The Legacy - The Legacy Saga

By jewela

North Carolina native, Cisely Matthews has seen and suffered much in her twenty-two years of life, and she ha... More

The Legacy - Part 1
The Legacy - Part 2
The Legacy - Part 3
The Legacy - Part 4
The Legacy - Part 5
The Legacy - Part 6
The Legacy - Part 7
The Legacy - Part 8
The Legacy - Part 9
The Legacy - Part 10
The Legacy - Part 11
The Legacy - Part 12
The Legacy - Part 13
The Legacy - Part 14
The Legacy - Part 15
The Legacy - Part 17
The Legacy - Part 18
The Legacy - Part 19
The Legacy - Part 20
Legacy - Part 21
Legacy - Part 22
Legacy - Part 23
Legacy - Part 24
Legacy - Part 25
Legacy - Part 26
Legacy - Part 27
Legacy - Part 28
Legacy - Part 29

The Legacy - Part 16

99.8K 501 193
By jewela

  Sixty-five

By November, the weather turns cold and I find myself having to readjust to the frigid winter of North Carolina after being spoiled for years by the mildness of Italy. I miss our home in Treviso, and I long for our family to be whole again soon so we can go back. But I also accept that for now, this is home.

Thanksgiving is in a couple of weeks, but it is hard to get in the spirit of the holidays. We recognize all we have and are grateful, but without Phillip with us, the holidays just can't be the same and the sadness lingers.

Occasionally I look through the dresser drawers at Phillip's things, overwhelmed by his absence. Sometimes I stare at his photo and hug his clothes to me, trying to find comfort, desperately wanting to hold him in my arms. I long to feel his small arms around my neck and ache to have him give me one of his affectionate kisses that always brightens my day. Adagio sits with me during these times and we talk about our son and some of the things he does to make us laugh or smile. Though the ache is always there, having each other to lean on helps us cope with Phillip's absence.

With practice, I have become very good at being cheerful around Ingo. We've even managed to get him excited about the upcoming holiday, which helps to lift our own spirits a little more. Though it's an American holiday, I've always insisted that we celebrate Thanksgiving, and everyone in our family enjoys it. The boys always look forward to me making lots of treats, some of them American and some Italian. And except for Phillip's absence, this year will be no different. After all, we still have much to be grateful for.

 * * * 

On the Monday before Thanksgiving, Adagio and I take the whole family out to dinner. Velma and Ted dine with us, as well as my uncle and aunt. We all meet at the restaurant and enjoy a wonderful evening together. I am experiencing a little fatigue, but it doesn't keep me from enjoying myself. I love listening to Pete's stories about his childhood with my mother and the things they did together. He carries a photograph of the two of them as teenagers in his wallet.

Adagio and Jessica examined the photo and comment on how much I favor my mother. Since I've never seen a picture of my mother when she was younger until tonight, I am also surprised at the resemblance.

"She was very pretty," I say, handing the photo back to Pete.

"She was a looker in her younger days," Pete agrees, rubbing his bearded chin. "Even the years of drinking didn't diminish her looks like with most alcoholics."

I silently agree. Most of the alcoholics I've seen look worn and much older than they are. But Geneva Matthews never looked a day over thirty.

"Yeah, she was definitely beautiful," Pete says, looking at the photo once more before returning it to his wallet.

"Like mother, like daughter," Adagio whispers, smiling lovingly at me. I smile back, squeezing his hand under the table. I turn my attention back to Pete as he tells us more about his and Geneva's experiences growing up. Though he doesn't go into much detail because of Ingo being present, he says it was hard growing up with two alcoholic parents. Their childhood was difficult, but they handled things the best they could.

I can definitely relate and understand. I knew alcoholism was the reason my grandparents died so young, and it saddens me that the pattern continued through my own mother, as well as Velma's. But I'm also grateful Velma and I have broken the pattern. We chose a better path. And I hope every day for the strength to stay on that path.

Somehow the conversation steers clear of Gladys and her name is never mentioned, which is fine with everyone. The last thing we want is to add more gloom to the sadness already present. It has truly turned out to be a great evening, one that I will always treasure.

Sixty-six

This morning, I awaken experiencing more nausea than I have ever felt in my life. I have only been sitting up for a moment before I immediately run to the bathroom and lose the food I ate last night.

Adagio appears at my side, rubbing my back. "Are you all right, baby?" he asks, concern etching his face.

"I think so." A sense of melancholy fills me, despite how sick I feel. "But I think I need to lie back down." I rinse and splash cold water on my face before heading back into the bedroom.

When I am settled in bed again, Adagio slips under the covers next to me. Resting my head against his chest, he holds me close, and so many thoughts tumble through my head. I am pretty sure I'm pregnant and the thought brings great comfort to me, especially now when I need it most. Though it does puzzle me a bit that I'm feeling sick so soon. In the past I was usually further along than I or the midwife suspected, but this time I know I can't be because of the month we hadn't made love. Unless it happened before Phillip's kidnapping. Some women are pregnant for months before showing the usual signs. Maybe it has happened to me this time.

Adjusting my head a little to look up at him, I ask, "Would you mind getting me a piece of toast and maybe a small glass of juice?"

"Not at all, amore." Adagio sits up and pulls on a pair of sweat pants, then he stops. He turns and looks at me, his eyes full of wonder. "Cisely?" When I smile, he knows there is no need to finish the question. Instead he asks, "Would you like me to make a trip to the store, too?"

"I think that's a good idea."

He leans over to kiss me. "I love you."

"And I love you."

He grins and I chuckle. Dressing quickly, he brings me the toast and juice. Then making sure I have everything I need, he grabs the car keys and leaves.

Twenty minutes later we both laugh and cry as we examine the positive test result. Adagio hugs me tightly and happiness fills a part the empty space in my heart.

 * * * 

Dublin, Georgia

Sadie enters the house and find Gladys passed out in the chair as usual. She never bothers to enter quietly because Gladys usually sleeps so hard, no amount of noise ever wakes her up. Sadie stands for a moment looking at the grossly overweight woman and her contempt grows.

She is tired of this whole situation and wants her home back. She's fed up with having to pick up after this woman, and tired of spending her entire shift every day worrying about the little boy in the back room. Each time she leaves the house, Sadie prays he will be all right until she gets back. Gladys is supposed to be his grandmother, but she acts like he doesn't even exist most of the time. And Sadie wonders what kind of mother would just dump her child off on someone and leave, if that's what really happened.

Taking her purse and coat to her room, she hurries to check on Michael. Thoughts of him have consumed her throughout the day and she couldn't get home fast enough, needing to make sure he was okay. She muses over how motherly she has become. How has she become so attached to this child? He's never spoken, yet she can feel his sadness. She can see it in his eyes, and she would give anything to see him smile, just once.

When Sadie reaches the bedroom, she cracks the door open slightly and freezes, unable believe what she is seeing. The sight she beholds is as much of a shock as a surprise, and it immediately brings tears to her eyes.

This sweet boy is on his knees with his head bowed, praying softly. It is the first time she has heard him speak. His voice is so soft, so innocent and pure. Sadie covers her mouth with her hand, trying to muffle a sob. She knows absolutely nothing about this child, yet he has ingrained himself in her heart even more with this innocent act.

When she sniffles softly, the boy looks up and jumps to his feet. He crawls back on the bed, backing into the corner.

"It's okay, Michael." she says, hating that she'd frightened him. The last thing she wants to do is scare him into silence again. "It's all right. I'm not going to hurt you. I would never hurt you." She slowly moves toward him and kneels by the side of the bed. "I want to be your friend."

 * * * 

Phillip hedges himself in the corner, still too afraid to believe her. The only thing that has helped him to cope this long is praying. He remembers his mother telling him anytime he is scared or sad, he can talk to God and he would never be alone. The sound of her silky voice as she said this fills his heart every day and has helped him get through the lonely days and nights he's lived through. He would give anything to be in his mother's arms again.

Saddened beyond words by the look of fear he wears, Sadie brightens and smiles at him, hoping she could somehow gain his trust. "Are you hungry, Michael?"

Phillip looks at her for a moment, trying to decide if he could really trust her. Sadie has always been nice to him and seems like she cares. She isn't at all like Gladys. Every time Gladys even looks at him he wants to cry, he is so afraid of her.

Sadie continues to look at him, her eyes pleading. "Wouldn't you like something special for dinner today? I can make anything you like, and if I don't have it, I'll go and buy it." When he continues to silently stare at her, she sighs and moves to get up, but what she hears next stops her.

"My name is not Michael."

Her emotions are mixed, but she isn't too surprised by this. She has felt that something wasn't right for a while now. She speaks to him again, except softer this time. Gladys usually sleeps pretty hard, but she doesn't want to take any chances.

"Would you tell me your real name?"

"Phillip. Phillip St. John."

Sadie is again surprised by the sound of his sweet voice, and she could swear he has an accent. She decides to get all the information she can from him while she has the chance. Hopefully Gladys won't wake up any time soon. She lowers her voice to just above a whisper.

"Phillip is a very nice name. I like it."

Phillip considers her words for a moment and decides maybe he can trust her a little. "My name is the same as my papa."

"Really? I'll bet your papa is nice, huh?"

"He's the best papa in the world," Phillip says, slowly coming out of the corner and his shell.

Sadie thanks the heavens for the information she had gotten from him. "What about your mama? I'll bet she's nice too.

When Phillip hesitates, Sadie wonders about his mother until he says, "My mama is the best mama ever. And she is the prettiest too."

She smiles. It's obvious the little boy loves his parents and they probably love him just as much. She looks at Phillip, really looks at him, and decides he can't possibly be Gladys' grandson. "I'll bet you miss your mama and papa, don't you?"

Phillip's eyes tear up and he nods. "I want to go home."

She covers his small hand with hers. "Where is your home?"

"In Italy."

"Italy?" She briefly wonders if he is indeed making up a story until he speaks again.

"I went to a wedding with Mama and Papa in North Carolina. Mama sang there."

"Really?" she says, growing more intrigued with each thing he reveals. "I'll bet she has a beautiful voice."

Phillip again nods as tears trail down his cheeks. "I want to go home."

"I know," she soothes. "How did you come to be with Gladys?"

"She took me. My brother was there too, but she just took me."

Sadie's heart breaks at his words. For some reason Gladys ripped this little boy from his parents. She wonders how the woman could do something so cruel. How could she do this to his parents? Pondering the anguish they must be going through, her heart aches even more. Those poor people. What they must be going through. I can't even imagine. Looking at Phillip, she knows she has to do something. Somehow she has to get him back to his family.

"Listen, Phillip. I'm going to get you out of here. I've got to get some help somehow."

His eyes light up. "I get to see my mama and papa again?"

"Yes," Sadie whispers, smiling. "I promise you, you will be with them again. Maybe even by Thanksgiving. It's the day after tomorrow. Would you like that?"

"Yes!" Phillip whispers excitedly, his eyes sparkling.

Sadie pauses for a moment to think. She must think of a way to get him out of the house. She could leave now and go to the police, but Gladys will be awake soon and would wonder where she was, and she doesn't want to give her any cause for suspicion. Of course, she did promise Phillip anything he wanted to eat, even if it means going out to buy it. She could go to the police then, but she hates the thought of leaving Phillip alone with Gladys again.

Glancing back at the door, she listens a moment for Gladys, then leans closer to Phillip and whispers, "I'm going to go to the store. While I'm gone, I will try and get help. You just stay quiet like normal and I will be back as soon as I can. Okay?"

Phillip nods quickly. "Please hurry," he whispers. His eyes are drawn toward the door and fear instantly seizes him.

Sadie's heart pounds violently as she slowly turns, her eyes meeting the face that frightened the boy into silence. Taking on a calm facade, her mind quickly works up a story. She hopes it will sound convincing enough.

"What are you doing in here, girl?" Gladys growls, her glassy eyes suspicious.

Sadie's smile is tense. "I was just asking Michael what he would like for dinner tonight. I was going to go out and buy him something special."

Gladys moves her hateful eyes to Phillip. "What did he say?"

Sadie clears her throat. "He said he wanted pizza."

"What else did he tell you," Gladys asks, moving closer, staring at her through hardened eyes.

Sadie rears back a little to avoid the stench of alcohol permeating around the woman. "He didn't say anything else, just pizza. He never says anything, and frankly I was surprised he even answered me." She manages to keep her voice calm.

Gladys stares at Sadie a moment longer. Her head is still fuzzy, but she doesn't believe her, and she isn't willing to take any chances, just in case Phillip told her anything. "That boy don't need no pizza tonight. Just fix him something else." She isn't about to let Sadie out of the house now that Phillip has spoken. Until now, she'd never worried much because he had been too afraid to talk, but she will have to be more careful now.

Sadie remains expressionless, but her stomach is in knots. Her plan for the moment is blown. She turns to Phillip. "I guess you will just have to deal with hot dogs again tonight, kid." She keeps her voice monotone, but a casual wink, unseen by Gladys conveys to Phillip she had meant what she said to him. She will find a way to get him back to his family.

Sixty-seven

Sitting at the kitchen table with a steaming cup of hot chocolate, I make a list of things I need to buy for our Thanksgiving meal. I will probably be sick in the morning, but I am determined to get all the cooking done. Thankfully, I have a whole day to prepare, and I have Adagio and Jessica here to help, which will make things easier.

Last week I invited Velma and Ted, as well as Pete and Dona to spend the holidays with us, but they all have plans. Velma and Ted are heading out tomorrow morning to spend Thanksgiving with his family in New York. Pete and Dona are driving up to Virginia to spend the holidays with their son. I'm a little sad they will all be gone because I've grown so used to having them around now, but I understand they have their own lives.

Checking my list over, I add a few more things like crackers, croissants, and more juice, because I will definitely need them for a while. Smiling, I press a hand over my flat stomach. We have hoped for more children, and this pregnancy has come right when I need something to help lift my spirits. When we told Jessica the news earlier in the day, she was so happy for us, she cried. I'm so grateful to have her here, and once Phillip is found and we go back to Italy, I will miss her more than I can say. I make a mental note to talk to Adagio about taking another trip to Salt Lake City next year.

I stir my chocolate and take a sip, savoring its sweet warmth while my thoughts again turn to our missing son. I pray he is somewhere warm and getting enough to eat, and I hope he remembers what I taught him about praying when he is afraid or sad.

Closing my eyes tightly, I try unsuccessfully to fight the tears that come as I picture Phillip on his knees offering up humble prayers to heaven.

He is all right. He will be back with us soon.

I remind myself to remain positive and have faith. Willing away the sadness, I dry my eyes and shift my thoughts elsewhere. I am startled by the sound of the doorbell. A moment later Adagio sticks his head in the kitchen.

"Amore, someone is here to see you. She said she was a guest at the wedding, but I do not recall seeing her there."

I'm instantly curious. "All right, I'll be right there." I fold the list and put it in my pocket before going to the living room. The young woman is sitting on the sofa. I don't recognize her from the wedding, either. Of course, there were a lot of guests.

"Hello."

The woman stands. "Hello. "I'm Janet Cook." She extends her hand and and I shake it firmly. "I'm an old acquaintance of Velma's and I wasn't at the reception long, so I didn't have a chance to meet you."

"Well, I'm glad I have the pleasure of meeting you now."

"I'm happy to meet you, too. I hope I'm not keeping you from anything, but I just felt the need to see you."

 "No, I'm not busy at all." I gesture to the sofa. "Please, have a seat."

"Thank you."

"Well, thank you for coming to visit. I'm always happy to meet new people. What brings you by?"

"Well . . . I uh . . . I just wanted to tell you how sorry I was to hear about your little boy."

"Thank you." I am moved by this woman's compassion for someone she has never met until today. The support we've received from new friends and neighbors means a great deal, and we will never be able to repay their kindness. I notice Janet wringing her hands nervously.

"Do you have children?"

Tears fill her eyes. "I had a little girl. I lost her about four years ago. She was only three."

"I'm so sorry." I lean forward and squeeze her hand gently, my heart going out to her. "Do you mind if I ask what happened?"

"Not at all. That is why I felt such a strong need to meet you. You see, my ex-husband was a very hard man. He was abusive, not physically, but verbally and emotionally. When I finally divorced him after three years of dealing with his abuse, he swore he would get even with me." She chuckles bitterly. "Well, he got even with me all right. He took Kelly from me. He took her from a friend's home one day while I was at work. The police were never able to find him. They think he left the country."

I wipe at the tears that come nonstop before moving to the sofa and hugging her. We know nothing about each other, yet we share a common bond. That her story is so much like mine is uncanny. I move back, looking into the woman's eyes.  "I'm so sorry."

"Thank you. It's a little easier now, not much but a little. I still pray every day that he is taking care of her and keeping her safe. In my heart I feel she is okay, but it's still hard knowing she is out there in the world somewhere and I might not ever see her again." She squeezes my hand. "I hope things turn out different for you. I hope you get your son back."

"We pray for that every day as well. And I hope you will get to see your daughter again."

Janet nods, her voice catching in her throat. "I want that more than anything."

I smile sadly, aching for her. I've just finished drying my face when Adagio walks in.

"Is everything okay?"

"Everything is fine." I motion for him to join us. He sits next to me and I tell him about Janet's missing daughter. Compassion immediately fill his eyes and he expresses his sympathy to Janet.

We talk with her for a while longer and a friendship quickly forms between us. Her visit helps me to remember I really am not the only mother in the world suffering the pain of having a child taken from her. I'm grateful she came, and grateful for the opportunity to get to know her.

"Do you have plans for the holidays?" I ask.

"Actually, I do. My sister has invited me to spend Thanksgiving with her family in Nashville."

"That's good. But if something should happen and your plans fall through, you're definitely welcome here."

"Thank you," Janet says with a smile.

Before she leaves, I hug her and thank her again for coming to see me. She promises to keep in touch.

Moving to the window, I watch her drive away, again grateful to have made a friend.

"She is a great lady," Adagio says, moving behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"She is." I sigh, leaning my head back against his shoulder. "But she has no one to lean on." Reaching back, I press a hand to his face. "Thank you for being a steady rock, for loving me unconditionally and not giving up on me."

My eyes slip shut as his lips rummage my ear, the sensation sending instant heat through me. I release a breathy sigh as his mouth languorously explores the side of my neck, searing a burning path to my temple. Oh, what he does to me!

"That will never change, baby," he finally whispers against my ear, producing a warm shiver. Turning me in his arms, he lightly presses his mouth to mine, whispering again, "That will never change."

Sixty-eight

Dublin, Georgia

Sadie turns over in the darkness and looks at the clock. It is just past midnight. Getting up, she quietly dresses in the jeans and sweater she had placed on the chair earlier. With thoughts of what she'd planned running through her head earlier, she had known she wouldn't be able to sleep, but she'd dressed for bed anyway. The last thing she had wanted to do was give Gladys any cause for suspicion.

Sadie had felt Gladys watching her throughout the evening, and remembering the hateful way the woman looked at her before she went to bed makes her shudder. She shakes her head, still not able to believe she is having to plan an escape from her own home.

She quickly puts on some socks and a pair of running shoes, and locates her purse and jacket. Opening her dresser drawer, she takes a large wad of cash from under the folded clothes and stuffs it in the pocket of her jeans. Taking a deep breath, she turns off the bedroom light and quickly moves down the hall to Phillip's room.

Sadie quietly opens the door and whispers Phillip's name. After shaking him gently, he sits up and rubs the sleep from his eyes, trying to adjust them in the darkness.

"Come on, honey. I'm going to get you out of here." She unfolds a small blanket and wraps it around him, wishing she had a coat that would fit him. She places her hand against his cheek. "Everything is going to be okay. But we have to be really quiet, all right?"

Phillip nods and grips her hand, anticipating being with his parents again. Thoughts of seeing them and his brother had made it hard for him to fall asleep.

"Are you ready?" she whispers and Phillip nods, holding tightly to her hand. Sadie turns toward the door, and they begin quietly making her way down the hallway when something hard crashes against her head. The last thing she hears is Phillip's scream before losing consciousness.

 * * * 

I silently lay in bed next to Adagio and look through the window at the moonlit forest. I don't know why I have awakened, and the harder I try to go back to sleep, the more sleep eludes me. Not wanting to wake him, I quietly slip out of bed and go to the kitchen, deciding a cup of chamomile tea might help. I don't normally have a problem sleeping when I'm pregnant, but staying awake is usually a challenge.

Taking my tea to the living room, I stretch out on the sofa and try to relax. I sip my tea and mentally tally up all the things I need to do to prepare for Thanksgiving. I am glad for all the work because it keeps me busy and my mind occupied. It would be so easy to dwell on the fact that our son won't be sharing the holiday with us, but I can't allow myself to do that. I want to make the day as special as I can for my family, and I need to be emotionally intact to do that.

I run a hand back through my shoulder-length hair, still trying to get used to the new length. I got it cut last week after years of wearing it down my back. The stylist I went to did a good job and I am pleased with her new look. I still wear it straight, but the layered ends are slightly turned under, softly framing my face. I also have wispy bangs, which give me a youthful appearance. I smile, remembering the look on Adagio's face when I came home. He told her over and over how beautiful I looked and couldn't stop staring. Of course he always thinks I am beautiful. I just felt like I needed a change. And being pregnant, it will grow out again soon.

Rubbing my tired eyes, I look around the spacious living room, sighing as I take it in. It truly is a beautiful condo and I'm grateful to finally be emotionally whole enough to appreciate its beauty. I remember how I often rode the bus through this neighborhood when I was younger, gazing at the elegant homes. I recall passing these very condos, trying to imagine what the interior of one was like, and I ponder the irony.

I could never have guessed I would again be living in the town I grew up in. It hadn't been a part of my plans. But things don't always go quite the way you plan. I am forever discovering this fact the hard way, but I also know this life is a learning process, and I am okay with that.

I am just finishing my tea when Adagio appears in the doorway. He doesn't sleep well when I'm not beside him and I am the same. He pushes a hand back through his disheveled hair. "Can you not sleep, amore?"

"I'm having a hard time relaxing. Can you believe it? Me, pregnant and not able to sleep?"

Joining me on the sofa, he begins to gently massage my shoulders. "Things are different with this pregnancy. You are going through so much right now. We all are." He sighs wearily. "And things are not the same without Phillip. How can they be?"

I close my eyes against the burning tears, but they escape anyway. "I miss him so much." I press a hand against my mouth as a muffled sob escapes.

Adagio turns me and pulls me against his chest as his own tears come. "I miss him too, baby" he says pressing his lips into my hair. "I miss him so much it hurts. But I know everything will be all right."

Drawing back a little, I look into his eyes. "Me too. But thank you for reminding me and for being strong enough for the both of us."

"I draw a lot of my strength from you these days." He kisses my brow.

Smiling, I rest my head against his chest, basking in the love we share. I finally close my eyes and try to clear my mind, focusing only on positive things. I can't dwell on the negative and still keep my sanity.

 * * * 

When Cisely's breathing deepens and she is asleep, Adagio tilts her head back slightly and gazes down at her face. Pulling her closer, he presses his lips to her brow, breathing in the scent of her hair. How he loves this woman! She is in his every thought, his every dream, and he needs her like he needs air to breathe. He can't even sleep unless she is within his reach. Her presence fills him, and he can barely remember what his life was like without her.

"I love you, baby," he whispers against her brow. "Il mia bella angelo." His lips linger on her forehead a moment longer before he stands, lifting her in his arms.

She awakens and smiles sleepily as he carries her, wrapping her arms around his neck. "You're so good to me," she says softly.

He kisses her lips and gently places her on the bed. "And I always will be."

Sixty-nine

Dublin, Georgia

Sadie presses her hand against the back of her throbbing head, the pain growing worse with each movement. Though she'd never been hit by a truck, she can't imagine it feeling any worse. Pushing herself up enough to reach the light switch, she leans against the wall to keep from falling. Tears seep from her closed eyes as she thinks about Phillip and the danger he is in.

It's all my fault. How could I have been so careless?

Holding the back of her head, she staggers to the bathroom and turns on the light, not the least bit shocked to see blood on her hand when she pulls it away from her head. If she did this to me, there's no telling what she will do to Phillip. She moans as pain shoots through her whole head. I have to get help.

Sadie presses a towel to the wound and winces. She picks up the phone on the table near the bathroom door to call the police, but the line is dead.

I should have known.

Pulling on the cord, she finds that it has been cut, certain the other two probably are as well. Staggering back down the hallway, she picks up her purse, futilely searching for her car keys, then moves as quickly as she can to the front window only to discover her car is no longer there.

It figures.

Sadie lives so far away from town, she will have to walk two miles to get to the nearest bus stop, and there aren't any buses running this time of night. She realizes the remote location of her home is probably one of the reasons Gladys chose to stay there. Feeling her pocket, she sighs with relief, grateful Gladys hadn't thought to search them. She still has the cash she'd stuffed in them earlier.

With a great deal of effort, Sadie puts on a heavier coat. The walk will be hard, but she has no choice. She needs to get to the police and tell them about Phillip. And she is determined to make it to the station.

Even if it kills her. 

* * *

Sadie collapses onto the bus stop bench. She is in so much pain, she wonders if she can make it all the way into town. Leaning forward, she holds her head in her hands, trying to catch her breath and find some relief. She closes her eyes and begins to cry, not able to believe her life has come to this. For over two months now, she has been most likely harboring a fugitive. She has housed an evil woman who kidnapped a child and caused misery to a family.

Slowly lifting her head, Sadie takes a deep breath. She is miserable but continues to fight thoughts of her own discomfort. She has to, because there is a little boy out there somewhere who needs her to fight for him. She is the only one who can.

Biting back the pain, she focuses on the Christmas advertisements posted on the acrylic shelter around the bench. She has never taken the bus, because she's always had reliable transportation, and even if she didn't, the prospect of a two mile walk to the bus stop every day isn't very appealing. Each time she passes this stop on her way to work, she notices it is covered with advertisements for one thing or another. She wonders how many people in her neck of the woods ever venture to any of the expensive stores advertised there. She doubts many can afford it. She definitely can't.

Turning and letting her eyes scan the various posters, her heart literally stops for a second, her eyes growing large as Phillip's face stares back at her from a missing child poster next to a photo of Gladys. Her voice catches as she reads the information under the pictures.

Adagio Phillip St. John II

Age: 5

Race: Biracial – Black/Italian descent

Height: 3 feet

Hair: brownish-black

Eyes: green

Last seen with: Gladys Baker

Age: 57

Race: Black

Hair: Black

Eyes: Brown

Call if you have any information

Reward offered.

Closing her eyes, Sadie lifts her face heavenward as hot tears spill down her cheeks, her hands forming fists. "How could I have been so stupid? Because of my stupidity, Phillip has been kept from his family, and now they might not ever see him again." Her voice breaks. "God, please help me. Help me to help Phillip."

She presses her face into her hands and cries helplessly, feeling alone and hopeless. She will never be able to live with herself if anything happens to Phillip, so she continues to plead to the heavens for help. She needs to make it to the station, but she is in so much pain, she can hardly move.

Taking a deep breath, she makes an effort to get up when a car approaches and stops.

"Are you all right, honey?" the woman calls through her window.

Sadie wipes her face. "I need to get to the police station."

The woman's brows draw together in concern. "Well, come on and I'll take you."

"Thank you," Sadie says with a grateful sob. As she stands and moves toward the car, her knees buckle and she falls. The woman jumps out and helps her to walk around to the passenger's side.

"I think maybe I should take you to the hospital instead," she says, seeing fresh blood roll down the back of Sadie's neck. "I work in housekeeping there and I'm on my way in now."

"No, please," Sadie says as she collapses into the seat. "I need to get to the police. I have information about a kidnapping."

"Good heavens!" The woman closes the door. As she pulls out onto the road she introduces herself. "My name is Helen Grant."

"Sadie Roberts." Sadie continues to hold her head. The pain is excruciating and she is just barely hanging on to consciousness. "I'm grateful for your help, Helen. It was a miracle you came when you did. You were an answer to my prayers."

Helen gives a small smile. "I'm happy I can be an answer to someone's prayers. I've certainly had plenty of mine answered lately."

When they finally arrive at the station, Helen walks around and opens the door for Sadie, helping her to stand. Sadie leans against her and they walk into the building. The officer at the front desk looks up just as Sadie's legs give out and she goes down, almost taking Helen with her.

"What happened?" he asks, rushing to them.

"I was driving by and saw her sitting at the bus stop. She told me she was trying to make it here, but she was in so much pain, she had to stop."

The officer gently lifts her head and examines the bloody mass on the back. "Someone got her pretty good."

Sadie loses consciousness and the officer calls for an ambulance. While they wait, he questions Helen and she tells him all she knows. When the ambulance finally arrives and leaves to take Sadie to the emergency room, Helen follows, hoping she will be okay.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

569K 23.3K 34
Isobel encounters many challenges when she moves to Italy, but managing a long-distance relationship is the biggest one...
77.6K 3K 24
When 23 year old Ava Monroe decides to abandon her life in America and move to Italy for as long as her heart desires, all she wants is to start and...
3.6K 347 50
"I want to love you again, but I don't know how. Maybe I'm not like the moon. The moon is pure, an incandescent light in the midst of bitter darkness...
1.6K 149 24
After the 24-year-old, content creator and influencer Muna Amadi was betrayed by her boyfriend and bestfriend, she decided to move to New York for a...