. Before I left, I looked out into the backyard; Neat and tidy, just the way I liked it. The whole yard had been trimmed to perfection. I smiled before paying the man and heading to work. 

I made it to work in about 30 minutes, rather than 45. I felt refreshed. Knowing I'd be leaving work to a new home and clean property made me feel a twinge of pride.

 I stopped off at a convenience store on my way home to grab a case of beers. I stowed them in my car and drove toward my home at a relaxed speed.

I waved to my new neighbors who moved up the block from me. They waved back and smiled accordingly;  A young, blond haired woman and her husband. I made a mental note to introduce myself as I continued home. As I focused on the road ahead, my mood changed immediately; thick, tangled weeds sprouted up from the yard.

The front yard.

"What the hell?"

I turned into my driveway, slightly irritated. I had seen the landscapers cut my grass and even edge the driveway and shrubs. I exited my car and shoved the key into my front door. Vines were growing around the sides of my porch, inching their way toward my new home. I scoffed and pushed the door open. Horus scampered by me and bolted into the street.

"Shit. Horus!"

I jogged after the stupid cat and scooped him up.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I asked the cat as if he would answer me.

I made it back up my driveway and into the house. I shut the door behind me and placed Horus down. He immediately began crying and scratching at my front door. I shook my head and walked into my dining room. There was a clear view of the backyard from my dining room, and I stared outside the back door in horror.

Weeds. Everywhere.

There were vines and grass and weeds everywhere. I put my hand on my head and breathed out heavily, like a bull about to charge. I looked out into the tall grasses and tapped at the glass door between me and the deck. I squinted my eyes and for a moment, thought I saw someone out in the grass looking back at me.

Foolishness.

I locked both my screen and glass door just in case. That same evening I called the landscaping company and told them what happened. I didn't know what else to do. They said they had no idea how that could happen, but they would send a few guys over tomorrow morning to check it out. If it was overgrown, they'd do it over again for free. I was relieved that I wouldn't have to pay for the job to be done a second time, but uneasy about one fact.

The weeds seemed twice as tall as yesterday.

That night, I locked all of my doors and windows. I kept thinking about how Horus bolted out of the house and the weeds and that person I had seen in my backyard. Well, the person I thought I had seen. I didn't sleep very well that night. The shadows from the trees outside moved strangely around the room. I couldn't help but think I heard the sound of something pushing, moving through tall grass.

The next morning, I awoke to the sound of lawnmowers and edgers once again. I sighed and sat up, relieved that the yard would be clean. I left for work, not concerning myself with paying the landscapers. I made sure to watch them cut the grass a bit this time.

Work dragged on. All I could think about was those damn weeds. Suddenly, my cell phone buzzed in my pocket. I ducked down in my cubicle. It was the landscaping company. Maybe calling to say they were finished? I was horribly wrong.

"Hello?"

"Yes, is this Mr. Grey?"

"Speaking, who is this?"

"This is Jeff, from Hillside Landscaping."

"Yeah, is everything alright?"

His tone of voice made me uneasy and I shifted in my rolling chair.

"Um, it's about your cat, sir."

"What about my cat?" Something turned in the pit of my stomach.

"Your cat is dead Mr. Grey."

I stopped breathing for a moment.

"H-How did he die?"

"I think you should come see this, sir."

"Right, I'll be there in a few."

I hung up the phone and adjusted my tie. I told my boss what happened and he let me go early. I drove exceptionally slow. I feared what I would find. I thought one of the men may have run over Horus with a mower or caught him with an edger. The thought nauseated me.

I cringed as I passed my neighbor's home. Tall, overgrown weeds adorned their front yard. I turned into my driveway, to see the grass trimmed neatly. That relieved some of  my stress, but it soon welled back up as I exited my vehicle.

"Mr. Grey." One of the men came up to me. "Your cat-"

"I heard." I said sullenly. "Where is he? What happened?"

The man didn't speak, he just motioned for me to follow him into the backyard. I walked around the side of the house, staring at the vines and weeds that forced their way between the dividing fence. We walked until he stopped abruptly, motioning for me to look down. I stood at the foot of that Willow tree. There was Horus, brutally strangled and tangled up in...vines?! They wrapped around his small body, his black and white striped fur and skin protruding between where the vines wrapped around him. His eyes were wide open, as if he had tried to cry out before being crushed.

I turned away. I had to find out what the hell was going on. I nodded to the man and scooped up Horus' body. I untangled it and wrapped him up in my shirt. I stood in my backyard with only a white T-shirt and business slacks and shoes. I would be lying if I said I didn't cry all the way to my ex girlfriend's house. She had a tradition of burying all of her dead animals in the backyard. I thought it was creepy, but respected her tradition. After knocking on the door a few times, I came to the conclusion that no one was home. I went back to my car and sat in it for awhile, before driving back to my house. It took about a half hour to get home. As I turned onto my block, I could see the new couple's front yard was engorged with weeds.

I swallowed hard and turned into my driveway. My front yard was once again looming with weeds and tangled in vines. I scooped up Horus and took him to the backyard. I rummaged through my things until I found a shovel. I began to dig near where he died until I thought it was deep enough for a cat's final resting place. I laid his mangled body gently into the hole and covered it quickly. The weeds were lurking, almost as if to join me in mourning. I walked speedily to the front of my house, tossing the shovel aside.

I burst through the door and slammed it shut behind me. He may have only been a cat, but Horus had been my only company.

I didn't call the landscaping company. I just sat and watched television like nothing had happened. I swore the vines that began to curl along my windows watched me as I tried to relax. This ridiculousness went on for another two weeks. Every other day I would call the landscaping company, and the morning after, the weeds would grow back with even more intensity.

. . . . . . . . . .

It's Friday of the third week and I'm a broken man. I tried to take a shower earlier, but the water wasn't coming through the shower head. I tried adjusting it, but felt a tickle on my toes. There, at my feet, were the same vines that had been taking over my property. MY PROPERTY!

I flew out of the bathroom and rushed into some clean clothes. I couldn't breathe. This wasn't happening. It was unnatural. I rushed to my phone and dialed the number of the realtor who had sold me this place.

"Hello, You've reached the office of Mr. Rennor. This is Ashley speaking."

"Hi, Mr. Rennor...he's not available is he?"

"Oh, you haven't heard?"

"Heard what?"

"Mr. Rennor is out due to legal issues."

I tried getting her to spill out more useful information, but she was stubborn. I hung up, and began to pace. I stormed into my dining room and flipped open my laptop. I searched Mr. Rennor's office and found an article with last week's date.

Rennor Realty is currently under investigation, as it has become known that Mr. James Rennor has sold homes on restricted property. Specifically, property owned by the local Reservation. Some homes have come up on ancient burial grounds, sacred to the culture and preservation of the Native American Community. Rennor owns several other companies and businesses such as I.G. Construction and Hillside Landscaping, which are also under investigation.

My stomach turned. I pinched the bridge of my nose and rubbed my temples after letting out a long sigh. I had to start looking for a new home. I turned toward the large glass door to look out on that great willow tree.

There was something looking back at me.

I stared for a moment at the un-moving figure. I let out a cry as I dashed for my bedroom. I closed the door behind me and locked it, afraid that this creature would enter my home and strangle me in the same manner as poor Horus.

. . . . . . . 

I can hear the tapping of tree branches on my bedroom window.

I have no trees in my yard. Only across the street.

It's also become quite a chore to breathe...

I've crawled onto my bed now, and breathing has become a laborious task...  The clock says it's only 4:00, but my room is pitch black. I'm looking out of the window now. It's dark. Too dark to be daytime. Too early to be nighttime. But I know what it is. I can hear them crawl along the grass like sinister serpents.

The vines.

There's that tapping again. I continue to choke. I'm losing air quickly and know I don't have much time. I'm too weak to do little more than type... The lack of air... sitting up is...impossible. My phone...I left it in the other room.

Wait, something is-

The glass door that looked out onto the backyard shattered. It sounded like someone had slammed into it with a steel bat. An eerie moment of silence passed, and then the jiggling of the bedroom doorknob broke the silence.

Anthony tried to cry out, but something blocked his throat. He saw it, though. The creature that looked like a man. He stood over Anthony for a moment. Then he opened his mouth. Vines slithered from it like vile worms, and the world went black for Anthony Grey.

It took almost 2 days for police to get inside Anthony Grey's home. It was cocooned so thick in vines and weeds, and was a sight so unnatural, the authorities weren't exactly sure what they were dealing with. The police found no blood, or any suspicious signs of murder. The glass door to the backyard was shattered, but other than that, there were no signs that anyone had been there.

Anthony Grey's body was found sprawled out on his bed. His mouth gaped open, with a long vine stretching from what seemed to be the pit of his stomach. It hung from his mouth. He lay there on his bed, cold and dead, with a small black and white striped cat, curled up at his feet.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4M 195K 101
✅ "We always long for the forbidden things." 𝐝𝐲𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐩𝐢𝐚𝐧 𝐧𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐥 ↯ ⚔︎ ʙᴏᴏᴋ ᴏɴᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛᴡᴏ ᴄᴏᴍʙɪɴᴇᴅ ⚔︎ ...
3.3K 133 42
We all know how the story goes... A group of 6 highschool students on a fieldtrip that led to a disaster... Which also led them to cross realms betwe...
187K 2.7K 33
The MHA universe is in for a real shock when they find out about a universe that has real God's, Monster's and that a Foundation of quirkless people...
16.1K 344 18
"𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐛𝐛𝐞𝐫!" 𝗌𝖺𝗆 𝗒𝖾𝗅𝗅𝖾𝖽 𝖺𝗌 𝗌𝗁𝖾 𝗅𝗈𝗈𝗄𝖾𝖽 𝖺𝗍 𝖾𝗍𝗁𝖺𝗇 and y/n. "𝐰𝐡𝐲?" Tara asked as she cried. " 𝐰𝐞 𝐚𝐥...