That Wasn't Supposed To Happen

By xFakingaSmilex

Charlie Landon had her future worked out until her mother died in a freak shark attack. Her father uproots th... More

▸ AUTHORS NOTE & PLAYLIST
▸ TRYOUTS
▸ CHEER SPIRIT
▸ PERCY'S PARTY
▸ FLOAT
▸ REST
▸ REVENGE
▸ BROKEN FLOAT
▸ PROPOSALS
▸ THOUGHTS
▸ HOMECOMING
▸ WOODWORK
▸ DETENTION
▸ WEEKEND ADVENTURES
▸HEARTBREAK
▸ NOAH'S APARTMENT
▸ LIFE
▸ PROGRESS
▸THE LOCK IN
▸DINNER
▸FEELINGS
▸PUMPKIN CARVING
▸BUBBLE TROUBLE
▸HUNGOVER
▸DETECTIVE PERCY
▸LEAVING PARTY
▸HOME
▸OCEAN AIR
▸NEW ADVENTURES
▸STARS
▸EXPLORATIONS
▸LAST INTRODUCTION
▸DANCE COMMITTEE
▸FRIENDS
▸OUR FUTURE
▸CHANCE OF SNOW
▸ROSES
▸SURPRISES
▸MIXED FEELINGS
▸MISS YOU
▸THE WEEKEND
▸CHRISTMAS EVE
▸CHRISTMAS DINNER
▸DANCE CLASS
▸BLURRED NIGHTS
▸TROUBLE
▸SURPRISE
▸NEW FRIENDS
▸GOODBYE
▸JEALOUSY
▸DANCE PERFORMANCE
▸PUB
▸WAVES
▸FUTURE
▸PLANS
▸DINNER
▸PROJECTS
▸CRUSHES
▸DATES
▸LIGHT BULBS
▸THE FOOLED
▸DISCOVERIES
▸WORRIES
▸LETTERS
▸RESULTS
▸MEETINGS
▸GRADUATION
▸APARTMENTS
▸MEMORIES
▸BOXES
▸FEEDBACK SHEET
▸SECOND CHANCES
▸MISSING YOU
▸CONCERT
▸HOME
▸OLD FRIENDS
▸ YES
▸PROPOSAL
▸MARRY ME
▸VOWS
▸HONEYMOON
▸MRS. EAST
▸ENCOUNTERS
▸MOVING ON
▸CATCH UPS
▸NEW ADVENTURES
▸FAMILY
▸ANNOUNCEMENTS
▸LITTLE HUMAN
▸VISIT
▸SKIP
▸SURPRISES
▸[PART SIXTEEN] MISTLETOE
▸[PART SEVENTEEN] HOLIDAY
▸[PART EIGHTEEN] HOUSE
▸[PART NINETEEN] BABY
▸[PART TWENTY] COLLEGE
▸[PART TWENTY-ONE] BON VOYAGE
▸[PART TWENTY-TWO] BIRTHDAY
▸[PART TWENTY-THREE] AUSTRALIA [SPIN-OFF NOW POSTED]
⋆ Other Stories You Might Enjoy ⋆

▸ VARSITY JACKETS

207K 5.1K 2K
By xFakingaSmilex

VARSITY JACKETS

Tuesday the 5th of September

For the fourth time today, I'm forced to stand in front of the class with a seemingly bright smile. I can't believe they still make people do this. I take a deep breath before introducing myself to faces I'm beginning to recognise.

"Hi there." I wave. "I'm Charlie Landon. I recently moved from the Gold Coast. I love surfing, reading, and cooking."

I glance at the teacher and she smiles, so I hurry to my desk and sink in the chair. The teacher takes my place with a warm and eager grin.

It's the first genuine smile I've seen all day. The administration lady was grumpy, most likely stressed from the first day of school, and then our math teacher seemed to hate life, even more, when I told him how beautiful the beaches are.

I can relate to that feeling, as it was only last week that I stood on the beach covered in sand and sea salt. Now I'm in a classroom halfway across the world filled with weird customs I think I'll never understand.

"We'll be learning the basics of photography so that we can cover school events."

The woman holds a camera and explains how it works. My mind wanders to the beach. I miss sand under my toes, the smell of salt water and the sun on my cheeks.

I'd do anything to catch a wave or two.

When Dad mentioned moving to America, I begged for somewhere on the coast, but no, he wanted to return to his hometown in the middle of freaking nowhere.

When the school bell rings, I realise I've spent the whole lesson daydreaming.

I collect my things and wander to the cafeteria, which is different. I'm not hungry, so I bypass the line and head outside where it's quiet.

I take a seat at the empty picnic table and laugh at the students scrambling to find seats inside. The sun heats me cheeks, and if I close my eyes, I could pretend I'm standing on the beach.

That illusion is shattered by someone yelling.

"Hey you, yes you," a boy calls as he races over. "This table is reserved for the football team!"

"Oh, I'm so sorry." I scramble to my feet. "I'm new here."

As I grab my bag, another student shoves the first boy out of the way. He topples to the ground and shoots them a glare.

"Don't listen to that idiot." He sighs. "You're the new chick, the one from Australia?"

"Uh." I look at the guy on the floor, then back at him. "Yes, that's me, I'm Charlie."

"Is Charlie a nickname for Charlotte?"

"No, just Charlie."

"Oh, hm!" He sighs. "I'm Percy and that's George, he's a little entitled."

"I am not!" George grumbles.

"Okay." Percy laughs. "He's very entitled."

"I'm sorry for disturbing lunch, I should um, go somewhere else."

Percy frowns and shakes his head.

"Stay and tell me about Australia. I want to know more about that place."

"Cheers." I take a seat with George and Percy sitting across from me.

They're both wearing varsity jackets, except George is leaner than Percy's wide muscular frame. I wonder about George's position given he isn't muscular. Perhaps something small if he's quailing over a table.

"It's amazing, you should go one day. I used to live by the beach so we'd go there all the time to hang out or watch the sunset."

"That sounds rippa, is that how you say it?" Percy smiles.

"Yeah." I chuckle.

"Are you enjoying your time in America so far?"

"It's certainly interesting." I force a smile.

I wouldn't be a fish out of water if we just lived near the ocean.

"It can't be that bad." He gasps.

"Starting over is hard and there's pressure from my father to make things work. I keep wishing I was at home with my friends."

"We'll be your friends, right George." Percy elbows George and he groan.

George frowns, but he also nods.

"Well, thanks for the offer."

More people wearing varsity jackets and cheer uniforms wandered outside and gather around the table. A redhead with brown freckles joins me and a preppy girl, Jewels, from my English class, perches on Percy's lap. He forgets about me, Australia and focuses on her seemingly magical lips.

I hope someone yells for them to get a room, but nobody does. This better not be a regular occurrence. I scroll through social media and frown.

There's tons of pictures of them at the beach, our favourite café and hiking spot. There's also statuses about exam prep and how studying sucks.

If we'd stayed, this could be me, close to graduating from high school. Instead, I've just started the last year of high school. At the end-of-year eleven, I went to TAFE before packing everything up to move here in August for senior year.

Dad wanted to move a lot earlier, right after Mum died, but I begged him to let me enjoy some time with my friends before the big move. I couldn't uproot my life like he could, I had everything there, a whole life and a future just waiting for me to take it.

In that time, I hoped he'd miraculously change his mind, but that obviously didn't happen. He was determined to put as much distance between Australia and himself, while I would do anything to be back.

When the bell rings, Jewels untangles herself and a long string of saliva connects the pair. She whispers something before bounding away. From the smile on Percy's face, I'm glad I couldn't hear it.

People wander away while I retrieve the school map. With the endless hallways, grey lockers and tons of doors, its borderline magical how anyone finds their way around.

Percy rips the map from my hands and inspects it. After a second, he passes it back with a goofy grin.

"What's your next class?"

"Uh, woodwork."

"I'm surprised but excited because I have that class as well."

"Darn, that doesn't sound good." I laugh.

"What, the fact we're sharing a class?" He gasps.

"No, that I'll be the only female." I sigh.

I shove the map into my bag and follow Percy around the school. Towards the back of the building, there's a small workshop detached which has 'woodwork' written across the wall.

I'm confronted by the strong scent of sawdust, but I'm surprised by how spacious the classroom is. There's an attached storage room and office. The office has a long rectangle window with plastic blinds, which vaguely hide someone inside it.

There's a bang, a grumble of cursive words, then the teacher appears.

Someone tall and muscular appears which has me smiling from ear to ear. He's young, fit and mouth-watering attractive.

Okay, woodwork was the perfect decision.

He grabs a clipboard and intensely looks at it.

"There should be a new kid in our class, uh, Charlie, are you here?"

"Yes," I call out.

He looks up and smiles. "Is Charlie short for anything?"

"No."

The boys laugh, some look at me weirdly, but I ignore their gazes.

"I bet you're annoyed at this, but come and introduce yourself."

"I think I'm perfecting this." I laugh. "I'm Charlie Landon, I moved from Australia. I enjoy reading, cooking, surfing and the beach."

"It's nice to meet you, Charlie." He smiles.

"I'm Noah East, but I prefer Noah, none of this Mr crap. I haven't been teaching long, but I love woodwork. I can't cook, I hate reading and I'd like to visit Australia."

If he keeps smiling at me, I think my heart might melt into a puddle.

"We're building cabinets. Grab a seat and I'll find the assignment sheets." He scratches the back of his head and wanders into the office.

Percy leads me to a work table that has a few other people on it.

One side of the room has the equipment, while the other has workbenches.

Noah hands worksheets to everyone but stops when he reaches me. He leans on the desk and grins a sexy smile that has me swooning.

Fuck, he's even more attractive closer up.

"How's your first day going?"

"I'm still alive," I joke.

"That's a good thing." He nods. "Did you take woodwork at your previous school?"

"Uh, a few years ago." I cough. "This was the only subject left."

"I'll help you settle in and get you up to speed. Since you don't have as much experience, I'll tailor the assignment for you."

"Thank you." I grin.

"What about me?" Percy butts in. "Can I have special treatment too?"

"Shut up, Percy, you can do the work."

Percy rolls his eyes.

"If there's anything you can't do or understand, just ask. Don't listen to Percy, he's an asshole."

I gasp, which makes them laugh.

"Noah, you're scaring Charlie." Percy wraps his arm around my shoulder. "Noah is my uncle, almost brothers, really. So, we tease each other all the time."

"I let him believe I'm joking." He winks.

"Fairo." I laugh.

"Fairo?" Percy questions.

"Oh, it means fair enough."

"Fairo," Percy repeats. "I like this word. What other words do you use?"

I spend the rest of class educating Percy on slang. Some people work, most run around the room smacking each other with loose pieces of wood. I assume it's all against the rules, but Noah says nothing.

At the end of class, I grab my things and wave goodbye to Percy. I trek back into the school and spend at least five minutes hunting for my locker. One wrong hallway and you might end up in Narnia.

By the time I collect my belongings, the parking lot is practically empty, including the bus I'm supposed to catch home.

"Hey, Charlie."

Percy leans across his car with a goofy grin.

"Hi, Percy." I wave.

"Do you need a ride home? The buses have already gone."

"Shoot! It took forever to re-locate my locker."

"Don't beat yourself up about it, first days are hard." He shrugs. "Since you need a lift, I'll be your driver. So hop in."

"Are you sure?" I bite my lip.

"Yes, get in."

"Cheers."

I give Percy directions and thankfully the drive isn't long, but it's quiet and slightly awkward.

He swings into the driveway and I jump out.

"Thank you for the lift."

"It's no bother."

"I'll see you tomorrow, bye." I wave.

He lingers in the driveway before chugging away. I drift inside the empty house and frown at the abundance of boxes.

"I guess there's no time like the present."

I drop my bag at the base of the stairs and open a box. If I do a couple now, it might make the things easier. The amount of boxes that need to be unpacked doesn't make the situation better. I want to move back, but I couldn't break my father's heart.

First impressions of the characters?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Got a secert By Charlie

Mystery / Thriller

1.1K 138 44
Got a secret, can you keep it? Swear, this one you'll save, better lock it in your pocket. Takin' this one to the grave. *** Adam lives in Rosewood...
12.3M 63.9K 10
Love comes in all shapes and forms, but Kelly Young had no idea it'd come in the form of her most hated teacher, Mr. Todd. •A Student x Teacher Roman...
16.5K 1.4K 40
After passing the prestigious Maddox Academy exams, Flick Grieves is shipped off to the middle of the country to attend her new school. With a social...
92 14 10
"i fell for her the moment i saw her. the way she spoke, walked, carried herself, i fell in love with all those traits. she might not feel the same w...