MH │51

In the previous chapter: Oriane lost control of the god fire again. Uilliam's own seal unwitting broke and subsequently he regained his godhood, transforming into Ahriman.

-----

CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE

Thinking back to last week's fiasco, Oriane shuddered. Toffee purred and patted her chin with a paw in response, trying to comfort her.

It had to be the most shocking thing anyone could ever witness.

Surely.

She wasn't counting on that though. She was beginning to see that life in this world was going to be full of the most absurd surprises.

Not to mention, she still had no idea what he was. For all she knew, he really was a demon in disguise, what with the horns and such.

Oriane was starting to feel numb from the constant bombardment of crazy happenstances. Did that mean she was really getting used to this? That she was beginning to accept that this was life?

Her old life, only a mere two months ago, felt like a lifetime ago. She had learned so much over the past few weeks that she had simply had to give up on expectations, rather, just accept her reality was this way. Otherwise, she'd likely go mad.

Cultists operating at the bottom of the school? Buildings blowing up? Teachers turning into demons? That's nothing special, really.

It helped that classes had resumed the following day. Rooms were further divided. In the same way, they could manipulate the spaces between each dormitory, they had done so for the classrooms to reallocate and fit all the students, teachers, and researchers. A convenient magickal solution.

Life resumed as normal thereafter like a tower hadn't blown up.

Amid the usual assignments and essays, everyone was abuzz with conversation about what happened though. Crazy and rather ludicrous rumours abound, yet there was no official statement from the Council. So, it looked like no one was really aware what was going on nor who was involved.

Not to mention, the Festival had been indefinitely postponed. The finals would be hosted at a later time. Perhaps as entertainment for the winter solstice, apparently.

Oriane doubted all the Councillors were involved in the Rosicrucians' schemes. They were likely the ones more eager than ever to find out who was responsible. But if there were several moles on the Council, that job would be very difficult indeed.

She had gotten through the week with her head down trying to catch up. Her worst subject had got to be the General History and Remedies. The former she didn't exactly have a clue about until she got here, and the latter because she couldn't quite understand the concepts. A lot had to do with understanding how the aura worked and remedial magicks. She hadn't even a drop of that in her ¾ aside from the god fire, the white flames, which didn't count since she couldn't control it.

If she wasn't studying and catching up on the assignments, she was being dragged around by Marian and Charlotte. They acted reluctant to leave her on her own for too long, likely anticipating she'd get herself into trouble. Instead, Marian and Charlotte kept her busy well into the evenings, until she insisted on returning to her room to read up.

The textbooks and various required readings that would simply appear at her study were piling up. In fact, she had trouble finding time to make notes for everything she had to read. Charlotte tried to help but somethings she just had to figure out for herself. Besides, she couldn't exactly have someone else complete her work for her.

The weekend had come and went. Charlotte stayed with her rather than out to Mistreach to make sure she was right with the assignments. Then, they had walked around the hallways with Marian until late, just exploring.