Mystic High ✓

Oleh ivanakeynes

Oriane Moore, the new addition to the Diana Mist College, recently discovered that she is a witch. Or more sp... Lebih Banyak

Glossary
MH │0
MH │1
MH │2
MH │3
MH │4
MH │5
MH │6
MH │7
MH │8
MH │9
MH │10
MH │12
MH │13
MH │14
MH │15
MH │16
MH │17
MH │18
MH │19
MH │20
MH │21
MH │22
MH │23
MH │24
MH │25
MH │26
MH │27
MH │28
MH │29
MH │30
MH │31
MH │32
MH │33
MH │34
MH │35
MH │36
MH │37
MH │38
MH │39
MH │40
MH │41
MH │42
MH │43
MH │44
MH │45
MH │46
MH │47
MH │48
MH │49
MH │50
MH │51
MH │52
MH │53
MH │54
MH │55
MH │56
MH │57

MH │11

15K 749 60
Oleh ivanakeynes

Previously: Oriane and Marian overheard some lecturers talk about students disappearing. When they got back to their dorms, they found Jessica missing. The girls then went looking for Jessica in the previous chapter and discovered her cornered by four female weres. Marian and Charlotte frightened them away but have yet to find out who was behind the attack. 

-----

CHAPTER ELEVEN

The dining hall was bustling with noise. Trays and other catering supplies were clattering. Utensils scurrying across plates in efforts to finish supper sooner. Weres and elementals, even the fae-kind, drivelled on amongst their own kind.

After that afternoon, Oriane had a hard time looking at any of the weres. She distinguished them by their carefree attitudes and roughness that the other races did not possess. 

But everyone else acted like nothing suspicious had ever happened; and that sat uncomfortably with her even though she knows there is no way for them to have realised what happened. None of the girls had ratted on them, and she supposed those werewolves wouldn't tell on their own.

As Oriane walked past tables, she overheard something about a party tonight near the boys dormitory. That made sense. No wonder, at six in the evening, students were already filing out the hall.

It was just Oriane, Marian, and Charlotte that evening. Jessica wasn't feeling well and decided to pass up on joining them. Fair enough that she likely traumatised herself and wanted to be left alone for a while. Oriane pursed her lips and nodded to herself sympathetically. Though she wasn't the one attacked, she had difficulty assuaging those goosebumps up and down her arm. Perhaps she should have stayed indoors as well however she was hungry.

Yet, Marian and Charlotte acted like nothing at all had happened. No signs that they were at all affected, not even a shiver. They walked straight on ahead to their usual table near the tall windows, cast with orange light from the setting sun reflecting on the trees outside. The entire row of tables by the window looked like it was lit with imaginary fires.

When they found their seats, Charlotte smiled serenely and offered to get the food, leaving the table. Her long red skirts swaying at her knees with every tap of her flats. Oriane found that Charlotte was the daintier one of the group. She wondered how she managed to be friends with Marian and Jessica who were both not quite as delicate.

Marian rapped on the table to draw her attention. "You're not freaking out about what happened earlier, right?"

Oriane was going for airy but her voice came out soft like timid mouse. "Not at all. I'm good," she replied, wrapping her arms around herself. "Thanks though. For asking."

The Spanish reached out and took her right hand gently into hers, smoothly over the skin reassuringly. "Listen, Anna. Did we or did we not kick a** this afternoon?"

That brought out a hint of a smile. "We did."

With a fearless laugh,Marian cocked her head to the side and proclaimed, "Of course we did! We are powerful elementals! Way cooler than all the other races.Even if worse things happen, we will still keep kicking a**." At Oriane's nervous laugh, she added, "And you too! Don't think you could be any less amazing than me!"

'Could be'... What if she never could? The answer to that would likely come around eventually. At the moment, she felt weak because if someone had cornered her like they had Jessica... 

Oriane shivered. She didn't want to think about it.

But she choked out a"thank you" to Marian and pretended that everything's going to be alright.

She didn't belong here. Why was she even brought here by a grandmother she never knew and expectations she would never fulfil. Suddenly feeling lacking and inadequate, the full blunt force of it, all Oriane wanted then was to hide up in her room with Toffee cradled to her chest. Her sweet toffee coloured cat felt like the only constant in her life.

Marian saw that there was no way she could cheer her up so she let go of her hand and sat back. Sighing loudly. The corner of her spectacles and pentagram pendant gleamed golden from the ceiling lights.

Oriane didn't want her new friend to feel like she couldn't help her. She appreciated her effort but no words could have eased the discomfiture flooding her mind and heart. Because – what if she stayed inadequately mortal?The impression that the Chancellor had made on her first day made her wonder at the consequences. 

They couldn't possibly send her back to London now, could they? That might make her a liability to the immortals and the magickal world they inhabit. If she couldn't besent back, they wouldn't... Another shiver rocked her. She didn't want to die yet.

At sixteen, she was young and inexperienced. There were plenty of things that she hadn't done,hadn't put her mind to. What if she got into an accident here at the college? This place, she came to the conclusion, was a dangerous arena without some way to protect and defend herself. A far cry from the serenity of the Catholic private school she attended before. For one, even if the girls then there were a tad mean, they wouldn't attempt at really causing damage. Secondly, no one was equipped with their own brand of a weapon. Oriane shook her head in dismay. She was defenceless and without talent. That made her very uncomfortable. She should have stayed in London. Gone into hiding with her savings or something.

It didn't take Charlotte long to bring over the trays of food. In her arms was a ridiculously large bowl sitting atop a tray. It was piled with pizzas and pastas so on. Floating at her side were four water bottles. They danced in the air.

Of course, Charlotte had a water affinity. Even so, it still looked bloody incredible to Oriane's eyes; though, she was probably the only one in the dining hall who paid attention to it.

As a matter of fact, now that Oriane stepped a little outside of her internal bubble and looked around, the dining hall was already three quarters empty. One of the tables was occupied by Elle and her group of friends. However,no signs of the werewolves from this afternoon. Oriane then wondered why the vampires never showed when there were still others within the hall. They ate later then? Not that it's any of her business. She just wanted to speak with Carolina the receptionist.

Charlotte carefully set the food down on the table and took her seat. From her pocket, she produced a couple pieces of fruits and candy bars. "I got some of these for Jessica, in case she got kinda hungry later on."

"Yeah," approved Marian with a nod. She crossed her arms around her waist. "Hey, you know, it's really weird that Jessica suddenly got all sick and stuff.What's up with that?"

Charlotte shrugged, "No clue. Cramps, maybe?" She distributed some white ceramic plates between them and tossed up the pasta in the bowl with a blue-coloured clamp. "We can ask her after dinner."

"Whatever."

They picked up their slices of pizza and spooned up a bit of pasta. Charlotte and Marian seemed ravenous, short of wolfing down their food in one big gulp.They didn't, obviously. Quietly working their way into each lump and scrap. 

Oriane looked down at her own small portion of the meal and wondered they stayed so fit.

Tonight they were having Margherita and Meat-Lover pizza, along with a healthy lot of bolognese pasta. Oriane stuck to the cheese pizza and only tossed one spoonful of spaghetti for herself. That and she ate slowly compared to her companions.

When she took her first few bites, high-heeled shoes clicked towards them. It was Elle in her short boots, denim skirt and vest, and white singlet. Oriane noticed she also fancied a silver leaf-shaped brooch on her right breast. Her entourage was looking over but otherwise stayed considerably far away that they wouldn't pry.

Marian didn't raise her head but continued eating. She shifted and sat up straighter, more confident. Oriane sneaked a peak at Charlotte who also seemed slightly more alert, taking a deep breath, holding it, and resting her hands, no longer eating.

So, Oriane stopped eating as well and tucked her hands under the table, biting her lower lip and sucking it in nervously.

With a flick of her blonde hair, Elle looked down at the trio and smirked. "Where's your other little friend?"

Marian looked up then,eyes narrowing into slits. "Why do you care? Go crawl back to where you came from."

"How ironic," Elle's smirk curled into a rather mean grin. "I heard from a little birdie that it was your friend who ended up crawling this afternoon. Too ashamed to show her face?"

"You!" She stood up with a crash, chair falling backwards behind her. Marian pointed a perfectly black manicured finger at Elle, its tip was charged with an orange glow. "You're the one who ordered the stupid attack! I should have guessed!"

Marian's rage must have taken Charlotte by surprise because she too stood up – but slowly and cautiously – eyes staring at the orange glow. As if she didn't want to aggravate a lioness staring down her prey. The rest of the dining hall was silent, staring at them now. Oriane continued seating and looked around anxiously, wide eyed. Where were the teachers?

"This sure brings back memories, am I right?" Elle chuckled. She feigned nonchalant,casually appraising her sparkling light blue nails. Then her crystal blue eyes glared sharply into Marian's brown ones. Oriane jumped in response. She wasn't sure she had ever seen such an acute look in someone's eyes before. The rage in either of them paralleled each other. "Tell her to stay out of my way if she doesn't want another accident to happen."

"Jessica has never been in your way," retorted Marian pointedly.

Elle's gaze turned into an icy frown and hissed low, like she didn't want her friends on the other side of the dining hall to hear her, "I'm not interested in Jessica hanging around my friends." She grabbed Marian's finger between her two; the orange glow flickered. "Phoebe is on my side and I'm not about to make nice with someone on yours."

Marian shook off Elle's touch, flipping her hand back to her side. "Agreed."

They stared each other down for a few more seconds. Two elementals on the brink of mutual destruction. Charlotte shook her head slightly at them. She flattened her lips disapprovingly.

"I saw the way she looked at Zach. Remind her that he's mine." At that, Elle turned and strutted back to her table, where her friends cooed at her –like she was the one who needed a bit of comforting.

Oriane watched Marian's eyes turn from rage, to embarrassment, then finally to uneasiness. She abruptly sat back down and shoved a fork-full of food down her throat. Her eyes appeared to water-up a tad.

Charlotte muttered under her breath, a disingenuous chuckle escaped, "So, it's again about a boy. I wonder if Zach knows what a big fuss Elle makes because of him."

First week of school and it's all so complex, Oriane thought exasperatedly. Reaching herhand out, she touched Marian's clenched left fist in comfort but saidnothing. What could she possibly say? No one filled her in on the full story so she didn't want to say anything presumptuous. The last thing Oriane wanted to do was for Marian to feel cornered or whatnot.

Food was pushed away,appetites gone. The trio sat in silence for a while, the air thick with unspoken secrets.

-----

Jessica's room was a mess with clothes strewn everywhere and homework left piled up on the dusty mahogany desk. Some drawers were open, the contents inside were as cluttered as what was out. Oriane spied several unwashed drink bottles laying about. Either she was usually this grubby or that she, in the spur of a moment, decided to unleash a tornado onto her belongings. Jessica was laid out on her bed under the washed out pink duvet, dark olive skin faded, and hair tied into a messy bun on top of her head. She looked awful: the dark eye bags under eye and lips that twisted into a grimace.

The door was unlocked when they knocked. Marian proceeded to kick her way through the mess as soon as she got in, Charlotte and Oriane following closely. 

They brought Jessica a cool lemonade and some snacks and baked goods. Hopefully that was enough for now. When asked why not bring her some hot food, Charlotte had replied that the cafeteria ladies were not inclined nor facilitated to allow anyone to bring food out of the dining hall.

Poor Jessica. She wouldn't have more to eat until six in the morning tomorrow. Oriane was sure that if she was sick herself, she would much prefer hot food over mere snack bars and cold fruit. Still, it was better than nothing.

On that note, Marian slid onto the bed with Jessica. She reached out and touched the back of her right hand to her forehead gently. "No fever, thank the goddess."

Jessica must have been woken up by the sudden voice. She slowly blinked her eyes open, looking disorientated for a tick. "Marian? Guys? What are you doing in here?" Her head swerved around. "And my room is stupidly messy," she swallowed. Her voice sounded scratchy, like it was very dry and equally irritated.

Oriane stepped forward and knelt in front of the bed. "I- I hope you're feeling better. We brought you some... erm... muesli bars and fruits," she said and offered a small handful of the snack bars. 

Charlotte put away some rubbish that were on the side table and replaced them with a basket full of fruits and cupcakes.

"Help me sit her up,"Marian nodded, smiling ruefully for Jessica.

Oriane sat at the edge and put one arm around Jessica, lifting her back up and slipping a pillow that Marian handed her behind her back. As she moved, Jessica clutched her belly with a free hand and clenched her teeth. Under her arm, she appeared to be shivering. Was it from pain or cold?

What on earth has happened? She was fine not two hours ago. Oriane rubbed her own forehead gingerly.

That was certainly abnormal. Oriane had trouble linking the attack to Jessica's now belly-ache. Was she fed something? Hexed even? "Should we get the nurse?" she asked them all worriedly.

Jessica widened her eyes. "No! No, no, no. I'm fine. Fantastic even. It'll pass," she exclaimed, but winced immediately after.

Charlotte cleared her throat and walked over to the door helpfully. "I'll go," she offered and Marian nodded. "I won't be long. You think someone will still be at the infirmary so late?"

But then Jessica turned hysterical. She cried out, "No! Please, don't get the nurse. I'll be fine! I just need something to eat!" She opened one packet and took a bite of the snack. It didn't seem to make her feel any better at all. She groaned loudly and seemed to double over. Marian grabbed the nearest bucket she could find and lifted it to Jessica, who heaved.

At the sight, Charlotte was panic-stricken. "Jess! We should get someone with a medical training to see you," Charlotte pleaded. Concern over one of her best friends turned her into a mother hen. "You're clearly not feeling well and it's making you delirious. You need to get this checked out. What if its poison?"

Oh dear. Oriane hadn't even considered poison. Another thing that was a common happening here at the college? This was getting ridiculous! How could anyone be allowed to carry poisons around a school area? Unless, they were all over thinking the situation. It couldn't be poisons now, could it?Oriane grew nervous for Jessica, who only heaved some more.

"Calm down, girls. It'snot poison," reassured Marian, who was rubbing Jessica's back."She's not sweating her eyeballs out. If it's poison, it's probably a tiny bit. I mean, if someone really wanted to poison her, how can it just affect her gut?"

"That's true."Charlotte sighed loudly. "I still think she needs to get checked out. It could be contagious."

"It's not contagious– uh... I don't think anyway," winked Marian, clearly trying to lighten the mood. Not that it worked. Oriane and Charlotte both looked apprehensively at her until she caved and frowned back at the two. "Fine. We'll get her to the infirmary. Actually, someone should probably go get whoever. I don't think she can walk."

"No... Listen... Please Mari–"

"Ah ah! Not another word!" Marian chided and tried to tuck her back down with Oriane's help. Jessica coughed lightly but didn't protest further. She looked exhausted and in pain. Any sudden movements would trigger it.

Oriane handed her some tissues she found on the desk and handed them to Marian who cleaned Jessica up as best as she could. She still looked amazing though, her hair retained that caramel shine, only her complexion was sunken.

"I'll go now then,"affirmed Charlotte.

Marian gave a nod then turned to Oriane, "Why don't you go with her? I'll keep her company for the moment."

"Y-yeah. Of course."Oriane promptly got up and followed Charlotte. She was already half afoot out the door and was waiting for her to catch up. They closed the door quietly, as if afraid to disturb Jessica's peace.

The corridor was silent when they stepped out. Oriane and Charlotte's shoes clacked against the polished wooden floors and echoed down its length. It was eerie.There was not another soul around – that much is sure. Everyone seemed to have gone anywhere but their dormitories. Perhaps to the party that people had been whispering about all evening? Not to mention, Oriane found that this college always boasted an unsettling atmosphere.

All of a sudden, a door slammed from above them.

-----

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

3.7K 152 20
"You have powers." "She isn't even human!" "She has awakened the element, which hasn't been touched since Great War Between Nations!" "She may never...
2.6K 103 11
Urban Fantasy - Romantic Fantasy - Dark Fantasy - Paranormal Rory tells herself it's a trick of the light. That she can't actually see the spirits o...
4.6K 978 42
After a terrible accident, Everly swore to never use her magic again. Buried and rejected for six years, her magic finally breaks free despite her be...
248K 20.6K 62
Expelled from her old school for a crime she didn't commit, Ivy must gain the trust of the High Pack at Ridgeview Academy to stop her new home from g...